Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi everyone. For those of you that are still reading this story I'd like to say thank you so much for your patience. I had such a great time writing this chapter. Buffy kicks arse! I hope you enjoy it. I'm really really really hoping to write and post the next chapter within the week.
Chapter Thirteen

As Buffy left the house and approached the De Soto first thing Monday morning she flashed Spike a cheerful smile. She had no idea what would happen between them in the future but she felt confident that their friendship was still as strong as it had ever been. Knowing that they were both free to follow wherever their hearts might lead only added to her good mood.

Eager to start the day on the right foot Buffy had gotten up early in order to pay special attention to her appearance. She’d curled her hair before pulling it back in a high ponytail. Now it cascaded down her shoulder blades in shimmering waves. Her white shirt enhanced her golden skin and her pale green shirt brought out the colour of her eyes. Heeled sandals gave extra height to her long, slender legs.

She felt a giddy satisfaction as she saw Spike’s eyes slowly travel the length of her. Climbing into the car she noticed Spike adjusting his jacket over his lap and she bit back a giggle at his discomfit. Feeling playful she leaned toward him and pecked him on the cheek, allowing a sultry smile to creep its way across her lips. “Morning Spike.”

“Morning kitten,” he purred, still staring at her as he started the engine with a quick flick of his wrist.

The trip to school was spent talking about their respective weekends, though they both steered clear of the events of Friday night. The awkwardness that had snuck into their interactions of late was noticeably absent and they both enjoyed the simple pleasure of being together.

Walking into the school they noticed a few people staring at them and whispering amongst themselves. “Remember those repercussions you talked about love?” Spike ventured as they took their seats in homeroom. “I think they might be upon us.”

Buffy agreed, feeling increasingly anxious about the way some of the girls looked at her with disapproval, while the guys openly leered at her. Staring as if they were evaluating the quality of a side of beef.

Glancing at Spike she saw the anger on his face as he glared at the males in the room. Not wanting the situation to escalate she placed a hand on Spike’s arm. “Don’t worry,” she whispered. “I can handle this. I’ll find out what’s going on and I’ll deal with it.”

Spike nodded curtly, his jaw clenched, but he continued to stare down every male that dared look at her.

When she approached her locker a short time later Buffy found Parker, the school’s quarterback, waiting for her.

“Hi Buffy.” His tone was smarmy as he looked her up and down in a way that made Buffy’s skin crawl.

All but ignoring him Buffy opened her locker and began gathering books for her first class. “Is there something I can do for you Parker?”

He grinned at her then, exuding an arrogant confidence. “You can go out with me tonight.”

Wary of such an out of the blue request Buffy looked at him askance. “Why?”

“I thought we could get to know each other a little better.” He reached out to trail his fingers down Buffy’s arm but she managed to scoot out of his reach just in time.

“Gee thanks but actually I already know you as well as I want to.” Quickly backing away she fled to her class where she found Willow waiting for her. “What the hell is going on?”

Willow cringed and leaned close so no one else would be able to hear them. “Oh Buffy, I’m so sorry. It’s Angel. He’s telling people that you changed your look just so he’d go out with you and that you threw yourself at him as soon as you found out he and Dru broke up.” She paused and Buffy knew the worst was yet to come. “Buffy he’s saying that you had sex with him…that you seduced him.”

“He said what?!” Buffy’s eyes went wide as she realised she’d shouted. Face flaming she looked around, knowing now what everyone thought she’d done. Pulling her pride around her she sat back down and focused her attention back on Willow.

“Tell me the rest,” she whispered.

Gulping, Willow spoke grimly. “According to Angel, when he saw Dru with Spike he realised he still loved her and dumped you to get her back…they’re back together by the way.”

Buffy scoffed. “Only because Spike broke up with her and she’s such a ho she didn’t want to go home alone.”

Willow shook her head in disbelief. “Well to hear them tell it Dru only went out with Spike to make Angel jealous. Then she dumped him when Angel came back to her.”

Gasping, Buffy could only stare at Willow. “That is such crap,” she exclaimed suddenly. “They’re lying through their teeth about all of it.”

“I know.” Willow cringed. “Some people see through it all but most…” She shrugged. “It’s such juicy gossip, I don’t think they really care if it’s true or not.”

Buffy groaned in dismay. “I’m going to kill that arsehole.”

“Excuse me Miss Summers.”

Buffy and Willow’s heads snapped to the front of the room as their teacher’s exasperated voice reached them.

“Would you mind planning your foe’s demise another time? I would like to start my class.”

Mumbling an apology Buffy dropped her eyes to her book, trying to ignore the whispers of those around her.

**********

Spike’s hands clenched and unclenched at his sides as he barrelled through the hallways determinedly. When he finally caught sight of Angel he headed straight for him. “O’Connor!”

Angel turned at the sound of his name, smirking when he saw Spike’s angry approach.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing telling lies about Buffy?”

Angel sniggered. “What makes you think I’m telling lies Billy Boy?” Stepping closer he sneered in Spike’s face. “She was a hell of a ride.”

Spike snapped. Pulling back his fist he slammed it into Angel’s jaw and the taller man fell to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

“Spike!” Buffy ran up just in time to stop Spike from pulling Angel up off the ground just so he could knock him down again. Putting her hands on his chest she pushed him backward, desperate to stop him from getting into trouble. “Please Spike. He isn’t worth it.”

Angel got back on his feet, his features twisted in a mask of rage. “What’s wrong Billy? Disappointed that I got there first?”

“You son of a bitch,” Spike snarled, launching himself at Angel once again.

“Giles!” The bark of the principal’s voice resounded throughout the hall, bringing everyone within the vicinity to a standstill. “My office – now!” Seeing the dark purple bruise quickly forming on Angel’s jaw he added, “Go see the nurse O’Connor. Get some ice on that.”

As Buffy watched Spike follow the principal in one direction and Angel head in the other she knew she had to do something before this got any further out of control. With a determined stride she headed for the nurse’s office. Angel might have been in physical pain from Spike’s blow, but that was nothing compared to what she was about to do to him.

**********

When Buffy entered the Nurse’s office she was glad to find Angel alone. He was holding an icepack to his jaw and obviously brooding about how he would get revenge on Spike. Buffy swung the door closed behind her, effectively drawing Angel’s attention.

“What do you want?” Angel snapped at her.

“This isn’t about what I want,” Buffy said firmly, coming to stand in front of him. “This is about what you will do.”

Angel snorted. “And what is that, pray tell?”

Buffy smiled coldly. “You will retract the lies you’ve been spreading about me and Spike. That I was desperate to have you. That I had sex with you. That I seduced you. That Dru was using Spike and that she dumped him. You will retract all of them and you will do it by the end of the day.”

As she spoke Angel’s smirk grew until finally, by the time she had finished, he was chuckling sadistically. Finally he asked, “And why would I do that?”

“Because,” Buffy replied calmly, “if you don’t then I will admit to having sex with you. I will also say it was the most disappointing seven seconds of my life.”

With a roar Angel sprang up off the table he’d been sitting on. Throwing the icepack against a wall he stepped forward, crowding her. “You little bitch, you wouldn’t dare.”

Though she was shaking with fear inside Buffy met him toe to toe, refusing to let him intimidate her the way he used to. “Oh wouldn’t I?”

Angel snarled. “Don’t play with me little girl. You’ll get burned.”

“I’ll get burned?” Buffy laughed in his face. “I was the subject of taunts for years. I can handle anything you or anyone else in this school can throw at me. Make no mistake Angel, you’re the only one with something to lose here. I could decimate your reputation by the end of the week.”

“No one will believe a word you say. I’ll see to that.”

“But it won’t just be me. I’ll find an ally in every person you’ve ever picked on. That must be half the school by now. You won’t know who is going to say what about you next.” Adopting a mischievous expression she continued, “Just imagine what will happen when I have a heart to heart with Cordelia about how I’ve recently discovered that size really does matter after all.”

“No!” The rage in Angel’s voice had been replaced with sheer panic and she had to stop herself from sagging in relief when she realised she was going to win this round.

“This of course is all conjecture though isn’t it Angel.” She paused to make sure she had his full attention. “All you have to do is tell everyone you lied. Then you and I can forget we ever even met each other.”

“What will I tell people?”

“As long as Spike and I come out on top I really don’t care.” Heading for the door she proceeded to warn him, “Oh and Angel, if you even think of trying to double cross me just remember this…” She paused in the doorway, looking back over her shoulder at him impishly. “I’m so much smarter than you.”

Angel sat in stunned silence staring at the empty doorway for a long time after she was gone.