Author's Chapter Notes:
Oh my God. It seems like it's been forever since I've posted. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to review and read this story. My muse seems to be a bit lazy now and it's taking a lot longer to get something accomplished on any of my fics so please bear with me. Thanks again to all of you and hope you enjoy!
"FREEZE!" The sound of a lone footstep echoed in the room around her. "Put your hands in the air and don't move."

She stopped everything going so far as to hold the breath in her lungs. She didn't need to look behind her to imagine the scene. The uniformed officer standing calmly behind her, his arm outstretched, cold piece of deadly metal in his hands. No she could picture it quite well.

"Now I want you to turn around slowly so that you're facing me."

Automatically she began to follow the officers terse directions. After all what choice did she have?

Her gaze swung counter clockwise around the room again helpless to take in the amount of destruction in one of her own safe havens.

"I didn't do anything." The urge to say something as she stared down the barrel of the gun couldn't be denied.

"Quiet."

It was only at his spoken word that she noticed that they were not the only two people in the room. A female officer stood nearby holstering her own weapon.

She walked passed Buffy and knelt down next to Kendra's cooling corpse.

"This one's dead." She resisted the urge to roll her eyes at the obviousness of the officer's statement.

"Yeah what about up there?"

For the first time since she hurriedly entered the library Buffy looked up to the mezzanine only to feel her heart clench.

"Xander!" He was lying just behind the railing completely still.

The urge to go to him outweighed her judgment and she began to move forward only to be grabbed by the first cop and pushed back.

"Get her out of here."

Okay so she couldn't imagine things getting any worse than this. She was being held at gun point while her friends lay either dead or dying inside the library and her crazy ex was about to send the whole planet to hell in a hand basket, only without the hand basket.

No in her imagination things couldn't get worse.

Which is why they did and Snyder had to step into the hallway.

Just seeing his little troll face was almost enough for her to weep in frustration. She wanted so badly to see the others and here she was being held by gunpoint and dissed by her nazi of a principal.

Her protests of innocence were of course lost on the beady eyed loser and she watched the officer carefully waiting to make her move. Of course since he was a member of the Sunnydale PD it didn't take long. Hell it didn't even take a lot of force.

One minute she was pushing him the next she was fleeing down the street at top speed.

This time she didn't have a particular destination in mind as she ran. All she knew was she had to keep away from stupid cops. So naturally she found herself turning into one of the many cemeteries.

They were really the best places to hide. Not too much light, lots of ground cover and the occasional demon or vamp to keep the cops from finding her.

**********

The second Spike heard the front door slam he tensed. The familiar feeling of family washed over him once again and he knew that Angelus was back. He had to assume from the lack of yelling that the first part of the plan had been successful.

He didn't have time to find out if Dru held up her end of the deal.

No he needed to get out now.

After all he had a Slayer to find.

**********

Finding the Slayer was easier said than done apparently. He'd been to the school but didn't go in after seeing all the cops swarming around the building. And he'd started roaming the cemeteries right after he made it past her house. So far he hadn't had any luck in locating the irritating little chit. Figures that he would be doing something to help her out and she couldn't even be bothered to be present for it.

He knew that the dread licking at his insides was being channeled into his animosity for the Slayer. Knew and really didn't care. Right now he needed to find her and get this miserable night over with so he could continue his existence someplace a little less hellish.

Anywhere but here.

He could feel the pressing of time as more of the night slipped away accompanied by the sound of his thudding boots.

And truthfully the only reason he wasn't getting tired of walking all over town was the fact that up until a couple of days ago he couldn't walk in the first place.

However that didn't help control the level of frustration that he was feeling. He had one last hunch to work on if it didn't pan out he wasn't sure what he was going to do.

***********

She had stopped to catch her breath in the shadow of a mausoleum positive that no cop would dare look for her there. It was just a short to get her breathing under control and to get her thoughts straight.

Well as straight as she could without sending herself into a fit of hysteria.

It wasn't like she hadn't seen her friends beaten to a pulp, or she'd gotten expelled from school (again), or that she was wanted by the cops for a murder she sure as hell didn't commit.

No not at all.

Anyway dwelling on things like that was so not of the good. She needed to focus. To pull her Buffy thoughts together and set out on a plan.

The first of which was to find out if the others were alive or not.

********

It was a huge sigh of relief that left her as she made her way out of the hospital. The relief was only because she hadn't been caught by the not so observant SDPD as they walked the hospital corridors.

Her heart was another matter. Inside she felt a desperate dread at the thought of poor Willow laying so still in her hospital room. The news had been grim but at least no one else was dead. Or so she hoped.

Giles was missing.

Her only hope was that he had somehow made it out and headed over to his apartment.

Yeah it was a thin hope she knew.

The reality of the situation was too grim for her to contemplate.

Deep in her heart she couldn't deny the truth. It was the only thing that made any sense to her at all.

Angelus had her Watcher.

No that wasn't right. As uptight and priggish as Giles could be he had stepped outside of the Watcher only box a long time ago. He was as dear to her as the two friends she had just left at the hospital. Maybe even more so.

And he was being held by a sick psychopath that she unleashed.

If there was time for her to deal with everything she knew that she would be crushed by guilt. That the worry she held in her heart and the pain that she was feeling would be weighing her down so much that she could barely breathe.

But she didn't have the luxury of time. Every second wasted was one to long for Angelus to have a hold of Giles.

Instead she channeled the pain and guilt and trauma into a blind raging fury that she fought to hone on one central figure.

Angelus.

She was moving quickly now her head down trying not to let anyone see her. She was blending into the background thank you very much. Which of course meant that she was walking at a brisk pace, but not fast enough to be running, while she was looking at the ground.

Meaning that she wasn't watching at all where she was going.

The thud she felt as she collided with the solid object in front of her was hard enough for her teeth to rattle. Probably would have been enough to knock her back on her ass if two arms hadn't snaked out and wrapped around her as tight as steel bands.

She had time to inhale a surprised breath before she was hauled off the sidewalk and into a nearby alley. Even before she could begin to struggle she felt those arms tighten even more as her spidey sense went through the roof. She didn't hold back and began to twist and turn trying to break away from the constricting prison.

Just as they hit the darkest part of the alley a deep chuckle rumbled through the chest her ear was trapped against.

"Hello cutie."

The voice was enough.

As enraged as she was the thought of just sitting back and letting things happen never even crossed her mind. She simply raised her foot and brought it down hard on his instep.

A move he was definitely not expecting as she was suddenly free.

The yelp of pain he gave was just a bonus.

"I so do not have time for you right now." She growled out the words her body naturally falling into a defensive stance.

"What the bloody fuck did you do that for?!" How he managed to sound both petulant and pissed off was beyond her.

"Look Spike can I get a rain check?" She took another step back from him. "As entertaining as kicking your ass again would be I kind of have other things going on right now."

He'd stopped pouting, although she was sure that he wouldn't agree that he was, and now he was glaring at her.

Spike relaxed his stance a bit more and leaned against the brick of the building behind him. Reaching deep into his pockets he began to search for his cigarettes.

"Actually wasn't looking for a rough and tumble right now. Thought maybe you might want to have a chat."

If it was possible she really was seeing red. The haze of her fury was drenching her in covered everything in her sight. And the infuriating vampire was just the tip of the iceberg.

"We have nothing to chat about and stay the hell away from me Spike." The words were a deadly hum against the still night air.

The tone of her voice drew his attention and he instantly forgot about his nicotine fetish. He pushed himself away from the wall and stalked a few steps closer to her.

"That right?" He cocked his head at her in that infuriating way he had. "And here I thought we were getting on pretty well."

The arrogance in his voice made her blood boil and she couldn't stop her movements if she wanted to. And she really didn't want to. Before he could blink she had one hand around his throat the other holding a stake over his heart pinning him the cold wall behind him.

"Now Slayer is that any way for you to treat the bloke that knows where your Watcher is?"

His words confirmed her deepest fears and she closed her eyes for a moment not only to block out the sight of his face but to keep him from seeing the sudden pain she knew had to be visible there. She didn't want to give him anything to gloat about.

She opened her eyes and glared hard at him. The time to be civil was over.

Tightening her hold on his throat she pushed him harder against the wall.

"You saw him?" The frostiness of her words surprised even her.

Spike stared into the flashing green eyes of the woman before him all to reminded of how much strength the slayer packed in her tight little body. He wasn't afraid of her actions. Actually he had been expecting a punch in the nose at the least.

She was a protective hen. Rightfully so as delicate as her companions were with their human frailness.

"Not as such no." When the grip on his throat tightened once again he worried just a little. It wasn't like the lack of oxygen was a threat to his health. Not with him not needing it in the first place. No he was just a little worried that in her worked up state that she was going to squeeze a little too hard and pop his head off. Now that would be bad for his health.

Pushing the Slayer away from him before rolling his eyes he stepped away from the wall.

"Hey white flag here Slayer." He rubbed his throat absently his own eyes narrowed at the woman in front of him.

"Bullshit Spike. What game are you playing? If this is just one of Angelus' mind fucks I'm not interested."

A smirk crossed his lips at her words.

"Jesus Slayer. You kiss your mum with that mouth?" He stepped up to her once more both of them occupying the same uncomfortable place. "'Sides I'm hardly one to go in on one of the poof's plans aren't I? Bloody wanker's still to busy messin' with Dru to pay attention to the likes of me."

She could hardly deny that Spike had little reason to be helping Angelus out. But he had even less reason to help her at all so she was a little confused at the conversation.

"So why are you here?" Her eyes lit with little flecks of gold flashing in fury.

"Oh so now you want to talk? What's the matter Slayer got a touch of the grouchies?" His smirk seemed to grow and she fought the impulse to see just how far she could mash him into the bricks.

"If you don't stop wasting my time I'm going to be having a conversation with a pile of dust. What the fuck do you want?"

Letting out a deep sigh Spike knew it was time to get serious. She was right after all there was only a small window of time they had to act before Angel started his world sucking operation.

"Easy I'm gonna help you."

Although it was a simple statement Buffy raised her free hand to rub her ear. Blinking hard she gaped at the vampire in front of her.

"Could you maybe say that again? I really think there's something wrong with my hearing."

"Funny aren't you? Look you're gonna stop Angelus right?" He took in her slight nod. "Well I want in."

"Why?" She shook her head in confusion. "You're still a vamp right?"

"Spare me the stereotype Slayer. Still evil here. Problem is end the world and we end along with it or get flung into a hell dimension. And truthfully I've grown bloody fond of all the bits and bobs that technology has given us. Lived without them before and was bored to death. Or more to death. Point is I like the world just as it is vampire or not. I've got no problem messin' up Angelus' plans to do it either."

"And what I'm supposed to just believe you and wait for you to turn on me when my back is turned?"

"Not gonna happen. Too much ridin' on this fight for me."

At that moment it all clicked for Buffy.

"Drusilla."

"Knew you weren't a natural blond Slayer. Yeah my dark princess isn't in any hurry to leave Daddy. Figure your dusting of the wanker might change her mind."

She searched his eyes seeing the truth reflecting back at her.

"You should know the deals off with Drusilla. I come in contact with her and she's fair game."

This time Spike's eyes flashed yellow for a moment before he let out a low growl.

"You gave your word Slayer." His words were threatening and rough.

"I know that!" She practically stomped her foot before gaining control of herself. "She killed a friend of mine tonight."

"Fuck." He swore under his breath this was a complication that he hadn't foreseen. He was sure Angelus would have given strict orders not to off any of the Slayer's little band. The news that Dru had lost the added bit of protection the Slayer had promised wasn't good.

But he didn't have any choice but to work with the Slayer. It was too late now to come up with another plan and he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this was the best way to stop and get Angelus out of the way.

"Look Slayer-"

Buffy looked into his suddenly haunted eyes. She knew that this whole thing was a huge risk for him. That he was desperate and she really was his last resort. But the fact was his psycho ho of a girlfriend had killed Kendra.

Which of course meant that she had caused Kendra's death just as surely as if she had delivered the killing blow.

True she hadn't run into Dru since that incident with Giles at the factory and at the time she had been a little focused on Angelus, Giles and the sudden fire. That didn't mean she shouldn't have tried to find her feeding spots and taken her out in a preventive measure. Just like she should have staked Angel and Spike in turn each of these deaths rested on her shoulders.

"I can't let this go Spike. If I get near her she's dust." The words weren't said any harsher than if she had remarked about the weather but Spike flinched subtly any way.

"Then I keep her away from you."

"Just like that?" He just nodded in answer and she felt moderately better that he understood why things were this way. Which of course didn't make any sense since she should have dusted the nut job the first time they had met. That and she was worrying about what Spike felt about it.

That was really way wrong. Not that she didn't know that but it was what she felt regardless.

"And I'm just supposed to trust you?" He heard the hesitancy in her voice. Understood it even.

He knew he could trust her. She'd already proven to him that she kept her word when she gave it. He'd been at her mercy for weeks at a time and was alive and well because of it. She had earned it and he did trust her.

She had no reason to think she could trust him.

"Yeah." He nodded softly to follow the single word.

Buffy wasn't so sure she could or should trust Spike but the temptation was there. Even at her best taking on two master vampires was not stacking the odds in her favor. And she knew that if it came down to a match between herself and Drusilla that Spike wouldn't hesitate to jump in.

But if she took his word and he kept Dru distracted she stood a good chance of stopping the ceremony and dusting Angelus.

Or this whole thing could just blow up in her face.

And it was then that she realized that like him there really wasn't much of a choice left.

"Come on we need a plan." And just like that she turned to walk out of the alley.