Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all for the great reviews. I know this one is taking a long time to get going but it is after all season 2. No hugs and puppies yet. Please continue to let me know what you think and thanks again for staying with me.
Buffy sat in front of her vanity trying to steer her thoughts from the naked male in her bathroom as she brushed her hair. She'd taken the time to change into her pjs and a robe knowing that when she was finished dealing with Spike that she was going to relax in front of the tv and then head to bed.

It worked somewhat. There was no way she could erase the thought of Spike naked in her bathroom totally from her mind.

But she was dealing even if she was using a good dose of denial. All in all she had to admit she was proud of herself. The situation itself was beyond uncomfortable for the both of them and she hadn't backed down yet. Sure helping out her mortal enemy shouldn't bring a sense of pride but she was doing remarkably well at it.

Of course she wasn't letting her mind think of what was going to happen after Spike was better.

Deep down she knew without a doubt that as soon as Spike was able to walk that he was going to try to kill her. Try being the operative word of course. But he wasn't going to stop trying until one of them was dead or dust. This she knew and yet here she was trying to make sure not only was he healing but that he was comfortable while he did it.

A part of her a small part granted was sure that this was going to mean something important. That the way she was caring for him was going to be reflected back to her eventually. And while she was never one to believe heavily in concepts like karma she also knew that it couldn't hurt.

There was also the possiblity that it wasn't just a karma thing.

However she had forbidden her brain from going down that set of thoughts and reaching their logical conclusion. She was better off not even thinking about it.

So she was going to keep following her instincts where the blond vamp was concerned.

**********

Spike closed his eyes in rapture.

The hot water felt wonderful against his cool skin and seemed to soothe every one of his tired muscles and frazzled nerves. He'd been sitting in the tub just soaking for quite a while and he was grateful that the Slayer seemed content just to let him be.

He wasn't sure he ever wanted to get out of the tub. Here he could for just a little while push all other thoughts from his mind. And while escapism wasn't his usual style his enforced circumstances were leaving him little choice other than think about what was happening to him and around him or just avoid it all.

He was going with avoidance.

It wasn't like he had a need to analyze his thoughts anyway. That was more the poofters thing. No he was just tired of thinking about the stupid situation on a whole.

So he lingered in the cooling water.

He knew that soon he would have to call out to the Slayer and get her to get him out of the tub. Not something he was looking forward too. Where the old Spike would have taken great joy in embarrassing the virginal girl with his naked state he now just wanted the humiliating experience over with.

And really what fun would he have at her expense when she could easily turn the situation around on him and point out his current humiliation. Not like he wanted that to happen. No it was easier for them both if they just got through all of this as fast as possible.

As he was soaking he let his mind wander off of his uncooperative legs to the blonde in the other room. It was true that sooner or later she was going to get the hint that he was healing. Sure he could hide it for awhile but it would be too easy to slip with the girl and even he knew that he would heal faster with her help.

But the question was how much he should let on about how he was doing. The element of surprise was a great advantage and not one that he was willing to give up so easily. With the progress he was making it would only be to the end of the week before he had a full range of motion in his legs. Then he would need at least a week to build up some strength in the unused muscles.

With that thought came the inevitable one about what would happen after his legs were working. He now had an invitation into the Slayer's home but was unsure if he really wanted to take advantage of that. He was always one for a fair fight and somehow violating the safety of the girl's home didn't seem like playing fair.

So maybe he would just buy some time and walk away. Give himself the opportunity to put things together and meet her one on one the way it was meant to be. Part under the same kind of unspoken truce that they had going.

The real question of course was what to do about his dark princess. Her current infatuation with the great brooding one left him with not only a bad taste in his mouth but the raging jealousy that one hundred years hadn't let him forget. He'd dedicated his unlife to loving the woman but she had tossed him away like rubbish as soon as the poofter had entered the picture. That wasn't easy for him to deal with. But he couldn't give up on her now could he? No they were still meant to be together even if she was a fickle bitch right now. Once he got her away from her precious daddy she would see reason and things would be like they were before they'd ever come to this hell hole.

Killing the Slayer would help her see him again. Hell everyone would take notice again. Killing his third Slayer would be one of the greatest coups in the demon world since well ever. No vampire had managed to kill two Slayers beside him and to kill three well that would ensure his reputation among the demon community for generations to come.

Pity he had to kill this one though.

***********

"Hey Slayer!"

She sighed as his voice seemed to echo down the hallway. Sitting here in the peace and quiet of her room it was easy to let herself forget all about the blonde menace and his wayward family. Forget about all the pain they had caused and all the pain she had yet to suffer through. Cause she had no doubt that was the road they were on.

Walking quickly she made her way back to the bathroom and tapped lightly on the door before turning the knob.

She barely heard his muffled response to her knock certainly not enough to actually make out the words but she didn't really think it mattered. He wouldn't have called her if he wasn't ready to get out.

Stepping through the door the first thing she noticed was the steam. Of course it would have been damn hard not to notice it. The room was like a sauna the heat making it hard for her to breathe. Waving a hand in front of her face she tried to fan some of it out of the way so she could see.

Once the steam dissapaited a bit she was able to make out Spike still sitting in the tub. His back was to her of course but she was able to make out the strong line of his shoulders. She felt the first flutters of butterflies in her stomach but managed to squash the feeling down.

Buffy could admit that she was nervous about the whole thing. She could but she wouldn't. Not to herself and definitely not to Spike. But she could get through this if only through sheer determination and force of will. Besides the less she spent time in here the better.

Finding her thoughts comforting she moved quickly walking over to the other side of the tub so that she could look him in the face. She gave him a slight smile not sure if it was to give herself a little confidence or if it was to give him a little reassurance. It was best if she didn't try to figure that out.

So she squared her shoulders and stepped closer to the tub ignoring the fact that the male vampire was naked except for a white towel draped over his waist. If she pretended it wasn't the case than it wasn't dammit.

Without a word she bent down and slid her arms under his legs and wrapped the other around his waist. He again tightened his hold on her neck as she lifted him with a small grunt out of the tub before settling him gently on the towel she had laid out earlier. Once that was done she reached over and placed the clothes she had stacked on the toilet next to him and gave him one more towel.

Still not speaking she turned and left the room.

With the door safely shut behind her the indifference she had held onto began to fade. She felt her heart rate pick up and she swallowed hard. Okay there was no sense denying it the black clothes were definitely hiding some major hotness. Not that she wanted to pay attention to that or did it change the fact that he was her enemy albeit one she kept saving.

But she had to admit even if she was only a teenager she couldn't deny the sheer fact that Spike William the Bloody if he was human would be a major hottie.

Shaking her head she resolved to blame her bad thoughts on exactly that evil teenage hormones.

*********

He didn't take that much time throwing on the clothes the Slayer had left for him. Of course sweat pants and a shirt weren't really his style but the feel of clean clothes was such an improvement he couldn't find the ire to complain about it.

What he could do was stop now that he had taken care of getting clean and focus again on the slight tingling in his legs. The feeling was really faint but it was there. Although he was unable to reproduce the move he had made with his toe earlier he was getting that really excited feeling in the pit of his stomach.

The big bad was on his way back.

And the sooner he was back the better.

He had so many things to take care of he just didn't know where to start.

But first things first.

Right now he needed to go back down to the basement and feed again maybe catch some kip while he was at it.

"Slayer." He singsonged her title knowing she would hear him.

Sure enough less then a minute later she was knocking gently on the door. Least the bint wasn't keeping him waiting.

She breezed through the door all business once again even if Spike could her the slight acceleration of her heartbeat. He knew she had to have been nervous when she pulled him out of the tub earlier but she had hid it well. Even if he didn't want to he had to admit the chit had stones. More than most blokes he'd ever known.

They didn't speak as she once again lifted him up to take him to the basement. The entirety of the trip made in a comfortable silence. Strange for two beings who weren't all that comfortable in each others presence.

Then again talking had it's draw backs too.

As she finally settled him on his cot and left to go upstairs he again tried to flex his toes. They wiggled a bit back and forth before he stopped because he heard her approaching the basement door once again.

She entered quietly her fingers wrapped around the familiar thermos. Someday he would have to ask her where she was getting the blood from.

The silence continued as she handed him the thermos and turned to leave. He watched her start to ascend the stairs and blinked back his surprise.

Barely a whisper of words reached his ears and he wasn't even sure she meant for him to hear them.

"You're welcome Spike."