Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews everyone. Sorry for the delay in updating. I've run out of reserve chapters so everything is being written from scratch now. Hence the longer time between updates. I really hope you do all stick around to see what happens though. I'm aiming to finish the story before the birth of my baby which is due in 5 weeks so.....I'll be pushing myself to get it done.
Chapter Eight

Spike pulled carefully into a vacant spot in the school’s parking lot and cut the engine. He and Buffy had pooled the last of their money to buy the old black Desoto from Spike’s uncle. It was a rust bucket but it would stop them from having to take the bus to school. Plus, it suited Spike’s new image perfectly. Now they both sat in the car, silently watching as dozens of other students meandered toward the main entrance of the school.

“I guess this is it,” Buffy said quietly.

Spike saw the anxiety she was trying to hide and reached out to grasp her hand. “I guess so.”

Buffy turned to look at him. Her eyes were wide and her bottom lip trembled. “I’m scared.”

Spike smiled, leaning closer to cup her face in his hand. “Me too,” he admitted ruefully. He took a deep breath and held her gaze firmly. “Just remember. We can be as scared as we like, as long as they don’t see it. Walk tall. And if in doubt, flash them that special smile you’ve been using on me for the last two weeks. The one that screams ‘I know something you don’t know’. I’d like to see any male try to resist that.”

He winked at her and Buffy giggled, suddenly feeling better. “Thanks. You know you’re the best friend I’ve ever had.”

“So are you.” Overcome, Spike couldn’t help but plant a quick kiss on her smiling lips. “For good luck,” he explained at her look of surprise. “Now love, let’s get this show on the road.”

They quickly grabbed their bags and got out of the car. Buffy glanced down to check her outfit. She’d gone for sexy but casual in blue hipster jeans that showed off her trim figure to perfection. Her baby blue spaghetti strap top hugged her torso, baring a hint of cleavage and leaving her tanned shoulders and arms bare. Heeled tan boots completed the ensemble. Her softly curled hair cascaded loosely over her shoulders and she’d kept her make-up natural, using a deep pink gloss to make her lips glisten invitingly.

She looked at Spike and was struck anew by the sensual presence that seemed to exude from him now. Sure he looked different, with the black jeans and t-shirt, and the red button down shirt that hung open in front, but it was more than that. He’d changed. He looked self-assured, comfortable with himself. Spike’s eyes blazed with something she’d only glimpsed in William.

They both looked good. She knew it. Now if she could just stop the butterflies that were turning somersaults in her stomach she’d be fine. Walk tall, Spike had said. Chanting those words to herself, Buffy threw back her shoulders, held her head high and began to walk toward the entrance. Spike immediately fell into step beside her, his strides long and proud. Allowing her hips to sway gently Buffy felt the ‘special smile’ Spike had mentioned tugging at her mouth and she gave it free reign. Suddenly all her nervousness fell away. She felt powerful, strong, and she decided then and there that no matter what happened next, she would not let anyone take that feeling away from her.

**********

A little while later Spike sat behind Buffy in their home room while the roll was called. They talked quietly, pretending not to notice the curious looks that were being directed their way. Just as they’d expected, no one had recognized them. That would last exactly as long as it took for the teacher to reach the name–

“…William Giles…”

Spike’s gaze never wavered from Buffy’s as he answered, “That would be me. But it’s Spike now.”

The whispers in the room jumped in volume suddenly as their fellow students reacted with shock. Even the teacher paused to look up briefly, but her quiet ‘Huh’ never registered above the rest of the din. “Quiet down please,” she called loudly, before returning to the role.

Suddenly all eyes were focused on Buffy as everyone began to realize who she must be. Her answer of ‘here’ when the teacher called her name was no longer a surprise so much as it was a confirmation and the whispers set off again.

The reactions were varied. Smiles, curiosity, lust, anger, even jealousy. Through it all Buffy and Spike stayed calm and continued to focus on each other, their eyes alight with delight at the stir they’d caused. By the time they left for their first classes they knew it wouldn’t be long before everyone knew exactly who they were. Then the real chaos would begin.

**********

Buffy was just closing her locker, books for her first class filling her arms, when she felt a presence beside her.

“Hey there gorgeous.”

She turned to find Angel O’Connor watching her avidly. A sexy smile graced his handsome face. “You must be new here. What’s your name?”

For a moment Buffy just stood there in shock. Angel was talking to her, he obviously had no idea who she was, and he was still as gorgeous as he was the last time she’d seen him. Taking a steadying breath she forced herself to stay calm. “Hello Angel,” she said with a flirtatious smile.

His surprise was obvious. “You know who I am?”

“Of course.” She laughed, enjoying the fact that she had him at the disadvantage for once. “Who could possibly tread these halls without hearing about Angel O’Connor?”

“Err…right.” For a brief moment he actually looked uncertain, like he realized she was teasing him and he was trying to figure out the punch line. Then he seemed to shrug off the feeling. “So, then I guess you already know what a fantastic, charming guy I am.”

“Mr O’Connor, are you flirting with me?” She teased coyly, looking up at him from beneath lowered lashes.

“Would you mind if I was?” he smiled, moving a little closer.

Outwardly Buffy shrugged nonchalantly, but inside she was thrilling at his closeness. “No. But I think your girlfriend might have something to say about it.” She thought she saw anger flash in his eyes but just as quickly it was gone.

“Actually I don’t have a girlfriend. I did but, we broke up over the summer.”

“Well now,” she replied, meeting his gaze steadily. “Isn’t that interesting.”

Angel smiled confidently. “Do you need help finding your first class?”

Buffy backed slowly away from him. “Thanks but…I think I know the way.” With that she turned to walk away.

“Wait,” he called after her. “You didn’t tell me your name.”

Buffy paused, twirling to face him once again. “Buffy,” she announced with a grin. “Buffy Summers.” As the inevitable shock found its way over his face she sent him a wink and walked away, hips sashaying cheekily.

**********

Spike was walking down the hall toward his first class, whispers of Angel and Druscilla’s break-up drifting to him from passing students, when he saw Dru heading the other way. She wore a long plum-coloured dress that hugged her form enticingly and her black hair flowed like silk around her shoulders. Seemingly unaware of the attention her recent split was receiving from those around her, she strolled down the hall as if she hadn’t a care in the world.

When their eyes met Dru came to a complete stop in the middle of the hallway, simply watching Spike as he drew closer. He wasn’t sure if she was waiting to speak to him or if she just wondered who he was, but either way Spike’s heart was thudding heavily in his chest. Refusing to be intimidated, he sauntered right up to her, stopping mere inches away. “Hello Dru.”

Her full lips stretched into a smile as her intense gaze inspected him from head to toe. “Who have you become William?”

Surprised, and more than a little pleased, that she was the only person that had recognised him straight off, he simply stated, “Spike.”

“Ah yes.” An odd twinkle appeared in her brown eyes. “I heard that William was gone and I knew that it had finally happened. You’re time has come, my Spike.”

My Spike. Mesmerised, Spike felt a shiver run through him at her words.

“My time?”

“Yes.” she laughed lightly. “All the little apples are yours for the picking.”

“Is that right,” Spike drawled, his head tilting slightly. “What about you love?” Leaning closer he purred into her ear, “If I picked you, would you be ripe?”

He drew back a little, locking eyes with her as he carefully kept their faces close together. Then, just as she almost imperceptibly swayed toward him, he backed off completely and casually walked past her, continuing down the hall.

**********

When Buffy and Spike met up in the cafeteria for lunch the first words out of both their mouths were, “Angel and Dru broke up.” They grinned at each other over their simultaneous statements.

“Angel came up to me at my locker this morning,” Buffy told him excitedly. “He totally had no idea who I was until I told him, it was perfect.”

“That’s…that’s great.”

“Thanks.” Buffy sipped her iced coffee as she watched him out of the corner of her eye. “Have you seen Dru?”

“Yeah. Even spoke to her.”

When he didn’t continue Buffy prodded, “How did that go?”

Remembering their brief exchange Spike’s lips quirked unconsciously. “Good.”

Buffy shifted uncomfortably in her chair. “Good.”

They sat in silence for a while, lost in thought as they ate their lunch. Then Buffy spoke softly. “It’s working isn’t it?”

“Yeah I think so,” Spike agreed. “Just a hell of a lot quicker than we thought it would.”

“That’s for sure.” Buffy nodded emphatically. They avoided eye contact as they each pondered the implications of that statement. “So are we still on for The Bronze tonight?”

Spike grinned. “Absolutely.”