Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi everyone. Thanks so much to those who have read and reviewed this story. I really appreciate all the support I've received. I hope you enjoy.
Chapter Ten

Buffy was a little apprehensive as she slid into the car when Spike picked her up for school the next morning.

“’Morning,” she said chirpily, hoping to relieve the tension.

“’Morning pet,” he replied. He gave her a quick smile, but it looked just as forced as her own cheerful mood.

The drive to school was made in uncomfortable silence. As with yesterday morning, once they’d parked neither moved to get out of the car. Buffy found it hard to believe that just 24 hours ago nobody knew about their ‘change’ yet. How could their lives have altered so drastically in such a short time?

Realising that if someone didn’t say something soon they’d end up late for homeroom, Buffy swallowed heavily and spoke. “Angel asked me out on a date. We’re going to have dinner tonight.”

Spike’s jaw clenched and he took a deep breath. “Dru and I are going out tonight too.”

Again silence fell.

Finally Buffy turned to look at him directly, though when she spoke her voice was barely audible. “I won’t lie to you Spike. I didn’t like seeing you with her.”

A rush of breath left Spike as he seemed to deflate before her eyes. “I bloody well hated seeing you with him. They way he was looking at you, putting his hands on you.”

Buffy tucked her hair behind her ear, a little embarrassed. “Nothing much happened. We kissed but…that’s all.”

A sudden memory of Dru’s hands on his crotch while he kneaded her breast, the small confines of the car filled with the sounds of their heavy breathing, flashed through Spike’s mind. “Yeah, same here,” he choked out. Buffy sighed, visibly relieved by his words and he felt guilt flood him for misleading her.

She placed a hand over his. “I don’t want there to be weirdness between us.”

Spike nodded his agreement. “I guess this is the part where we learn the fine art of sharing then?”

Buffy laughed. “I guess so.” She grabbed her bag and began to get out of the car. “Something tells me this lesson will be harder than when Willow wanted to play with my favourite Barbie Doll.”

**********

When Buffy walked into her house at precisely 10 o’clock that night only one thought was occupying her mind. It has got to get better than this.

The night had started out okay. Angel had shown up on time, complimented her on how she looked and been polite to her mother. He’d taken her to a cosy Italian restaurant where they’d enjoyed an excellent meal. All in all it was a very nice date, except for…well…the company. When Angel wasn’t leering and making sexual innuendos he dominated the conversation. He’d talked about football and how popular he was at school and how many girls were after him and the great party he was planning to have next time his parents went out of town. Buffy tried to appear interested in what he was saying but found her mind wandering once she realised she wouldn’t have a chance to contribute much. Plus he was rude to the waiter.

By the time he suggested they take a drive to this great lookout he knew about where you could see out over the whole town, a lookout which Buffy knew also happened to be the local make-out spot, she’d pointed out how late it was getting and told him it was probably best if he took her home. “Oh yeah. My Mom is really strict about curfews,” she lied. “I don’t want to get grounded.”

When she did finally make it into the house, after managing to evade Angel’s aggressive lips almost entirely, and saw the light on in the kitchen she wandered that way. Her mother was sitting at the kitchen table hunched over a stack of paperwork, obviously trying very hard to look like she wasn’t waiting up for Buffy.

“Hi Mom.”

Looking up Joyce smiled excited, all pretence forgotten. “Hey sweetie. How was your big date?”

Buffy just stood there with her mouth open for a minute before finally blurting out, “He was rude to the waiter.”

Joyce cringed, rolling her eyes dramatically, and got up from the table. “That alone pretty much says it all. Come on, I’ll make you a hot chocolate and you can tell me all about it.”

**********

“Hey Willow,” Buffy caught up with her friend at her locker the next morning.

“Buffy hey, how was your date?”

Looking skyward Buffy made a very unfeminine ‘ugh’ sound.

Willow giggled. “That bad huh?”

“Worse.” They began to walk down the hall toward their next class. “I’ve never been so bored in my life.”

“So I take it you won’t be seeing him again?”

Buffy looked askance at her friend. “You sound so pleased about that.”

“Well,” Willow admitted, “you have to admit the guy’s a jerk. I never did understand why you would want to go out with him in the first place.”

Buffy cringed at the thought as they took their seats. “I don’t know Willow. I mean he’s good looking, and hey he is a good dancer, but I always knew he was a jerk. Somehow that didn’t matter as much when I knew I couldn’t have him. I guess I was under some sort of delusion that if only he liked me he would instantly change into a better person. And now I sound like a psych textbook.”

Willow laughed, holding up two fingers close together. “Little bit.”

“Well whatever it was I’m over it now.” A thought seemed to strike her suddenly and she looked at Willow in mock amazement. “Hey, maybe I’m actually really screwed up as a person and I just haven’t realised it yet.”

Willow appeared to ponder this for a moment before reaching a conclusion. “No,” she stated, “screwed up would be if you told me you couldn’t wait for your second date with Angel.”

Both girls laughed, turning to the front of the room as their teacher started the class.

“Speak of the devil,” Buffy heard Willow mutter some time later as they re-entered the hallway. When Buffy looked up she saw Angel striding toward them.

“Hey babe.” Ignoring Willow completely he tried to put his arms around Buffy but she held him back. He appeared completely oblivious to the gesture. “I was hoping to catch you before you went to lunch. I was thinking we could ditch afternoon classes, go somewhere private.” His meaning was clear in his sultry tone and Buffy glanced hastily around, hoping no one else had heard him.

“Ahhh no…thanks but, I’d prefer to stick around.”

Angel frowned at her, obviously flummoxed. “Why?”

Dreading the coming conversation, and not having any idea what she was going to say, Buffy took his arm and led him back into the now empty classroom. “Look Angel. I’d like to thank you again for last night. It was…nice.” Her words sounded trite to her own ears but he seemed to think she was sincere so she just thanked her lucky stars and plunged on. “But I don’t think we should see each other again.”

“Excuse me?” Angel’s voice was incredulous. He seemed to find it hard to believe she could possibly be saying such a thing to him.

“I just don’t think we’re a very good match,” Buffy continued politely.

Angel stalked toward her, following her as she back up until he had her trapped against the teacher’s desk. “You’ve been panting after me for a long as I can remember.”

“Panting after you?” Buffy cried indignantly. “What am I your dog?”

Angel simply looked at her, as if conceding the truth of that statement. “Admit it Buffy. The hair, the clothes. You did it all for me. To get my attention.”

“Actually I did it all for me,” she argued but he continued as if she hadn’t even spoken.

“It worked. You got my attention with your low-cut tops and your tight little arse. But if you think you can just turn around and play hard to get now you are sorely mistaken.”

Buffy felt anger boiling inside her at his insulting words. She slid out from in front of him, making sure she placed herself between him and the door. “Maybe I did have a crush on you. Funny how that disappeared so easily when I actually spent some time with you. Now I’ve realised something Angel.”

“That you’re a frigid bitch?” he asked icily.

“Oh please.” She laughed at him, one eyebrow raised imperiously. “It’s kind of hard to get in the mood when your date is trying to swallow your face whole.

“No,” she continued. “I’ve realised that you’re just not good enough for me.” Giving him a final satisfied smirk she turned and proudly walked out of the room.

Immediately Willow was by her side. “Buffy that was awesome,” she gushed.

“You heard?”

“Are you kidding me?” Willow giggled excitedly. “Me and six other people were eavesdropping just outside the door.”

Buffy’s face turned scarlet and she dropped her face into her hands. “Oh my God.”

“No it’s great. By the end of the day everyone in the school will know that you dumped Angel on his arse. Not to mention that he’s a lousy kisser.”

“Oh crap.” Buffy started to feel a little bad about her outburst. “I didn’t mean to go spreading that information around the whole school. It’s kind of private. Plus it’s not like I’m Miss Experience here.”

“Oh don’t worry about it,” Willow assured her. “It’s about time Angel was brought down a peg or two. Especially after what he said to you.”

“He was really mean,” Buffy conceded. “Oh Willow. This whole dating thing is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought.”

**********

When Buffy arrived at the De Soto that afternoon Spike was already there waiting for her. She could tell just by looking at him that he’d heard about her little conversation with Angel. Neither had mentioned their dates that morning on the way to school; as if there was an unspoken agreement between them to steer clear of the subject. But there was no avoiding it now.

“So the great prick turned out to be the world’s worst kisser huh?” he asked calmly the moment she was within earshot.

“Okay, okay.” Buffy quickly climbed into the car, throwing her bag onto the back seat. “What have you heard?”

“Well pet, the rumour mill has it that you and Angel had a flaming row. That you broke it off with him and he went ballistic and started calling you names. At which point you told him he was beneath you and swept haughtily out of the room.” He grinned at her again. “That about sum it up pet?”

Buffy groaned in dismay. “Pretty much.”

“I almost decked him when I found out what he said to you,” Spike admitted. “But then I figured you did such a good job of laying him low…I didn’t want to steal your most dignified thunder.”

Buffy giggled at his choice of words.

They drove for a few minutes in silence, and then Spike said quietly, “I’m proud of you, you know.”

“For what?” she asked.

“For standing up to him. You never would have done that last year.”

Buffy realised he was right and couldn’t help the smug look that crept across her face. “Thanks.” Unable to stand it any longer she asked, “How did your date with Dru go?”

Spike nodded, a small smile playing over her feature. “I think it went well. She’s…she’s very unusual.”

Buffy wondered what he meant but didn’t want to pry. “So you’ll be seeing her again?”

Spike glanced at her as he pulled into her driveway. “Yeah. I will.”

Buffy felt an odd sense of disappointment settle in the pit of her stomach. “That’s great. I’m happy for you.”

“Thanks.”

“I’ll see you in the morning.” Buffy quickly got out of the car and hurried inside.