Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the great reviews. They really make my day. : ) I hope you enjoy the new chapter.
Chapter Fifteen

Buffy’s eyes flickered open to see early morning sunlight streaming through the window. For a moment she was confused as to why she was waking up on the living room couch. Then she rolled over and saw Spike sound asleep on the floor in front of her. The events of the night just past replayed through her mind and she blushed furiously even as she felt a giddy grin cover her face.

They were both covered with warm blankets and Spike’s head rested on an old pillow with a bright pink spotted pillow case. Realising he must have retrieved the bedding from the linen closet after she’d fallen asleep, she was grateful for his consideration. If her mother had come downstairs to find them curled up together on the couch she would have been facing a great many awkward and embarrassing questions.

Hearing footsteps coming down the stairs she sat up, rubbing the last traces of sleep from her eyes.

Joyce entered the room clad in a dressing gown and fuzzy slippers. “You two didn’t sit up all night watching movies did you?”

Buffy looked at her mother’s surprised face with a sheepish grin. “Umm, I think we must have fallen asleep at about three or so?”

Joyce clucked her tongue as she turned to head for the kitchen. “I swear you kids…I wish I had your stamina.”

Buffy caught a movement out of the corner of her eye and looked down to see Spike giving a huge yawn. His back was arched, his arms extended over his head as he stretched like a big cat. Buffy sighed dreamily as she watched him, wondering what it would be like to wake up wrapped in those muscular arms. “Morning cutie.”

Pulled from her fantasy Buffy saw him smiling up at her sexily and her own grin returned instantly. “Morning.”

Raising up on his elbows he lifted his face toward her. “Give me some sugar baby.”

Buffy laughed, holding her hand up to her mouth. “I can’t, I have morning breath.”

“So do I. Now get down here.”

Giving in with a dramatic sigh Buffy leaned over, slowly lowering her lips to his. Their kiss was slow and tender. Buffy’s lips slid over his with a new confidence, relishing the freedom she now had to kiss him at her leisure.

“Do you two want some–oh.”

Buffy and Spike sprang apart, staring wide-eyed at Joyce as she stood speechless in the doorway.

“Mom. I…umm…” Buffy gulped, wishing she could bury her head in the couch cushions.

“Ahh, I thought you might like some pancakes.” Now that she’d gotten over the shock, a look of amusement appeared on Joyce’s face, as if she suddenly found their discomfit rather funny.

“Sure Mom,” Buffy squeaked. “That would be great.”

Nodding Joyce looked at Spike. “Don’t forget William, you promised me hot chocolate.”

Spike nodded stiffly. “No problem.”

Still wearing that look of bemusement, Joyce disappeared back into the kitchen, leaving Buffy and Spike to crawl back under their respective blankets, groaning in embarrassment.

**********

It was later that day, long after Spike had gone home, that Joyce walked into Buffy’s room and sat on the edge of her bed. Though she’d been dreading it, Buffy had been waiting for just this kind of ‘it’s time to have a talk’ behaviour all day. Dropping her pen onto her half-finished English assignment she turned to face her mother and waited for her to begin.

“So you and William are dating?” Joyce asked bluntly.

“Wow. I thought you’d be a little smoother with the lead-in.”

Joyce shrugged nonchalantly. “So did I. But then I figured there wasn’t much point. Now dish.”

Buffy smiled at her mother’s somewhat out of date turn of phrase. “Okay. We haven’t actually gotten to the date part yet but…yeah, I guess we’re together.”

“When did this happen?”

“Officially? Last night.” Buffy’s eyes took on a dreamy glow as she remembered the look on Spike’s face as he kissed her. “Right after we finished watching Ghost.”

Joyce scoffed. “I should have known. That pottery wheel has a lot to answer for.”

Buffy giggled. “Actually it’s been coming on for a while now.”

“Gee you think?” Joyce chuckled. “I’m surprised the two of you didn’t combust months ago.”

“Mom!”

“Well it’s true.” The two women laughed together before Joyce asked quietly. “Do you love him Buffy?”

Buffy’s gaze dropped to her hands as they fidgeted in her lap. In her mind’s eye she saw Spike. Laughing with her. Dancing with her. Fighting for her. Holding her. Finally she looked her mother in the eye and answered with certainty. “Yeah. I do.”

Sighing, Joyce smiled knowingly and reached out to cover Buffy’s hands with her own. “Promise me something?”

Buffy looked at her mother questioningly.

Joyce rose from the bed, obviously overcome with emotion. “Oh this is such a special time in your life Buffy. I just want you to enjoy every moment of it. Just promise me you’ll take it slow? Don’t rush anything.”

Relieved that her mother was supportive of her growing relationship with Spike Buffy nodded. “I promise.”

“Good.” Obviously feeling better after having gotten that off her chest Joyce reached into her pocket and handed Buffy a small box. “Now keep some of those in your purse at all times.”

Shocked, Buffy looked from her mother to the box of condoms and back again. Several times. “But I didn’t…we haven’t even talked about…” Wide-eyed, she pointed a finger at her mother accusingly. “I thought you just told me you wanted me to take it slow.”

Joyce nodded firmly. “I did. And I do. But I’m not stupid Buffy. I know what it’s like to be in love for the first time. It’s better to be safe than sorry. I’m much too young to be a grandmother.”

Buffy blanched and clutched the box tightly to her chest. “I’ll take them. I promise.”

“Good.” Apparently done with the topic Joyce seemed happy to change tracks completely. “How about some dinner?”

For a moment Buffy sat there, her mouth still hanging open. “Umm…okay.” Hurriedly throwing the box of condoms into the drawer of her bedside table she followed her mother out the door.

“Oh and Buffy?” Joyce commented as they descended the stairs. “For God’s sake don’t lose your virginity in the backseat of a car. It’s just not worth the discomfit. I speak from experience.”

“Eww, Mom!”