Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi All. Sorry this chapter was so long in coming. I'm striving to step up my writing output. I hope you enjoy.
Chapter Sixteen

Buffy was just climbing into bed when the phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Hey pet. It’s Spike.”

“Hey you.” She grinned broadly as she slipped under the covers, getting comfortable with the phone pressed to her ear. “What are you up to late on this Sunday eve?”

He groaned loudly. “I’m supposed to be working on this blasted English essay. But I couldn’t stop thinking about my girl.”

“Oh really,” Buffy said mischievously. “Well, I think it’s very irresponsible of her to come between you and your academic muse. Would you like me to tell her off for you?”

“I don’t know.” She could hear the laughter in his voice. “She’s pretty feisty. She might fight back.”

Buffy giggled. “That’s okay. I can take her.”

“Oh I don’t doubt it,” Spike agreed. “You could take down an army with nothing more than a look and a few well-chosen words.”

“I don’t know about an army, but I think I can hold my own with the Angels of this world now. That’s enough for me.”

Spike chuckled. “Too right. So what are you doing pet?”

“Actually I was just getting into bed when you called.”

Spike groaned into the phone. “Oh that’s a dangerous thing for you to admit to me right now.”

“And why is that?” Buffy asked with a contented sigh.

“Because you’re only two blocks away and I could be there in under five minutes.”

“Hmmm.” Buffy’s eyes drifted closed as she imagined having him there beside her. His lips just a whisper away as his tempting words tickled her ear.

“What are you thinking?”

Buffy exhaled softly, lost in her fantasy. “About you being here with me.”

Spike’s voice turned husky and she knew instinctively that he was becoming as aroused by their conversation as she was. “I’ve got this image in my head of you lying there. Your beautiful golden hair spread out around you. A sheet draped over your delicious body. Looking all sexy in your…what are you wearing?”

Buffy glanced down at her old white night gown and cringed. “Umm…who says I’m wearing anything at all?”

Suddenly, she heard the phone clatter to the floor and mere moments later there was a loud crash, followed by Spike swearing vehemently.

“Spike?” Buffy called but there was no answer.

Then she heard him pick up the phone. “Buffy? Are you still there?”

“Yes I’m still here. What the hell happened?”

Spike laughed suddenly. “Sorry love but I…umm…oh hell, I fell off the bloody chair.”

Stunned, Buffy burst out laughing as well. “Okay, as much as I like the idea of you falling for me, that wasn’t really what I had in mind.”

“Yeah, no kidding,” he replied sardonically. “But seriously love, if you tell me you’re really lying there naked while talking to me on the bloody phone I’m going to be climbing through your bedroom window before my brain even thinks about kicking into gear.”

“Okay, okay,” Buffy confessed, though she was secretly thrilled at the thought that she could cause such a violent reaction in him. “I’m wearing a really old daggy nightie. I just didn’t want to admit it.”

Spike ‘mmmed’ and she knew he’d gone straight back to picturing her. “Don’t worry love. You still look sexy to me.”

**********

An hour later Buffy was snuggled beneath her doona. The phone was tucked into the crook of her neck as she and Spike talked of things both intimate and ordinary. One hand was stretched above her head while the other traced slow circles around her belly button. She shivered pleasantly as she thought about what the touch of his hands had done to her the night before. “I’ve never felt anything like that before. It was…,” she smiled shyly, even in the darkness of her room, “unexpected.”

“I’ll say.” Spike responded eagerly. “I mean I’d thought about it. Probably more than you realise. And I’d hoped that something would happen between us. But last night…holding you…it was like touching the sun.”

Buffy smiled warmly. “Ahh, there’s my poet.”

Spike chuckled. “Yeah. It seems I can’t help myself.”

They were both silent for a few minutes, enjoying the closeness of the moment and the simple sound of each other’s breathing. Then, Spike laughed suddenly.

“What?”

“I thought I was a dead man when your Mum walked in on us kissing this morning.”

Buffy groaned at the memory. “God I thought I’d die from embarrassment.” Quick to reassure him she added, “Don’t worry though. You’re still welcome in casa del Summers.”

“So she doesn’t hate me then?”

“No. Actually she was really good about the whole thing. It seems she knew something was happening between us before we did.”

“What did you tell her…about us?”

Buffy bit her lip, suddenly a little nervous. “Well,” she began, hoping she wasn’t assuming too much. “I told her that we hadn’t actually dated but that we’re…together.” She paused. “We are together…aren’t we?”

“Love, you couldn’t get rid of me if you tried.”

Buffy smiled. “Well, I don’t think I’ll be trying to get rid of you anytime soon.”

“Good to know. But there is still the issue of us never actually having gone on a real date.”

“Yes. I suppose there is.”

“B-u-f-f-y?” He drew the word out and she tried not to giggle as excitement coursed through her.

“Yes Spike?”

“Would you like to go out on a date with me?”

Buffy adopted a business-like tone, unable to resist teasing him a little. “Well I’ll have to check my schedule. I’ll be pretty busy but I could possibly fit you in sometime around November.”

Spike snorted. “Oh now you’re asking for a spanking girl.”

“Promise?”

A sound somewhere between a splutter and a cough erupted from the phone. “Do you want me to fall off my chair again?!”

Buffy giggled uncontrollably, relishing the fact that she could drive him crazy. Finally she decided to put him out of his misery. “S-p-i-k-e?” She asked, emulating his earlier question.

“Yes Buffy?”

“I’d love to go out on a date with you.”

She could practically see Spike’s firm nod. “That’s more like it.”