Chapter 3 – A Little Magick



The scoobies sat in the quad, discussing the recent disaster which was now known through out the town. “I don’t like this! This is a slayer thing that only the slayer and friends should know!” Xander stated, annoyed at how it seemed everyone was in the loop.

“Xander, the town has a right to know! After all, they were kids.” Willow stated, snuggling against Oz. Oz put his arm out her protectively, claimer her as is.

“Still, it’s demon stuff right? We keep the demon stuff secret!”

“Well you’re sure as hell telling everyone with your loud yapping.” Cordelia stated as she took her seat next to him.

“Well, if it isn’t my worst nightmare!”

“Buffy, what do you think?” Willow asked as she tossed a glance at her unusually quiet friend. Buffy smiled to herself as she thought of the past nights events. “Buffy?”

“Oh Buffster? Care to join us?” Buffy looked up at them.

“Oh, well, um. I got to go. Talk to Giles. I’ll see you guys at the Bronze?” Xander sighed as she stood. “Sorry guys. Not a lot of sleep and you know what that means. No sleep and Buffy are unmixy things.” The scoobies waved their good byes as she left.

Buffy pushed open the doors to the library to find Giles rummaging through books. “Find anything?”

“Afraid not. It seems Willow has the book that I’m looking for. Do you mind getting it from her?” Buffy flopped down on the table, crossing her legs as she fiddled with the ring which Angel had given her. She pulled it off, looking at it. Sighing, she placed the ring in her purse. “What’s the matter?”

“Last night I went down to the park to light a candle for the kids and Spike was there.” Giles placed down the book and walked over to her, taking off his glasses and polishing them.

“And?”

“And, well, is it ok if I think that maybe Spike might be a good guy only with out a soul?” she asked. Giles put on his glasses, taking a deep breath.

“I don’t think so. Buffy, last year, how many times did he try to kill you? And how many slayers has he killed? And you think he’s good?”

“Well, he was nice last night. He didn’t try to kill me once and he told me about his past and even my mom trusts him and she doesn’t trust a lot of people!”

“Listen Buffy. Why don’t you go get that book because we have to deal with this first. Then we’ll talk about Spike.” Buffy pouted but gave in, jumping up off the table.

“Ok, but we’re going to continue our discussion later.”


~Town Meeting~
Buffy walked around the filled room. Everyone was there, holding candles or signs with the children’s faces reading ‘Never Again’. Her mother had told her no one would come but she had been wrong. Her mother had rallied the whole town together! “This is bloody wrong. Sunnydale’s ‘posed to be the town that you could get away with stuff!” Buffy turned around to find Spike smiling. She hit him playfully on the arm.

“Bad boy! Remember, we’re paying homage to the deceased.” Spike nodded, wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling her towards his body.

“How can I be a good boy when you look like that,” he whispered into her ear. He smiled as he felt her shiver. He swayed with her, taking in the sent of her hair. Buffy looked down at herself, not understanding why. She was wearing some old jean overalls with a blue shirt yet somehow he found her intriguing.

“Buffy! I was looking all over for you and I- Spike?” Willow asked, motioning to Spikes arms which were wrapped around Buffy’s waist. He quickly pulled away, letting his hands linger on her belt buckle, hooking his thumb through the belt loop, claiming her as his.

“’Ey Red. What’s new?”

“You and Buffy together are new!” Willow smiled, turning towards Buffy. “Are you together?” Buffy felt her cheeks turn red, she bowed her head, hoping Willow wouldn’t notice.

“No Red, we’re not. We’re just, mortal enemies with benefits,” he said, smiling a wicked grin. Buffy slapped him gently, causing him to look down at her. “What love? It’s not really a secret anymore, with your mum knowing and all.”

“Citizens of Sunnydale. Thank you for coming here today. This has been a terrible time for our town. So I stand here with this sign and read these words aloud. Never Again. You all being here shows me what a caring, wonderful town you are. Now, I turn this over to woman who brought us all here tonight. Joyce Summers,” the Mayer said, a fake frown plastered on his face. The crowd clapped as Buffy’s mother took the stand.

“Thank you all again for coming. But I must disagree with you Mayer. We are not a good town. This town is an evil town. How many times have we lost a love one or someone died from a mysterious death? I was supposed to lead us in a moment of silence but silence is our disease. This town isn’t ours. It belongs to the vampires, the witches, and the slayers. I think it’s time for the grown ups to take Sunnydale back.” Many cried in aggrence and applause. Buffy backed into Spike, who in turn held her shoulders to him. He couldn’t help but growl low in his throat. Buffy felt him shake, as he was trying to keep control. His faced morphed, changing his eyes to yellow. Buffy turned around and pulled his head down to her level.

“Keep the lumpies in check!” she whispered, running her fingertips over his forehead. He swallowed hard, gaining control again. “Remember, that was my mom you were going all growly at.”

“I think I got a bloody right! This town doesn’t belong to vampires! And she ‘it me on the ‘ead! Remember?” Buffy nodded.

“Yea, but you were trying to kill me. Her only daughter, remember?” Spike rolled his eyes and smiled.

“Alright. So, what do you want to do?” Spike asked, pulling her towards him again. Willow watched the two in awe. How could Buffy like Spike? Not only was he her mortal enemy but Angel was back! Hell, she had kept him a secret from everyone for over two weeks but now she was going all goo goo eyed for Spike.

“Um, guys, still standing here!”


~Next Day~
~Quad~

“Hey Xander, have you seen Willow?” Buffy asked as she walked over to where Xander was sitting.

“Why do you all think I know where she is? I don’t always know where she is. It’s not like I fallow her or anything! Why do you all think that? Is this punishment?” Xander looked up at the startled Buffy.

“Well, you made with the smoochies so yes, this is what you get. Are those her books?” Buffy pointed to the piled books that where perched on the table. Xander nodded.

“Yea, she’s in the bathroom,” stated Xander as he smiled sheepishly. Buffy nodded, while shifting through her books, looking for the spell book which Giles needed. As Willow emerged from the bathroom, Buffy picked up her open notebook. On the page was drawn a symbol. The symbol that had lain upon the bodies of the kids.

“Willow, what is this?”

“It’s a doodle. I do doodle you know!”

“It’s the symbol that was found on the kids!” Just then, a commotion sounded from the hall. Willow grabbed her books and the three of them went to see what is was about. There, police and Principal Snyder were doing locker checks. “What are they looking for?” Buffy asked Amy who stood next to her.

“Witch stuff. They already found my stuff in my locker. I have to report to the principals’ office.”

“Shit! I have playboys in my locker!” Willow turned to Buffy after Snyder pulled Amy out of the crowd.

“Buffy! I have stuff in my locker! The symbol is harmless. Amy, Michael, and I were using it to make a protection spell for your birthday. Well, now that you know about it, it’s broken so Happy Birthday!”

“Hello? Turn the sympathy over here! Playboy’s in locker!”

“Miss Rosenburg. In my office.” Snyder held two bags of wolfs bane in his hand. Willow turned to Buffy, pleading with her eyes. Buffy took both the notepad and spell book from her, saving her from anymore trouble, sending her on her way.