Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks again for the great reviews. I'm really enjoying writing this story and it definitely goes quicker when I see that people are enjoying it.
Chapter Three

“I’ve been thinking about the whole image thing.”

Buffy looked up from the magazine she was flipping through to watch William as he examined himself in front of her mirror. He’d raked his hands through his hair so that it was held back from his face. Wow. He really does have great cheekbones, she mused as she sipped at her Diet Coke. She knew how hard William had been working over the past month, both at his construction job and with her at the gym, and as her eyes drifted down over the hard lines of his body she realized it was really beginning to show. Yummy, she thought to herself, then blinked in surprise at her own thoughts.

The gym time had also done wonders for Buffy. Her already slim form was now nicely toned. She had also spent a couple of days each week sunbaking in her backyard, giving her skin a healthy golden glow. At last she was grateful for the bikini her mother had brought home for her ages ago. All in all Buffy felt stronger and more confident in her own body than she ever had, and she knew it was the same for William.

Now, with only two weeks left until the start of school, they both knew it was time to get serious about cosmetic changes. Which had led to this afternoon. Buffy was sprawled comfortably on her bed, surrounded by the latest fashion magazines, while William stared at himself in her mirror, pondering his next move.

“What have you been thinking?” she asked, finally responding to his comment about image.

“I think I need one – an image. Something memorable you know? Somehow I don’t think a simple haircut and a couple of new clothes will be enough.”

Sitting up, Buffy pondered for a while before saying, “You’re right. And I don’t see you as the sports jock.” She giggled at the image that evoked.

“Bloody oath no!” William exclaimed with disgust. “I’d rather grab a good book than have to sit through some sodding football game.”

Buffy smiled at his complete lack of interest in anything to do with sport. “That’s my Will,” she joked.

William plopped down beside her and looked at her anxiously. “So what do I do?”

Raising her eyebrows in surprise Buffy asked, “You’re kidding right? How can you not know this one? Have you never seen a teen movie?”

At William’s blank look she rolled her eyes. “You are going to be…” she paused for effect, “the bad boy with a heart of gold.”

Raucous laughter filled the room and William nearly fell off the bed. “You don’t actually think that will work do you?” He managed to get out between guffaws. “Buffy, I’m known through that whole school as William the Bloody Awful Poet. No one is going to mistake me for a bad boy.”

“Trust me on this,” Buffy assured him. “You know I’ve always adored your poetry. The other girls have just never bothered to take the time to really read it. To see it the way I have. But when it’s all wrapped up in mystery and leather? They will all be wishing you’d write about them. Plus, with the new look and everything they’ll all be dying to know what happened over the summer to change you. It will be a great excuse for drastic changes. Lots of black clothes and stuff. You can make the whole, ‘I don’t care what I look like’ cliché work totally in your favour.” She could see William was thinking about it now and knew she’d pretty much won this round.

Running her fingers through his hair she murmured, “I will miss these curls though.”

Turning to look at her William smiled a little sadly. “If all this works out the way we’ve planned, everything is going to be different for both of us,” he said quietly.

With a small sigh Buffy nodded. “Yeah, it will.”

William reached out to tuck her hair behind her ear, sliding one finger back down her cheek. “I just don’t want things to change between us. I don’t want to lose you.”

Gripping his hand in hers she held his gaze steadily as she replied, “You’re not going to lose me. We just have to promise that no matter what happens, we’ll always be there for each other. Promise?”

William nodded firmly. “I promise.”

Suddenly he pulled her into a tight hug and she returned it fiercely. For long minutes they held each other, until the fear of what the future might hold was pushed back.

When they parted Buffy pulled William up from the bed. “Now come on,” she said as she led him out of her room. “We’re going to go rent a copy of The Breakfast Club, which you will then watch without complaint. We’ll turn you into a bad boy yet.”

William came up close behind her and leaned down to purr into her ear, “Five more minutes behind your closed bedroom door and I could give you a little taste of just how bad I can be.”

Buffy shivered in response before her jaw dropped and she swung around to stare at him with wide eyes. “You’re doing that flirty thing again,” she squeaked accusingly.

He laughed at her sudden lack of composure. “Yeah well, practise makes perfect you know.”

“Hmph,” Buffy squeaked again before spinning on her heel and walking off, leaving a chuckling William to follow after her.

**********

Buffy sat staring at her breakfast cereal, a worried frown creasing her forehead. Her spoon meandered absently through her now soggy Corn Flakes.

“Is something wrong honey?”

Snapping abruptly out of her musings Buffy looked up to find her mother sitting across from her at the kitchen table.

“No Mom, I’m fine,” she replied a little too brightly.

Joyce sipped her coffee, watching as her daughter finished her breakfast. “So what are you doing today?”

Buffy smiled hesitantly. “I’m…umm…I’m going shopping.”

“Oh that sounds like fun. Shopping for anything in particular?”

Blushing a little Buffy muttered, “Everything actually.”

At Joyce’s questioning look Buffy explained. “I’m looking to do something a little different this year. Some new clothes, different hair, the whole bit. I’ve saved all the money I’ve earned at The Magic Box, and today is the day I go shopping.” Finishing her speech with a determined nod Buffy looked up to find her mother staring at her in shock. “Mom, are you still there?” she asked a little worriedly.

Joyce smiled suddenly, “Yes, of course. What brought this on Buffy?”

Shrugging, Buffy suddenly became fascinated with her fingernails. “I don’t know. I just feel like I’m missing out on stuff. I’ll be going to college next year and I’ve never even been on a date. And it’s not just me. Will’s doing it too.”

Joyce laughed. “I knew something was going on with you two. All those trips to the gym and you buying fashion magazines you’ve never been interested in before. I just didn’t realize it was quite so dramatic.”

Buffy cringed. “You think it’s stupid don’t you.”

“Absolutely not,” Joyce said firmly. “I think it’s a wonderful idea. Remember who’s been trying to get you out of those ridiculous knee-length skirts for the past two years.” Buffy blushed again, remembering all the times Joyce had tried to steer her into the trendy stores at the mall, only to have Buffy bolt in the other direction.

“Would you like me to come with you?” Joyce asked suddenly. “For moral support?”

Buffy smiled at her mother’s eagerness. “Thanks. But I think this is something I need to do on my own.”

“Okay.” Joyce rose from her chair, grabbing her handbag off the kitchen counter. Rifling through it briefly she pulled a hundred dollars out of her wallet and handed it to Buffy. “My donation to the cause.”

Buffy gave her mother a big hug, grateful for her support. “Thanks Mom,” she whispered as she pulled back, a big smile on her face. “Well, I’d better get ready to go. Big day ahead.”

As Buffy left the kitchen, a wistful smile crossed Joyce’s face. Finally, she thought to herself, my little girl is coming out of hiding.