Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading this story. Please review if you can.
HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA


Summary: Buffy says ‘goodnight’ to Spike! Then she says ‘goodbye’ to Riley.

Warning: The breakup is not going to go as easily as we might have hoped.


A/N: Thank you for reading this little fiction of mine. There is some violence in this chapter, just wanted to let you all know. Also, this story just might prove to be a bit more angst ridden then I first intended?

Thanks again.


Act II: Scene II; ‘Goodnight; Goodbye’



{Good-night; good-night. Parting is such sweet sorrow! That I shall say goodnight, til it be the morrow…..William Shakespeare from Romeo and Juliet}

Spike kissed Buffy with all of the pent up passion, for her, that he’d been carrying about for the last few years. It helped that she kissed him back, just as heatedly.

Once he tore his lips away from her sweet, wet mouth, Spike nibbled on her jaw line and neck. However, her lush little mouth just called his lips back to hers. Spike found his hungry mouth back at the starting point; Buffy’s plump little lips.

“Mmmm,” Buffy hummed in pleasure as Spike kissed, licked and nipped at her lips; mouth and tongue.

“Oh, Buffy,” Spike mumbled huskily just before he went back in for more of those delicious kisses of hers.

Buffy realized, quite pleasantly, that this was past being wooed; this was being kissed, really kissed. These kisses she and Spike were sharing were stuff that passionate legends were made of. Something like Romeo and Juliet may have shared together; in the brief moments of their too short lives.

‘Oh, my God! Romeo and Juliet! Star-crossed lovers? Death and destruction! Oh, shit!’ Buffy screamed inside her head. ‘I, we…..Spike and me! Can’t do this. Bad Buffy; you’re still officially with Riley! Good girlfriend Buffy and slut Buffy just don’t mix and…..’

Buffy literally yanked her lips from Spike’s. She reared back from the blond male, all the while chanting in her mind:

‘Step away from the incredibly hot bleached blond goth. Step away from the incredibly hot bleach blond goth! Do not pass Go and definitely do not collect $200.00.’


“Buffy, Princess, what is it?” Spike reached out to take her in his arms again. His blue eyes were filled with confusion now; well the lust was still there, technically, but desperate confusion seemed to be the overriding emotion by this time.

Before she could choke out her explanation, Spike pulled Buffy flush up to his body. He must have felt her shaking and trembling, because he immediately went into ‘protecto’ mode.

Spike stroked Buffy’s golden hair and held her tightly as he murmured softly into her warm little ear. It was a miracle, really that her uncovered ear was warm at all. This had to be the fucking coldest February in Southern California history.

“It’s okay, luv,” Spike murmured tenderly, trying his best to comfort the confused young woman in his arms. “I think I know what’s wrong. You’re feelin’ guilty, because of Captain Cardboard, yeah?”

Buffy pulled her head back from Spike’s cozy, comforting chest and ‘glared’ up into his blue eyes.

“Captain Cardboard, William? What happened to no-neck?” She couldn’t help the giggle that escaped from her mouth.

“Well, let’s be honest, kitten,” Spike chuckled roughly; he pressed his forehead to hers, gently. “Finn’s not the most lively or animated bloke in Sunnydale, eh?”

“No,” Buffy burst out into an infectious laugh. “Riley’s definitely not ‘that’ for sure. I can’t imagine what I’ve seen in him for two years,” she sighed; her tone was tinged with some regret.

“Me either,” Spike grumbled as he tightened his hold on ‘his’ golden girl.

“It’s true though,” Buffy sighed in frustration. “I just can’t officially be ‘tied’ to Riley and be kissing you, Will. Her green eyes looked so lost and sad that Spike felt like a real shit for even coming here tonight. Even though he had no idea it would end like this and all.

Okay, so he did have an inkling that it would be like this and all, but hey, he was a guy in love with Buffy Summers. What the bloody hell was he supposed to do? Wait around until his soul mate, Buffy, agreed to marry Finn the Moron? Keep his feelings hidden until she’d popped out two or three no-neck tots and…..

“I’m going to break up with Riley, tomorrow,” Buffy stammered, her ‘unsure’ self was quickly surfacing and Spike knew he had to ‘quell’ that and fast.

“I thought you said that you’d wait, until after the game and….” Spike began, carefully. In no way did he want to stop Buffy from kicking Riley Finn to the curb. That was for sure.

“I will wait until after,” she assured the guy that was holding onto her for dear life. “There’s a victory party, at Xander’s tomorrow night. I suppose you have no intention of going, right?” Buffy looked up at Spike, her right brow was raised and she could feel a slight grin form on her mouth.

“Hell no!” Spike hissed. “You think me and my mates are welcome anywhere ‘near’ Xander Harris’ house?”

“Didn’t think so,” Buffy giggled merrily, unable to resist the urge to kiss Spike’s cute chin, chastely of course.

“Besides,” he began shyly, “I promised me little sis, Dru, that’d take her to ‘The Crypt’ on the other side of town. She’s home from school, temporarily and….”

“You’re a good brother, Will,” Buffy murmured tenderly as tousled his slicked back hair with her right hand. “You’re a good man, too,” she added quietly; breaking their gaze and glancing up at the night sky again.

“Thanks, kitten,” Spike mumbled under his breath. He placed his finger underneath her chin and raised her lovely face up to meet his gaze once more.

“I thought I’d go to the party, about 9:00 or so and try to talk to Riley, privately,” Buffy sighed. “It’s not the best time, I’m sure, but I can’t wait any longer to be rid of him.”

“Me either,” Spike chuckled as he pulled her to him yet again. “Give us some more of those delectable little kisses, Princess and…..”

“Nope,” Buffy snorted, almost unladylike! “We need to cool it down, Mr. Giles,” she giggled at the disappointed look on her blond companion’s face.

“Ahh, Buffy, please…” Spike whined (he hoped charmingly). “Just another little kiss and I’ll…..”

“Nope, not gonna’ happen, Spike,” Buffy replied, her determination was evident, that was for sure; and she was somehow proud of herself.

“Let’s sit on the patio bench, over there,” Buffy pointed to the bench that sat in the shadows of the house. “Come on,” she sighed in what could only be described as frustration.

Spike let Buffy lead him, by the hand, to the bench and flopped down next to her. He made sure that their bodies touched in some way and he wrapped his left arm about her slim shoulders. It made him more then happy when she snuggled into his chest and sighed in contentment.

“I’d ask you inside, Spike, but…..” Buffy began, hesitating between each word.

“I know, sweetheart,” Spike sighed heavily, “your folks aren’t home. Wouldn’t be proper for a big bad bloke like me to be in your home, without Mum and Dad there to watch out for their treasure of a first born, yeah?”

He grinned down at her, delighted when her little mouth turned into a pout. Spike loved that adorable pout of Buffy’s.

“No, it’s not that, I mean ‘I’ don’t feel that my folks need to protect me from you, silly.” Buffy broke into a giggle and slapped at his chest, playfully.

“It’s just that I have this incredibly nosy neighbor,” she pointed to the big house on the right side of hers. “She’ll be banging on our door, first thing Sunday night when Mom and Dad get home from Frisco. Telling them that I had a wild party or something; the old battle axe exaggerates like there’s no tomorrow!”

Buffy ended her rant with a disgusted snort and leaned back into Spike’s arms and chest. She felt so amazingly ‘right’ in this position; as if she had been on a long trip away and finally realized she was home again.

Spike cuddled Buffy tighter into his body, trying to help keep her warm. This felt so bloody incredibly right; having his golden girl in his arms, at last. For the first time in, well forever, Spike felt like he was finally ‘home’ again.

They sat together; Spike and Buffy, in comfortable silence. Their bodies were snuggled together, to ward off the unforgiving chill of a California February night. Or maybe, it was so that they could experience the pleasure of each other’s bodies as they touched so intimately. After all, nothing was as sweet as the feeling of being safe and at home.

“Sunday, first thing, I’m gonna’ call you,” Spike whispered into her ear. “I wanna’ take you someplace, someplace special on Sunday afternoon. Is that okay then?”

They were gazing up at the sky, watching the stars twinkle from millions; billions of miles away.

“Yup,” Buffy replied simply, her answer was muffled into Spike’s hard but comforting chest.


Buffy drove her Mustang down the main highway of Sunnydale, California. It was past 8:30 PM on Saturday and she was headed to the ‘showdown’ with Riley at Xander’s house.

Miss Buffy Summers loved her little red Mustang; okay, she ‘liked’ it a lot, maybe even adored it.

“No one loves ‘things’ Summers,” she chided herself out loud as she maneuvered onto Xander’s street. “You love ‘people’ or pets even, but not cars,” she reminded herself as the fairly new car purred to a stop.

Hank and Joyce Summers had presented Buffy with the Mustang last Christmas. It had been a combination Christmas and early birthday gift from her family. Buffy suspected that her mother and father were simply tired of lending their SUV to her; for hauling around the cheer squad, etc.

In fact, it had been only just two weeks before, when Buffy had again had to borrow the SUV that the little ‘incident’ had occurred. Buffy had had a fender bender with a parked police car, of all things. This was the excuse she’d been using for two weeks to get out of spending too much time with Riley.

Now, however, it was time to face the music, so to speak and break it off with her large, somewhat overbearing boyfriend. Spike was a factor in this; yes, but not the only factor and Buffy just had to emphasize this to Riley.

Xander’s parents were out of town; they usually were and he was having a huge victory party for their Sunnydale basketball team. It was a good thing that Sunnydale did indeed win that afternoon, Buffy supposed.

Riley had, of course, scored the most points in the game; which was precisely why Buffy had chosen not to break up with him beforehand. She simply did not want it on her conscience, if her ‘bad news’ might upset or distract Riley in any way.

Buffy hurried up the brick walk of the Harris house; a woman with a mission. She was nervously trying to block out the loud revelry that was coming from inside, and outside, apparently.

“Hey, Buff,” one of Riley’s friends greeted her from the front porch. The guy had his arm draped about a random girl that sat with him on the porch swing. A suspect, but familiar sweet smokey odor wafted from the guy; Buffy remembered his name was Ted or something.

‘Who has a porch swing anymore?’ Buffy wondered briefly as she favored the couple with a false smile and slipped inside the front door. She had to find Riley, fast, and get the hell out of this place; the sweet sticky smoke was weed, no question. Buffy wasn’t up for ‘that’ tonight, especially since she came here to break up with her boyfriend of two years.

“Buff!” Xander’s deep voice greeted his best friend’s girl affectionately. Truth was; Xander had pursued Buffy before Riley did, but had stepped aside graciously when she chose the latter guy to date.

“Riley’s in the kitchen,” Xander offered quickly as he eyed Buffy’s hot little outfit.

Buffy had chosen to wear a tight pair of expensive jeans; topped off with a warm, red Marilyn Monroe sweater. Her designer leather jacket and black leather boots finished the ensemble; she’d opted to leave her hair down tonight.

“Thanks, Xand,” Buffy mumbled quickly; she waved at Anya Jenkins who hung onto Xander’s meaty arm. Without hesitation, Buffy strode into the kitchen, hoping that Riley was the only person in there.

He wasn’t.

Riley was holding court, in the Harris kitchen, surrounded by Graham; Angel and Cordy; Forrest; Samantha Simons (who was looking at Riley as if he were God) and Holden Webster.

‘Oh, perfect,’ Buffy sighed to herself in exasperation, ‘now I have to drag him away from his adoring public!’ The fact that Samantha was ogling Riley somehow eased Buffy’s chaotic mind. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad after all; especially if Sam was there to comfort Riley later?

“Baby!” Riley bellowed at the top of his lungs when he spied Buffy. “You’re here! Look guys, my baby is here!”

Buffy resisted the urge to throw up right then and there; opting instead to smile kindly at the entourage surrounding her soon to be ex. She noticed Sam had stopped smiling and appeared to be quite upset that Buffy had arrived.

“We need to talk, Riley,” Buffy murmured softly when Riley took her in his arms and slopped a wet, drunken kiss on her mouth. Apparently, Riley was buzzed on and his way to being smashed, at least from the look and sound of him.

“I’m sure there’s an empty bedroom around someplace!” Riley chuckled drunkenly; he waggled his dark brows at Buffy, suggestively.

“No, maybe outside,” Buffy whispered in reply. “We need to be alone, to talk, kay?”

“Sure, Buff,” Riley slurred indifferently. “Let’s go out in the front; too many drunks outside in the back.” He tossed his empty beer bottle in the nearby trash and clasped Buffy’s tiny hand in his.

After they wove their way out of the house and onto the front porch, Riley and Buffy sat on the now empty swing there. Buffy was relieved that the pot smoking couple had made their way back into the house, or somewhere else anyway.

Riley immediately began to paw at Buffy and try to place more sloppy kisses on her face and mouth. She pushed him away at the same time she pulled back from his grasping arms and hands.

“Please, Riley,” she gasped harshly, “I said we need to talk, not make out!”

“Sorry, baby,” Riley mumbled as he reluctantly sat back from her. “I can wait until later, for the fun,” he chuckled wickedly, but pouted as he did.

‘So not attractive on ‘you’ the pout that is,’ she thought briefly.

Buffy lowered her eyes to look at her clasped hands and took a deep breath. She nibbled at her bottom lip, nervously, and took another deep breath.

Finally…..

“Riley,” she began quietly, “I feel like this,” she pointed her finger at him, then herself. “I feel that ‘we’ aren’t working out well anymore. I, I really think it’s time for us to move on, from each other and…..”

“What the fuck are you talking about? Is this some kind of sick joke or something?” Riley roared, leaping up from the swing and roughly pulling Buffy with him.

“I just mean,” she stammered nervously, suddenly more then a little afraid to be alone with Riley.

Riley was breathing hard, gasping for breath, actually, and his face was bright red. His dark eyes were burning with rage and Buffy felt terror begin to flood her suddenly cold body.

“Riley,” Buffy rasped as she tried to pull her arm from his vice-like grasp. “Let me go!”

“Not gonna’ happen, babe,” Riley growled harshly and pulled her flush up against his huge frame.

“I want to break up,” Buffy whined, ashamed at the weakness in her tone. She was terrified by now and realized she had picked a very bad time to pull this.

“Well I don’t; and what I say goes,” Riley countered harshly. He clasped her little chin with his meaty right hand and yanked her head up so their eyes could meet.

With narrowed, angry eyes, Riley glared down into Buffy’s wide green orbs and growled, “it’s that fucking freak, Spike Giles; isn’t it?”

Riley looked as if he was going to wring her neck, but Buffy got the courage up to shake her head from side to side, quickly.

“No, Riley, it’s not Spike, or anyone else. It’s me, us,” she continued as evenly as she could. Her whole body was shaking, violently, but Buffy knew she couldn’t back down now. This had to be done and finished, tonight.

“It’s over, Riley,” Buffy spat venomously at the huge guy holding her. Riley’s Neanderthal behavior was pissing Buffy off now; forget her sensitive ‘nice gal’ mode. This was turning into war!

“Not over,” Riley growled childishly, “not over until I say it’s over! I love you, Buff….I,” he actually began to whimper, briefly.

Buffy felt like this was a good time to end this whole charade and get the hell out of Dodge! She pulled out of Riley’s grasp and began to back away from him, to the porch steps.

“Here, Riley, your ring and pin,” Buffy said evenly as she pulled the ring and pin out of her jacket pocket and tried to hand it to him.

That was when the large man spied the little golden chain and heart-shaped pendant on Buffy’s sleek neck. His dark eyes became even fierier; with jealousy.

“I didn’t give you that!” He screamed maniacally. Riley reached out and tried to rip the chain from Buffy’s neck.

“No, you didn’t,” Buffy yelled back as she clutched the necklace, protectively. “A ‘friend’ gave it to me, Riley,” she said coolly.

“A friend named Spike, maybe?” Riley asked, unnecessarily, through gritted teeth.

“I’m not going to lie to you,” Buffy began carefully; her words trailed off into silence.



Riley looked as if someone had stabbed him in the heart. His brown eyes were wide with anger and hurt; his mouth was open in shock. Buffy could swear she saw tiny tears in his eyes and felt a stab of guilt in her tummy.

“I should have kicked that little blond prick’s ass a long time ago,” Riley snarled. He slammed his right fist into his left open palm.

Buffy didn’t mention the fact that Riley had done just that. Two months before in a locker room full of…..

“I, I’m sorry Riley, really,” Buffy stammered softly; truly sincere in her regret. Just not for the breaking up reason; she should have done it ages ago.

“I love you,” Riley whispered defensively. “You love me and…..”

“I don’t love you Riley,” Buffy murmured sadly as she shook her head slowly. “I liked you, not loved you. I’m just sorry I wasted so much of your time and…..”

“No!” Riley roared, suddenly anything but sad or hurt. Now he was just pissed off, to the max.

The big man grabbed at Buffy, but she side-stepped him and turned to hurry down the porch steps. Riley, however, was faster and he managed to grab Buffy and spin her about to face him.

“This isn’t over!” Riley screamed at her, enraged again at this girl he proclaimed to love so much.

“Let me go, asshole!” Buffy retorted; realizing that they must have heard this, by now, inside the Harris house.

“Bitch; whore!” Riley roared again; then he did something that shocked the hell out of both of them. He slapped Buffy, open-handed, but hard, on her left cheek, almost knocking her to the ground.

Buffy caught herself, somehow, and just stood, staring at Riley in shock. In the two years they had dated, Riley had never laid a hand on Buffy in anger or violence of any kind. This just slayed her, completely; but she regained her senses quickly.


Without a second thought, Buffy doubled up her own right fist and punched her ex-boyfriend in the gut.

Riley doubled up and threw his arms across his stomach, but he didn’t fall back at all. Still, Buffy was pretty proud of herself; she was less then half the oaf’s size after all!

“What the fuck is going on out here?” Xander Harris bellowed from his front door. Xander flung the screen open and stormed out of the house, followed by Angel, Cordelia and Anya.

“Did he hit you?” Anya asked in disgust. “I saw him, from the window, Xander. Riley hit Buffy,” the brunette girl hissed.

“You don’t fucking hit a girl, Finn,” Angel growled at his good friend. “I should…..”

Angel didn’t finish, because Riley turned on him and shoved the older, larger man against the house.

“The little bitch is dumping me, Angel,” Riley hissed in explanation to the other stunned man. “She’s fucking around with that bleached blond freak, Giles and…..”

“I’m not fucking around with anyone,” Buffy cried. “Even if I do, eventually, it’s none of your damned business anymore Riley. Keep away from me and my family. Thanks for making this whole mess a little easier for me, Finn,” she added maliciously.

“I felt bad about it, before,” Buffy continued with venom. “Now I feel like somebody unlocked my chains and freed me!”

Riley just stood there, his now free hands were clenched into meaty fists. “Buffy,” he whined; his face was pale and he looked sick.

The other spectators just stood there; not sure what to do now. Xander finally reached out and grasped Riley by his arm, as if to hold him fast.

“Go home, Buff,” Xander ordered her quietly. “I’ll have Riley stay here for the night; he’ll be alright, in the morning….”

Buffy cut her friend off, quickly, “I don’t care what he does,” she spat in reply. “I know about old Riley’s locker room antics, and everything! He can fall off the face of the planet for all I care,” she added for good measure.

“Goodbye, Riley; forever,” Buffy called over her shoulder as she nearly ran down the steps and walkway.

“Be careful Buffy,” Cordelia cried to her ‘friend’ as the blond hopped into her Mustang and drove away.

Once Buffy had gotten to the main highway, she pulled over into a gas station lot and turned off the motor. Suddenly, she burst into tears and began to cry, uncontrollably.

“That asshole,” she sobbed into the steering wheel. “What an incredibly, vicious prick!”

The pain of the slap and hurtful words Riley had screamed at her were now coming back to light. Buffy was beyond hurt, now, she was pissed off completely.

Buffy must have sat there, in the empty lot for a good ten minutes before she finally composed herself. With tissue and make-up from her purse, Buffy managed to repair most of the damage she’d done with her crying. She covered up the rapidly bruising ‘slap’ mark with some powder and took a deep breath.

After she turned on the engine, Buffy pulled back out onto the highway and headed north on it.

Although she had never been to ‘The Crypt’ Buffy did know where it was. Her destination was clear to her; she had to see Spike, tonight and that was that.


A/N: This was a long chapter, I hope that’s okay? I actually wanted to write another Spike and Buffy interlude into this one, but felt I’d gone on long enough.

Oh, uhm, please forgive me for the somewhat ‘violent’ exchange between Riley and Buffy. I do not condone aggressive behavior; of course, it’s just that slugging Riley seemed like something Buffy might do??? (tee hee).

Thank you for reading this and please review. Writers love reviews, spufette.