Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Tasha for being my beta. And thanks to all my reviewers. You really make my day with your fab reviews.
February 12, 1999 Wednesday

Buffy spent the day floating on cloud 9. When she got home from patrolling with Faith the night before, there was a surprise waiting for her on her bed. While she was busy with Wesley after school, the rest of the gang went to the toy store to get her a present. There on her pillow were stuffed animals of the entire cast of the Scooby Doo cartoon show.

Little notes attached to each figure told Buffy exactly who gave her each doll told her who got which doll. Cordelia bought the Daphne, while Willow picked the Velma doll for her. Xander and Faith gave the Slayer Shaggy and Freddie. Oz rounded it out with Scooby. The coolest thing, in Buffy's opinion, was the added surprise of a black envelope stuck behind the dolls. Inside, along with the note, was a Scooby Doo charm for her bracelet.

The note made Buffy chuckle as she read it. Your legs look better than Daphne's in short skirts, my darling and graceful klutz. Your secret admirer.

Buffy's thoughts wandered back to the present as she entered sixth period class. She wasn't surprised at all to see a gift bag sitting on her desk. She had been expecting and anticipating her next gift all day. The bag is so beautiful. I wonder if he got them at the same store? Buffy asked herself. She stroked the glossy bag, and her fingers traced the raised red heart.

Buffy couldn't resist the pull of discovering what was in the bag a moment longer. So, she peeked inside the bag. There she found several canisters of gourmet hot chocolate, a bag of mini marshmallows, and several items from the Bath and Body works store in the mall.

Buffy pulled out a bottle of bubble bath to check out the scent. The name of the scent was Moonlight Path, and she was quite pleased with how it smelled. She noticed that she also received some salt scrub and body lotion. Buffy couldn't wait to get home for a cup of hot chocolate and a bubble bath.

I didn't need a spell to fall in love with you. All it took was for the sunlight to pass into the path of the moonlight, and I was lost. Your secret admirer.

Buffy finally made it home several hours after a workout session with Faith and a stop by the mall for candles that matched the scent of her bubble bath. She found her mom fixing dinner in the kitchen, and she immediately plopped herself down in one of the kitchen table chairs. Buffy studied her mom for a few minutes while she decided how to approach the older Summers woman about the identity of the secret admirer. Compliments first is always a good approach, Buffy thought to herself.

"Thanks for letting us use the gallery for our little romantic get together, Mom," Buffy said. She pulled her gift and purchased items out of the bag, and she placed them on the table in front of her.

"You're welcome, sweetie." Joyce turned from the stove to look at Buffy. She noticed the things that Buffy was putting on the table. "Is all that from your secret admirer?"

"Everything, but the candles. I bought those myself. I thought I would have a steamy bubble bath and some hot chocolate before I go to bed," Buffy announced. She put her gifts to one side of the table, and then she went about setting the table for dinner.

Joyce ladled the spaghetti onto dishes as Buffy pulled the premade individual salads, the salad dressing and parmesean cheese from the fridge. They each put the food on the table, and then they sat down in their chairs. It was quiet for a few moments while they put salad dressing on the salad, parmesean cheese on the spaghetti, and took their first bites of dinner.

"Did you eliminate someone from your list today?" Joyce broke the silence.

"Yep. I marked Owen off my list," Buffy answered, "He's with this really weird goth girl that kinda reminds me of Drusilla. He's gone all goth and punky, and the look is terrible on him. He just doesn't carry it as well as another we both know." Buffy's eyes flickered to her mom and back as she tried to determine Joyce's reaction.

"You're talking about Spike, aren't you?" Joyce asked.

"Yep." Buffy made the p-sound pop. "Mom? What would you say if he turned out to be the secret admirer?"

"Who? Spike? I don't know, Buffy." Joyce's voice filled with concern. "Another vampire boyfriend is not really what I wanted for you."

"I know that, Mom. I'm not normal, though." Buffy stared down into her plate as she tried to hide her disappointment from her mother. She assumed her mother would be the easiest one to convince, not the most difficult one.

"I know that, honey. I just don't want you to get hurt. If it is him, I think he's got great taste for picking a special girl like you to shower gifts on." Joyce smiled, and then she reached over to pat Buffy's hand. "I really don't think that Drusilla woman appreciated him. I hope he finds someone who will."

Buffy's thoughts whirled around in her head. The only one left to talk to is Giles. I'll talk to him during training tomorrow, and I don't give a damn what Wesley thinks. With that decided, Buffy picked up her plates, took them to the sink, and quickly washed them up.

Buffy grimaced a little as a muscle tightened in her lower back. The workout session earlier with Faith had been strenuous due to the fact that Wesley had made both of the Slayers mad with his anti-demon drivel. Both Slayers had wanted to smack the Watcher up side the head, but they both also knew they could kill him doing that. So, they had taken their anger out on each other.

"Are you hurt?" Joyce asked, her voice laced with concern.

"I pulled a muscle. No biggie," Buffy answered, "I should be fine by morning. Go Slayer healing."

"Why don't you take your things upstairs and run yourself a hot bath. I'll bring you a thermos of hot water and a cup for your hot chocolate," Joyce said. She got up from her seat. She shooed her daughter, gift items in hand, out of the kitchen.

Buffy went into the bathroom and turned on the hot water faucet in the tub. She took the bubble bath out of the bag, opened it to sniff the scent one more time before adding a liberal amount to the running water. Buffy put the hot chocolate and marshmallows on the tubside table. She quickly undressed, and she got into the tub. She sighed as she sunk into the water and suds.

After a few minutes the tub filled up enough to cover the young woman to her shoulders. As Buffy was turning off the water, Joyce entered the room carrying a thermos, cup with a spoon inside, and the cool mask from the massage parlor that Will let her take home with her. To Buffy's surprise, her mom also had the portable phone with her.

"Here's you things, honey," Joyce announced as she put the items down on the table. She handed Buffy the phone. "A young man named Will wants to speak to you." After Buffy took the phone, Joyce went ahead and made a cup of the hot chocolate for her.

"Will?" Buffy asked into the phone, "How did you get my phone number?"

"Where there's a Will there's a way," Will punned, "Actually I looked it up in the phone book. I wanted to ask your advice about something."

Buffy snuggled into her bath. The sound of Will's voice soothed her as much as the hot water did. A near perfect end to a difficult day, she thought to herself while she listened to what Will needed advice about.