Chapter Seventeen

Buffy smoothed her skirt down nervously. The royal blue was nicely complimented by a fitted black top and strappy heels. Tonight she was going for sexy but classy. She wanted Spike to drool, but she also wanted him to be proud to have her on his arm. Anxiously she tugged and pulled on various parts of her outfit, trying to make everything sit just right. Finally she rolled her eyes and turned away from the mirror, vowing not to look in it again.

“What the hell is wrong with you Buffy?” she muttered to herself as she checked the contents of her purse for the third time. “It’s just Spike. There is absolutely no need to be nervous.”

The doorbell sounded downstairs and Buffy’s head snapped up on a gasp. Taking a deep breathe she glanced in the mirror one last time before making her way down the stairs just as her mother was letting Spike in through the front door. He was in the middle of greeting her mother when he glanced up and caught sight of her. He stopped talking mid-sentence and starred up at her with a huge grin. “Hello Buffy.”

Buffy’s heart thudded in her chest as she came to stand in front of him. “Hi.” Her voice seemed ridiculously high-pitched and she blushed in embarrassment.

“These are for you,” Spike said suddenly as a small bouquet of roses appeared under her nose.

Buffy took the flowers and sniffed them delicately. “Thank you.” God Buffy, can you manage more than two words at a time?

“You look beautiful.”

“Thank you. So do you.” She blushed again, feeling like an idiot, and resisted the urge the smack herself in the forehead. “I mean…you look very handsome.”

Spike smiled again, seemingly lost for words, and Buffy realised he was just as nervous as she was.

“Well now,” Joyce suddenly piped up from the sidelines, where she had been watching them with amusement. “Buffy, I’ll put these in some water for you. You kids go and have a great time.”

Suddenly springing into action Buffy gave her mother the flowers and allowed Spike to lead her out the front door. The drive to the restaurant was made in virtual silence. Buffy sat stiffly in her seat, wondering if their whole date would be this awkward. She cringed at the thought and searched for something, anything, to say. Just as she opened her mouth to speak Spike pulled the car off the road and parked. As she got out Buffy saw where they were and for a moment she just stared at the neon sign above the doorway. Déjà vu much?

“Is something wrong love?”

Snapping back to reality Buffy saw Spike frowning at her. “No of course not.” She tried to play it off but he wasn’t having it.

“Tell me,” he said curiously.

Inwardly groaning Buffy waved a dismissive hand. “It’s nothing really. This was the restaurant Angel took me to that’s all.” She panicked when she saw the way his face fell and she scrambled to make it better. “But this is good really because I can personally attest to the fact that the food here is excellent. And this time the company will be great too.”

Seeming to collect himself Spike proffered his arm so he could lead her inside. “You’re absolutely right love. I’m excellent company.”

Buffy smiled brightly, relieved that she hadn’t accidentally put a downer on the evening. “Exactly. Plus, I know you won’t be rude to the waiter.”

Spike looked confused. “Why on earth would I be rude to a waiter? I do not want anyone spitting in my food thank you very much.”

Buffy giggled and shook her head. “Eww. Your are so gross.”

Ten minutes later Buffy and Spike were sitting at their table, having just ordered their meals. The silence was deafening as they both looked nervously around the room, avoiding each other’s gaze.

“This place is nice,” Spike offered, obviously desperate for something to say.

“Yes. It’s lovely.”

Their eyes met and they stared at each other for a moment before both bursting into laughter.

“Bloody hell,” Spike exclaimed when he could speak again. “Could this possibly get any more unnerving?”

“I know what you mean,” Buffy gasped between giggles. “You’ve been my best friend for years and now suddenly I can’t get my tongue untied long enough to put a whole sentence together.”

Spike groaned dramatically. “I didn’t think it would be this hard.”

“Me neither.” Buffy shrugged. “Maybe it’s just a transitional thing. From friends to…err…couple.”

“Maybe.” Straightening in his chair Spike asked, “But things don’t have to be so different do they? I mean, you’re still my best friend. Just with…I don’t know…bonus bits.”

Buffy laughed at his tactless choice of words. “I guess that’s one way to put it.” She reached out to brush her fingertips against his hand and he immediately entwined their fingers together. “You’re right though. We’re still best friends. It’s just that now we make out on my Mom’s couch.”

Heat sparked in Spike’s eyes and his grip on her hand tightened. “Now there is one hell of a bonus bit,” he purred softly.

Buffy’s stomach did flip flops at the tone of his voice and it took a moment for her to drag herself out of lust bunny mode. “So then,” she murmured huskily. “We should just talk like friends. Like we always have. And then later, when we’re alone, we can…”

“Stop talking?” Spike raised one sexy eyebrow and gazed at her hungrily.

Breathing heavier now Buffy cleared her throat before she answered. “Something like that yes.”

Just then the waiter arrived with their food and the moment was broken. As they began to eat a much more comfortable silence fell between them and it wasn’t long before the conversation began to flow and their previous awkwardness was all but forgotten.

**********

“Oh my God, that chocolate mud cake was to die for,” Buffy moaned, a blissful smile on her face.

Spike grinned at her warmly. “I’m glad you liked it pet.”

“So where to now Mr Flirty Man?” Buffy asked cheekily.

“You’ll see,” Spike replied as they got into the car.

Twenty minutes later they arrived at a small lake near the edge of town. There was a picnic area with tables and barbeques, and a lit path around the lake. Perfect for couples to stroll hand in hand.

“Oh wow,” Buffy was saying. “I haven’t been here in ages, and never at night.” Grabbing Spike’s hand she dragged him down to the edge of the lake, drawing his arms around her waist as she gazed out over the water.

“Yeah well. I did not want to pull the whole ‘I know this place where you can see out over the whole town’ line on you. Especially considering when you get to said place you find at least a half dozen other cars, all with steamed up windows. Then you both end up sitting there thinking about whether or not you’re going to make out and who should make the first move and it’s all rather stupid and more than a little seedy. Not the way I wanted to end the evening.”

Buffy was giggling as Spike finished his long-winded explanation. “I take it you thought long and hard about this,” she teased.

Burying his face in Buffy’s hair Spike groaned in dismay. “Man that was so obvious wasn’t it?”

Buffy nodded emphatically, laughing at his distress. “Oh yeah.” A shiver ran through her and she pulled Spike’s arms tighter around her.

“Cold pet?” At Buffy’s nod Spike suggested, “How about we head back to the car. I’ll turn the heater on.”

Smiling, Buffy followed his lead. “Sounds cosy.”

Climbing back into the car Spike switched on the heater before enfolding Buffy in his arms. For a few minutes they sat silently looking out over the moonlit lake, enjoying each other’s company.

Then Buffy tilted her head back so she could look into Spike’s eyes. “Spike?” she whispered hesitantly.

“Hmmm?” Spike looked down, his gaze running over Buffy’s features, taking in the longing in her eyes. He gave a gentle smile. “My Buffy,” he murmured before capturing her lips with his own.

Buffy sighed in relief at the taste of him. Cupping the back of his neck she pulled him closer, deepening their kiss. Quickly her need to be closer grew to a fervour pitch and she whimpered, pressing herself against him.

“Buffy wait,” Spike panted, breaking away from her.

Smacking a hand over her mouth Buffy looked at him with wide eyes. “Oh no. I didn’t slobber again did I?”

Laughing as he caught his breath Spike assured her, “No pet. That’s not the problem.”

“Oh good.” Buffy reached out to cup his face in her hands, resting her forehead against his. “It’s just that, you drive me crazy.”

Spike groaned loudly. “Ditto on the crazy love. So crazy I feel like I’m going to explode.”

Buffy stared at him in wonder. “Really?” When he nodded she practically launched herself fat him, sliding over him so that she straddled him in his seat. “Show me,” she said quietly, running her hands down his chest to rest on his belt buckle.

Spike’s head snapped up at her words. “What?”

Hungrily Buffy squirmed in his lap and Spike grabbed her hips in an attempt to still her provocative movements. Leaning down to his ear she whispered, “I want to see you explode.”

Heat shot through Spike with the force of an electric shock and he bucked beneath her, causing her head to bump against the roof of the car. “Ouch!”

Spike paled instantly. “Oh God Buffy I’m so sorry.”

With one hand covering the sore spot Buffy laughed. “It’s okay. I’m okay.”

Refusing to be distracted from her goal Buffy scooted back a little in Spike’s lap and reached for his belt buckle.

Spike grabbed her hand. “Hang on.”

“What is it?”

“Well,” Spike confessed, “hurting you just now. It wasn’t exactly a turn on if you know what I mean.”

“Oh.” Buffy grinned excitedly. “We can fix that.” She took his lips again in a slow deep kiss, seducing his mouth with her teeth and tongue. Her hands crept under his shirt to play along the hard lines of his chest, before sliding down to his pants. Determinedly she unfastened his belt and lowered his zipper. Her hands hovered then, unsure of what to do next.

Sensing her hesitation Spike reached down to draw his erection from the confines of his pants. Taking Buffy’s hand he guided her to his hard length. The moment he felt her fingertips against his aching flesh he threw his head back, crying out in pleasure.

Buffy snatched her hand away, misinterpreting his reaction. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No,” Spike gasped, shaking his head. His eyes were tightly shut, his fingers clutching the edges of the seat. “Don’t stop. Please don’t stop.”

Relieved that she was giving him pleasure and not pain, Buffy returned to her previous position with gusto. She watched his face intently as she stroked him, eager to learn what would give him the most enjoyment.

Suddenly Spike grappled for a small tissue box sitting on the dash board. Using a couple of tissues to cover himself he came with a harsh cry, a violent shudder ripping through his body.

Afterward, he sat limply in the chair for several minutes, catching his breath. When he finally cracked open an eyelid he found Buffy watching him with wide eyes. A grin that would shame any cheshire cat plastered on her face. Spike reached out, drawing her against him. Sighing contentedly he kissed her hair, almost purring when she snuggled against him. “Thank you Buffy,” he whispered drowsily. “That was unbelievable.”

“Yeah it was,” Buffy agreed proudly.

Spike chuckled. “I don’t think I’ll be able to walk for a week.”

Giggling Buffy looked up at him. “Just so long as you can drive. You still have to take me home remember.”

“Mmmm,” Spike sighed again. “Just five more minutes.”

Smiling at his obvious and total satisfaction Buffy settled more comfortably on his chest and replayed the evening in her mind. Oh yeah, she decided cheerfully. This was the best date ever.