Author's Chapter Notes:
(I updated this about a few minutes after i did ch. 23... so you might have missed that chapter)
Get ready... it's the last chapter...

Song's "No Day, but Today" ... again, another song in Rent. I really love that musical.

Chapter 24

She fell back against the soft mattress of her familiar bed and closed her eyes to shut out the chilling world. The day had been long and the people had been painful. Now, she just wanted to rest. Her heart was aching with the weight of the world and her eyes were dry of tears.

As she curled up and buried her head into her fresh pillow, she felt an arm snake around her waist and smiled as she felt the familiar chest press up against her back. She breathed in his familiar scent – leather, smoke, and cologne - wonderful. His warm breath tickled the back of her neck and she giggled.

“How’s my favorite girl?” his voice was teasing and he kissed her shoulder. She twisted around in his arms so she could look into his bright eyes, glittering in the darkness. His lips were curled up in a relaxed smile.

“You’re really here,” she murmured before leaning up to kiss him gently on the lips. “I thought I lost you for good.”

He shushed her. “Never, love. I’ll never leave you.”

“But you did,” a small tear fell from her eye as she gazed longingly at him. “You’re gone… and I don’t want you to be gone. I need you.”

“None of that,” he whispered, wiping the tear away. “I’ll always be here.” He pressed a hand over her heart. “Right in here. Forever.”

She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer to her, never wanting to let him go. “I’m so sorry, Spike. I’m so, so, so sorry,” she sobbed into his chest, wetting his shirt but she didn’t care.

“Shh… it’s okay, kitten,” he soothed her, rubbing circles on her back, “you have nothing to be sorry for.”

“But I was so,… I never told you I love you,” she grasped his shirt tightly, bunching it in her hands. “I never told you how much you meant to me, and you were so good to me. I don’t deserve you… I don’t deserve this. I should be hurting right now, and I love you so much, and you were so good… you loved me so much. And I never told you how – “

He put a finger up against her lips.

“I know, pet,” he said. “You didn’t have to tell me for me to know. I could see it when you looked at me, I could feel it. I love you. Love you more than anything.”

“And I just let you go,” she didn’t listen to him. “I just let you climb out my window and I let you leave and it’s all my fault – “

“Stop it,” he said, harshly, pulling her away so he could look into her eyes. “I’ve hummed to your piddy diddy long enough and it’s time for me to hold the mic now, okay?”

She nodded mutely.

“It. was. not. your. fault,” he said slowly, emphasizing every word. “If anything, it was the bloody maniac who swerved into my lane, okay? Bloody Americans who don’t know how to drive.” He chuckled a little and ran a hand through her hair. “You could ram a thousand Mac trucks through me and I would still love you. It was inevitable, love. Do you understand? You had nothing to do with it. Is that clear?”

She snuggled closer and nodded her head. “Okay,” she said, her voice muffled against him.

“Good,” he held her close to him and rocked her back and forth.

“What happens next, Spike?” she asked, quietly. “What happens when I wake up and you’re gone again?”

“Don’t think about that, Buffy,” he kissed her forehead. “Don’t think about the future right now. Or the past. Just think about this. Us. At this exact moment. It’s all that matters.”

The heart may freeze or it can burn
The pain will ease if I can learn
There is no future, there is no past
I live this moment as my last


“Okay,” she smiled at him and kissed him gently on the lips. “I love you.”

“I love you, too,” he grinned, tracing her face with his finger. “So bloody much.” He cupped her face in his hands and leaned in to press his lips against hers. “No regrets, baby?”

She giggled and nuzzled her cheek against his palm, sighing contentedly. “None. Not when you’re right here in my arms.”

There's only us, there's only this
Forget regret, or life is yours to miss
No other road, no other way
No day but today


They walked along the beach, hand in hand, arms swinging freely. The sky was clear and the moon shone in all its glory with the stars twinkling happily around it. The night breeze danced playfully around them, lifing their hair up and billowing their shirts out.

It was a night for lovers.

“Remember this?” Spike asked, suddenly twirling her out. She laughed and spun back to him.

“Yeah,” she jumped into his arm and he lifted her over his head. They both fell back in a burst of laughter. “How could I forget?”

“Never forget,” he grinned, pulling her up and running with her down the shore until they reached their special boulder.

He held out a single white orchid and presented it to her with a bow.

“For my lovely lady,” he smirked and she smacked his chest, taking the orchid in her hand and tip-toeing up for a kiss.

“It’s beautiful,” she said against his lips.

“It better be,” he put his arm loosely around her waist. “Only the best for my girl.”

There's only us, only tonight
We must let go to know what's right
No other course, no other way
No day but today

No day but today


“I love you,” she told him again. “I love you, I love you, I love you.”

“And I love you,” he said it back and held her close.

They kissed and stared into each other’s eyes, smiling blissfully, both imprinting the memory forever in their hearts.
…………

The sun rose and Buffy slowly woke up. As she opened her eyes, she remembered her dream and sadly sighed. She rolled to her side and something caught her eye.

She lifted her head, confused.

Then she smiled, seeing a lovely white orchid lying on the pillow next to her.

I love you…



THE END


A/N: Wow... finally. It ended. I know this last chapter was a bit surreal... i intertwined her dream with reality... but hey, i'm an author - i can take that liberty.

For those who don't understand it. it was a dream ... of sorts. It kind of suggests that their spirits were really together and that he would always be with her. That's why she saw the white orchid next to her pillow when she woke up. it was to provide a sense of reality in the 'dream'.

It also gives me enough room to write a sequel. I'm not sure if i will, but it'd definately a possibility. And if i do... i promise it'll be happy.

I'd like to thank everyone who stuck with me... this is the first long fic that i actually finished.

I'm sad to see it end,.... but hey... now i can work on finishing my other work! Yay!

Tell me what you thought, what you think i could improve on, etc.