Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey know its been awhile. Took a little longer for this section to work itself out but I wanted the feel of it to be just right. Thanks to all of you who have reviewed. Please keep telling me what you think and keep in my mind that we have quite a way to go with these two. We're only getting started. Thanks again!
As the early Saturday morning light began to filter in through her window Buffy had to fight the urge to groan. It was the weekend for cripes sake. For once couldn't she manage to sleep in?

Instead she could feel her brain already making conscious thoughts and soon they would drift to the bleached wonder in her basement.

And while she knew that he would be sleeping during the day she wasn't looking forward to the evening. With the fall of darkness the cards of her life were going to be shuffled again. Would she still be dealt a losing hand?

Okay so her thoughts were getting totally corny. It could just be the stress. Besides it didn't matter.

What did was that very soon like sometime within the next twenty-four hours Spike was going to be free once again.

The thought was not comforting in the slightest.

*******************

After a morning of trying to find something to occupy herself that would prevent her brain from making all those little speeches she'd finally given in and called Willow to meet her at the mall. Besides she hadn't been spending as much time with her friends as she should have as of late.

The afternoon was light and fun and as a bonus there wasn't any sign of previous damage to her favorite place after her little incident with the Judge.

She'd had a good time and even though normally her and Willow would go back to her house and watch a few videos she was glad that she hadn't had to lie to her friend. Seemed Willow's mom wanted them to have a dinner of some kind at home. So instead they parted ways at the mall a good two hours before dusk.

Now she was walking back home her few meager purchases clutched in her right hand. It was nice for her to have the distraction but with Willow's absence the feelings and thoughts she tried to forget came crashing back.

Buffy would have thought after all the months of Angel now being Angelus that the pain would somehow be less of a surprise. Yet every time she allowed herself the moment to forget and the pain came crashing back it was like it was new all over again. She'd thought that the time itself would help her heart heal from all the pain the damn vampire had caused her but it didn't seem to be happening.

With the pain came the bitter disappointment in herself and the overwhelming guilt. It was so much worse then the pain. To know how responsible she was for everything that had happened to her friends in the last few months was more devastating then anything Angelus could ever do to her directly.

Right on the heels of her self flagellation came the deep dread and fear that was to accompany the rest of the weekend. Her mom's flight would be landing early Monday morning. There was little that could be done about that. Not that she didn't miss her mom or love her any less but the reappearance of her lone parental figure only meant that the demon currently residing in her basement was going to retake his place in her life.

That of her mortal enemy.

It wasn't like they had gotten close or anything during his little visit. The only difference in the way they interacted from normal was the lack of barbs they threw at each other during the last few days. Other then that and the fact that her physical touch hadn't had any intention of harming him the way they dealt with each other had not changed.

Still she couldn't help the feeling of disappointment that seemed to overwhelm her whenever she thought about Spike and the time he was going to leave.

Maybe it was the feeling that she wasn't so alone when he was around. It wasn't like he wasn't going through his own heartbreak no matter that they never talked about it.

She knew that he truly loved Drusilla there wasn't any way to deny that fact. Not after she had seen his reactions to her holding Drusilla hostage in the vampire club. No Dru had been the vampire's whole world. Her betrayal had to be even worse then what she felt for Angel because deep down she was sure it hadn't been the souled vampire's choice. And now that he was without the soul she couldn't hold that against the man that he used to be.

But for Spike that was different. He had to know that Drusilla made a conscious choice to pursue Angel and to stay with him even though the vampire who had stayed with her for over a century was injured and needed her.

No out of the two of them she was pretty sure he was suffering worse.

Maybe that was why she hadn't hesitated to help him after she found him so mistreated in the factory. She didn't know for sure but it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities.

She stopped at the edge of the park. The same one where she had watched the first moments of Angel's reunion with his childe after a hundred years. Now she just stared at the same play area a distant look in her eyes wishing once again for things to be different. For them to be as simple as her life had once been back before she knew of the things that went bump in the night. Spent another few minutes wasting them away with useless wishes.

Her life was what it was.

Walking slowly over she sat in a swing and pushed herself letting the stillness that seemed to take over the city just before dark wash over her.

Here as the sun began to make its slow but sure descent towards the horizon she let the stillness calm her once more jangled nerves. Let the night bring with it the heightened senses that the Slayer package had graced her with.

She let the slow gentle rocking of the swing soothe her troubled thoughts and let her mind calm for once. Here she could spend a small amount of time just being. Not thinking or feeling or trying to find her way through the confusing twists and turns of her life. Here she just was for the moment.

Blinking slowly she took in the hushed sounds of insects and birds as they settled in before the dark over took them. The gentle chirp of crickets added to the back drop as the bright light turned a rosy hue before beginning to dim.

She knew she had to return home soon the now mobile vampire in her house wasn't going to be very patient. Yet here she sat delaying the inevitable if only for a few moments more.

***********

Spike came awake slowly letting the peacefulness of sleep drift away. He was flooded with the awareness of his own heightened senses that the night always brought with them. Here now was when he reveled in his unlife. The feeling of power that hummed through his veins before the evenings festivities began.

He'd missed the hunt. Missed the thrill that being the predator he was brought.

Now he had it back.

The knowledge that he was no longer a slave to his useless legs left a tiny thrill to shoot up his spine. He was in control once again and that brought a smirk to his lips.

No longer would he have to sit and wait in the Slayer's basement for her to come to him. Now he was going to take charge once again. She would be dealing with him on his own terms.

Sitting up right he looked around and saw that for once there was no thermos waiting for him. That was a good thing. The bloody chit was not going to coddle him any longer apparently. It only meant they were going to get back to the natural order of things. Back to being mortal enemies.

Although that would be slightly easier if she was actually in the house. The lack of noise upstairs told him that she wasn't there though. He wondered what she was playing at knowing that he was able to get around now. She had mentioned talking to him but he was sure it was only a preliminary threat before he left the house.

He couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking though. He'd caught the sadness in her eyes the night before but was unsure just what it was in reaction to.

Not that he gave a damn mind you. No right this second he was wondering where his normal clothes were so he could start the process of getting his Dru back.

He'd walked to the dryer when he heard the front door finally open.

*************

She'd finally made her way back home once the sun had set fully. Opening the front door she clicked on the light in the living room before making her way to the kitchen and grabbing a soda. Drink in hand she went back to the couch and sat down.

Buffy knew that she wasn't going to go down to the basement. Not until he was gone and she removed any trace of him there.

No this time she was going to let him come to her.

In a way it was like making sure that this was it. Letting him meet her on his own terms. She was sure that this was the last night they would set eyes on each other without the death threats. Well besides the ones she was going to tell him on the way out.

From here on out she was going to file the vamp in his designated slot. Killer. Mortal enemy. There was no place for him anywhere else in her mind. Not when she had to deal with the consequences of letting the last vamp out of that box.

She didn't have to wait long. Five minutes after she had taken a seat she heard the basement door open. Buffy watched patiently as he walked into the room the enemy she'd known for months once more in her presence.

He was redressed in his usual black jeans and t-shirt, black combat boots once again encasing his feet. The hard flinty look in his eyes and the smirk on his lips replacing the confusion and fear she had seen there so often in recent weeks.

It seemed the big bad was really back.

Somewhere in her chest there was tight squeezing pain but she refused to acknowledge it.

"Slayer."

This was it the moment that she knew would happen and yet wished in a thousand different ways wouldn't.

Standing she made her way to the other side of the coffee table.

Buffy knew that her greeting would set the stage for the rest of this talk and she wondered if she was making the right decision. But she was helpless to stop the path she was on.

"Vampire."

In that moment Spike knew that whatever semi truce the two of them had shared while she took in his healing body was now over.

"I'm going to kill you, you know." He told her before letting his demon bleed into his eyes.

"You're going to try. Doesn't mean you'll succeed." She dropped her hands to her hips and glared back at him her green eyes narrowing on him.

"Well aren't we cocky." He tucked his tongue behind his teeth before smirking at her.

She let that one go not willing to get into the whole innuendo fight with him.

"Still got the numbers on my side. Killed two of your kind." He stepped closer to her just enough for her to tense a bit more at his presence.

"And I've killed hundreds of yours." This time she approached him slipping the stake out of her waistband before twirling it in front of him.

Now Spike wasn't an idiot. True he mostly acted without thinking but that didn't mean he couldn't. And right now he knew that a direct fight with the Slayer was out of the question. Yes he was walking and yes he could potentially fight. But not enough to best a Slayer. Especially this one. It was all about knowing his own limitations.

He decided that it was better if he didn't rile her up anymore then she already was.

"True but it only takes one doesn't it?" And yet his mouth continued to work independently of his brain.

"So are you going to stand there and threaten me all day or what?" She gave him her best bored look even though she knew to keep her eyes on him. He may not be in top shape but a little slip for her could be all the advantage he would need.

There was no need to remind herself just how deadly he was. She could see the predator in the glint of his eyes in the taut lines of his body.

"As I recall you were the one who wanted to talk." This time he retreated a step letting her know that there was no immediate threat.

She took in his more relaxed stance and the step out of her personal space.

"Just to make a couple of things clear." She said shortly before she too took a step back.

He gave her a slight nod. Spike had to admit he was kind of curious about what she had in mind anyway.

"First off no one finds out about this." She stated as she placed her hands on her hips.

"Like I want info like this to get out. Have you gone totally daft Slayer? Bloody ruin my reputation."

"Second once you're out that door you're fair game. I find you feeding or you try to hurt me or my friends I will dust you."

"Same goes for me Slayer. I find you on the street I'll drain you."

"Fair enough." She said with a sigh.

This time she looked into his blue eyes and watched him carefully.

"Besides that what I told you still stands. As long as I don't catch Drusilla out and she stays away from my friends I won't dust her."

This caused Spike's eyes to widen. He hadn't thought that she would remember her little statement about Dru. Or even if she did that she would be willing to keep the same deal now that he was free.

She watched his reaction and had to stifle a giggle. The way his eyes bulged was almost cartoon like and she had to keep from patting herself on the back just on his response alone.

"But remember this. I am going after Angelus. As far as I'm concerned he's already dust. If I was you I'd collect your precious Dru and get the hell out of town. Anyone who gets in my way is going to go the way of the dodo."

"Don't think I'm through enjoyin' what this little burg has to offer yet."

She let his eyes finish roving over her form before it settled on her neck with a look of fierce hunger.

"It's your funeral." She said as she shrugged at him. "Or hers." This time she took the first step towards him. "Like I said before Spike you aren't a prisoner here. If you want to leave you're more then welcome. I only have one stipulation." She crossed her arms over her chest before giving him her most determined glare.

"And what would that be luv?" He couldn't help tucking his thumbs into his belt loops and letting his hands frame the apex of his jeans.

Buffy ignored the placement of his hands. She wasn't going to fall for any of his easy to read goading tactics. Not tonight.

"Simple. You feed from the rest of the blood I have left in the house before you go. It's enough for at least two feedings."

She didn't elaborate further but than Spike didn't need her too.

"Tryin' to keep me from feedin'?"

She was unashamed of her tactic. After all it was her conscience that she was going to have to live with once he left. Knowing that each death he caused would be her responsibility just as each life Angelus took was hers as well.

Spike thought about refusing for a moment just out of spite. Sure the blood she had been feeding him hadn't been bad. Seriously after the swill he had been getting from Angelus it was damn good. But it was still bagged blood. What he wanted, what he craved was the hunt itself. The adrenaline of finding his prey the scent of their fear on the air before the kill was made. That was what he needed.

However fighting the Slayer about this may not work in his favor.

"What if I told you no?" He again took a step towards her

"Than instead of you walking out that door I simply vacuum you off my living room floor." She tapped the end of her stake impatiently against her folded arm.

"Makin' me full isn't gonna stop me." Spike let his eyes narrow in a cold glare.

"Let me explain this to you just a bit. You feed from what's here and then you leave. Meanwhile I'm going to patrol and you'd be taking your chances against me finding you before you could have your first victim." She narrowed her own eyes at him.

"And?" He asked blatantly before taking another small step towards her.

"And-" She stressed. "We both know that as of right now I could take you without much of a fight."

Buffy hadn't wanted to voice that particular truth to him out loud for some reason. She wasn't sure if it was to protect his wounded pride or because she just wasn't sure if it was right to play that card. But it seemed that he needed to hear it from her.

He stopped his advance on her and tilted his head in consideration. The words themselves angered him. He wasn't at his top form true but even he wasn't thinking that she was going to bring it up. And while she had made it a statement of fact said without any particular malice the hurt wounded pride that he had wasn't going to be able to take that sentence without comment.

"Is that what you think Slayer? That I'm some easy mark right now that you need to take pity on?" He took another step closer to her. "Got news for you little girl. Maybe I'm not as weak as you seem to believe."

Buffy fought the urge to gulp at the fire that burned in his eyes. She knew she was right but damn when he wanted to Spike could be damned intimidating.

"Maybe, maybe not." She shrugged. "Doesn't matter I could still take you. Just stating it like it is." This time she took a small step back not in fear just to bring the hostility down a notch or two.

Spike snorted at her comment. She was always one to talk big.

"I guess we'll have to wait and see about that huh Slayer?" There was never any question of him accepting her stipulation but he wasn't going to make it easy for her.

Buffy raised a brow in his direction before seeing that the moment had passed.

"I suppose so." She moved away from him and walked towards the kitchen effectively ending the conversation and turning her back on him.

The move grated on Spike. There was a time when no enemy would dare turn their back on him to afraid of what he might do. And here this little slip of a girl was walking away from him like she hadn't a care in the world. He'd about had all he could take from her annoying presence.

She walked quickly to her fridge trying not to concentrate on the fact that Spike was behind her. It was a bold move she knew but one she was hoping would give him the impression that she wasn't concerned about his presence in the slightest. It would be a lie of course but she wanted him to have the feeling that even though she'd nursed him back to health that she was still unafraid of him. Just as she had been during his convalescence.

As she placed her hand on the handle of the door and started to pull it open she was surprised by it slamming closed before Spike spun her and pinned her to the fridge.

"You shouldn't underestimate your enemies. Leads to all kinds of badness." He smirked at her before he vamped.

Buffy knew that the first thing she should have felt was fear but it wasn't. Instead her body sung with pain as though he had somehow betrayed her. Of course it didn't last long before an all consuming rage rushed through her.

Gathering her strength she stomped on his foot and brought her fist up to his nose in one move effectively making him stumble away from her.

"Bloody hell!" The exclamation was quickly followed by trying to protect his nose from further injury.

"I guess you would speak from experience." She turned and threw open the refrigerator door before throwing four blood bags at his chest.

"Feed and get out before I change my mind."

This time Spike took in the fury burning in her green eyes and decided for once that retreat was a good idea.

Buffy watched him carefully as his features never shifted back to his human form. After he stared at her for a second he took one of the bags and sunk his fangs in.

For some reason watching him feed didn't seem to bother her as much as she thought it would. Maybe it was because unlike Angel, Spike had almost always presented himself in game face to her. She was just as familiar with the demon's face as she was now with his human mask. It made her never forget first and foremost that he was a vampire.

Whatever the reason she wasn't as squicked as she thought she would be. It was a good thing really it let her concentrate on what he was doing and didn't leave her open for another attack.

Spike fought the urge to shudder at the cold blood and had to wonder if he hadn't followed his instincts and rushed her if she would have heated it up for him. She'd always served it warm to him before. He finished the second bag before sinking his fangs into the third. All the while not letting his amber eyes leave the small form in front of him.

He had to wonder at her impulse control. She must really believe in what she was doing to not stake him after he tried that move on her. It surprised him that all he got was a sore foot and a sore nose. As he tossed away the empty bag he picked up the fourth one.

Buffy tapped her foot impatiently as she watched him feed from the last bag. Stake held loosely at her side she fought the urge to tell him to hurry up. She was more then agitated his move to pin her against the fridge throwing her off balance. Not to mention the mixed feelings she had about it and this whole thing in the first place. She watched him crumple the last bag before he slammed it down on the islander.

Spike licked his lips collecting whatever stray blood may have gathered there and fought the urge to say anything. Lord knew that he wasn't really scoring any points orally lately.

Holding in a sigh to help settle her nerves she brushed past him to the kitchen door before holding it open. Turning towards him she gave him the coldest look she could manage.

"Remember what I said. I meant every word. Now get the hell out of my house."

He walked to the door and through it without acknowledging her words but stopped as he reached the porch. He stood there with his back to her and she shrugged not knowing why he stopped. She began to close the door and watched him until barely a sliver of it was left open.

The quiet words drifted in just as the door clicked shut and she pressed her back to it before closing her eyes and letting out a deep sigh.

"Thank you Slayer."