Author's Chapter Notes:
My phone and dsl went out yesterday, just got it back on. Here's the introduction of Faith. As before thanks to my beta Tasha, and to Karyn to made the banner in chapter one.
February 3, 1999 Monday

Buffy was up bright and early on the sunny Monday morning. She dressed quickly in anticipation of another present from her anonymous beau. So her disappointment, when both her room and the breakfast table were both lacking in a gift, was palpable in the air. Buffy quickly finished her breakfast, and she said good-bye to her mother.

Buffy opened the front door to find her sister Slayer, Faith, with her fist poised to knock on the door. Buffy followed Faith's eyes down to the welcome mat. Lying there was a small jewelry box resting upon another black envelope. Both girls' eyes popped up at the same time, and they found themselves staring into each others eyes.

"So B, what's the what with the little gift?" Faith asked, and she dropped her hand back to her side.

"Seems like I have a secret admirer," Buffy said. She bent over to pick up both items. Buffy tucked the note into her armpit so she could immediately open the little box. She gasped when she saw the contents.

"Let me see, B." Faith moved in closer to spy into the velvet covered box. Then it was her turn to gasp. "Wow, girlfriend. Those are some choice diamond earrings you got there. Do you think they are real?"

"Oh yeah. The box is from Grabow's over on Hudson street," Buffy announced. She noticed a little piece of paper sticking out from under the piece of cardboard that the earrings were pierced through. She looked the paper over before handing it over to Faith.

"Oh yeah. They're real, alright. This here is the certificate of authenticity. Damn, you're lucky," Faith gasped out. "Let me take a gander at those while you read the card."

Buffy handed Faith the earrings while she untucked the card from under her arm. She tore the envelope open. She was careful not to lose the charm that she knew was housed inside. Buffy shook the charm out onto her palm, and showed she it to Faith, too.

"Nice," Faith drawled. She took the charm from Buffy and placed it in the earring box.

Buffy pulled the note out of the envelope. She dragged her fingers over the words, noticing for the first time that they were embellished. The words seemed to raise themselves off the paper towards her fingers. Now that's a ridiculous thought. She read the words out loud for Faith to hear.

Like a diamond in the sky, your brilliance shines down upon me, your lowly servant. Your secret admirer.

"Dang, B, I think you need to drop a few hints to the Xan-man about how to woo a girl," Faith chuckled.

Buffy stopped studying the note to stare at Faith, "You and Xander are getting serious?" Cordelia and Xander broke up a short while ago, but she'd seen the looks Faith sent Xander's way from the moment she had arrived in Sunnydale.

"Oh yeah, sure thing. Last night he grabbed some take out and a movie and came over to my apartment. It was nice," Faith announced shyly. She appeared nervous and shifted from one foot to the other.

Buffy smiled slightly as she thought more about what had happened in the past few months after Spike's visit. It all started with Spike's little jaunt down memory lane. There was such a sadness in his eyes when he spoke of how Drusilla had played him for a fool. Even Willow commented on that fact. Then the little 'Love's Bitch' speech he had given her and Angel at the magic shop which sent her thoughts in a flutter.

After thinking about what Spike said, Buffy had to break it off with Angel. When Angel tried to protest, she had arched her eyebrow at him and told him that things could never be as they were before. Then Joyce suprised Buffy by casually asking how Drusilla could have treated Spike so nonchalantly when he appeared to care for her so deeply. Buffy's only reply was because the dark haired vampiress was a big ho. Buffy missed the funny look that crossed her mother's face at the comment. The last thing that happened was that the next time Buffy saw Faith, she realized that the dark Slayer had the same look of loneliness that crossed Spike's face. This knowledge had spurned her into motion.

Buffy went to Giles to have him call the Council and get Faith money for someplace to live besides a hotel room. Then Buffy took her sister Slayer apartment shopping, telling the other girl that the hotel room made her too vulnerable to vampires. The two girls were able to find a small studio apartment that suited Faith's needs perfectly. All of the Scoobies got together to help furnish the apartment, even Cordelia. Faith was so astonished with everything that she even cried a little. Later she totally went into tough girl mode and denied it. Now the two Slayers were as close as ... well, sisters.

"Guess that means I can mark Xander off my list of potential secret admirers, huh?" Buffy smirked at the dark Slayer as she stepped inside the foyer. She placed the envelope on the small table, took the earrings she was wearing off, and put on the diamond ones.

"Yep, you sure can, B," Faith replied happily. She helped Buffy put the charm on the bracelet. Faith was elated to see the smile on Buffy's face. She'd been worried the past few months because the blond Slayer never seemed happy anymore.

"Walk me to school?" Buffy asked. She grinned when Faith nodded her ascent, and they closed the door behind them.

The two girls walked towards the school. They were totally engrossed in conversation, and so they were unaware of how their contrasts of light and dark caused many a head to turn to watch them pass.

"So, training with Wesley after school?"

"Sure, B. Gotta break the new Watcher in," Faith laughed at that idea. "Have you seen tall, dark and broody lately?"

"No. I guess he's down in Los Angeles looking into getting some sort of business started there. I don't really talk to him all that much," Buffy answered. They continued their walk towards the high school in comfortable conversation and companionship.