Chapter 2

“Sorry about yesterday. Something, ah, something came up. I hope you didn’t wait around downstairs for too long.”

“I left when I heard more yelling…banging noises… Do you and William fight often?”

“Well, ‘all the time’ would be an understatement. We’ve always bickered and used each other as punching bags, it’s how we communicate.”

“Oh, but I can’t imagine William being so violent. I think he’s sweet.”

“You do?”

“Yes. Very, very sweet,” Drusilla admitted, a noticeable sparkle in her dark eyes. “And handsome… I’ve never seen anything like him. I could eat him all up.”

“You could eat him? Great, that’ll fuel all his future wet dreams,” Buffy mumbled, suddenly walking faster. “You really like William…?”

“Does he ever speak of me?”

“No. But,” Buffy sighed, continuing when Drusilla’s face fell, “I think he might have a crush on you.”

“A crush? On me? Really, Buffy? I can’t believe it!”

“Uh, neither can I…”

“What should I do? Should call him? Do you think he’d take me to the party at school?”

“You mean the dance?”

“Yes, yes,” Drusilla squealed, clapping her delicate, pale-skinned hands. “I will wear the most beautiful dress and feel like a princess!”

“I’m sure you will…”

“Buffy, if he chooses to go with me, will you come with us?”

“Um, let me think—no.”

“But--.”

“Dru, it’s a bad idea. A bad, bad, bad idea.”

“But my parents are strict and they won’t allow me to go by myself.”

“I-I don’t have a date.”

“I will find you one! Please, Buffy? For me?”

Buffy grimaced, knowing that if she went, it wouldn’t be because of Drusilla. “Let me think about it. Besides, ah, you haven’t asked him yet and--.”

“I will! I will call him tonight! Oh dear, I’m nervous already!” Drusilla exclaimed, pulling Buffy in for a crushing, one-sided hug.
***

As William waited, he struggled to find a comfortable spot on the sofa. He moved from the left cushion to the middle and back, until he decided to lounge across the entire piece of furniture.

“How long can one class be?” he grumbled, flipping through television channels. Finding nothing to grasp his attention, he tossed the remote and was about to pace the living room when Buffy opened the front door.

“Hello, pet,” he said, sinking back into the couch.

“Hey.”

“Did, ah, your class run a little late?”

“I guess so, but then I can’t say that I keep track of the time. Why? Were you waiting for me?”

“No,” he lied, shaking his head. He couldn’t believe how beautiful she looked, cheeks still pink from exercising, skin glowing from her muscles being stretched and sculpted. “How was it, your class?”

“Not nearly as exciting as my walk home.”

“Oh?”

“Yup, and I can’t wait to tell you all about it. Where are the parents?”

“Out. It’s their date night, remember?”

“Oh, yeah,” she nodded, unclipping her hair, causing blonde waves to fall at her shoulders. “Did they leave us money for food or are we fending for ourselves?”

William opened his mouth to respond, but became speechless when Buffy dropped her duffle bag and unzipped her sweatshirt jacket.

“Hey, don’t look at me like that! I’ve cardio-ed and aerobic-ized in this halter before. I just had to get out of that sweatshirt, it’s all covered in Dru. She’s a nice girl, but I don’t think she’s all there. You really picked a winner with her, William.”

“You’re all covered in what?”

“Drusilla hugged me. A lot. There was a lot of hugging.”

“Really?”

“God, keep your pants on. It was a friendly hug, uncomfortable, but friendly, you perv.”

When William remained stupefied, Buffy laughed out loud and rolled her eyes. “I’m going to take this stuff to the laundry room, okay? I’ll come back expecting answers about dinner. I’m starving. Working out always leaves me hungry and horny for some reason…”

“W-what?”

“Knew that would get a reaction. Where’d you zone out to, were you still in kinky Girl-on-Girl Land?”

“I was nowhere,” he answered, trying to gather his cool. “I’m just not feeling well.”

“Oh, that’s too bad.”
***

Returning, Buffy sat next to William on the sofa and hugged her legs to her chest. “What’s wrong?”

“I—are you wearing my t-shirt?”

“Do you mind? I didn’t have anything else to change into and it didn’t smell bad. It’s soft and really comfy, but if you want, I can head upstairs and--.”

“No, no. Wear it. Be my guest, pet. It looks great on you.”

“Uh…thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Hey, William?”

“Yeah?”

“Are you going to answer any of my questions tonight?”

“What do you mean?”

“Why are you feeling bad? What about food?”

“Oh, that. I have a headache,” he said, touching his fingers to his temple. “And food, well, they left cash for takeout.”

“So…it’s just the two of us?”

“I wouldn’t expect the parents to come back anytime soon.”

“Didn’t you originally have plans tonight?”

“Cancelled them, headache and all. But now, if you’d like, we could spend some time together…we could watch a movie, play a board game or, ah, do something else…”

“Something else? Like what?”

“Don’t know…” Clearing his throat, William scooted closer and causally wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “We could work on that promise I made you…”

“You want to have sex?”

“I didn’t say that, but…”

“I don’t think you have to. How much perfume did you douse yourself with, Will? I see why you have a headache.”

“Perfume—you mean my aftershave?”

“You shave? What? My grandma has more facial hair than you.”

“Buffy, if you don’t want to, just say it.”

“Did you set this up? How’d you get mom and Giles out of the house?”

“It was easy. Just paid ‘em off,” William grumbled, finding no reason to lie. “Gave them a free meal at a place with cheap drinks…which happens to be within walking distance of a hotel. Fed them both lines about the other feeling that they needed more romance…”

“And they bought that?”

“Yeah.” Sighing, he moved away, resting his hands in his lap. “Too bad I went to all that trouble for nothing.”

“Are you trying to guilt me into sleeping with you now?”

“No, I’m trying to give us a nice evening--.”

“Of sex.”

“No! Damn it, Buffy! Why are you being like this?”

“Because I need to know what it is that’s going on between us before she calls!”

“Before who calls?”

“Who else? Drusilla, dummy.”

“She’s going to call? Why?”

“So she can talk to you, so she can ask you out on a stupid date.”

“No…” William blinked, not believing his ears.

“Yes. She wants you to take her to the dance.”

“Seriously?”

“You think I could make this up? It must be your lucky week. First, you get laid; now, the girl you actually care about is showing some interest in you. And it’s not just a little interest, trust me, she really, really likes you.”

“My God…”

“And you know what the best part is? She wants me to come too.”

“Like as a-a threesome?” William croaked, supposing that anything could be possible after hearing that Drusilla had feelings for him.

“No! No way! God, is your head always in the gutter? She wants us to have a double date!”

“Oh…but why? Does she not want to be alone with me?”

“It’s her parents. They’re overprotective, I guess. According to Dru, they won’t let her near a boy without some kind of supervision.”

“So you’d supervise us?”

“Sounds a little strange, doesn’t it?”

“Oh, more than just a little.”

“No matter how strange it’ll be; I’ll go if you ask me to.”

William turned his head, startled when her voice grew quiet and serious. Their eyes met for only a second until Buffy looked away.

“Now do you understand?” she continued. “Whether you made that promise or not, we shouldn’t do it again because of her.”

“But what about us, me and you, pet?”

“That’ll be up to you.”

“So, you’re saying that I should choose?”

“No, I’m saying that you have to choose.”

“But I don’t know Drusilla very well, not at all really. We may have nothing in common…we might not get along…”

“All that we have in common is our parents. We don’t get along. We’ve lived under the same roof for years and know pretty much nothing about each other.”

“That’s not what you said yesterday, love.”

Buffy closed her eyes, letting out a slight whimper in reaction to the term of endearment. “I’m trying to be a good person here. I want to do the right thing and you should too.”

“But, Buffy,” William swallowed, not sure what to say. As much as he wanted to give Drusilla a chance, he wasn’t so sure he wanted to end what he could have with Buffy. What they’d shared the day before had been abrupt, impulsive, and brash, but Buffy hadn’t been out of his thoughts since.

“William, you know what you need to do.”

“Yeah,” he responded, leaning closer, drawn to her like a moth to a dangerous flame.

“Will—what are you doing?”

“I just, God,” he paused, running a curved finger along her cheek, “have you always been this beautiful?”

Her mouth opened in a small o-shape, a strained noise escaped from the back of her throat.

“It’s like my eyes were opened for the first time yesterday. What a difference a day makes, right?”

“Uh, I’m thinking it’s more like what a difference sex makes, or um, it-it might be my hair,” she suggested, bashfully tucking strands behind her ears. “I spent all my allowance on this new cream rinse…”

“I bet that’s it. It’s your hair,” he smiled, lowering his head to kiss her lips. It was a gentle kiss that Buffy seemed more than willing to return. Staying on their separate cushions of the couch, they lazily enjoyed tasting each other’s mouths.

“Oh, my God,” Buffy breathed, welcoming William closer by placing a hand on each side of his waist. “How did you learn to kiss like that?”

“Ah, you could call me natural.”

“I could, but no.”

“Cute,” William said, laughing as he pulled her against his chest. “So, what’s your excuse then?”

“Are you saying that I’m a good kisser?”

“I am. You gonna make a fuss over it?”

“No, no. I’m just not used to this. We’re giving each over compliments instead of insults.”

“Kisses instead of punches…”

“It’s so weird.”

“I don’t know, I kinda like it,” he admitted softly.

Buffy searched his eyes and bit her lower lip. He knew she was struggling to say something, but the telephone rang, causing them both to jump.

“God, you should get that,” she said. She was frowning, as if the telephone had suddenly reminded her about Drusilla and the dance. “I’ll leave you alone. I’ll-I’ll go get dinner. Is fast food okay with you?”

“Buffy, wait--.”

“No.” She left the room and returned to toss the phone to William from the doorway. “I’ll be back in twenty minutes. I have my cell.”

“Buffy…”

“Answer the freaking phone, William!”
***