Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks again to those following this story. One of these days I'll remember to keep note of all your names so I can thank you properly. But for now, well, you know who you are! Thanks.
15. Bronzing It

For perhaps the thousandth time that day, Buffy was second-guessing herself. Tara had made the original suggestion, and Buffy had thought it over for a week before putting her plan in action. Buffy and her friends were going to be out at a club, and she had invited Spike to drop by casually, as if it were a coincidence. That way she would have a chance to see how well he got along with her friends without any pressure. If things went badly, Spike could simply leave.

She couldn’t remember feeling so nervous since this whole thing had begun; that first night Spike had picked her up in the Limo. Perhaps that wasn’t the best thought – that night hadn’t gone exactly to plan, in fact nothing about their ‘relationship’ had gone according to plan. Obviously the evening was bound to turn into a huge disaster one way or another. She just didn’t know how yet. The universe seemed to take a perverse delight in smashing her plans to pieces.

Buffy had been surprised a few years back when a club calling itself The Bronze had opened in LA. It was almost exactly like the one she remembered from Sunnydale, from the catwalk and the sleazy upper level where couples went to make out, down to the homegrown and rough and ready quality of the live entertainment. Going to the club now felt a bit like turning back the clock. Especially when she planned on meeting Xander, Willow and Oz there, like she did tonight. Only difference was that tonight Xander would be with his new fiancée, Anya, instead of Cordy. And of course they would all be meeting Spike for the first time.

Willow had been against the idea, because she knew how Buffy and Spike had started their relationship, and Xander was against it just on principle. But Oz had no preconceived ideas (even though he worked for the Agency, he didn’t know about Spike), and of course Anya would also be more than willing to give Buffy her unvarnished opinion of Spike. Probably right to his face, too. Anya just wasn’t shy about the things most people were – perhaps because of the life she had led.

Sometimes she wasn’t too sure if Xander and Anya were really going to make it. They didn’t seem to have the same kind of chemistry that Willow and Oz had. Those two she could totally see in a house in the country surrounded by annoying grandbabies. Even if it was a house in the suburbs of Cleveland.

“Hey.”

“Hey Oz. Willow. How’s things?”

“Can’t complain, ‘cause you wouldn’t listen anyway. Besides, it’s Saturday. Always a day for celebration.”

Some people just didn’t get Oz, but Buffy totally did. And he was totally into Willow. Which worked out well, because Buffy knew that Willow was totally into Oz. Of course Willow was clueless. Until this latest rift about quitting work Buffy had been sure that Oz was thinking about popping the question and Buffy feared she would be stuck with yet another hideous bridesmaid dress. Sometimes she just wished that Xander and Anya would decide to elope. It wasn’t that she didn’t love her friends. Its just that she was so tired of endless discussions of the details. Especially since Anya would ask for her opinion, and then ignore her advice.

Even though it was Saturday night, Xander still looked frazzled as he led Anya to the table. The cause of his distress was immediately obvious. Anya had brought a wedding planning book with her to the Bronze. The woman was obsessed!

“Hi, Buffy.” Anya said brightly completely unaware of her intended’s mood. “I need to ask your opinion. Do you think we should have a wedding cake and a groom’s cake, or is that just too much? Because the wedding planner says we should have both, but I just don’t know. It seems like an awful lot of money for just cake, and a second cake at that. Do you think that Xander deserves a cake of his own? And I hate to waste money, but I want to do what’s traditional. What do you think?”

“I think you’re totally right, Anya.” If it didn’t matter what she said, she may as well agree with her friend. “Those caterers want too much money for cake. But maybe if you wanted you could buy some Twinkies or something and kind of put them together with frosting and call that your groom’s cake.”

“No, Buffy no!” Willow had finally arrived. “Don’t even say it in jest! Anya will totally take you seriously and then what? The wedding will be all tacky and awful and it will be all your fault!”

“Doesn’t sound so awful to me,” Xander bravely offered his opinion. For the most part he was learning to keep his mouth shut, but every once in a while he forgot that he was supposed to be a disinterested party, even if it was his wedding. It was hard for him to understand that although Anya kept asking his opinion on things she really didn’t want his input.

“Yeah, like what’s the worst that would happen? You forget to freeze a piece of groom’s cake and find it under your bed a year later, and it’s like totally fine. What’s wrong with that?” Oz had no such compunctions about getting involved. He hadn’t spent nearly as much time around Anya as the others and didn’t realize that he was stepping into a virtual minefield. Besides, he seemed to enjoy getting the girls riled up.

“Daniel Osbourne, you are a genius.” Anya almost looked as if she were going to kiss him, but settled for a giving him a hug instead. “If I wasn’t already engaged to Xander, I think I might want to be married to you instead. That is, if I was looking for a man with a large brain instead of a large…”

Quickly Xander put his hand over his bride’s mouth. “Maybe we men folk should go play pool for a while. Let the ladies work on the wedding plans without us.”

“Sure thing.” Oz agreed moving away from the girls and towards the pool tables. “Though I don’t understand why you stopped her. Seems like she was about to say something complimentary.”

“Trust me on this. Once Anya gets started talking about her favorite subject she doesn’t stop. That’s why I put up with all the discussion about the wedding. Keeps her from blurting out other inappropriate details.”

“Really? I’ll have to spend more time around you guys. Maybe Anya could give me and Willow some pointers. Never can be too rich or too thin. Or at least that’s how the saying goes. Of course it’s not really true. I mean, yeah, I agree with the rich part – but too thin – that one is definitely doable.”

“I know why you and Anya could never get married, Oz.” Xander replied while he began racking up the balls. “The two of you’d each talk the other to death. And here I used to think you were the quiet guy.”

“I am. Sometimes. Just now is not one of those times. Guess I’m a little hyped up.” Oz took the cue and broke the balls. “All this talk of weddings and I’m starting to think me and Willow might be next. Either that or I’m gonna pick up and move to Cleveland. Or both. I’m kinda thinking I’ll wait a bit and see how things go with you two first.”

“Really?” In the excitement of Oz’s mention of another possible wedding, Xander completely dismissed his friend’s offhand reference to Cleveland. “That’d be great man! Congratulations!”

“I haven’t decided yet. Like I said, I’m just trying to examine all the angles.” With that he sunk the eight ball and won the game. Oz looked back at the girls chatting happily at the table with their drinks and pouring over the wedding book. He tried to imagine what Willow would look like as a bride, but just gave it up. He’d have to wait and see.

~~**~~

Buffy was trying to be enthusiastic. Really, she was. But it wasn’t her wedding they were talking about, and she wasn’t sure that she would care that much even if it were. Stifling a yawn, she tried to excuse herself to get another round of drinks.

“I’ll go, Buffy.” Anya said unexpectedly. “I want to see if I can get close enough to the guys to hear what they’re talking about. I think they’re planning Xander’s bachelor party, and I want to have some say. If they’re going to go and hire strippers or something, I want to make sure that they know who to go to.”

Trust Anya to have both an ulterior motive and a sleazy thing to say. At least it gave Willow and Buffy a respite from the wedding talk. Now they could talk about Buffy’s date, who had yet to arrive.

“So, tell me some more about Spike, Buffy. All I’ve heard is Xander’s assessment, and I know that he’s biased against Spike. Not that I’m not. I mean, well, you know what I mean. I know the real reason why you’re seeing him. What I don’t know is why you are bringing him here, to meet us? What’s going on with you, Buffy?”

“It was Tara’s idea. She said…”

“Tara? You mean Tara from work? Why would she suggest…?”

“You’re never gonna believe this, Willow. She and Spike are friends, and have been for like years. I think she agrees with me that there’s something fishy behind this whole investigation, and I know she agrees with me that Spike is totally innocent. Both my mom and Tara think he’s a really good guy, and I want you to meet him so I can get your opinion too. We can’t all be wrong, can we?”

“I suppose, if you say so, Buffy. But you know Giles and his ‘smoke and fire’ speech. I mean if Spike’s really such a great guy and everything, why the big covert operation?”

“I don’t know, Willow. Not to fight one cliché with another, but just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they really aren’t out to get you.”

“You think he’s being set up?”

“I think it’s possible. A man that rich has got to have made some enemies along the way. There are some pretty evil people out there. Trust me on this Willow. I met two of them last week in New York, and believe me, that pair is capable of anything.”

“Who?”

“Angelus O’Connor and Drusilla Thorndale. Spike’s ex-wife and her new flame.”

“Buffy, why haven’t you told me about this? I’m your best friend, you’re supposed to tell me everything.”

“I tried, Will. But you were all undone about Oz and this Cleveland bit. At least it seems like that is one crisis that has passed.” Over Willow’s shoulder Buffy noticed Spike’s distinctive blonde hair coming towards them through the crowd. “He’s here. Act like you don’t see him and let him find us.”

“Act like I don’t see him? Buffy, I don’t see him. I don’t even know him, except from his picture… which he looks way better than.” Without warning one of the hottest looking guys Willow had ever seen was standing at by their table. Far more attractive in person than he was in his file picture. But then those weren’t meant to be flattering.

Tentatively she held out her hand. “Hi, I’m Willow Rosenberg, you must be William Thorndale.”

“Please, call me Spike, almost everyone does. I’m pleased to meet you, Willow.”

Willow was stunned when he greeted Buffy with a kiss on the cheek and casually made himself at home sliding into the chair Anya had only recently vacated.

“I’d like to say Buffy has told me a lot about you, but it’d be a lie. Your name hasn’t really come up much.”

Willow wasn’t sure how to respond to that one. The blunt statement sounded like something Anya would say.

“Except that I know you’re good mates and all,” Spike continued. You and that Xander fellow. Don’t think he likes me much, so I’m hoping you’ll be the push over. There’s supposed to be a few more people you wanted me to meet, aren’t there kitten?”

“Yes, Willow’s boyfriend Oz, Xander and his fiancé, Anya.” Buffy gestured helplessly. “They’re all here somewhere.”

Pushing her way through the crowds, sans any drinks, Anya was slowly making her way back to the table. “I’m back, Buffy, Willow. The boys weren’t planning the bachelor party, they were planning something much more exciting. I’ll tell you about it later. Is this the guy you wanted us all to meet?”

All Anya could see at the moment was the back of a blonde head where the man in question was sitting in what had been her seat and talking to her friends.

“Spike,” Buffy pulled on his arm, forcing him to turn around in his chair. “Come meet Xander’s fiancé, Anya.”

“Pleased to meet you…” recognition and another emotion that Buffy couldn’t name flashed in his eyes. “Anyanka?”

“Spike!” In contrast, Anya’s eyes were almost as easy to read as the tone of her voice and the words out of her mouth. Buffy hadn’t seen them sparkle like that since the last time Anya had shown off her engagement ring. “It’s been ages since I last saw you!” She gave Spike an even more enthusiastic hug than the one she’d given Oz earlier. “How have you been?”

“I’m good pet.”

Just a few steps behind her, Xander was making his way over to the table. “Wait a minute,” he interrupted, looking from his fiancée to Spike and back again. “I take it that you two know each other?”

“Of course we don’t.” Anya had her hands on her hips – never a good sign. “I don’t just run up and hug total strangers.”

For a girl who was usually so frank, it took Xander a moment to catch on to the sarcasm in her voice. So he could perhaps be forgiven if a barely whispered “Not anymore, you don’t,” escaped his lips before he had time to call it back.

Nevertheless, it was totally lost on Anya, who was still talking. “I’ve known Spike longer than I’ve known you, Xander.”

Spike was praying that she would leave it at that. What the whelp didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him. But of course both men knew Anya too well for that. She would never keep quiet when there was something awkward that had been left unsaid.

“Spike was, like, my best client ever."


______

I left lots and lots of hints. Did you guys toally see that coming or not? Please review, it makes me write faster.