Chapter 28: Please tell me you didn’t just say that

Of course Buffy would take a statement like that the wrong way. What had she been thinking to make a statement like that? ‘Spike’s really good in bed!’ indeed.

“It’s not what you think. I mean, it is, but it’s not.” This wasn’t making a heck of a lot of sense to Buffy. Either something illicit was going on here, or it wasn’t. She really, really hoped that it wasn’t. “That is, it’s not that I’d know. Personally, I mean.”

The girl’s face was turning crimson, and she was twirling her long hair in her fingers. “But all Glory’s girls agreed, so I guess it’s true.” She sighed theatrically. “You know, sometimes I really wish we’d done it. I lie awake at night thinking about it sometimes. I mean, why not learn from the best, right? And he’s so dreamy. And sweet. Really sweet.” Her eyes took on the faraway expression of a woman in love, or in this case, a teenager with a crush. “I don’t really get why you need to make such a big deal about it. It’s only sex.”

Although she’d said plenty, the girl had yet to answer Buffy’s question. “So, I’m taking from that little hymn of praise that Spike is not your older half brother or something equally mundane. And I am SO not liking what I’ve heard so far.” Who the hell was this…child, who was apparently living in Spike’s house, and SO not his sister?

“Sorry.” She held out her hand then, like she had just remembered something that she had been taught. “I’m so pleased to meet you. My name is Dawn. I live in the pool house.”

Buffy tentatively shook the girl’s hand and introduced herself. “I’m Buffy. But you already know that.” She needed to make a friend of this girl. Needed to get her to confide in her. “Can you tell me just why you live in the pool house, Dawn?”

“Oh, Spike didn’t want me in the big house. At first he said I was too distracting to have so nearby. I think he was afraid that something might happen between us, even though he told me that it never would. I think that when I sneaked into his bedroom that one time I really freaked him out. I mean, at first I didn’t think that he really meant it, you know? Like maybe it was just a game he wanted to play or something. I mean, what kind of guy shells out that kinda money and then doesn’t take advantage? Not like I didn’t know the score.”

The kid barely paused for a breath, and there was no way Buffy could get a word in edgewise, stunned as she was by what was coming out of the teen’s mouth.

“But since you came along, we’ve reached a new understanding; he’s had to come up with other excuses. Like the fact that I might get in the way, by which I think he means I might overhear you two having sex, assuming you ever do have sex, that is. Like I never heard two people doing it before! Still, I know he’s suffering, and I offered to take the edge off, if you know what I mean, but he still said no.” She pouted, but then brightened as if amused by her own thoughts.

“I don’t think that he really wanted for us to meet, you know? Last time he had you over I was on a band trip with school, and tonight I was supposed to be over at Janice’s, only we had a fight, and I walked home. Anyway Spike’s really stuck on you, which is kinda bad if you don’t feel the same way. You will come around eventually, won’t you? I mean, you’re not gay or anything, are you? I mean, if you don’t want him, well, I’m still here and available, so good for me, but I know he’d really, really rather have you. Being second choice isn’t as much fun as I’d hoped it would be.”

With every damning word out of the girl’s mouth, Buffy became more and more stunned. And the kid had spouted a hell of a lot of words. But things still weren’t clear.

What the hell was going on? Who exactly was this obviously underage girl, who blatantly admitted that she wanted to find herself in Spike’s bed? God, she was young enough to be his daughter for crissakes! But she had admitted that nothing had actually happened, hadn’t she?

“Still not answering the question, Dawn.”

The shock was beginning to wear off and Buffy was getting angry. At herself mostly, for thinking of Spike like a human being rather than a criminal. Of course criminals did disgusting and immoral things. Even to young girls.

Thinking of the murders he’d been implicated in, and the journal entry she had not yet had time to read, and the pictures she had seen, she revised that thought. Especially to young girls.

A new thought occurred to her and chilled her to the bone. God, was he intending to murder Dawn? Rape certainly seemed out of the question, since the girl was obviously willing, but still it would be statutory rape nonetheless. It was time to get to the bottom of this.

Her job, the investigation of murders over twenty years old, seemed to pale in comparison. This was happening right now, in this very house, to the girl who was standing right in front of her. Although she was conflicted about the evidence linking Spike to past crimes, there would be no hesitation at all on her part if she once discovered that he had done anything to hurt Dawn. In fact, as she saw it, there was very little choice even if he hadn’t. The girl was obviously no relation to him; she couldn’t stay alone in his house. It wasn’t right. She’d either take the girl home to her mother, or find some other arrangement. Now that she knew about the situation, there was nothing else that she could do.

A/N: Thanks for all your reviews. I am so thrilled that you are enjoying this. Will post more soon. P.S. Am kinda thrilled that you all didn't assume the worst of Spike after the last chapter. I was worried I'd get flamed.