Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you read this and like it!
Thanks, spufette
HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA


Act II; Scene IV ‘Courtly Love’
HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA



Summary: Spike and Buffy’s tryst is interrupted (don’t worry!) and they come to a decision, temporarily.

Spike does something incredibly old-fashioned. Will Buffy take it in the spirit it is given? Will she learn some past secrets of her own parents?

“Don’t even bloody think of answering that,” Spike rasped. His voice was tinged with the desperation of a wistful young lover. Which was what he was about to be, momentarily, if Buffy would only not answer that fucking phone on the kitchen wall.

Buffy pulled back from her would be lover and glared at the offensive telephone. That was when she noticed that the little green light that alerted you to voice mail seemed to be flashing angrily at her.

“Oh shit!” She exclaimed as she pulled completely away from Spike and nearly sprinted to the phone on the wall. However, she neglected to pick up the present call and allowed the machine to take over for her.

“Buffy,” Spike whimpered softly as he reached out to her.

“Oh crap,” Buffy spat when she checked the answering machine, only to find fifteen messages on it.

Riley’s remorseful voice blared out from the machine, causing Buffy to blush and Spike to curse.

“Buff, pick up please,” Riley’s faceless voice pleaded from the recording box. “I’m so fucking sorry, really,” he continued wearily. I never meant to…..”

“Just pick up the phone, or at least call me,” Finn slurred, obviously still feeling the effects of the beer consumption from earlier.

Buffy stood, her head hung down and shoulders slumped. It wasn’t so much that she felt sorry for Riley, perish the thought. Rather, she felt more ashamed for him.

“I have to get these,” she stammered nervously when Spike wrapped his arms about her naked waist and tummy. She was speaking of the answering machine messages of course and Spike nodded his head, barely brushing her lips with his.

“The messages, some of them could be from mom and dad,” she offered meekly.

Although there were two messages from her mother and father; one from a telemarketer; two from Willow; the majority were from Riley himself. Riley’s messages were pretty much the same “I’m sorry, baby” or “we need to talk, baby” etc., etc.



“Well,” Buffy stammered nervously, glancing at Spike who was now visibly enraged.

“That fucking git,” Spike growled, his hands clenched into fists as his sides. “I’m gonna’ tear him a new…..”

“No, please Spike, don’t,” Buffy whimpered desperately, suddenly aware that she was half naked in her own kitchen. After she threw her arms about her bare chest, she began to weep, quietly.

Spike suddenly felt like a complete fucking git himself and he took a step closer to Buffy, just to comfort her. This caused Buffy to cry even harder and she took three steps back away from him.

“I…..” she began, but then turned and ran out of the kitchen, presumably into the living room.

Of course, he followed right behind her.

Spike caught up with Buffy somewhere between the living room couch and the stairs to the second floor of the house. When he grabbed her, he made sure to catch her about the waist and not her sweet uh, uhm, bouncing titties. After all, William Giles had been raised a gentleman, hadn’t he?

“Let me go!” Buffy squealed between sobs.

“Not a good idea right now, pet,” Spike stated evenly in reply as he turned her to face him. He wrapped his long arms about her chilled slim shoulders and back and pulled her to his warmer body.

“Don’t cry, Princess,” he cooed softly, stroking her golden hair tenderly, “its okay, Spike’s here and I’ve got you. You don’t have to run from me, sweet, ever.”

“I can’t believe I’m standing here half naked with you, William,” Buffy choked out. “This is just going too fast, Will, too fast for me!”

“I, I don’t want you to think I’m like those other girls,” Buffy choked out, her sobs muffled into his black tee shirt. “You’ll think I’m like that nasty bitch Faith Evans, or…..”

Spike had heard enough so he placed his left index finger under her trembling chin. He pulled it, ever so gently up so their eyes could meet. The tears and look of fear in Buffy’s emerald green eyes nearly broke his heart.

“First off,” Spike began in that low, deep voice of his that Buffy loved so. “First off, you’re nothing like that nasty bitch Faith and you can consider that a compliment,” he murmured, tucking her stray lock behind her ear.

“But,” he continued with a deep sigh, “You are right about one thing; we are probably going too fast here.”

‘I can’t believe I just bloody said that!’ Spike emitted a low, derisive chuckle at his silent thought.

“You really believe that?” Buffy sniffled the question; her eyes were wide as saucers.

Spike ducked his head, briefly, then sighed again and replied, “No, don’t really believe it at all. But I know you do and that’s enough for me, sweetheart, honestly.”

Buffy shivered at William’s words; her whole body just shook all over. However, this time it wasn’t from the cold that was for sure.

“Thanks, Will,” she whispered as she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

“Look,” Spike said, careful not to look at Buffy’s lovely little bare breasts. “Why don’t I just stay here tonight, out here in the living room? I don’t like the idea of Finn maybe showing up here tonight, with your folks away and all and…..”

“Riley thinks my folks ‘are’ here, Will,” Buffy mumbled softly. “But I would like you to stay, out here of course,” she quickly added pointing at the couch.

Her little face was flushed a bright, pretty shade of pink that just melted Spike’s heart again. He grinned at her and kissed the tip of her funny little nose.

“Why don’t you go wash your pretty face and get your pjs on, sweetheart,” he suggested. “I’ll find your mum’s linen closet and get a set of sheets and blankets, yeah?”

Buffy smiled prettily at him and nodded her head; her arms still covered her bare breasts. “Pull out two sets of bedding Will,” she called back to him before bounding up the stairs to her bedroom.

“Two sets?” Spike asked a bit confused by her request.

“Yeah, I want to sleep out here too, on the love seat. You take the couch. Remember Will?” Buffy asked from her spot where she had stopped about midway up on the stairway.

“When we were kids and we’d play camping out in the back yard and all. Since it’s too cold to camp out in the backyard and well, since I have that nosy neighbor. I thought we could set up camp in here and relive old times!” Buffy finished with a little giggle.

Spike’s heart skipped three beats and then began to race into overdrive. Buffy had her back to him and was looking over her shoulder at him. She had never seemed so lovely before to Spike and he felt like singing, right there at the bottom of the Summers’ stairway.

“We can do that, Princess,” he murmured as he watched her nearly skip up the rest of the stairway to the top floor. “We can surely do that,” he repeated with a happy smile.

The next morning, bright and early, Buffy piled Spike into her Mustang and dropped him off at his house. Her nosy neighbor was none the wiser, especially since Spike had discreetly ducked down in the passenger seat of the car.

Before they got to the Giles’ home, the couple stopped for a quick breakfast at a Coffee All Star Café. What Spike and Buffy had not covered in conversation through the previous night, they more then made up for at the café?

Buffy needed to adjust to not being with Riley and then there was that other pesky problem. She would have to inform her folks that she was through with Riley Finn and they’d be seeing something of William Giles around again.

“I’ll call you tonight, Princess,” Spike informed Buffy as he slipped out of the car. “I want to take you out, to a nice place this week or weekend, yeah?”

“Okay,” Buffy replied shyly with another blush. “I’ll talk to you tonight then.”

As it turned out, Spike did indeed call her that evening, but she had not had time to discuss her breakup with Riley. At least with her mom and dad that is.

Buffy agreed to go for coffee with Spike on Wednesday and they would meet there. This, Buffy felt, gave her enough time to inform her family of her breakup with Riley. Not to mention her apparently blossoming relationship with Spike Giles.


Monday at school was relatively calm for Buffy, thank God. Riley had opted to stay away from school that day so she didn’t have to deal with that whole uncomfortable scene.

Spike had sought Buffy out, first thing Monday and insisted on walking her to every class. Even the ones they did not share together. If any of their close friends at school noticed this new closeness between Summers and Giles; they said nothing about it. Publicly that is.

Buffy had some cheerleading stuff to do after school; something she was not looking forward to at all. She had been pleasantly surprised when even Cordelia and Harmony did not harass her about the Riley breakup thingy.

Apparently Anya Jenkins had gone all over school that very day, telling everyone just what a prick Riley Finn really was and defending Buffy. Cordelia had mentioned how torn up Riley was about the whole thing, but Buffy would not be dissuaded. She merely replied with a sincere ‘good’ and left it at that.

The subject did not come up again during the cheerleading meeting and Buffy was grateful. After the meeting, Buffy packed up her school things and headed home in her Mustang. If she went just the speed limit, she’d make it in time for dinner with the family and that put off discussion with them.

As she pulled up in front of her house, Buffy could swear she saw Spike’s DeSoto headed away from it. He was near the opposite end of the block and Buffy fought the urge to follow after him.

‘What the heck was he doing here?’ She asked herself as she gingerly parked the car and headed into the house via the back door.

Dawn Summers sat on the kitchen counter top, her legs dangled down in front of her. The younger girl munched on an apple, apparently oblivious to the arrival of her older sister.

“Dawn,” Buffy stammered as she tossed her keys into the caddy catcher that sat in the kitchen nook. “Was Spike Giles here?”

“Umhmmmm,” Dawn mumbled between bites of the fugi apple in her hand.

“Okay Dawn Summers, spill it,” Buffy ordered impatiently; she fought the urge to tear the half eaten apple from her sister’s hand.

“Oh, alright,” Dawn grunted indifferently, or so it seemed. “Yeah, Spike ‘was’ here,” the dark haired girl continued with a shoulder shrug. “He talked to mom and dad and I wasn’t invited to hear,” Dawn finished with a childish pout.

“Why?” Buffy asked the air instead of the child who had hopped down from the counter and sauntered to the kitchen door.

“Beats me,” Dawn offered with a mischievous giggle. “Guess you’ll have to ask mom and dad, huh?” Dawn burst into peals of laughter and scampered out of the kitchen before Buffy could catch her.

“Brat!” Buffy growled after her sister. She took a deep breath and headed into the family den where she knew her mother and father would be.

Hank Summers sat on his favorite chair, a martini in his right hand and his head leaned back. Joyce Summers sat across from him on the camel colored leather divan; a glass of wine in her right hand. Only, she was leaned forward as if to hear everything her husband had to say.

“Mom, Dad,” Buffy called from the den door, “did Spike, I mean William Giles come to talk to you?”

“Yes,” Hank grunted simply as he took a quick sip of his martini.

“Oh,” Buffy mumbled under her breath. She stood in the door, backpack in hand, watching her parents with a leary eye.

“Honey, come sit down,” Joyce ordered quietly and reached out to her oldest daughter.

Buffy did as she was told after she dropped the backpack onto the floor next to the divan. She plopped down next to her mother and eyed her father, warily.

“William came to talk with dad and me,” Joyce began seriously; however the quick smile on her mouth gave away her secret mirth.

“About what?” Buffy asked in what she hoped was a non-chalant tone. ‘If he told them about Riley hitting me,’ she thought suddenly a bit pissed off, ‘I’ll…..’

Hank interrupted her silent inner conversation.

“William Giles came here to ask me something, Buffy,” her father replied in a somber tone.

Buffy didn’t miss the slight quirk of a smile that graced her dad’s handsome mouth. His brown eyes shone with some giddy emotion that Buffy couldn’t name.

“Well?” Buffy sighed as she leaned back into the divan and crossed her arms over her chest.

“William came to ask your dad if he could ‘court’ you, honey,” Joyce offered. “That was the word he used, wasn’t it Hank? Court?”

Buffy nearly leapt up from the divan; her eyes wide with shock. “How dare he do such a thing,” she screeched loudly. She glanced about the den, wildly looking for something to throw something at!

“Now wait a minute Buffy,” Hank began, “the young man just wanted to talk with your mom and I. I wouldn’t say he was really asking me permission to date you and all. He just…..”

“Has everyone forgotten that this is the 21st Century?” Buffy asked; her mouth agape. “He has no right to come here and…..”

This time Joyce Summers interrupted her daughter’s tirade.

“I don’t think he meant any harm or insult to you, honey,” Joyce began patiently. “So calm those 21st Century feminist feathers of yours down and listen for once. Frankly,” she continued with a chuckle, “I find it quite romantic in an old-fashioned sort of way.”

“Romantic?” Buffy grumbled. “Did Daddy make up a contract and offer my dowry tonight or…..”

“Now wait a minute kiddo.” Hank sat his drink down on the end table and eyed his eldest with a cool eye. “Let’s get something clear here. I told William, or Spike as he’s called now, that you see who you want to, socially that is. Your mother and I have no say in who you date, you know that. Spike Giles just wanted to lay his cards out on the table here. I’m with your mother in this. I feel it was a rather romantic gesture and speaks volumes about the kind of young man Spike is.”

Buffy slumped back down on the divan in defeat. Actually, she did think it was rather romantic, in an old-fashioned way, for Spike to come here and talk to her parents about seeing her socially.

“So,” Buffy began murmured, her eyes focused on her father, “you’re okay with Spike and me dating? I mean, let’s face it, he’s 180 degrees from Riley Finn and…..”

“Like I told William, well, uhm Spike,” Hank shrugged as he clasped the martini in his hand once again. “You are eighteen-years-old and quite capable of making these decisions for yourself. Besides Buffy,” her father hesitated, “it’s not like I ever really liked Riley Finn, you know?”

“Dad and I never much cared for Riley,” Joyce came to her husband’s rescue. “We always felt that Riley Finn was well, I don’t know how to put this; a bit full of…..”

“Shit,” Hank mumbled into his martini glass; his dark eyes again danced with merriment.

“Hank!” Joyce gasped in mock shock. “You shouldn’t talk that way in front of…..”

“I’m sure Buffy is fully aware how full of shit her ex-boyfriend is darling,” Hank chuckled.

“I see,” Buffy muttered in response. “So you don’t have a problem with Spike’s name; his panache for wearing black and that bleached blond hair of his?” She stared dead on into her dad’s eyes; noted the grin on his mouth that caused her to scowl, briefly.

“Oh that,” Hank grunted with a wave of his free hand, “everyone goes through that ‘rebel without a cause’ stage. I did; so did your mother.”

“Oh come on, you two?” Buffy hmphed with a roll of her large green eyes.

“Didn’t mom ever tell you how we really met?” Hank asked Buffy. The smirk on his mouth was almost, well, wicked Buffy thought.

“In college,” Buffy blurted quickly. “You guys met in college, right Mom?” She glanced, hopefully at her mother and was less then relieved when Joyce just shrugged her shoulders slightly.

“Well, we did meet while we were both attending Sunnydale University,” Hank began. “However, we didn’t actually meet on campus,” he continued mischievously.

“Mom?” Buffy looked at her mother, her idol, with wide green eyes. “Is this going to end well,” she asked the elder Summers’ woman.

“Probably not. Well it ended well for your dad and I, but the circumstances we met under weren’t really orthodox,” Joyce replied honestly.

Joyce leaned back against the divan seat and sipped her cabernet. She smiled, lovingly, at her husband of nearly twenty years.

“I think you’d better enlighten her dear,” Joyce stated with a mock toast to Hank.

“My pleasure,” Hank chuckled and actually blew his wife a kiss.

“Your mom was quite a hottie then; still is really,” Hank said sincerely. He broke out into a wide smile when both of his girls blushed in embarrassment.

“Mom wasn’t quite twenty, but I was over twenty-one when I worked in the Bronze. Yup, the Bronze was there, even in the eighties,” he grunted proudly.

“It wasn’t an underage club then, of course,” he continued, “but your mom found a way to sneak in. Word had it,” Hank whispered conspiratorially; he winked at Joyce and Buffy. “Word had it that she had the warmies (we called it that in the 80’s) for the drummer of the alternative band that played there.”

“I think I’m gonna’ hurl,” Buffy grumbled. She could feel herself turning green, but she held her own so her dad could finish the story.

“Your mom snuck in the club with, prepare yourself, Margaret Walsh. They were the hottest chicks in the place that night,” he sighed in pleasure, remembering the whole scene. “Actually, your mother was always the hottest chick and….”

“Dad, please,” Buffy muttered; her face was bright red in embarrassment.

“Well, your mother snuck in to meet the spike-haired drummer of the band and well, she…..” Hank’s voice trailed off. He seemed suddenly distant for some reason.

“Let me guess. The drummer turned out to be an ass; you, Daddy stepped in and saved the day. Mom fell instantly in love with you and the rest is Summers’ history…..”

It was Buffy’s turn to halt in the middle of her sentence. Her mother had stood up and flopped down onto her father’s lap. The older couple snuggled into each other and Buffy felt like she was an interloper. Someone that was spying on a very private; personal moment between two lovers.

“No,” Joyce whispered as she nuzzled Hank’s neck. “Actually, I did end up with the drummer of the band. Your dad ‘was’ the drummer of the band, honey.”

“No way,” Buffy gasped in disbelief.

“Way,” Hank and Joyce retorted gleefully. Their faces were alight with a secret joy that Buffy could only hope to someday attain.

“After we met,” he continued, “I settled down; settled in and asked your mom to marry me within six months. Then the rest of ‘that’ is Summers’ family history,” Hank finished smugly.

Buffy stood up, slowly and made her way to her father’s favorite easy chair. She leaned over and kissed her father on his forehead and her mother on her cheek.

“Thanks,” Buffy murmured softly before she turned and headed up the stairs to her room.

Buffy dialed Spike’s home phone number and prayed that he would answer. She was delighted when he did.

“Hello Princess,” Spike began tentively. He had been a bit unsure about his move to talk to Hank. Buffy could be high-spirited and he had been worried that…..

“You are amazing,” Buffy stated evenly before he could say another word.

“You’re not mad?” Spike asked carefully. “I wasn’t sure if I should ask your dad if…..”

“Not at all,” Buffy replied honestly. “That was an incredibly romantic thing to do and I’ll never forget it Will. Never.”

“So. It’s coffee on Wednesday then?” Spike asked in relief.

“Oh, it is definitely coffee on Wednesday,” Buffy replied evenly. “And if you like, it can be dinner and a movie on Friday.”


A/N: This chapter nearly kicked my ass for a lot of reasons. I truly hope it was worth the wait.

I also hope it did not offend any independent women. It wasn’t meant to. I just like to incorporate certain ‘William’ aspects of Spike’s character to the plot line.

Thank you, thank you for reading and please review, spufette.