Author's Chapter Notes:
*squishy hugs* to Sue for the beta job.



Thanks to: Riahannon, marstersgirl13, albie, spufette, PhotographyNut, Megan, Debbie, spuffology101, DaniD, effection, SarahandJamesFanatic and luxferi for the reviews.
Chapter 13: Decisions.


Beth watched Buffy and Spike with intrigue. The air between the two of them was… tense. She didn’t know why they fought it, when they both obviously wanted the same thing. Each other. She turned back to her conversation; occasionally throwing glances their way.

~~~

An hour or so later the bus pulled up in the valet parking section of a large hotel. Buffy waited for Spike to get up, gathering her stuff once he left. He hadn’t spoken to her since the ‘wrong page’ conversation, and she had made no attempt to get him to speak. His body language was quite clear.

Slipping her small backpack over her shoulders, she moved off the bus and waited while their larger bags were unloaded from the stowage. She soon found her duffel, and hauled it over her shoulder before she walked towards the lobby where the Coach was sorting out their rooms.

She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she hadn’t even heard the person sneak up behind her.

“Honey!”

Buffy’s jaw dropped, her hold on her bag tightening at the sound of that voice, a voice that she instantly recognised.

“Dad?” she asked nervously.

Hank Summers took a step towards his daughter and frowned when she flinched. “I thought we could go get something to eat, catch up. I have someone I want you to meet.”

“Dad, I can’t tonight,” she started, closing her eyes for a second painfully, knowing exactly who it was he wanted her to meet.

The woman you left Mom for…

“It’s just dinner, Buffy,” he pointed out smoothly, taking hold of her arm. “We’ll drop your bags off in your room and then head out.”

“No, Dad, I can’t. We’ve got a team meeting.”

“So someone else can fill you in,” he insisted.

“Dad, I really can’t.”

Hank took her duffel from her shoulder and placed it on the ground, Buffy reacting by taking another step back.

“Buffy, why are you being so difficult? You agreed to visit me whilst you were here.”

“Yes, but tomorrow, when I have more time. Dad, please, I have to go,” Buffy pleaded, reaching for her bag.

Hank frowned. “I don’t see what the big deal is, Buffy, I thought you’d be happy to see me. Now let’s go.”

“Dad, no…” Buffy struggled against his hold.

“Buffy,” Hank’s voice was low as his anger slowly crept into his words. “You will come with me now or…”

“I believe she said she couldn’t come with you tonight,” a voice interrupted.

Buffy turned to see Spike standing beside her, holding her duffel over his shoulder. His expression was firm, and she had never been so relieved to see him looking so angry. “You coming, Buffy? We’ve got a team meeting.”

Buffy nodded quickly. “Yes… I’m coming.”

Hank clenched his jaw, but let his daughter’s arm go, not wanting to draw any more attention to them. He slipped her a piece of paper with a number scrawled on it. “Call me at this number later, so we can organize dinner for tomorrow.”

Buffy took the paper and turned away from him.

“Love you, sweetheart,” she heard her father call to her as she followed Spike to the elevator, Buffy only relaxing when the elevator doors shut safely behind them. She sighed, and let her shoulders slump against the wall.

“Thank you,” she said softly.

“What a piece of work he is,” Spike muttered, placing her bag on the elevator floor.

“Yeah,” she agreed.

Spike had walked into the hotel after her and seen the older man approach before she had. He’d watched with interest at first, and then walked over to the registration desk to get his room key. He was headed towards the elevator when he saw the panicked look on Buffy’s face as the older man grabbed hold of her arm.

Spike clenched his jaw. He couldn’t understand how the man hadn’t seen how scared Buffy was of him. He had put his own reservations aside and stepped forward to help her when he had seen that the older man—her father—wasn’t going to let go.

“You all right?” he asked softly, lifting her chin up to look at him.

Buffy’s eyes glistened with tears, but she nodded. “Yeah, thanks to you,” she answered with a weak smile.

The elevator stopped and Spike stepped away from her as the doors opened, picking up her bag and carrying it down the hall. He stopped at the appropriate door and slid the card key into the lock, a little light flashing green as it unlocked. Opening the door her walked in and placed her bag on the double bed, dropping his beside it.

Buffy frowned. One bed… I’m not staying in here am I…?

Spike caught her confused look and chuckled. “No, you’re not staying here. Jonesy had already left so I couldn’t get your room key. We’ll get it off her at dinner.”

“How come you’ve got a double bed?” she asked curiously.

“Only room they had left and I offered to take it.” He grin was broad as he lay back, sprawling across the bed. “Much prefer a large bed and room to myself than sharing a twin single room with someone who snores.”

Buffy laughed, moving to sit on the edge of the bed. “Fair enough.”

Spike lifted himself to his elbows to watch her. Her shoulders were trembling slightly.

“He really scared you, didn’t he, pet?” he asked sitting up to place a hand on her shoulder in reassurance.

Buffy nodded. Her dad had frightened her, but that wasn’t the only reason why she was shaking. She was sitting on Spike’s bed, alone with him in his room. And a part of her was excited by it. She closed her eyes as she felt him draw her back into his arms, holding her protectively. Her body relaxed instantly.

Spike’s heartbeat quickened when her body molded against his. She smelled of vanilla and shampoo, a smell he was beginning to grow accustomed to. His hold of her relaxed slightly, when she twisted on the edge of the bed to face him.

Buffy felt her heartbeat quicken when she realized how close they were. “Spike, I --”

“Shhh,” he shushed.

She shook her head. “No, I just wanted to… to thank you. For what you did in the lobby. You didn’t have to.”

“I told you, pet, I’m not going to let anyone hurt you again,” he answered quietly, staring down into her green eyes. He lifted a hand to brush away her tears, inching closer to her.

Buffy’s eyes flickered over his lips, as memories of that kiss in the Bronze flooded back. Cheeks flushing crimson she quickly dropped her gaze. She knew if she looked into his eyes again she would give in, and she couldn’t do that to Riley.

Her stare hadn’t gone unnoticed. Spike saw how she had been eyeing his lips. Look up… he begged silently.

But she didn’t.

Spike unwrapped his arms, wiping a few more of her tears away before he stood up and walked towards the door. “We should probably go; Jonesy will be waiting for us downstairs.”

Buffy nodded, and followed him out the door, thankful for the distraction.

~~~

They stood silently next to each other in the elevator as they rode down to the lobby. Spike stepped out first, quickly searching the floor for Buffy’s father. The gesture didn’t go unseen and she flashed him a smile when he nodded to give her the all clear.

They walked side by side as they headed towards the restaurant. Their Coach was sitting at the head of a table, the other six members of the team seated around. Buffy took one of the free seats, Spike sitting down beside her.

“All right, now that we’re all here,” she said pointedly, looking at the two latecomers. “Let’s go over the events schedule then we’ll order some dinner.”

~~~

Buffy clutched at her stomach. “Stop!” she begged between laughs. “I feel like I’m going to split in two from laughing so hard!”

Beth giggled along with her as David and Brian finally began to calm down. Whilst chatting after dinner it had come to light that the two boys were fearless when it came to dares. Of all the tasks that had been set tonight, they hadn’t backed down from one.

From walking up to the bar whilst pretending to be gay lovers, to swiping bread rolls from another diner’s plate—while they were eating from it, or asking an elderly woman for her phone number.

Buffy wiped the tears of laughter from her face and took a deep breath. Beth snickered as she conjured up a memory of one of the stunts, and Buffy shot her a death glare. The two girls exploded into a fit of giggles again.

Spike walked into the restaurant after stepping outside for a smoke, seeing that the girls were still laughing. He raised an eyebrow as he looked to his male teammates. “They been drinking anything?” he asked with a raised brow.

Beth shook her head vehemently between laughs. “No! You wouldn’t believe what they just did.”

“Stop! I need to stop laughing,” Buffy pleaded, her cheeks hurting from the strain.

“Just breathe, luv,” Spike suggested.

Buffy exploded into another fit of giggles at Brian’s expression, and Beth quickly joined in.

“Right. That’s it,” Spike walked over to Buffy and took her arm, lifting her from her seat and leading her out of the restaurant.

“Goodnight, guys,” she called over her shoulder to the three remaining.

“You should have gone to bed when the others did,” Spike grumbled, as he dragged a giggling Buffy to the elevators. They stepped inside and he pressed the button for their floor.

WAIT! I need a key,” Buffy reminded, reaching for the door open button.

Spike swatted her hand away and pulled a card out of his pocket and waved it in front of her. A grin spread across his face as he lifted his arm, keeping it just outside her reach. Buffy jumped, grabbing at his arm, trying to drag it down so she could retrieve the card.

He twisted easily out of her way and switched the card to his other hand.

“Hey! No fair!” she pouted, jumping again. “You’re teasing.”

Buffy’s shirt rose up exposing her taught midriff, and Spike groaned silently. You’re not the only one being teased here…

She jumped forward again, this time grabbing his arm more firmly. She used his strength against him, straightening her arms to lift herself up. Her body rubbed up against his, causing Spike to freeze, Buffy taking advantage and she snatching the card from his unmoving hand.

Spike groaned, this time audibly as their bodies made contact.

Buffy slid down, her cheeks burning as she caught his gaze, Spike’s eyes as wide as hers. It was only then that she realized how close they were. Her feet touched the floor of the elevator and she immediately made a move to step back from him, closing her eyes in an attempt to hide her embarrassment.

Not one to let a moment pass twice, Spike swept her up into his arms, crushing his lips against hers.

Buffy’s eyes darted open at the contact, and she pressed her arms against his chest weakly in a bid to stop him.

Spike pulled back, his eyes searching hers. “Buffy,” he breathed hoarsely.

“Spike, we can’t… I…”

Buffy licked at her lips and that was all that he needed.

Spike lifted her up in his arms and turned around, pressing her against the wall of the elevator as his lips descended towards hers again. This kiss was nothing like their first at the Bronze, nothing gentle or slow about it. Spike’s lips attacked with a desperate frenzy, his body pressing and rubbing against Buffy’s as he lifted a hand from around her back to tangle in her long golden hair, the other running up her spine and pulling her more forcefully to him.

Tongues dueled for dominance, a tiny moan escaping Buffy’s mouth in response to his ministrations. It was enough all the encouragement Spike needed to continue his exploration of her, the hand on her hip sliding to cup her arse.

Buffy’s body responded to Spike’s ministrations before her mind was given the opportunity to object, finally just giving in to her desire. Her hands clenched tightly at the material of his shirt as she pulled him closer to her, molding her body against his as they she returned the urgency of his kiss, sucking on his bottom lip and drawing it into her mouth.

They were so wrapped up in each other they didn’t hear the elevator ding as it reached their floor.

“Huh-humph.”

The two teenagers jumped away from each other at the sound of the deep voice. A middle-aged couple was standing at the open door to the elevator, grinning at the embarrassed looks Buffy and Spike wore on their faces.

“Sorry,” Spike muttered as he grabbed Buffy’s arm and steered her out of the elevator.

“Oh, my god,” Buffy mumbled in shock as she followed Spike down the hall.

He slipped the card key into the door, and quickly opened it, ushering Buffy in as he closed it behind them.

“They probably got a kick out of it,” he shot her a grin filled with embarrassment, which faded the instant he saw the look on her face. “Buffy, what’s wrong?” Spike held his breath for what seemed like an eternity as she tried to find her voice, praying that she didn’t regret what just happened.

“Oh, my god… we just… and they just…” she finally babbled, finding it difficult to form coherent sentences.

Spike smiled softly as he took a step towards her. Taking of one of her hands in his, he brought it up to his lips, gently pressing a kiss against her knuckles. He looked down at her as he drew that hand behind him, effectively closing the distance between them.

Buffy’s breath caught in her throat when his leg rubbed against hers. His gaze held so much intensity, so much passion. No one had ever looked at her like that before. It sent shivers up and down her spine.

Noticing the quake in her shoulders, Spike unzipped his jacket and draped it over her shoulders. “Better?”

Buffy nodded mutely as she stared up into his eyes. She saw his gaze flick over her lips and her heartbeat quickened. She had two choices here; walk out, or stay. Both had consequences.

“Buffy, I…”

Buffy didn’t let herself think. She took one deep breath, and then cut off whatever Spike had been about to say as she flung herself into his arms, her own wrapping around his neck. She moaned when her lips made contact with his.

Spike was caught off guard by her boldness, but that didn’t stop him from responding. He instantly wrapped his arms around her tiny body, holding her tightly against him as he returned her kiss, their tongues picking up the dueling match where they left off in the elevator.

When Buffy wriggled against his body in an attempt to boost herself up into his arms, Spike groaned. Giving her a helping hand he lifted her lithe little body up into his arms, his hands wrapping around her back. Buffy instinctively curled her legs around his hips; a move which elicited another groan from Spike.

“You’re killing me here, luv,” he groaned as she wiggled in his arms.

Buffy pulled her head back from his, a mischievous grin spread across her face. “What?” she asked with mock innocence.

Spike returned the grin, taking two steps forward before bending his knees to drop them both onto the large bed. Buffy shivered again as she felt his body press against hers.

Holding himself up on his elbows Spike ran one hand through her hair, twirling a few strands around his fingers. “God, you are so beautiful,” he murmured as he placed soft kisses along her jaw line.

Buffy smiled despite herself, her breath coming in ragged gasps as his kisses trailed down her neck and along her collar bone.

Tangling her fingers in his hair she drew his face up to hers, her eyes begging him to kiss her again. She needed him to kiss her, when his lips were pressed against hers all rational thoughts left her. And she didn’t want to think right now.

Spike drank in that look of longing in her eyes for a moment before giving in to what they both wanted. His lips moved gently across hers, sucking, nibbling and licking as he slowly deepened the kiss. Buffy responded, parting her lips and running her tongue along his.

Spurred by her actions, Spike rolled slightly to one side to support his weight and moved his now free arm down to her hip, tracing small circles on the exposed skin between her blouse and the hem of her skirt.

Buffy’s skin burned like it was on fire where he touched her, and she arched her body against his, needing more contact.

Spike’s hand slipped beneath the cotton of her blouse and trailed up her toned stomach, and towards her lace covered breast. He cupped it with his hand, feeling himself harden instantly when his fingers found her pert nipple pressing against the soft material.

A combination of fear and desire rippled through Buffy. Spike shifted on top of her and it was then she felt something hard press into her thigh. She immediately broke the kiss and scrambled from beneath him.

“I should go, it’s late, and the meet is tomorrow and…”

One second she was beneath him, and the next she sitting up and about to leave, rambling as she voiced excuses.

“Yeah,” he agreed hoarsely looking over at the clock. It was an excuse to escape but it was getting later. Sitting up he watched her move nervously about the room.

Buffy scanned the floor for her missing card key to her own room, kneeling to pick it up when she spotted it. Becoming aware of how much skin she was exposing, Buffy tugged her skirt down when she stood. Grabbing her bag from the floor she walked towards the door and opened it, throwing one last look over her shoulder at Spike. He hadn’t moved.

“Goodnight.” She left quickly, closing the door behind her as she moved into the hall.

How did I let that happen? she cursed herself, as she stood outside his door, trying to regain her composure. A few seconds later, she walked down the hall towards her room.

~~~

Inside his room, Spike stared at the closed door in wonder. Buffy had been lying in his arms, he’d been kissing her. A happy smile spread across his face. And she had kissed him back.

The smile soon faded.

One second he had been touching her, kissing her and the next she was gone before he could protest. He flopped back onto the bed, running his hands through his hair as he tried to make sense of what had just happened.

Why did she run?

~~~

Buffy slipped quietly in her room, seeing Beth’s sleeping form in one of the beds. As quietly as she could Buffy moved to her side of the room and carefully placed her duffel on the ground at the foot of the bed.

She wanted to call Willow but she knew it was much too late and that she would be asleep. She was so confused. Undressing quickly to get ready for bed, the events of just moments ago played over and over in her mind.

“What have I done?” she mumbled, as she slid beneath the covers of her bed.



~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Hope you guys liked.