Chapter Nineteen

“I’ve decided to have sex with Spike.”

The tray of food Willow had been placing on the table dropped the last few inches with a loud clatter and she fell, mouth hanging open, into the chair in front of it. “Really?” she half-whispered.

Buffy grinned nervously, her eyes wide with excitement. “Really.”

Eager for more Willow leaned in conspiratorially. “When did you decide?”

“I’ve been thinking about it for a while now. Ever since that incident with my condom-filled purse a few weeks back.”

Still sitting with her mouth hanging open Willow absentmindedly filled it with a bite of bread roll and started to chew. “Wow.”

Buffy’s grin grew even wider. “Yeah.”

“How are my two favourite ladies?” Spike suddenly appeared at the table, lunch tray brimming, and noisily settled himself at the table.

“Hey there,” Buffy greeted him with a quick kiss.

“Mmm,” Spike murmured. “Tasty.” He waggled his eyebrows and Buffy giggled.

Turning to Willow he asked, “So Red, how’s that guitarist we’ve been hearing so much about?”

Willow blushed bright red, even as her eyes glazed over and her face lit up. “Oz,” she sighed.

Buffy sat quietly watching Spike, only half-listening to Willow gush about the band member she’d met the first night she’d gotten dressed up to go to The Bronze with Buffy. Spike on the other hand was listening attentively to everything Willow had to say, even as his hand reached out under the table to capture hers.

He’s such a great friend, she thought dreamily. And a great boyfriend, her mind added. Not to mention a pulse-racing, heart-pounding, spine-tingling, take-me-now-I’ll-die-without-you kisser, she reminded herself. The academic side piped up then with a confused, That sentence made no sense.

Suddenly shaking her head Buffy brought an abrupt halt to her internal conversation to find Spike and Willow looking at her oddly.

“You okay love?”

Buffy nodded, feeling silly. “Yeah, sorry. I’m fine.” Picking up a cold fry from her plate Buffy resolved to stop gawking at Spike long enough to concentrate on Willow. “Willow? You were saying?”

As they were walking to class after lunch a little later Willow returned to their earlier conversation. “So you’re sure you’re ready to do this?”

“Yes.” Buffy nodded firmly. “Besides every time I get near him I turn into some sort of dreamy-eyed lust bunny. You saw what happened in there. I’m having actual conversations with myself about how great he is. And all the Buffy’s in my head agree. He’s the one.”

Willow returned for a moment to her previous reaction of “wow” before snapping back to the conversation. “Have you told him?”

Buffy shook her head. “No. I want to surprise him. I’m going to rent us a room at the North Lakes Hotel for the night of the Sadie Hawkins Dance next week.”

“Ohhh. That’s a really nice hotel Buffy.”

“I know.” Buffy’s excitement grew as she told Willow her plan. “I’m going to go check-in in the afternoon so it won’t be awkward when we get there. I want everything to be just right.”

She took a deep calming breath before turning to Willow with a hopeful expression. “Is it okay if I tell Mom I’m staying at your place that night?”

Willow frowned, even as she nodded. “Sure. But…I thought your Mom was okay with it.”

Buffy made a face. “I wouldn’t go that far. She knows it’s inevitable sooner or later. But I’m pretty sure it’s still a matter of the later it is the happier she’ll be. Plus, it would just be too weird if she knew. Especially before the actual…,” Buffy gestured with her hand, “…event.”

“Oh yeah. Way weird.” Willow nodded enthusiastically as they continued down the hall.

**********

That afternoon Buffy strolled happily out of the school building on her way to the car park. She’d never been so happy in her life. The sun was shining, birds were chirping, Spike was talking to Dru. The symphonic orchestra that was playing in Buffy’s head came to a tuneless screeching halt. Spike was talking to Dru?

Buffy paused for a moment, before her brain kicked into gear again. Come on Buffy, she admonished. They’re just talking. Spike can talk to whomever he wants.

Picking up her pace again Buffy flicked back her hair, lifted her chin and walked confidently toward them. Dru obviously saw her out of the corner of her eye and, smiling secretly, she touched Spike lightly on the arm as she said goodbye and began to move away.

Lifting a hand to wave goodbye to her Spike turned his head and saw Buffy approaching. He smiled widely as he held his arms out to her. “There’s my girl. I was wondering where you were.”

“I had to ask Mr Johnson a couple of questions about a paper,” she replied. Even as she told herself she was being ridiculous she found herself checking his eyes for any signs of guilt. All she saw was his happiness to see her. Feeling reassured Buffy pulled out of his arms so they could get into the car.

“What did Dru want?” she asked, hoping she sounded nonchalant.

Spike kept his eyes on the road. “Nothing really. We were just talking.”

“Oh.” She was silent for a moment before feeling compelled to ask, “Do you and Dru…talk…often?”

Looking at her askance Spike replied, “Occasionally. I wouldn’t say often. She’s not a bad person Buffy. Angel’s a complete prat but Dru’s just…Dru.”

“Oh.”

Spike pulled into her driveway and parked the car before turning to face her. “Jealous pet?” he asked with a smirk.

Buffy snorted. “Of course not.”

“Good.” Spike smiled as he leaned toward her. “Because you’re my girl.”

Finally Buffy felt a smile curve her lips as she felt him nuzzling her neck. “I know,” she conceded. Turning her head she met his lips in a sweet kiss. “Are you coming in?”

Spike groaned. “I wish I could but I have to turn a paper in tomorrow and I’m not even close to finishing it.”

“You could study with me,” she coaxed. “I could help you.”

“As tempting as that sounds,” he replied, stroking her neck and along her collarbone, “whenever you wear that shirt I turn into a drooling idiot. If I walk into your bedroom this afternoon the only thing that’s going to get done is you.”

Teasing him, Buffy arched her back a little, thrusting out her chest. The low cut emerald green top stretched across her breasts in just the right way. “You mean this shirt?”

With an agonised groan Spike pulled her against him, crushing her lips with is own. He slipped his tongue into Buffy’s mouth the moment she parted her lips, knowing that if he didn’t stop soon he’d never be able to let her go. Tearing his mouth away he buried his face in her neck again, breathing her scent deeply. “Oh kitten, you are too too dangerous.”

Smiling happily Buffy pulled away from him slowly. “Well, I suppose I should let you go. You have that paper to write and all,” she drawled seductively.

Spike smirked at her sexy tone. “Vixen.”

Leaning in for one last kiss Buffy murmured, “Only for you.” Evading his questing hands she jumped from the car with a teasing laugh. “See you tomorrow Spike,” she called as she sashayed toward her front door. Looking back over her shoulder she winked saucily. “Sweet dreams.”