Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone who has shown support for this story. And to those that had a bit of a whinge about the shortness of the last chapter, this one is for you. It's nice and loooong. *wink*
Chapter Six

As they entered The Bronze Buffy was suddenly overcome with a case of nerves. What if this didn’t work? She’d had a great reaction from Will, no Spike. Her stomach turned another somersault as she remembered the way his blue eyes had glided over her body appreciatively when he saw her. But other people? What if they all saw through the new outer-Buffy to the trembling nerd still lurking underneath?

“Maybe we should find a seat in the corner,” she whispered urgently in Spike’s ear. “You know, scope out the place first.”

He turned to look at her in amusement. Giving her hand a squeeze he shook his head. “Time to take the plunge pet. No turning back now.”

With a slight whimper Buffy followed as he led them to a table near the dance floor. “You sit while I go get us some drinks,” he said loudly over the music.

Buffy’s eyes immediately widened in panic. “You’re leaving me?”

He smile at her reaction and leaned closer so he wouldn’t have to speak as loudly. “Buffy you need to relax. Enjoy the music.” His head tilted slightly. “Where’s my brave kitten?”

Suddenly mesmerized by his closeness, and slightly melty from his new affectation, Buffy laughed at her own behaviour. “You’re right,” she stated firmly. “Go. I’ll sit and soak up the atmosphere.”

Spike smiled at her. “That’s my girl,” he murmured in a low voice, before striding confidently in the direction of the bar.

“Wohoo honey. You’ve got yourself one hell of a man there B.”

Startled, Buffy turned to find the young woman from the first clothing store she’d visited that day standing behind her.

“Faith? What are you doing here?” she blurted out in surprise.

Chuckling to herself Faith cocked an eyebrow. “Well you see at the end of the day I close the store and then if I’ve been a good girl I’m allowed out in public.”

Buffy turned beet red and cringed with embarrassment. “Oh I’m so sorry. I didn't mean it to come out like that. I was just surprised to see you again.”

“That’s okay. I see the big transformation is taking effect. You look hot as hell girl.”

Buffy beamed with pleasure. “Thank you.”

“Now back to the hotty you’re with…he yours?”

Looking over at the bar Buffy saw Spike being served. She noticed the number of looks he was getting from the girls nearby and felt pride swell in her chest at his success in being noticed. Turning back to Faith she answered. “No. He’s my best friend, but we’re not together.”

Faith nodded, a bemused expression on her face. “Sure. Whatever you say.”

At that moment Spike arrived with drinks in hand. After thanking him, Buffy introduced Faith to Spike. “Faith is single-handedly responsible for this outfit,” she told him.

“Damn right,” Faith agreed with a mischievous grin. “What do you think Spike? Doesn’t she look good enough to eat?”

Spike looked warmingly at Buffy. “Without a doubt.”

Buffy blushed and looked fixedly into her glass, not sure how to react to so many compliments in such a short time.

“Okay Buffy.” Faith laughed as she watched the interaction between the two ‘friends’. “Let’s get your arse on that floor and shake it.”

Buffy shook her head emphatically. “Oh no, Faith. Really, I don’t dance.”

Faith just laughed. “Now you do.” Grabbing Buffy by the arm she pulled her onto the dance floor.

“Come on B. Just relax and go with the flow. You’re gonna love it.”

Buffy looked frantically around, convinced everyone would be gawking at her and laughing. Faith captured Buffy’s face in her hands. “Buffy stop thinking. Just keep your eyes on me and do what I do.”

Still reluctant, but willing to try, Buffy watched Faith’s body as she moved to the music. Taking a deep breath Buffy began to move her hips just a little, mimicking the movements of the older girl.

Faith nodded encouragingly. “You’re getting it, now just open yourself up to the music.”

Slowly gaining confidence Buffy swayed and moved to the beat. Lifting her arms over her head she let her head fall back, enjoying the languid movements of her own body. She’d never felt so free and sexy.

“That’s it girl. What did I tell you? You’ll have every man in this room eating out of your hands in no time; including your boy Spike.”

Buffy looked over at their table to find Spike watching her intently. A look of lust clear on his hard features. Buffy felt a jolt of heat shoot through her as she watched him. Revelling in her new found freedom she allowed a shadow of a smile to tug at the corners of her mouth. Then she sent him a mischievous wink as she dipped her body lower, gyrating her hips in sensual abandon.

Spike’s jaw practically dropped and she laughed cheekily at his discomfort. It was official, this was the best night of her life.

**********

Buffy was feeling powerful and exhilarated by the time the music took a turn for the slow and dreamy side. Out of breath from her exertions, she thanked Faith and was making her way off the dance floor when Spike appeared in front of her and pulled her into his arms.

Buffy gasped as she felt his strong arms settle around her waist. Tentatively she wound her arms around his neck and relaxed into his embrace, giving him a big smile.

“Hey there Spike,” she said a little breathlessly.

Spike smiled a little in pleasure at how easily she’d adjusted to his new name. “Hey there,” he replied. “You looked great out here.”

“Thank you,” Buffy said a little shyly, blushing at the thought of the way she’d been dancing. Then she giggled happily. “I’ve never had so much fun.”

“Not even that time we had the popcorn fight in your living room and your Mum threatened to keep us apart till we turned 30?”

Buffy laughed at the memory. “Okay. Maybe tonight is a close runner-up.”

Spike’s fingers flexed on her waist as he fought not to draw her body tighter against his. Holding her like this, after seeing her dance so provocatively, it was completely addling his brain. His senses were overloading with the feel of her, the sight, the scent of her perfumed skin. It was only the vague knowledge that if she was any closer she’d know intimately exactly what kind of effect she was having on him that kept him in control.

“I never would have believed this gorgeous sex kitten was lurking beneath those braces and baggy jeans.”

Blushing again at his words Buffy found she couldn’t meet his gaze. “I’m still just me,” she murmured.

Lifting her chin with one finger Spike smiled tenderly down at her. “I know that,” he said quietly, stroking her cheek softly. “I just look into your eyes, and there’s my Buffy.”

“Still love me then?” she asked a little uncertainly.

Spike grinned. “Always.”

**********

A few hours later Spike was walking Buffy home as she espoused on what a success the evening had been for both of them.

“For you absolutely,” Spike agreed in a disheartened tone. “But I’m not so sure about me.”

Buffy’s jaw dropped in shock. “Are you kidding me? Didn’t you see what you did in there tonight?”

Spike frowned. “What do you mean?”

“I mean every girl in that place was practically falling over herself to get your attention.”

“They were?” Spike sounded somewhat doubtful.

“Spike. The girls that sidled up to you at the bar and tried to start a conversation, the girl that accidentally bumped into you and spilled ice water all over the front of her conveniently white blouse, even Faith wanted at you. And I have yet to even mention the girls that just stared longingly from a distance hoping to catch your eye.”

“Really?” Spike said in amazement. “How’d I miss all that?”

Buffy thought about it for a moment before deciding on a theory. “Maybe because you still weren’t really expecting it to happen and so you weren’t looking for it.”

More like because I was staring at you all night, Spike thought, choosing not to share that piece of revealing information. “Mmm,” he murmured, looking down at himself as they approached Buffy’s door and took a seat on the swing outside. “Guess it must be the coat.”

Buffy just laughed at his cluelessness. “It was you silly. The way you walked, talked, the way you stood. Look at you, you’re practically humming with dark intensity.”

“So the whole big bad thing’s working then?” Spike spoke with a low tone, holding her gaze firmly.

Buffy shivered in response. Nodding, she whispered huskily, “It’s working alright.”

“Good.” Spike finally released her from his gaze. “It feels more comfortable then I thought it would. Like it’s a real part of me coming out.”

Buffy smiled. “I know what you mean. I still feel a little awkward sometimes but…this whole process, it’s been kind of liberating.”

For a few minutes they sat staring out into the darkness, lost in their own thoughts.

“Right then,” Spike said, breaking the silence. “I should probably get home. Got a whole ‘nother two blocks ahead of me.” They stood and walked toward the steps.

“Thanks for walking me home. I had a great night.”

“Me too,” Spike agreed, turning to look at her.

A moment passed, then another, as a strange awkwardness settled between them. As if suddenly neither was quite sure what to do next.

Buffy peeked up from beneath lowered lashes to find Spike regarding her silently. His mouth was open, as if he wanted to say something but wasn’t quite sure how.

“This is suddenly weird isn’t it?” she blurted suddenly.

“How do you mean pet?” he asked with a frown.

“This, between us,” she said, pointing between them. “We’ve been best friends for a long time. We’ve been just friends. Then we both go and do our damnedest to become irresistible to the opposite sex. And now…” Her voice trailed off as she found herself unable to say the actual words.

Spike dropped his gaze to his boots, taking a fortifying breath before facing her again. “You feel it too huh?”

Buffy simply nodded, her face flushing a vivid red.

“It’s only natural I suppose,” Spike said matter of factly, trying to ease the sudden tension. “Seeing whole new sides of each other and all.”

“Yeah,” Buffy agreed emphatically. “Only natural.”

Another pause sat between them and pondered for a bit.

“So what do we do?” Spike suddenly asked.

Buffy opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. She gulped. “I don’t know. I can’t deny it would be easy. To just go with it.” Their eyes locked and as she looked into those fiery blue orbs she had to fight to remember what she was going to say. With a monumental effort she looked away. “But,” she continued with determination, “I’m not so sure we should take the easy road. It would be like backing out.”

Spike frowned. “You think we’d just be hiding again. With each other.”

Buffy shrugged. “Maybe.”

“And now that we’ve come so far with the plan you think we should commit to seeing it through. New experiences and all that.”

Buffy nodded, obviously anxious about his reaction. “It’s just that if we didn’t feel this before, I can’t help but wonder if maybe when we get used to each other again it will…I don’t know…go away?”

“Sure. Maybe.” Spike fidgeted with the edge of his coat, hating the discomfort their conversation was causing.

“I just don’t want anything to ruin our friendship because we rushed into something.”

Spike gave one sharp nod of agreement. “Me neither.” He shrugged. “Still friends then?”

Buffy smiled at him, just wanting everything to be okay between them. “Always.”

After a moment they hugged each other tightly, taking comfort in their closeness. When they parted, Spike tweaked Buffy on the nose gently. “’Night pet.”

“Good night Spike.” Buffy watched him walk down the path before turning to enter the house.