Author's Chapter Notes:
Long time; no update! Hope you like.
HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA


Summary: Warning; this is going to be a fairly long summary.

Although this chapter is set in springtime in Sunnydale; there is a winter's storm a brewing for Spike and Buffy in particular.

The title and ‘pre-script’ is taken from Shakespeare’s Richard III. This will turn out to be appropriate since in this chapter, Buffy is cast as the female lead of Lady Anne in Sunnydale High’s production of that famous play. I’m going to introduce some new characters (well familiar ones from the show). Warren Meers will be playing Richard III in the play (thought that was cool!) and Andrew and Johnathan will be along for the ride.


However, it is not Warren or even the character he is playing that will turn out to be the ‘villain’ for the remainder of this story. The main villain’s name does, however, begin with the letter R. Can you guess who he is?



Act III; Scene V: ‘Now Is The Winter…..’


{Pre-script: “Now is the winter of our discontent…” from Richard III by William Shakespeare}


Buffy had the best time at the Spring Fling formal. Everything had turned out beautifully; from dinner to the dance. More then anything, Buffy had been touched by how easily ‘the guys’ had accepted Spike and Jesse into their group. It had made things all the better for Buffy and her boyfriend, Spike.

Bowing to Cordelia’s great fashion sense (and her constant threats to not attend if Buffy wore red) Buffy did wear a satiny gown of emerald green. Cordelia had turned out to be right, of course, when the emerald of Buffy’s dress brought out her green eyes and honey colored long hair.

Spike looked more handsome then usual in his black dress trousers and matching suit jacket (which he hated, but wore to please Buffy); a dark green silk shirt underneath to finish the outfit. The white orchid wrist corsage he gave Buffy before the dance was perfectly matched for her tiny wrist.

Xander was actually decked out in black tux and tails; his date, Anya wore a somewhat sedate black cocktail dress. Cordelia was in a drop dead red formal; Angel wore a tux with a red bow tie.

Somehow, Buffy found the red bow tie a little ridiculous, but she bit her tongue and let Cordy have her day; her way. Willow wore an off the shoulder yellow taffeta; her date the incredible Oz, wore a white suit, with a pale yellow shirt to match Willow’s dress.


‘It all works,’ Buffy thought to herself smugly. Her friends' ensembles definitely were the highlight of the Spring Fling, this was true. However, Buffy felt that it was Jesse and Drusilla that outshone them all.

Drusilla, with a huge prompting from Buffy, wore a simple, classy dress of a royal blue color. Jesse wore a very trendy royal blue suit and black tie; his dark eyes danced merrily as he escorted his date around the decorated gym. His date, Drusilla, simply radiated happiness on the arm of her beloved Jesse.

The fact that Riley had showed up late to the dance; with a subdued Samantha in tow, cheered Buffy up rather then upset her. Buffy hoped that Riley had truly moved on with Sam, especially since Jesse had insisted something was going on between Riley and Faith. Apparently, Spike’s friend Jesse was wrong on all counts.

Buffy truly wanted Riley to be happy, even if he nearly beat the shit out of her earlier in the year.

‘Maybe Sam can curb Riley’s temper,’ Buffy hopefully to herself.

“Look at them,” Riley hissed from the shadows as he watched Spike and Buffy dance together, cheek to cheek. “You’d think they were…..”

“Can’t we just forget ‘them’ for tonight,” Samantha whined, “it’s the last dance before Prom, Riley. Can’t we just have a good time?”

“What’s going on,” Harmony hissed like a snake, her arm entwined with her date, Devon.

“We’re just watching the bleached blond freak, Giles, try to look impressive with my…..” Riley grumbled until Devon cut him off.

“Why don’t I get us some punch?” Devon asked Harmony hopefully.

“Sure,” Harmony shrugged as her date headed to the refreshment table.

“He’s cute, but kind of a jerk, er I mean jock. Okay so Devon’s not so bright, up here,” Harmony snorted to Riley and Sam with a roll of her eyes.

Samantha gave Harmony an incredulous look: ‘Who was this bimbo kidding? Devon a jerk? What about her? Harmony had the IQ of an amoeba; except the amoeba probably had more sense!’

“I don’t understand why we have to concentrate on those two,” Sam mumbled when she noticed Harmony and Riley watching Spike and Buffy.

“Because ‘she’ thinks she’s all that, that’s why,” Harmony sniffed in response.

“Buffy’s a fool for lowering herself to the likes of Spike Giles,” both Riley and Harmony hissed in unison.

“When can we put our plan into action?” Riley asked Harmony, successfully cutting Samantha out of the conversation completely.

“Haven’t you heard?” Harmony asked with wide blue eyes. “The little princess there,” she pointed her chin at Buffy, “has landed the female lead in Richard III. That nerd, Warren Meers is Richard and well, whoever is whatever in the rest of the cast. Buffy will have tons of rehearsals and all; I’m sure we can arrange ‘something’ to distract her from Spike. Right Riley,” the blond girl grinned wickedly at the lumbering man beside her.

“I’m not sure I like any of this,” Sam murmured half-heartedly.

“Too late, sweetheart,” Riley snickered, “you’re gonna’ be as deep in this shit as all of us by the time this is over.”

After the dance, Buffy and Spike said their goodnights to their group of friends and headed out in Spike’s DeSoto.

Their destination was quite simple, really. A wonderfully secluded cottage by the Pacific Ocean. Spike had reserved a room for Friday and Saturday night for the both of them; Buffy told her parents she was staying at Willows. Of course, Hank and Joyce were not fooled at all, but they played along with the young couple.

When they checked into the Inn’s office, Buffy got the distinct feeling that the clerk behind the desk was smirking at her.

“I will need age verification,” the snooty clerk stated evenly with a watery smile.

“Of course,” Spike replied curtly as he held out his and Buffy’s driver’s license.

“Well, everything seems to be in order,” the young man sighed almost in disappointment.

“Thank you,” Buffy called cheerily as she and Spike headed to their special little cottage by the seashore.

Buffy stood on the cottages second floor balcony and surveyed the beauty of the vast Pacific Ocean. Even in the black of night, the ocean shined form the moonlight and spread out over its massive expanse.

“Beautiful,” Buffy gasped in delight.

“Yes you are,” Spike murmured in appreciation from behind Buffy, his arms embraced her lovingly.

“What’s this?” Buffy asked a bit stunned by the bottle that Spike carried in his left hand.

“A little champagne for my lady,” he replied softly as he reached into his pocket for a bottle opener.

Spike had managed to get his hands on three bottles of his father’s champagne from the cabinet. Hopefully, Rupert wouldn’t notice the missing bubbly for quite a while.

“I’ve iced the drink, checked the bed to make sure it’s perfect for you, Princess and…..” Spike began, but Buffy cut him off.

“Thought I was a sure thing, huh,” she tried to mask the nervous giggle that emitted from her lips.

“No,” Spike replied, his old insecurity just happen to flare up again, at least where Buffy was concerned.

“Too bad,” Buffy hmphed saucily, “because I ‘assure’ you; I am a sure thing where you’re concerned…”

This time, Spike cut her off with a very passionate kiss to her lush, pink lips.

After Spike opened the first bottle, he sat on the balcony lounge chair, successfully pulling a giggling Buffy onto his strong lap. She sighed in contentment and sipped her ice cold champagne, “mmmm,” she whispered.

“Mmmm, is right,” Spike murmured as he nuzzled his lips into her golden hair. “I love you, Buffy,” he murmured affectionately.

“I know,” she replied dreamily.

“Oh this is lovely,” Buffy sighed, even more contented then just a moment earlier.

“Yup, it is,” Spike mumbled in agreement, his free right hand tenderly stroked Buffy’s bare arm.

“I was so proud of Drusilla and Jesse tonight, Will,” Buffy sighed softly against his cheek.

“Your sister was just beautiful, and Jesse? He was so gallant and chivalrous with Dru. Weren’t you proud of them both Will?” Buffy looked up into Spike’s blue eyes, her own green ones shown with sentimental tears.

“They were great Princess,” Spike hummed happily in remembrance of the pair his sister and best friend had made at the dance. “They owe it to you, you know,” he whispered tenderly into Buffy’s ear.

“How so?” Buffy asked somewhat surprised.

“You encouraged Drusilla to go with Jesse, even if she didn’t need much of a push,” Spike chuckled. “Jesse was so bloody shy about the whole thing and I think you’re encouragement was just what he needed to ask my sis out.”

“Could be,” Buffy hummed quietly. “Could be that maybe Jesse woke up and smelled the coffee?”

“Yeah, could be,” Spike mumbled sleepily.

“Tired?” Buffy asked coyly as she ran her tiny hand over his bare chest.

“Not too,” he smirked in reply as he grabbed her sneaky little hand and kissed it tenderly.

“Will?” Buffy whispered with just a smidge of hesitance. “Are you okay with me being in the play, Richard III? I mean really baby, do you mind my…..”

“I think its wonderful Buffy, I do,” Spike nodded then gave her cheek a quick kiss. “You’ll be bloody great, sweet. The perfect Lady Anne you are.”

“You’re not, you know, a bit put off by my having a guy like Warren be my leading man and all?” Buffy asked a bit nervously.

“Buffy, I love and trust you,” Spike sighed, pulling her even closer to him. “Besides, even if I didn’t trust you, which I do,” he continued wryly, “I don’t think Warren Meers is a big issue, do you?”

“You know?” Buffy gasped in stunned surprise. She had no idea that anyone but a select few knew that Warren Meers was no threat to any of the ‘boyfriends’ of the girls in the play.

“Known for a while, baby,” Spike shrugged in indifference. “Warren’s playing for the other team,” he added matter-of-factly. “I can’t be sure,” he continued thoughtfully, “but I’m thinkin’ that Andrew Prescott and him are, you know,” he finished almost shyly.

“They are,” Buffy answered evenly, “and I think it’s wonderful of you not to ‘say’ anything to anyone else Will. It just proves what a great guy you really are; how mature and kind.”

“What’s it to me who a bloke cares for,” Spike shrugged again and gave Buffy’s forehead a tender kiss.

“I love you, you know,” Buffy murmured shyly as she buried her head deeper into her love’s chest.

“I know,” he rasped deeply, standing up and sweeping his love into the suite’s master bedroom.

“I love you Buffy,” Spike panted desperately, thrusting into her sweet cunny with his eager cock.

“I love you Will,” Buffy whimpered in reply, barely able to speak, as always, when her William was making love to her.

“Buffy,” Spike gasped, “marry me baby,” he commanded gruffly.

“Wha….what!” Buffy exclaimed in shock, nearly pushing him from atop her.

“I said marry me,” Spike repeated even more firmly then before.

“Will,” Buffy stammered in disbelief, well kind of. “I,” she began carefully.

“Oh, maybe not today, or tomorrow, or even in a year or so, but someday Buffy sweet, please?” Spike murmured huskily into her ear.

"I've loved you forever, Buffy," he whispered sincerely. "I need you and love you; you're my girl forever and always."

“Someday will you…..” he continued, a little less bolder then a moment before.

Buffy buried her face into her Will’s damp neck and clutched him to her, tighter then even before.

“Someday,” she murmured softly into his warm, wet flesh, “someday I ‘will’ marry you my Will.”


Margaret Walsh, the acting coach of Sunnydale, gathered her ‘cast’ around beside her.

“I’ve found some people to paint the scenery,” Mrs. Walsh crowed proudly.


“Faith and Samantha will be helping Andrew and Johnathan in creating and painting the stage props!” Margaret exclaimed happily.

Buffy glanced over at the two girls, who beamed with pride as they nodded at the applause around them.

“I’m glad you guys are going to be a part of this,” Buffy stated sincerely.

“Thanks B,” Faith purred silkily in reply.

“Yeah,” Sam mumbled half-heartedly, unable to look Buffy in the face. Things were beginning to click in Samantha’s addled mind and she was beginning to wonder if…..

“Okay then,” Buffy stammered nervously, “see you around.”

“Bitch,” Faith hissed as she watched the tiny blond hurry off to the dressing rooms.

“Faith,” Samantha began cautiously, “just why do you hate Buffy so much?”

“She’s just so fucking…..” Faith began, but her sentence trailed off when she looked into Samantha’s dark eyes.

“I used to think that it was because of Jesse, or maybe even Spike, you know; jealousy,” Samantha began, her eyes focused on the activity on the stage. “Then I wondered if you were just angry at Buffy because she has it all,” the tall girl sighed sadly. “Maybe you just envied the golden girl and everything she had?”

“Where you going with this Sammy?” Faith asked impatiently, her dark, angry eyes surveyed the stage, looking for Buffy.

“I’m going to here,” Sam continued evenly, “and why you’re mixed up in this mess. I’ve finally figured it out. It’s not that you’re jealous of Buffy, per say or what she has,” Sam mumbled quietly. “It’s not that you want Buffy’s life or what she has control of,” she added.

“Well, enlighten us all almighty Kresnik,” Faith snorted sarcastically.

“It’s because you want Buffy herself, isn’t it?” Samantha asked her eyes steeled onto Faith’s.

“What the fuck are you talking about here girly?” Faith nearly screamed indignantly. However, her whole demeanor cried more ‘found out’ and less ‘indignant.'

“I see it all now!” Samantha spat knowingly.

“You don’t want Buffy’s life; you want Buffy,” Samantha stuttered incredulously. “It’s always been about Buffy with you, hasn’t it?”

“You don’t know shit! Get the fuck out of my face!” Faith hissed with the venom of a rattle snake. The brunette restrained herself from lunging at the taller girl, Finn’s newest conquest.

If people hadn’t been so close by, Faith would have beat the shit out of the all knowing Samantha; that was for sure. Instead, she opted for busying herself with some stupid fucking random prop she was in charge of.

“We’ll see who Buffy turns to when the shit hits the fan,” Faith growled to herself as she punched a castle façade made of cardboard.

Samantha turned and shuffled away, leaving Faith alone to scan the stage for the girl she had obsessed about for over a year.

“Hey you,” Cordelia giggled merrily as she pulled Buffy into the girls’ dressing area. “How’s it going?”

“Great,” Buffy replied gleefully, her faced glowing brightly.

“You really love him, Spike I mean,” Cordelia stated, “It’s written all over your face.”

“I do,” Buffy giggled happily. “Can I let you in on a secret Cordy?”


Warren Meers’ deep voice boomed from the stage of Sunnydale’s auditorium:

“Now is the winter of our discontent;
Made glorious by this sun of York!”


The small acting ensemble on the stage did not see the glowering yet smug young man in the shadows. They could not hear the echo of his own deep voice when he repeated Richard III’s venomous, fateful words.

“No truer words were ever spoken,” Riley Finn hissed from the dark shadows he had hidden himself in. He chuckled wickedly, knowing that Buffy had asked her precious Spike not to attend the rehearsals.

Riley’s sources, in the play, had made it clear that Buffy didn’t want Spike at rehearsals. Only because she wanted her wonderful lover to see the play on opening night; for the first time.

“Well, I am discontented Buffy,” Riley grumbled harshly as he turned away from the scene before him. “I won’t be for long though,” he added evilly. “You’ll be mine again Buffy Summers and no glorious ‘sun’ of York or Giles will be able to keep you from me.”


A/N: Oh oh…..

Thank you for reading and please review, spufette.