Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the chapter that reveals Buffy's true inner feelings about Riley. (None!)
No really, it's going to be good, later, promise.
HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA


A/N: Oh, I just wanted to let you all know that Hank and Joyce Summers will be making their presence known in this story. Now, I intend on making Hank a little more human in this fiction. He will not be against Spuffy love, promise. I thought it might be a nice change for once.


Summary: Dawn Summers is introduced at the beginning of this chapter. She is Buffy’s little sister and about 12 right now; the kid will give wonderful insight into the personality of one Riley Finn.

Buffy has a new classmate in Trigonometry! Who will it be?

Willow and Buffy have a very private convo at lunch and some surprising secrets come out! How will Buffy deal with these potentially life-altering secrets?



Act I/Scene III: ‘And They Say Chivalry is Dead?’


{They say that chivalry is dead; you can’t prove that by me. For I say it is alive and well; at least for Spike and Buffy}


“Dawn!” Buffy screeched at the top of her lungs down her families’ staircase. “Get your twelve-year-old butt up here, now!”

It was Sunday; a typical Sunday in the Summers’ household. Buffy was home for the day, and evening and there would be the usual Sunday supper at about 3:00 PM. It would be Joyce Summers’ pot roast, with potatoes and carrots; baby peas, of course.

“DAWN!” Buffy bellowed this time, down the stairs, to her little and only sister, Dawn Lee Summers. “You had better be up, in my room by the count of…..”

Dawn popped her head out of the kitchen; her blue eyes wide with fear. “I’m coming Buffy,” Dawn called, all innocent like.

“You’d better be,” Buffy growled loudly.

The young girl bound up the stairs and past Buffy, her dark hair flying behind her.

“Just don’t tell mom and dad, please Buff? Please?” Dawn whined as she scurried past the older, but shorter Buffy.

Dawn rushed into Buffy’s room, the owner right behind. Buffy slammed the bedroom door shut behind her; shaking the whole top floor of the Summers’ home.

“How many times,” Buffy began through gritted teeth. “How many times have I told you not to borrow my makeup; nail polish or hair care products?”

“Well?” Buffy repeated the question, her arms crossed over her heaving chest; an angry gleam in her green eyes.

“At least a million,” Dawn muttered sullenly. “But…..”

“No buts, Dawn,” Buffy mumbled, “this time mom and dad find out. They’ve told you, time and again…..”

“Oh, please, Buff, don’t tell them. I won’t do it again, promise,” Dawn whimpered.

Buffy could see little teardrops forming in Dawn’s bright blue eyes. Suddenly, the older sister felt like a complete bitch.

“Dawn,” Buffy sighed, “okay, I won’t tell mom and dad, this time. Just don’t do it again, kay? And I mean, not again!”

“You’re the best,” Dawn sighed in relief, to be off the hook once again. The tall, gangly pre-teen leapt up and hugged her idol tightly.

Buffy sat at her pink vanity table; going through her getting ready for bed routine. Dawn lay on Buffy’s pink comforter, watching her big sister work the cosmetic magic she did so well.

“Buffy,” Dawn began with a huge yawn, “why do you go out with Riley Finn?”

“Because,” Buffy mumbled as she rubbed lotion into the golden skin of her face. “Because I lo…..well, I like Riley,” Buffy finished with a scowl at her own reflection.

“Really,” Dawn mumbled under her breath. “You really like the no-neck poophead that is Riley Finn?” Dawn flipped off the bed, just in time, to avoid the loofa sponge Buffy threw at her that is.

“Now just where did you learn a term like ‘no-neck’ from missy?” Buffy asked her kid sister evenly.

“From no where,” Dawn replied meekly from the bedroom floor. She had strategically rolled into the little space between Buffy’s queen sized bed and the hot pink painted wall.

“Dawnie!” Buffy growled menacingly.

“Promise,” Dawn whimpered from her hiding place. “Let’s face it, Buff, Riley has no neck!”

“Are you sure that you didn’t hear that from…..” Buffy stopped short of using the name that should not be spoken (for some reason).

“Oh Buff,” Dawn sighed in exasperation. “I haven’t really spoken to William Giles since my eight birthday party. That was the last time I remember him being here.”

“Yeah, he’s been pretty scarce around here for years,” Buffy grumbled; her voice tinged with more then just a little resentment.

“But then, how come….” Buffy never finished the question. Dawn had shimmied out from behind the bed and stealthily made her way out of Buffy’s bedroom door.

“Night Buff!” Dawn called good-naturedly as she scampered off to her own bedroom.

“Brat,” Buffy mumbled under her breath. However, she smiled, warmly at the thought of her pain in the ass little sister.


Monday morning always came too early for Buffy; even though she supposed it came way too early for most everyone in the world. She staggered out of bed; hit the shower and then stumbled downstairs to the kitchen. Her mother always had a hot breakfast ready for them; Buffy, her dad and Dawn.

Today, Buffy noticed, it was oatmeal. ‘Oh, bloody joy,’ Buffy mumbled to herself as she flopped down at the kitchen table.

‘Wait a minute,’ Buffy gasped, audibly, ‘I just said bloody! Oh, God…..’

Buffy made it to first period homeroom, on time. She hadn’t slept most of the night, but not because she was particularly excited at the thought of the new school week.

No, Buffy had tossed and turned all night, thinking of that convo she’d had with Spike on Saturday night at the Bronze.

‘He remembered,’ Buffy thought in amazement as she went over Spike’s exact words. ‘Spike remembered the ugly dress; the swing on the avocado tree and our kiss. Wow!’

“Earth to Buffy,” Cordelia Chase griped sourly as she snapped her well manicured fingers in front of the blond girl's face. “Where are you?” The Homecoming Queen asked impatiently.

“Right here?” Buffy muttered in a breathy voice.

“Do you have those Trig notes for me?” Cordy asked gruffly. “They’re due today and…..

‘As if you give a rat’s ass about Trigonometry,’ Buffy snorted, even as she reached into her back pack and pulled out the notes for Cordy.

“See you at lunch,” Cordy stated with a snap of her gum.

Buffy slipped into her assigned seat in Trigonometry class and waved at Willow, her real, real best friend. The red-haired girl waved back and passed Buffy a note.

‘Hey, Buff,’ the note began: ‘Meet me at lunch, privately, kay? I want to discuss something with you and no one; I mean no one else can hear this!’ Luv Wills…

Buffy turned and grinned at Willow; nodding her agreement to meet on the sly.

The teacher, Wesley Pryce began his boring explanation of quadulants, etc., etc. Buffy had to shake her golden head, numerous times to keep awake.

‘Why in the name of merciful God do seniors have to take Trig?’ Buffy asked herself for the thousandth time in a week.

“Oh, class,” Mr. Pryce’s voice took on a sudden, excited manner. “We have a new student, well at least to ‘our’ classroom. Please welcome William Giles to…..”

“It’s Spike,” Spike corrected the arrogant Trig teacher. “I go by Spike,” he repeated cockily.

“Well, yes,” Wesley Pryce stammered, a bit shaken by this tough punk version of Rupert Giles’ oldest child. Rupert was the well respected librarian of Sunnydale High School and Wesley was not prepared for this uppity tough guy in front of him.

Spike scanned the room, to find his target; Buffy. He grinned at the blond beauty as he sauntered past her to take a seat in the back of the room.

When he passed Buffy, Spike gazed down at her and gave her a mischievous wink.

“Meet me after,” he whispered to Buffy as he lightly brushed her golden hair with his left hand.



Buffy smiled back at Spike, a slight pink blush on her cheeks. She could only nod, quickly at him as he quickly passed her desk; he allowed his fingers to brush the tendrils of hair.

All through Trigonometry, Buffy felt like she was being stared at, but she couldn’t be sure.

Every once in a while, Buffy turned, discreetly, to glance around and seek out whoever was watching her. She was more then disappointed when she caught Cordelia Chase scowling at her with disappointment, or was that a look of disgust?

When Buffy caught Willow’s soft gray eyes, she saw a giddy look of excitement in them. This warmed Buffy’s heart and she grinned at her best friend affectionately.

Spike was a bit too far out of Buffy’s range of sight, so she sighed, heavily, and tried to concentrate on Mr. Pryce’s lecture.

After class, Spike waited patiently for Buffy to exit the Trig class. He tried to hide the slight smirk on his mouth; Buffy was so clueless in mathematics. It was one of the things that endeared her so to him. Like all other math classes, Trig came naturally to Spike.

“Finally finished the pop quiz then?” Spike asked Buffy with a wicked chuckle when she finally emerged from the class.

“Yeah,” Buffy stammered bashfully. “Math isn’t one of my stellar classes, you know?”

“Maybe I could help you, eh?” Spike offered quickly, delighted when Buffy’s face grew pink with that adorable blush he loved.

“Yeah, maybe,” Buffy muttered under her breath. “Why now? In this class?” She suddenly blurted out, without really meaning to.

‘Because I’d move Heaven and Earth to be in this class with you, Princess,’ Spike replied inside his own head.

“Pryce is the best teacher for Trig,” Spike mumbled as he looked away from her. He could feel his own face heat up with a blush of his own.

“Oh,” Buffy whispered, her voice tinged in slight disappointment.

“Hey,” Buffy began, and then paused, her brows scrunched together. “I forgot to ask the other night; uhm, how’s your sister,” she whispered shyly. Drusilla was a touchy subject with the Giles’ family and Buffy had to look away from Spike when she asked.

“She’s okay,” Spike shrugged in a mock indifferent posture that Buffy knew was false. Spike adored his younger, somewhat ‘out there’ sister.

“Dru’s still goin’ to the Private Catholic School; they’re good to her there,” he mumbled in a low, pained tone.

“They better be good to her,” Buffy mumbled harshly, her green eyes narrowed into slits.

“Always so loyal, sweetling. To Drusilla, my family and…..” Spike murmured tenderly as he reached out to tuck that persistently stray lock of Buffy’s hair.


“Oh, I have to meet Willow for lunch!” Buffy gasped and pulled away quickly. She acted as if she was late for a world peace summit or a meeting with God; Spike was a bit put off.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Spike,” she called behind her as she scurried off to the cafeteria.

“That you will,” Spike chuckled in his deep, low voice. He watched the object of his adoration flee to the café; her sweet little arse wriggled in that tight little denim skirt of hers. “That you will,” he repeated happily looking forward to tomorrow and Trig class, for once.

“Why the privacy act?” Cordy snapped off the question at Buffy. “Why aren’t you and Willow sitting with the gang?”

Willow had taken a table in the corner of the cafeteria and waved Buffy over to it. Cordelia had joined them, all in a huff, to find out what the hell was going on.

“Just need to talk to Buff alone, Cordy,” Willow explained with a straight face. “About, you know,” Willow grinned over at the regular gang’s table. Xander Harris was at that table and everyone but everyone (except Xander of course) knew Willow adored him.

Buffy was well aware when her best friend, Willow Rosenberg, was telling a little white lie. Oh, Wills wanted to talk alone all right, but not about Xander Harris.

‘What are you up to Willow?’ Buffy wondered silently.

“Oh. You’d better put your eggs in another basket, Wills,” Cordy began snootily. “Xander is in lust with that new girl, Anya Jenkins. I don’t know why you don’t just give up on him and….”

“Its okay, Cordy,” Willow sighed dramatically. “I’ll just have to bide my time, again, and we’ll see.”

“Whatever,” Cordelia grunted as she spun around and strode back to their special table and her boyfriend, Angel.

“So, what’s this about Wills?” Buffy asked with a hushed giggle. “Why all the mystery?”

“That’s what I want to know from you, missy,” Willow whispered. “What’s up with you and Spike Giles?”

“Spike!” Buffy gasped and nearly spewed her milk out of her mouth.

“Spike,” Willow repeated with an evil grin.

“Oh Buffy, for Heaven’s sake; I saw it. You know, when Spike came into our Trig class? Buffy you lit up like a Christmas tree. I mean a really big, extra lit up Christmas tree!”

Willow gave Buffy that look of hers; the one that told the blond not to bother to try and bull shit her way out of this one.

“Well, maybe, but just because I was so surprised by Spike showing up in ‘our’ class and…..” Buffy’s voice trailed off as she realized that Willow just wasn’t buying any of this.

“You lit up,” Willow stubbornly stuck to her story. “You lit up,” the red head repeated softly.

“Spike watched you, you know? During the whole class,” Willow added with a smug, victorious grin.

“He stared at you; no, make that gazed at you like a lovesick puppy! Spike had that look in his eyes, honest and cross my heart. He looked as if he’d just die if he couldn’t gaze at you. Oh, Buffy, it was so romantic!”

“I tried to keep and eye on him; as he watched you during the entire lecture; and most of the pop quiz,” she continued knowingly.

”He finished before all of us and still, he pretended to be working on it. Just so…..” however, Buffy cut her off quickly.

“Wills, you read too many romance novels,” Buffy snorted; her cynics again reared its ugly head. Buffy tried to hide the pleased tone in her voice and the soft, gentle smile that graced her lips.

“Maybe,” Willow muttered; apparently still not convinced that there was no sparks between Buffy and Spike.

“Uhm, Buffy,” Willow stammered bashfully; her face had taken on the color of her hair. “I was wondering about…..Daniel Osbourne,” she mumbled under her breath.

“What? Who?” Buffy asked suspiciously, not sure if she heard Willow just right. “You mean Oz?” The blond stared at her friend with an open mouth and wide eyes.

“Oh, shit, Wills! You do mean Oz, don’t you?” Buffy began to laugh, merrily; somewhat relieved that the subject of Spike and her had been dropped, at least temporarily.

“Well, yeah,” Willow grumbled, her face now the color of red beets.

“What about your unrequited love for Xander Harris?” Buffy asked, toning down the laugh factor for a moment.

“That ship has definitely sailed, Buff,” Willow sighed. “Besides, like Cordelia said, Xand’s lusting after the new girl, Anya Jenkins. Oh, I don’t know,” Willow growled in frustration.

“So, Oz huh?” Buffy asked with a wicked little gleam in her green eyes. “Why so?”

“He’s kind of cute, don’t you think?” Willow asked; her gray eyes were wide and trusting in her best friend’s opinion.

“He is,” Buffy replied sincerely, “very cute indeed.”

“He’s nice too,” Willow added, suddenly becoming quite animated again. “You know, when Riley and Xander tried to kick the crap out of Spike? Oz and Jesse stepped in and…..”

“What!” Buffy nearly screeched at Willow’s confession.

“Oh, oh,” Willow groaned in misery as she sunk down in the seat she occupied. “I’ve gone and done it again.”

“Willow,” Buffy muttered; her green eyes were narrowed into slits and her teeth were clenched.

“Spill,” Buffy ordered the visibly shaken red-haired girl.

“Oh, Buffy,” Willow whimpered tearfully. “Its just that I promised Cordelia that…..”

“What did you promise Cordy, Willow?” Buffy whispered harshly as she leaned closer to her friend.

“I promised Cordy that I would never tell you the truth, about something that happened in the boys' locker room. It was well, about two months ago or so,” Willow mumbled reluctantly. Her delicate facial features were twisted, slightly, from her feelings of self-shame. Willow knew that what she was about to tell Buffy would hurt her, terribly.

Buffy leaned back in her chair and gave Willow that wary doe-eyed look of hers. Willow broke like a criminal suspect under interrogation hot-lights. The red head spilled her guts about everything she had learned from Cordy regarding the fateful day in PE.

“Spike, he told Riley to shut the bloody freak up and…..” Willow whispered as her gray eyes darted to and fro. She was checking to see if anyone in the café was trying to hear her confession or read her lips.

“Freak?” Buffy interjected with furrowed brows. “Spike Giles would never use a word like…..”

“Well, no, he used a more colorful word,” Willow paused to grin evilly. “Anyway, Spike stepped in and told Riley to shut up and that’s when it happened. Riley and Xander ganged up on Spike and kicked the crap out of him.”

Willow rambled on and on, never letting Buffy get in another word, for a while that is.

“Angel was there; he saw it and told Cordy who told me,” Willow added sheepishly. “The only reason I never told you was because I didn’t want you hurt or embarrassed anymore. It was Daniel, I mean Oz,” she blushed bright red again. “Him and Jesse jumped in and helped their friend Spike.”

“Well,” Buffy mumbled softly, “I guess that’s what Spike was talking about; the other night. He mentioned blokes being bitchy and gossipy too. Hmmm,” Buffy slumped back in her chair and sighed heavily.

“I just think it was all so, you know, romantic and chivalrous,” Willow continued in a dreamy voice. “I mean, for Spike to stand up for your honor and Oz and Jesse to stand up for their friend like that? It reminds me of something out of King Arthur and the Round Table, right?”

Willow gave Buffy an anxious look, then lowered her eyes to focus on the salt and pepper shakers on the table. She looked kind of ashamed and Buffy felt bad for her.

“Yeah,” Buffy snorted, “and they said chivalry was dead, eh?”

“Well….” Willow began, but Buffy interrupted her.

“Wills, can you keep a secret?” Buffy asked with a raised right brow.

“I don’t know, Buff,” Willow sighed and shook her red head. “Look how the last secret I was supposed to keep turned out and…..”

“I’m about through with Riley Finn,” Buffy spat, not bothering to hide the contempt in her voice. “I am,” she repeated with conviction, “and not just because of this little incident. Its just another strike against Riley; not the whole game.”

“Buffy,” Willow stammered nervously, “are you going to confront Riley about this?” Willow’s gray eyes were round as saucers by this time.

“No,” Buffy grunted as she leaned over and met her friend’s gaze with steely green eyes.

“If I confront Riley about this one? He’ll just blame it on Spike; accuse him of telling me. Riley will drag a couple of football jocks along this time; to finish the job of beating Spike to a pulp.

“No, Wills,” Buffy repeated, “I’m not going to confront Riley with this at all. When I’m done with Riley Finn? No one will be able to say its because of Spike at all, believe me.”


A/N: Well, I know it wasn’t a lot of Spuffy loving here. Don’t worry, that is coming, promise.

I wanted to make this chapter kind of a build up to Spuffy romance. I think, when you read the really, really romantic chapter I have in mind? The one that involves Spike climbing an oak tree in front of Buffy’s house and a special rope swing in her back yard! I think it might more then make up for this somewhat non-romantic chapter on Valentine’s Day!

Thank you for reading and please review, spufette.