Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter turned out to be a bit more plot angsty than I originally planned, but it's okay. Thanks to my reviewers. You're the bomb. Thanks for Tasha for betaing.
February 13, 1999 Thursday

"Miss Summers and Miss Lehane. "Wesley's pompous British voice filled the library when the two Slayers entered through the swinging doors. "Why are you planning on skipping patrol tomorrow evening?"

"Dang, Wes," Faith snarked, "They didn't hear you over in the shop class. Can you say that a little louder?" She noticed the long package on the table, and she nudged Buffy to get her attention.

"We have a romantic date with our admirers," Buffy stated absentmindedly. She drifted towards the research table and the package that rested there. "Tell him, Giles." She was tired of dealing with Wesley's attitude, judgements and lack of care for her feelings and desires.

"Both Buffy and Faith have worked hard the past few months. They both deserve a well earned break," Giles informed the younger man. He had tried time and time again to make the official Watcher understand that neither girl would bow to Wesley's authority, but Giles had a feeling it all went in one ear and out the other.

"We could ask Angel to patrol," Faith said. She followed Buffy to the table, and she flung herself down in one of the chairs. Faith ignored Wesley's attempts to get her warm-ups started.

"That sounds like an excellent idea, Faith. When we are done here why don't you girls go ask him?" Giles replied. He moved behind the checkout counter, and he began to go through a pile of returned books.

Buffy ignored the conversation. She unwrapped the long and narrow package, and she was amazed at how heavy it felt. She opened the box carefully. Buffy's eyes opened wide, and she gasped.

"What, B?" Faith's attention immediately turned to Buffy when the other girl gasped.

"It's beautiful," Buffy murmured. Her hand appeared to have a mind of its own as she reached into the box. Buffy gripped the handle of a sword. She removed it from its scabbard with her other hand, and she reveled in the sound of the steel sword being drawn.

"Oh My," Giles muttered. He rounded the counter to move closer to Buffy for a better look. Even from a distance he could tell the craftsmanship was superb. He was an admirer of fine weaponry, and the sword seemed like a finely crafted piece of workmanship.

"It feels so good, like it was made just for me. It fits my hand perfectly." Buffy opened her hand to examine the hilt of the sword. She peered closer at the hilt, and she noticed her initials were engraved into the hand guard along with some delicate scrollwork designs. "This isn't a manly weapon at all."

"I've got to read what your secret admirer says about this," Faith exclaimed. She grabbed the black envelope off the table, and she tore it open. Faith carefully removed the sword shaped charm. She slipped the note out of its holder, and she read it aloud.

A fine sharp blade to go with your fine sharp wit. Both designed to keep me on my toes. Your secret admirer.

"May I examine the sword, Buffy?" Giles asked. He held out his hand so that Buffy could give him the weapon. Giles carefully studied the blade and hilt. He came to the conclusion that the sword could very well have been forged just for Buffy. The weight and length were comparable to someone of her stature and style.

Faith handed the note and the charm to Buffy. Then she moved to Giles's side to examine the sword more closely. She ran her fingers over the blade, being careful not to cut herself. Faith was amazed at how the sword actually felt alive under her hand. She wondered if it was magical. "B, do you think your secret admirer could get one for me?" Faith asked, her voice filled with awe.

"You betcha," Buffy answered. She finished attaching the sword charm to her bracelet. "I'm sure who ever he turns out to be will be happy to. We'll ask him tomorrow."

After Giles handed the sword back to Buffy, she slid the blade into its scabbard. She took careful mental notes while Giles showed her how to wear the scabbard and how to use a sword maintenance kit. Buffy, Faith and Giles each heaved a sigh when Wesley interrupted the weapons lesson.

"I have been looking through the papers that the Mayor's man gave us. I really think we should locate this minion, Lenny," Wesley announced. He was seething inside about the way the two Slayers practically ignored him, but they hung on every word the older ex-Watcher said. He was the Watcher now, not Giles.

"Lenny? Hmm, that name sounds familiar." Buffy closed her eyes as she racked her memory for some little piece of information. Her eyes snapped open, and she replied, "Oh, pissant minion. He's dust in the wind, Wes."

"Are you quite sure, Miss Summers?" Wesley asked. He wondered where the Slayer had heard the word pissant. It wasn't a word he would have associated with her Valley Girl vocabulary.

"Yep. Spike dusted him when he was in town," Buffy informed Wesley. She wasn't going to give him anymore information than she had to. Besides, if he wanted to know what had happened he could easily ask Giles.

"Spike? Are you talking about William the Bloody? You've personally spoken to William the Bloody recently?" Wesley was gobsmacked. He was sure Giles's notes hadn't mentioned anything about Spike being in town recently.

"Mom did, too. He stopped by the house. They shared hot chocolate and romance war stories," Buffy answered. She rolled her eyes at Faith, which caused the dark haired Slayer to snicker behind a hand.

"Your mother invited him into your house? What was the woman thinking?" Wesley blustered. He wondered just how stupid the Slayer's mom could be. Luckily for him, he didn't say it out loud, or he would have found out exactly what a brassed off Buffy would look like.

"No, my mother didn't invite him into the house. I did it last year when we made a truce to take down Angelus," Buffy answered smugly. She was getting angry with Wesley. Buffy was so tired of his whole attitude. It was so concise with its black and white. She was fairly certain that Spike fell into a shade of gray. Maybe he was a very dark shade of gray, but he was there nevertheless.

"Have you at least revoked his invitation?" Wesley's ire rose when Buffy shook her head in denial. "How can you be so lax in your duty? He could come into your house to kill you and your mother as you sleep." He was surprised when Buffy burst out laughing and when Giles smirked.

"That is so not Spike's style, Wes. That would be cheating. He fights dirty, but always in a totally fair way." Buffy continued to chuckle. She smirked at both Faith and Giles. Buffy knew they would understand what she meant.

"That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard you say, Miss Summers. I have half a mind to report your tendencies to associate so closely with the enemy. It's one thing to fratinize with a souled vampire, but an unsouled one, too?" Wesley was beyond his breaking point with the girl's audacity and what he felt was a lack of respect for her position and his.

"You know, Wes, when you came to town I told Giles we should send you back home to the Council. He talked me out of it, but now I'm not so sure I wasn't right in the first place. Report what you want to the Council. I quit." Buffy grabbed up her new gift, and she stormed out of the library leaving three flabbergasted people behind her.

"Well, I never ..." Wesley gasped.

"Maybe you should have, Wes. I quit, too," Faith announced.She only put up with the stodgy man because Buffy had talked her into giving him a try. If Buffy was through with him, she was, too. She turned to speak to Giles, "See ya later, G-man. Guess with the three of us no longer in the employment of the Council we can have you as our Watcher Man, again."

Faith hurried out of the library to catch up with Buffy. She found Buffy standing outside the front of the school. Faith put her arm through Buffy's, and the two girls decided to go drown their sorrows in ice cream.

Back in the library, Giles shook his head at the younger British man. He marvelled at how fast Wesley lost control of the situation. "Wesley, I am sorry." Giles smirked at himself as Ripper tried to thrust himself to the surface. "I was very remiss in not informing you of Spike's visit when you took over the Watcher duties for Buffy. Also, there is nothing that makes her madder than someone trying to tell her who she can and cannot associate with."

"But ... but how do I rectify this situation? The Council will be so unhappy with me." Wesley sat down in one of the chairs. He had a dazed look on his face.

"It's time you learned how to be a Watcher." Giles moved towards the library doors. "You will have to figure out a solution on your own. Now, I have a meeting with Mrs. Butler. I will leave you alone to figure it out." Giles pushed open the doors, and he left the younger man alone in the library.

As soon as Giles left, the library was filled with a low, viscious growling sound. Wesley jumped to his feet in fear. His voice trembled as he spoke, "Who's there? Come out and face me like a man."

"You're not a man, you stupid sod, and neither am I.. My Slayer is neither lax nor stupid. Her mother has a heart of gold. If I catch you saying such things about either of them again, there will be hell to pay."

Wesley looked around as he tried to ascertain where the voice was coming from, but whoever it was wouldn't reveal themselves. Finally he got up the courage to grab a crossbow, and he searched the entire library. However, Wesley found no sign of his mysterious visitor, even as the threat continued to rattle around in his head.