Chapter 14 Hello, Goodbye

Los Angeles

Contentment. That was the best way to described how he felt as he gazed down lovingly at the small blonde at his side. She was there again… there to love, there to adore. There was nothing else he wanted out of life.

The sun was up and the leaves were everywhere. On the trees, scattered along the trail, floating around in the gentle breeze. And so many colors! Some were yellow, brown, red, green. They gave a satisfying crunch as they were stepped on.

“How long will you stay?” He asked the girl at his side.

“As long as you let me,” she smiled up at him and got on her tip-toes to kiss his cheek. His heart expanded with the giddiness she made him feel.

“That’ll be forever then, love,” he grinned, “are you ready for that?”

“I’m always ready for that,” she giggled, clinging tighter to his arm. “But what if you’re not ready for it?”

He growled playfully and swooped down to kiss her lips. He closed his eyes and lost himself as he tasted her strawberry lipgloss. She tasted sweet and her mouth was a fountain of sugar and candy as she parted her lips to allow him entry. He couldn’t get enough of her. He held on to her arms and slowly moved his hands until they were gripping her shoulders, cupping her face, winding in her hair.

“I love you, baby, you know that?” he murmured when he pulled away to take a breath.

“Yeah, I got that memo a while back,” she whispered, her breath tickling his skin. He lowered them once more to catch her lips. But this time, something was different.

For some reason, she wasn’t sweet anymore. Instead, she tasted bitter… bittersweet chocolate instead of the milky, creamy kind. Her lips weren’t soft anymore, they weren’t gentle. They ate at him, hungrily and he pulled back, confused.

The woman in front of him wasn’t his ball of sunshine. Instead, it was the dark-haired sorceress who was smiling at him disdainfully. He pushed her away and fell backwards.

“Where is she?” he snarled, shoving her aside when she moved forward.

“Over there,” the sorceress laughed, pointing further down the trail. He turned his head and saw his sunshine looking at him with sad eyes.

“Goldilocks, love, I’m coming for you,” he tried to run towards her but his feet couldn’t move. He looked down in horror and saw that they were tied down with thick, black vines that were coming from… he looked at the sorceress behind him and saw that she held a wand that was spouting out the wicked looking vines.

“You cannot go for her on my watch, my lovely prince,” the woman sneered at him and laughed again. His sunshine was disappearing down the trail and he shouted with all his might.

“NO! Let me go to her! Buffy, wait! Don’t leave me, don’t leave me!!”

Buffy didn’t hear him and Drusilla giggled, cruelly.

“Do you really want her when I can give you so much more?”




“NOO!!” Spike woke up, shouting. He leapt out of bed, sweating and panting.

………………

They were sitting silently in the apartment that Oz, Willow, and recently, Spike, shared. The Los Angeles weather was hot and humid and the fan rotating lazily on the ceiling was doing nothing to stop the heat.

“Christ, Osbourne, you’d think after living here for two years, you’d have invested in something like a sodding air conditioner.”

“Thought about it, but Willow said it was too much money.”

The three of them fell back in silence as the late afternoon humidity began to overwhelm them. They each had something on their mind and were trying to figure out how to let it out to their friends and fellow band-mates. A fly was buzzing around the room noisily and the water faucet in the kitchen had a leak.

Oz reclined on the old, yellow couch as Angel lounged in the sagging sofa with his feet propped up on the coffee table. Slowly, Spike rose from his seat beside Angel and began moving around restlessly. Oz and Angel focused their eyes on Spike as he paced the length of the living room.

“We need to find a new manager,” he announced suddenly, stopping to look at both Angel and Oz’s reactions. They continued staring at him mutely and Angel stuck a potato chip in his mouth and began munching on it loudly.

Spike furrowed his brows up in confusion. The truth was that he fully expected more of a reaction than … absolutely nothing. Maybe a protest or two or maybe even agreement.

“Well?” he prodded them further.

“Well, what?” Angel asked him. “It’s about time, isn’t it? We couldn’t stay with your insane girlfriend forever.”

“For the last time, you sodding git. She. is. not. my. girlfriend!” Spike threw his hands up in the air in frustration and resumed his pacing.

“And for the last time you bleached moron… Does she know this?” Angel asked, raising an eyebrow. Spike stopped mid-pace.

“Not… yet,” he confessed, sighing deeply.

Angel grinned at him and reached out to grab the phone that had somehow ended up lying stuck in between the sofa cushions.

“No time like the present,” he handed the phone to Spike. He took it from Angel and stared at it dumbly.

“I can’t do this over the phone!”

“Why not? You pretty much broke up with Buffy on a stage in front of hundreds of people. This should be a piece of cake.”

“What are you going on about? I did not!”

“You might as well have. What you did was just as bad,” Angel rolled his eyes at him. “If you could do what you did to Buffy, you can break it off with Drusilla over the phone.”

“Might be better,” Oz spoke up for the first time since Spike had announced a band meeting.

“How’s that?” Spike turned to face his red-headed friend. Oz shrugged.

“In case she tries to kill you. Distance might be a good thing.”

Spike screwed his face up and groaned into his hands.

“That crazy bitch would be mad enough to do that.”

Oz shrugged again and Angel looked on in amusement. He pointed to the phone in Spike’s hand.

“Call.”

“I’ll call tonight.”

“Or you could call now…”

“Bloody – “ Spike glared at him, “I’ll call her when I’m ready to call her.”

Angel just shook his head and Oz looked a little sympathetic. They shot each other a look just as Spike turned to look at them.

“What was that?” he asked the two of them, suspiciously.

“Well…” Angel started then stopped. He turned to Oz. “You tell him.”

“Rather not.”

“Fine.” Angel took his feet off of the table and leaned forward to rest his elbows on his knees. “See, Spike… “

“Out with it.”

“Well, ah, Oz and I got to thinking and we decided that it would be best if… you know… the whole band thing is still…” He looked at Oz again and pleaded with his eyes. Oz opened his mouth and thought for a little bit.

“We thought that it might be better for…” He looked at Angel and Angel continued.

“Well, for all of us, in general, if we, uh…”

He broke off again and grabbed another handful of potato chips. Oz started where he left off.

“You know… took a little…”

“Not a big one, just a little one.”

“Will you two get your sodding acts together and just spit it out!” Spike raised his voice, irritated with the two of them. They shared another look.

“We’re leaving the band after the album premieres.”


A/N: dun dun dunnn... wait until next chapter to see what Spike does...

Spike still hasn't fully comprehended how horrible he's being so i'm thinking you guys still hate him. He's going to have to go through some self-realization which will take place in the next few chapters that i think i'm going to write in a chunk so don't expect this to be updated in a while.

I'll give you this though... i think you'll like Spike and Buffy's next meeting...

Sorry, this chapter's a little short, but i liked how it kinda ended on a semi-cliff hanger.

thanks for the reviews! they make writing this so much more fun