Author's Chapter Notes:
anyone reading Silently Broken, don't forget it was updated yesterday--I forgot to send out the update emails so some might have missed it :)

Thank you to everyone reviewing this...and sorry if the time jumps are a little confusing...I hope thngs will be clearer for you soon

And remember that this story is 'half set' in 1963 ;-)
added a/n at the bottom explaining
Chapter Six

Buffy and Amy talked for over an hour after that, catching up on everything that had happened in each other's lives over the last several years and all about their current lives. They finally hung up after promising to keep in touch from then on.

After her conversation with Amy, Buffy decided to work on putting together her outfit for the first day of school—it was the day after tomorrow after all. She never understood why they insisted on starting school so early. August was when Southern California was at its hottest and they were forced to be in school and concentrate? It just didn't work. But she was getting off topic, sure she could rant on and on about the evils of the public school system and its administrators, but she had better things to do.

She had an outfit to pick out.


"Buffy, honey, it's time for dinner. Come on, you've been up there for hours," Joyce coaxed when her daughter didn't immediately pop out of her room.

"But I can't. School starts on Friday-"

"It's only Wednesday now."

"And I still don't know what I'm going to wear. Plus, I have to have a great outfit for next Thursday when William comes back. I can't use my best outfit on Friday, but I can't look bad either."

"Buffy, you're not going to look bad and William is going to be so happy to see you that he won't care what you're wearing, so don't worry about that. And you've always looked great for your first days, don't worry."

"Maybe he'll be happy, but it's the first time he's seeing me in months, I want to look good enough that when he looks back on it, he'll think 'God, Buffy looked great that day.'"

"Buffy," Joyce said in her best 'mom' voice, "Come eat dinner and then I'll help you decide on what to wear on Friday and when William gets back, okay?"

:"Yeah, I guess," Buffy said begrudgingly.

They ate dinner, taking much longer than Buffy would have liked and finally—at least to Buffy it was worth of a 'finally'—they returned upstairs.

"See, the problem is," Buffy held up two mini skirts, "This is my favorite one," she indicated the red one, "and it'd be great for the whole first day back thing, but William also told me he likes it. So that leaves my second favorite," the blue one this time. "But I'm not sure how much everyone else will like it, it's ordinary and someone else will probably be wearing it too."

"What about that shirt my friend brought you back from Spain? No one will have that." Joyce hoped she was helping Buffy.

"Ooh, thank you!" Buffy rushed over and tackled her mother in a hug, nearly knocking her over in the process. "I knew you'd figure it out," Joyce didn't care to correct her on how she'd actually been fairly reluctant to accept the help.


August 1st

The first day of school had been fairly uneventful: reconnecting with friends—both Willow and Xander had returned the day before, finding where classes were located and the quickest route, and finding out who you shared what classes with.

That last part had been the one Buffy was most worried about; she was worried that she and Angel—or worse, she and William and Angel—would have classes together. But fairly luckily, they only had one class together—P.E. last period—the bad part of it was that all three of them had the class together. That was going to be fun.

Now Buffy just had to make it through tomorrow and then she'd have the weekend.

Then next Thursday…next Thursday William was coming home.






August 8

Buffy ran to the cafeteria as soon as the bell rang and stopped in the doorway to look for William. When she spotted him she decided it was a good thing she'd given herself her little pep talk; Cordelia was talking to him. Deciding she couldn't care less what the other girl did, she yelled his name and started running again, this time a bit slower to dodge the people.

Buffy was out of breath by the time she reached William. She was a bit nervous as he was still talking to Cordelia, or rather he was listening to Cordelia. As she tried to explain to him how Buffy and Angel had been going steady over the summer. And how she was terribly sorry for him. But, of course, if he ever needed anyone, she'd be there for him.

She was about ready to panic when he didn't even turn to look at her, never once taking his eyes off of Cordelia and her excited ramblings, but she calmed immediately when he silently, with no other movements, reached over and took her hand in his, rubbing his thumb along her hand soothingly.

She relaxed and waited to see what William was planning for Cordelia, who hadn't noticed his little action.

"And of course," Cordelia went on, paying no mind to Buffy who was now there, "None of us ever saw them out and about, but you know what that means…" she trailed off.

"No, I don't know what that means, Cordelia," William said dangerously.

"It means," she faltered for the first time in the 'conversation', "Well you know what it means," she finished uncomfortably, looking around nervously.

"Well, what it sounds like to me…it sounds like you're calling my girl a bit of a floozy…something that I don't take too kindly to."

Cordelia was fully worried now, Spike, as he was quite often called, could be a scary guy when he wanted to be. "I'm just repeating what everybody's been saying. What's it they say? 'Don't shoot the messenger'?" She really thought she'd be able to get to him—maybe there was still hope. Maybe.

"Who's everyone?" Okay, so maybe she didn't have so much of a chance.

"Um, well you see, there's um...well there's Angel and," she thought for a moment, "Really it's just Angel I guess, but it's not like Buffy'd go around spreading the word," she hastily added.




TBC...Please review

added a/n: I think my 'half/sort-of set' idea is confusing people...basically I used the mindset/mentality from 1963 (or what I'm guess it was since I can't exactly remember it)...but inclufing things like cell phones to keep it present as well.....es, I am weird and incredibly confusing sometimes, I hope this doesn't get in the way of anyone enjoying the story....if it does, just pretend it's set now and they just like to talk and act a little funny sometimes ;-)