Author's Chapter Notes:
I know, another chapter, so soon. I'm just having so much fun with this one!
HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA


Summary: Riley breaks up Spike and Buffy’s ‘moment’ for now anyway. Through a conversation that Spike has with his inner self, we find out some of the reasons he hates Riley so much.

Buffy begins to question her social status and who her real friends are.


Act I/Scene II: ‘Moments’


{Why can’t we ‘know’ what we know as adults when we are young? High school would have been a hell of a lot simpler!}


“Buffy, what the hell are you doing out here? With him?” Riley bellowed as he strode over to where Spike and Buffy stood together.

The second Spike had heard that hated voice of Riley Finn’s, he’d reared back from Buffy in front of him. Spike had not had the chance to even begin the ‘kiss’ he had envisioned just seconds before. Much less finish it.

Spike leaned back against the balcony railing and lit up another cigarette. He narrowed his blue eyes into slits as he watched fuck face Finn stumble over to he and Buffy.

Buffy sighed in frustration (brought on by many factors) and rolled her green eyes.

‘This is so not going to go well,’ she informed herself in her mind.

With what he hoped was a nasty smirk, Spike looked up at Riley and asked, “well, how’s it hangin’ no neck?” His tone dripped with sarcasm, especially when he realized that the dense football star had missed the no neck remark completely.

“They’re ‘hangin’ just fine, Giles,” Riley growled back at the bleach blond menace. Riley hated this asshole, Spike Giles, with all the passion he could muster. For some reason, he had always hated Spike and his gang of loser goths.

It amazed Riley to no end that his girl, Buffy, even still spoke to this ‘nothing’at all. Never so much until now, to find his Buffy out on the balcony, alone with the hated blond punk.

“Why are you out here, Buff, and with him of all….” Riley didn’t get to finish his question.

Spike cut him off at the pass. “It’s still a bloody free country, right Finn? Buffy can go anywhere she likes, can’t she then?” His proper British accent could not hide the contempt in his tone. Spike hated Riley with all the passion he could muster. For many reasons that all had to do with the beautiful blond girl, Buffy Summers.

Riley glared at Spike; then at Buffy, his brown eyes were filled with jealous anger.

“Come back inside, baby,” Riley snapped the order like a drill sergeant. “You’re real friends are in there,” he pointed into the Bronze.

“Yeah, my real friends, right,” Buffy grumbled in reply, even though she stilled looked at Spike. For some reason, she was ‘looking’ at her old friend in a whole new light. It somewhat disturbed her, that was for sure.

“They’re such good friends of mine that they talk about me, behind my back, every chance they get. Those so called real friends of mine are probably gossiping about me right now; in fact they probably started the moment I came out here. I can just hear Cordelia snapping off, like a yapping Chihuahua; about how my ‘look’ is so last year and…..” Buffy didn’t finish the sentence.

She was too busy trying not to burst out into laughter; the smirk on Spike’s handsome mouth was just too priceless. Buffy couldn’t stop herself from at least giggling, merrily, which caused Spike to grin widely at her.

“They are our real friends, baby,” Riley whined, the hurt was evident in his usually deep voice. “I know that chicks can be bitchy sometimes but…”

“So can blokes,” Spike grumbled, finally letting his gaze break from Buffy’s luminous green eyes.

Spike shot Riley a ‘you know what the fuck I’m talking about’ mate; so don’t even say another bloody word about it.

“What does that mean?” Buffy asked, a little confused. “What does Spike mean, Riley?” She scrunched up her fair brows and searched her boyfriend’s dark eyes for an answer.

“I meant nothin’ Princess. Just talkin’ out my arse,” Spike answered for the bloody hulking git. He was relieved to see that Buffy ‘seemed’ to accept his reply. Spike would not hurt Buffy for the world; he’d cut off his left arm for her.

‘No point in hurting her; lettin’ her know just what her fucking so called boyfriend says about her. In the gym locker room that is.’ Spike assured his inner conscience that he was doing the right thing.

Even though he would have loved to ‘out’ Riley right in front of Buffy, especially with him there. Riley was always holding court, after PE, in the locker room and bragging about his and Buffy’s great sex life together.

It made Spike sick, literally, and on more then one occasion, he had told Riley to shut his fucking mouth. One time, Riley and Xander Harris; Finn's best mate, jumped Spike and beat the crap out of him; right there in the locker room. All the guys had stood around, egging them on; rooting for either Riley, Xander or even Spike.

Usually, though, Riley would just flip Spike off when he ordered the incredible hulk to shut the fuck up. After he’d flip him off, Riley would shut up, for a week or so, but then he’d start up again. Especially on Monday morning, after PE class. The locker room would echo with male laughter and hoots as Finn would regale male crowd with his and Buffy’s latest coupling.

Spike hated Riley Finn for many reasons; mainly because he had Buffy, but also because he disrespected his special girl. One day, in the not so distant future, Spike Giles was going to rip Riley Finn a new one; physically and verbally. One day really soon.

“Riley, I’ll be back in a moment, okay?” Buffy murmured to her boyfriend as she nodded in the general direction of the Bronze inside area.

“Oh, all right,” Riley grumbled under his breath; a note of reluctance in his voice. Before he stumbled back into the Bronze, Riley shot Spike a dangerous glare.

Buffy waited until Riley had disappeared from sight before she turned and faced Spike again. She crossed her arms over her chest and tilted her head to one side, slightly.

“No neck?” Buffy asked Spike in exasperation.

Spike gave Buffy a sheepish, but hopefully charming smile. “Well, he deserved it,” the blond young man muttered.

‘Fucking wanker spoiled our moment,’ Spike reasoned silently.

“Yeah, Riley can deserve some shit, occasionally,” Buffy giggled merrily. “He tries though, he really does Spike.”

She smiled tenderly at Spike, causing his heart to skip a beat.

‘He tries all right,’ Spike thought maliciously. ‘Finn tries awful bloody hard to be a fucking arse!’

Instead of voicing his true feelings? Spike opted to reach out and tenderly tuck that ever errant blond strand of Buffy’s soft hair back behind her ear.

“You just deserve better, okay Princess. At least I think so,” he whispered sincerely.

“Take care of yourself, Spike,” Buffy murmured softly as she turned to walk away.

“You just take care of yourself, sweetling,” Spike mumbled in reply.

Buffy stopped mid-step and turned to look at her old friend again. “You know,” she began hesitantly, “I really did hate that awful yellow dress.” Then she turned and left Spike alone on the balcony.

“Funny, I rather liked it,” Spike whispered to the empty air.


“What do you see in that freak, Spoke anyway?” Cordelia Chase asked Buffy; her perfectly glossed lips were twisted in a sour scowl.

Riley was driving Buffy, Cordelia and Angel and himself home in his Mustang.

“It’s Spike,” Buffy muttered wearily as she focused her eyes on the road in front of them. Actually, it’s William and he was my friend long before any of you even knew I existed,” she finished harshly.

‘Christ, can’t they just leave this alone?’ Buffy asked herself for the hundredth time that night. ‘And why the hell does big old Riley drive such a small car?’ She wondered again, for the millionth time in a year. ‘He looks ridiculous in it!’

“Drop me off at Cordy’s,” Angel ordered suddenly from the back seat; mercifully changing the subject.

Buffy would have to remember to thank her good buddy later for that save.

“My folks are out of town this weekend,” Cordy stated the obvious. “Angel’s staying over,” she chuckled wickedly.

“Sure as fuck am,” Angel growled lustily, taking his rich, lovely girlfriend in his arms.

“Why don’t you call your parents from my place, Buff,” Cordy offered matter of factly. “Riley and you can use a guest room and…..”

“I’m still in trouble for that last car incident,” Buffy snapped back quickly. She had no intention of staying the night at Cordy’s house; especially with Riley there.

Riley pouted, openly, at his girlfriend’s reply. Lately, the football star had noticed that Buffy was becoming less and less interested in spending quality ‘fucking’ time with him. It was beginning to truly piss him off.

After Riley dropped off Angel and Cordelia, he drove off quickly. Instead of heading to Buffy’s house, he drove up to Inspiration Point and parked the car.

“Come here,” he purred silkily to Buffy, whom was trying hard not to show her disappointment at the turn of events.

“Riley,” she began carefully, “I really am still in trouble for the last car fender bender. I have an earlier curfew now and…..”

“This won’t take long,” Riley rasped as he began to paw at Buffy’s pink baby tee.

“No, I suppose it won’t,” Buffy sighed, giving in to Riley’s rough ministrations.

The truth was; Buffy’s mind was a million miles away. Well, maybe not a million miles away, but certainly miles away from here; and Riley.

She couldn’t get the thought Spike’s sweet expression of pure adoration for her out of her mind. Buffy was well aware, of course, that Spike had every intention of kissing her, earlier on the outside balcony of the Bronze.

What was really disturbing about the whole damn memory was that Buffy would have gladly let him kiss her. In fact, she had been pretty put out when Riley had interrupted her and Spike’s tender moment together.

‘Oh, shit,’ Buffy groaned silently to herself. ‘What in the hell is wrong with me?’


Spike sat in his house, totally naked except for his boxers. He sipped, sullenly on a beer and smoked his cigarette; not really enjoying either of the forbidden treats.

His parents were gone for the night and he had the house all to himself. He should have been happy, of course, even though he was one teenager that seemed to actually get along with his folks.

He’d be a lot happier if he had some female company tonight; specifically a female by the name of Buffy Summers.

Faith Evans, the go to bint for a quick fuck, by any male, had made it quite clear she had Spike in mind for tonight. Spike gallantly blew her off and basically cleared his best friend Jesse to take Faith on.

Like Spike had told Jesse, just hours earlier; where Faith Evans was concerned? He’d been there; done that and had no intention or desire to go back for more.

Spike realized, some time ago, that there was only one girl for him. Buffy. The problem was he had to figure out a way to woo her out of that wanker, Finn’s arms and into his own.

Unknown to Buffy, that kiss that she and he had shared nearly six years ago was more then just a fond memory for Spike. It was emblazoned on his lips; his mind and most of all, his soul.

Spike Giles loved Buffy Summers; always had and always would.


A/N: Second chapter, because I’m just having such fun with this one…already!

Please read and review, thanks, spufette.