Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you read and enjoy!
HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA


Act III; Scene IV: ‘April Is The Cruelest Month!’


Summary: Buffy’s life goes on and it is now April. Big plans are afoot but trouble lies on the horizon…..


A/N: ‘April is the cruelest month’ here is a quote by T.S. Elliot. Too true, April can be the cruelest month for many reasons.


April was truly the cruelest month of the year. Working adults were legally held (figuratively speaking of course) at gun point to make that dreaded deadline of the 15th of the month.

A lot of high school students did not fare much better, of course. April was kind of the ‘panic’ month of the school year; a sink or swim kind of thing as it were. Seniors were frantically preparing for finals in May or June and of course, waiting to hear from various colleges. The schools that would make or break their educational futures; the poor little lambs!

All young people, for the most part, were hit with that old April illness, spring fever. As were the adults also. No one was immune; of any age, creed or nationality, to the desire for summer to arrive.

Spike and Buffy were no exception to the rule. The problem of their continuing education had been solved earlier; they would both attend Sunnydale University together. This practical, romantic solution for them resolved the some stress factors for both sets of their parents.

Hank Summers doted on Buffy and would have gladly paid the entire tuition for USC or any other school she had been accepted at. However, Hank and Joyce, along with Dawn Summers did not really want Buffy to move away from them at all.

Actually, Rupert Giles felt the same way about his son, Spike, however the librarian did not have the money resources that the Summers did. Even if Spike could be accepted to many colleges also, Sunnydale was his first choice for financial reasons.

So, when Buffy insisted on attending Sunnydale with Spike, this part of the family problems for both the Summers and Giles was immediately solved. The young couple could choose to live in dorms or at home with their respective families.

Now, who in the world could have imagined, at the time; that this little drama would end up as it would? (A/N: sorry, you’ll just have to read the whole story; no hints for now!)

“What are you wearing to Spring Fling?” Cordelia Chase asked Buffy Summers. “I think you should go with something green,” the young socialite stated with pursed lips. “It’ll bring out your eyes Buff.”

Since Buffy had made it clear, sometime earlier, that she and Spike Giles were a permanent, her little group of friends had come around and accepted the situation. Cordelia and Anya Jenkins both had stood, steadfastly, by their good friend Buffy. The two young women had made it more the clear to their respective boyfriends, Angel and Xander that they’d better go along with their decision in this Spuffy matter.

Of course, both Angel and Xander had put up a good fight, kind of, but finally in the end they had given in to the two girls. Ever since that time, Angel and Xander had followed along and made friends with Spike and his group of friends.

Jesse, Spike’s best friend, was especially happy about this turn of events. As children and young teens, Xander Harris had been a great friend of Jesse’s and the young man was happy to have that relationship somewhat back in his life.

“I was thinking of something in red,” Buffy purred, a slight smirk on her pretty mouth.

“I’m wearing red!” Cordelia screeched in disbelief. “Oh, Buff, you just can’t wear red! It’ll clash with your skin tone and everyone knows brunettes should wear red, it…..”

“Oh for God’s sake Cordy! I was just kidding! The closest I’ll come to a red gown is maybe a shade of pink! Don’t get your knickers in a twist!” Buffy began to giggle wildly at the incredulous look Cordelia was wearing at that moment.

“Hmmmphh, you’d better not wear red,” Cordelia muttered, somewhat placated by her good friends admission.

“I’m wearing black,” Anya interjected, which provoked yet another look of disbelief from Cordelia.

“You can’t,” Cordy gasped in shock; as if someone had just told her Anya was going to Spring Fling with someone other then Xander. “Everyone wears bright dresses or at least pastels to Spring Fling,” Cordelia spat knowingly. “Black is for Winter Carnival and…..”

“I can and I am,” Anya countered stubbornly. “I’m going to wear a black, deadly dress and Xander is wearing a black tux. My Xander doesn’t dress up, ever and I’ll be damned if he’s going to wear some Hawaiian print monstrosity to Spring Fling. We’re going black tie and fancy black dress or…..”

“Oh for God’s sake, Cordelia,” Buffy chuckled good-naturedly. “Let Anya and Xander wear what they want. Although, I doubt if Xander has much to say about it, eh?”

Anya grinned at Buffy affectionately and Cordelia chose to end the unpleasant conversation.

“Well, at least Willow won’t be wearing red,” Cordy sniffed. “The color would clash with her hair and Oz’s!”

“Are we going to Milano’s for supper first? Like we planned all along?” Cordelia asked bluntly, completely changing the subject.

“I thought that was the plan,” Buffy stammered with a roll of her green eyes at Anya. “I told Will that and he’s going to make reservations. Isn’t that what we decided?”

“Yes,” both Cordelia and Anya responded together.

“When are we going shopping for our dresses,” Anya whined impatiently as she scanned the hallway for Xander.

“I thought maybe Thursday,” Cordelia replied matter-of-factly, taking charge of the situation. “Daddy’s newest charge card is burning a hole in my new Versace wallet and I’m not holding back any longer.”

“Poor Daddy,” Cordelia sighed and pouted. “He’s so distracted by how much he’ll owe the IRS that he’s forgotten all about the charge limit he put on me.” This thought made Cordelia Chase grin widely.

“My daddy says that Rupert Giles is going to be doing everyone’s’ income tax forms,” Anya mentioned casually as she again scanned the hallway for Xander.

“Oh,” Buffy cried abruptly, “I forgot to mention that we’re having a fourth couple join us for Spring Fling and…..”

“It had better not be that Jesse,” Cordelia grunted in exasperation. “Oh, it’s not that ‘he’ bothers anyone so much,” she added quickly when she noted Buffy’s distressed expression.

“It’s that skanky ‘ho’ girlfriend of his, Faith, that no one can stomach,” Cordelia snorted.

“Hmmm,” Buffy mumbled softly. She focused on her locker in front of her.

“Hmmmm?” Anya inquired suspiciously.

“Well,” Buffy began carefully, “it’s not like Jesse actually ‘sees’ Faith anymore.”

Something in Buffy’s demeanor alerted both Cordelia and Anya to some very interesting news. Actually, this sounded more like juicy gossip and neither girl was willing to let this go by.

“Spill,” Cordy hissed wickedly.

“Okay,” Buffy sighed. “I’ll tell you, but please don’t think this is sour grapes, right?”

“Right,” Cordelia and Anya responded together.

“Well,” Buffy began, “a while back, Jesse stumbled onto Riley and Faith, at the Bronze, their heads pressed together and…..”

“Riley was mackin’ with Faith!” Anya gasped in disbelief. “I don’t believe it! Even he would never stoop so low to…..”

“I didn’t say they were mackin’ together,” Buffy grumbled in frustration. “Their heads were close together, that’s all. It’s just that Jesse didn’t like the look of it. He split with Faith right after and, well, he kind of took an interest in Drusilla, William’s sister. That’s all. It’s Drusilla that Jesse is bringing to the dance, okay!”

“Oh,” Cordelia said softly. “Uhm, that is interesting,” the brunette stated in a hushed tone. “Of course,” she continued, “Drusilla ‘is’ a beauty, in her own right. Pity she’s a bit ‘off’ in the head but I have to give kudos to Jesse. He…..”

“Drusilla is a beauty,” Buffy interrupted vehemently as she stood up to her full height of 5’1” or so. “She’s beautiful inside and out and as for her offness in the head? Well, I think she’s just rather special and unearthly. Dru’s been enamored of Jesse for years and it’s about time he noticed! I can’t believe that even you, Cordelia, would judge a poor girl like Drusilla; just because she’s different then everyone else and…..”

“Buffy,” Cordelia interjected, “I didn’t mean to sound mean or cruel. I’m glad that Spike’s friend, Jesse, decided to dump that worthless ‘ho’ Faith and find a real lady to spend time with. Okay?”

“Okay,” Buffy murmured quietly. “I just don’t want Drusilla hurt, alright? She ‘is’ special and good and kind.”

“We’ll make her feel like a regular member of our group Buff,” Anya offered generously.

“Thanks,” Buffy replied. “It would mean so much to me and William.”

“She won’t wear red, will she?” Cordelia suddenly asked out of the blue. “I mean, Drusilla? Do you think…..”


“Mr. Chase,” Rupert Giles sighed into the receiver of his cordless phone. “I have tried my best to cover every loop hole and tax break I could find. At least the legal ones,” the Brit continued patiently.

“Yes sir, I understand. However, you ‘have’ made quite a remarkable income this past year and…..” Rupert continued cautiously.

“Yes, I know you have given an extraordinary amount to charity and that is quite commendable and all. I have noted that on your returns and I am still looking into your other exemptions. I will do my best to itemize all of your deductions and assists. I promise to find every legal deduction and loop hole possible to report to the IRS for you. I do feel I can minimize your payment; in fact, there may a distinct possibility of a refund to you?” Rupert finished on a very hopeful note.


Ah, yes, April is the cruelest month.


A/N: Thought I forgot about this one, didn’t you? This is just a little chapter to keep the story going. The angst is coming, truly, in the next few chapters.

Thank you for reading and please review, spufette.