Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi Everyone. Thanks for the reviews. I hope you continue to enjoy the story. Oh yeah, I forgot to thank Brat and sixstringbaby for looking over the last chapter for me pre-post. Thanks guys!
Chapter Nine

Buffy and Spike had decided to meet outside The Bronze again so they could enter the club together. When Spike caught sight of Buffy approaching in her black leather pants and emerald green halter top, her hair in loose messy ringlets, he felt that now familiar thrum run through his body. His jeans suddenly felt too tight and he fought the urge to drag her up against his body, covering her mouth with his.

“Hi Spike,” she greeted.

He was concentrating so hard on keeping his hands to himself that he barely had time to react when she grabbed the lapels of his coat and pulled him down for a light but lingering kiss. When they parted she was grinning impishly. “I like your shirt.” She ran one hand down the midnight blue material covering his chest, drawing away only when she’d reached his tensed stomach muscles.

Spike hissed in sharply, instantly hard and aching for her. “Oh kitten,” he growled. “You are dangerous.”

Buffy giggled, batting her green eyes at him coquettishly. “Why thank you.”

“Shall we?” Placing a hand lightly on the small of her back he led her into the club.

“This time you find us a table and I’ll go get the drinks,” she called over the music.

Spike nodded and began looking for an empty table as Buffy made her way to the bar. She’d just ordered some Cokes when she spotted a familiar redhead standing beside her.

“Willow?” Buffy tapped the girl on the shoulder. When she turned around Buffy opened her arms in welcome. “Hey. I didn’t see you in school today, I wondered where you were. Did you just get back from Germany?”

“Oh hi Buffy,” Willow murmured, allowing herself to be pulled into a hug. “I was at school. We got back on Saturday.”

“Well why didn’t you come say hello?”

Willow blushed furiously and stared at her toes. “You looked kind of busy. I-I didn’t want to interrupt.”

Buffy’s smile faltered. “Willow? What’s wrong?”

Fidgeting nervously Willow shrugged. “You just look so different. I wasn’t sure if you’d want to…umm…” She trailed off, clearly embarrassed, and looked anywhere but at Buffy.

Buffy rolled her eyes at her friend. “Willow don’t be silly. I died my hair, I didn’t get a Cordelia implant.”

Obviously relieved, Willow flushed guiltily. “I’m sorry. I should have known better.”

Buffy shrugged. “It’s no big. Hey, Spike was just finding us a table. You wanna join us?”

Willow nodded and began to follow Buffy through the crowd. “Spike? That’s William right?”

“That was William,” Buffy called back over her shoulder. “He’s all Spike now.”

When they found Spike near the dance floor he and Willow greeted each other warmly. “I couldn’t swing a table,” he told them. “Maybe later.”

For the next few minutes the three friends caught up with each other on the events of the summer. Willow tried to get Buffy and Spike to tell her what had brought about the dramatic changes in them but they just smiled and said they’d felt like a change. Then, as a strong pounding beat began to resonate throughout the room, Buffy’s eyes lit up with excitement.

“Oh I love this song. Willow you have to dance with me.”

Ignoring Willow’s surprised “You dance?” Buffy grabbed her hand and tugged her into the mass of writhing bodies. That feeling of release spread quickly through her body as she easily fell into the movements Faith had taught her a week ago. Willow looked a little taken aback, eyes wide with shock, but then she just shook her head with a laugh and happily joined in.

Before long Buffy’s eyes wandered over to where Spike had been standing, eager to feel his heated gaze. A small frown marred her forehead when he wasn’t there. Head swivelling, Buffy searched for him amid the crowd.

“Buffy what’s wrong?”

“Did you see where Spike went?” she asked.

Willow grinned and pointed to the upstairs balcony. When Buffy looked up she saw Spike and Druscilla standing close together, apparently deep in conversation. Her stomach dropped and her steps faltered, causing her to almost fall over. Thankfully Willow grabbed her arm to help steady her.

“Are you okay,” she asked anxiously.

Buffy quickly plastered a bright smile on her face and nodded at her friend. “Yeah. I’m fine.” She took a deep breath and continued dancing, trying to ease the thumping of her heart. What is my problem? she asked herself incredulously. This was the goal all along. To get noticed. And for Spike that meant getting noticed by Dru. She’d known this would happen. So why do I hate it so much? A pang of guilt joined the tumultuous emotions already swirling inside her. This is ridiculous, she admonished herself. This is what he wants and he deserves to be happy. And so, though her heart still ached, she turned her back toward the balcony, and tried to just enjoy her dance with Willow.

A little while later a hand trailed down Buffy’s bare back and she spun around in surprise to find Angel grinning down at her. “Hey Buffy.”

“Hi,” she replied with a smile.

Sliding his arm around her waist he leaned closer. “Dance with me.”

Buffy glanced hopefully at Willow, who smiled and mouthed ‘go for it’ before disappearing into the crowd.

Turning back into Angel’s arms Buffy allowed him to draw her close as they began to move together. Tentatively she placed her arms around his neck, following his lead as he dipped and swayed to the music. Before long she found herself relaxing into his embrace, enjoying the upbeat tempo and the simple pleasure of being held in a man’s arms.

**********

Spike had been lost in the brown pools of Druscilla’s eyes from the moment she approached him. As he’d followed her up the stairs to the darkness of the balcony he’d felt like a moth being drawn inexorably toward a searing flame. Too close and he’d be consumed.

She talked in riddles that he couldn’t understand and yet they fascinated him. He found himself wanting to probe the depths of her mind, to seek the insights he knew were hidden behind the beauty of her face.

“Your sunshine is getting into a tangle,” Dru said suddenly.

“Who?” Spike asked, confused.

Dru was staring at the dance floor below and Spike followed her gaze until it landed on Buffy. With Angel.

He could see Angel’s large hands clasped around Buffy’s waist, holding her close. Their bodies were moving together in sensuous harmony. The lust on Angel’s face made it clear what he wanted to do to her and she was obviously revelling in his attention.

Spike didn’t realise how hard he was clenching the railing in front of him until he felt one of Dru’s soft hands cover his. Dragging his eyes from the scene below he met her gaze, frowning at the amusement he saw there.

Taking her hand he led her down the steps and onto the dance floor. Ignoring the pop music that was playing he slid his arms around her and moved in a slow, smooth rhythm. Dru seemed to enjoy his divergence from the rest of the dancers and pressed herself eagerly against him. Spike felt himself harden at the feel of her soft curves, closing his eyes to relish the feel of having the woman that had intrigued him for so long in his arms. When he opened them again he found his gaze drawn to Buffy and was surprised when he saw her looking back at him. Their gazes locked for several long moments as currents of confused discomfort passed between them. Disconcerted, they each turned quickly back to their dance partners, holding on a little tighter to the person in their arms.

**********

Buffy had just emerged from the bathroom when she ran into Spike.

“Buffy,” he greeted.

“Spike,” she replied.

The tension that had sprung up earlier made them both uneasy.

“Have you had a good night?”

“Yeah. You?”

He nodded.

“I was going to come find you?”

“Yeah?” he asked with a smile. “Why’s that love?”

“Umm, I’m going to get going. Angel’s offered to drive me home.”

“Oh. Okay.”

They both fell silent, looking everywhere but at each other.

“Well, I hope you have a good time with Dru.”

“Yeah, thanks.”

“Goodnight Spike.” Unsure what to do next Buffy gave him a quick, hard hug and left to find Angel.

“’Night love,” he whispered to her retreating back.

**********

“Thanks for driving me home Angel,” Buffy said as he walked her to her front door.

“No problem.” His look was heated and she knew he had every intention of kissing her goodnight. Her heart raced in a mixture of excitement and fear at the prospect.

“Go out to dinner with me tomorrow night.”

Caught off guard Buffy was left speechless as she broke out into a brilliant smile. She’d just been asked out on her first date.

“Hello? Buffy?”

Realising she’d been staring at him like a giddy fool for at least a minute Buffy blushed. “Sorry. I mean…yes. I’d love to.”

“Great.”

“Well, I’d better get inside,” she said, though she made no move to open the door.

Moving closer he wrapped his arms around her. “Buffy,” he murmured, before his mouth descended on hers hungrily.

Buffy returned his kiss eagerly, waiting for the melty feeling she knew would come. She parted her lips slightly and his tongue dove between them. She made a ‘eep’ of surprise, which he seemed to take as a sound of pleasure as he clasped her yet tighter, groaning and rubbing his crotch against her. She wondered absently if this was how Spike had felt when she’d gotten a little tongue-happy last night. Choking was definitely the right word.

When Angel finally let her go she resolutely resisted the urge to wipe her mouth. His eyes were glazed with passion as he looked at her, and he seemed to believe she was similarly affected.

“Good night gorgeous,” he whispered huskily before turning to head for his car. Stifling a giggle Buffy quickly unlocked the door and went inside.

As she got ready for bed Buffy pondered the events of the evening. She’d enjoyed catching up with Willow and dancing with Angel. Plus, she was excited about her date tomorrow night, despite the less than satisfying kiss they’d shared. But despite her best efforts her mind kept returning to one question. What is Spike doing right now?

**********

Spike tore his mouth from Druscilla’s in an attempt to catch his breath as her hands roamed his body. They were parked in front of her house, where he’d been about to offer to walk her to her door when she’d pounced on him.

Now she was panting heavily in his ear. “Touch me Spike,” she whispered as she took one of his hands and placed it upon her breast. Spike groaned, succumbing to her kiss once again as his fingered flexed around the firm mound. His whole body was throbbing for her, but at the same time he felt like he was suffocating. This wasn’t how it was supposed to happen. It was too much and he couldn’t think.

When he felt her nimble fingers tugging on the zipper of his jeans and knew that if he didn’t stop now he’d be completely lost. “Dru…wait,” he gasped, clutching at her hands to still their progress. “Stop.”

Dru leaned closer, licking and nibbling on his neck when he wouldn’t let go of her hands. “What’s wrong my Spike?”

“This is just…it’s not…” He set her firmly away from him, taking deep breathes in order to regain some control over his rioting senses. “You deserve better than this.”

Dru giggled. “Better than what?”

“Than doing this in a car ten feet from your parent’s house.” Spike gave an exasperated sigh. “Let me take you out. We can spend some time together. Get to know each other.”

For a moment Dru looked like she would argue with him. Then she suddenly jerked into an upright position. “Alright. We’ll play your game lovely.”

“Right. Okay then.” Relieved, Spike quickly got out of the car and walked around to open her door. “Come on love, I’ll walk you to your door.”

As he began the short drive home a few minutes later Spike was plagued by thoughts of Angel driving Buffy home. Images flooding his mind of Angel kissing her, touching her the way he’d been touching Dru. Spike didn’t notice his knuckles turn white as his grip on the steering wheel tightened.