Author's Chapter Notes:
Panta_Rei again! You guys have been awesome with reviewing--please keep it up. ;) Enjoy the chapter!
Chapter 6


Giles hadn’t managed to get William to talk in his own voice yet. He’d tried several different things, but William had always insisted that he needed to ‘stay in character’.

He’d attempted to get him to explain more about the play, but William was very tight lipped about it, leading him to worry even more.

“So, William, how is it you met this friend that you’re helping with the play? I mean, Montana’s a fairly random place.”

Apparently avoiding the older man’s questions wasn’t going to fly tonight. Carefully, he thought about how to lie the least and yet still answer the question.

“Met her in a bar one night, she was, uh…she was going over her lines. Heard the horrid excuse of an accent she had and questioned her about it. Not much of a story, I’m afraid.”

“There has to be something to it,” Giles pushed. “Had she been in the country long?”

William didn’t know what Rupert was getting at but he was starting to get worried.

“Not really sure, mate. Think it was just about a few weeks. Ever been to London, luv?” Spike gave up his ‘avoiding Buffy’ plan in the face of his half brother’s interrogation.

“I haven’t, actually,” Buffy answered, still smiling shyly. “I thought about it after I graduated, but…just never got there. Is it nice?”

And this wasn’t a good plan either!

He already thought that she was the single sexiest woman he’d ever had the privilege of talking to, but now? Now he thought that she was utterly adorable and absolutely beautiful as well. He was just getting himself in deeper and deeper by the minute.

“Haven’t spent all that much time there myself,” he answered carefully. “But from what I’ve seen it’s a great place. Has all the city stuff people like, great touristy bits, and some historical things as well. Bit of everything really.”

Buffy could have sworn he was trying to end the conversation but that was crazy because he’s asked in the first place. It was crazy…wasn’t it?

Buffy decided to find out for certain, “You grew up where exactly, William?”

“Leeds in West Yorkshire.”

“Is that far from London?”

“Few hours.”

“Oh, well, do you think,” And this was really pushing it, “You could maybe tell me what are some good things to see in London? Or, you know, if you’re back there whenever I go, show me around some?”

Oh, God. This was the wrong thing to do. Now he was entertaining thoughts of showing Buffy around London. Of why they’d be there together in the first place. God, he was pathetic.

“Yeah, think I could do that. Would be nice.” Just how nice, he wasn’t about to let on.

“Were you thinking of going to London, Buffy?” Joyce asked her daughter. Buffy hadn’t expressed any real desire to travel before.

“Well, Giles is from around there…and it’s London….and you know, now that William’s around, too.” Buffy knew she’d been caught in her little fib.

“I just didn’t expect you to be so interested,” Joyce commented.

“Well, I am.” She was trying not to get grumpy but whenever she was in danger of being embarrassed, Buffy did just that.

Nothing much was said as they all four finished dinner, Joyce and Giles talked about a few neighborhood things and about the dinner party their friend Sheila had thrown the week before, but Buffy and Spike were nearly silent for the remainder.


When Joyce started to pick up the dishes after their meal, Rupert decided it was time to act.

“Don’t worry about that. William and I will take care of it; it’ll give us a chance to talk.”

“We can’t expect him to do the dishes!” Joyce sounded truly affronted. “He’s a guest.”

”Really, Joyce, it’s no trouble. Rupert’s right; it’ll give us a chance to talk, catch up and all.” Though he wasn’t sure just how much they could ‘catch up’ given that they didn’t know each other at all.

“Well, if you’re sure,” she answered uncertainly.



They’d been silently washing the dishes—apparently silence was a big thing for Spike tonight—for several minutes when the older man spoke up.

“I’m sorry we didn’t invite you over before this,” Giles apologized the best he could. “I should have gotten in contact with you sooner.”

“Don’t worry about it, Rupes. It’s not like we grew up together—or even knew each other. This is more than a lot would do. I appreciate it.”

”Joyce said the same thing, but still I feel…you will stay awhile, though, won’t you?”

‘Yeah,’ Spike thought, ‘I’ll go sleep in that house with your daughter and try to stop myself from spending every waking minute dreaming of shagging her.’

“Maybe ‘til I can find a flat. Wouldn’t want to overstay my welcome.”

“You won’t. You’re welcome as long as you wish. And I’m sure you and Buffy will have a great time together.”

If only he knew.

“I’m sure we will too. Buffy seems like a nice girl.”

“She truly is. Granted she’s not biologically my daughter but I love her as if she were.”

Why did Spike get the feeling Rupert was pulling a bit of the ‘protective father’ act with him?

“How, uh, how long have you and Joyce been together?”

”About eight years, since Buffy was about eleven. Her father was really a no good son of a bitch.”

Spike would have laughed at the statement, but he could see how much his brother meant it.

“Good they’ve got you now, then.”

“I try,” was all Giles said. “So, you’ll stay? At least for a while? I know Joyce would be disappointed if you left. She’s acting like she’s found herself a son.”

“Noticed that a bit,” William joked. “I promise to stay a while. But I’m going to talk with Buffy before I decide how long. Make sure that she’s actually okay with me basically invading her home.”

“I’m sure she won’t mind. It’s a big place.”

Spike couldn’t tell him that the real reason that he wasn’t committing yet to staying. In all actuality, he needed to see if he was capable of living in such close quarters with the girl.

Being only a matter of feet away from her wasn’t going to give him much opportunity to, well, to call her.

It sounded stupid when put that way. He was going to be sleeping feet away from his girl every night and he was worrying that he wouldn’t be able to call her.

“Still think I’d like to ask her. Buffy’s a nice girl and I wouldn’t want to put her out in any way. I’ll talk to her about it tonight.”

Neither noticed that William had slipped back into his own voice during the conversation.

Nor did they notice that Buffy had been sent to see if they needed any help.

Neither noticed her standing in the doorway, a look of shock and fear on her face.