“So big date tonight?” Dawn asked between mouthfuls of chips as she plopped down on her sister’s bed ignoring the warning look she got for snacking on the bed.



“No.” Buffy turned back to the mirror and continued primping. “They’ve actually instated a formal dress code for patrolling. It was kind of hard to get the vamps to agree, but…”



“Very funny.” Her brown eyes rolled towards the ceiling. “Now, why don’t you tell me about what you and Spike plan on doing tonight?”



“Who said I’m going out with Spike?” she asked but the smile reflected in the mirror assured Dawn she was right.



“Well, actually Spike told me,” Dawn replied. “He seemed sort of happy today, so I asked him what was going on.”



“Should have known I couldn’t keep anything from my nosey sister,” the Slayer teased.



“I’m not nosey!” She shot her sister’s reflection a hurt look. “I can’t help it you came up in conversation. I’m glad you’re actually treating him like a person and not a disaster waiting to happen.”



“Yeah, well, I haven’t forgotten the wish,” she sighed turning from the mirror, “but he’s been trying so hard, and I think we could both use a night off.”



“Yeah, he did seem a little stressed out,” she agreed. “More than the normal human stressed out thing.”



“What do you mean?” she asked, suddenly serious, recalling their encounter in the cemetery and the mysterious aches and pains in the training room. She had just chalked it up to his new mortality. Had Dawn noticed something too? If she had, maybe they had discovered the wish’s side effect.



“Well, he was probably just tired,” she answered. Buffy’s tone made her nervous. All she wanted was for Buffy to give Spike a chance to be normal. Now that she was actually giving in, she didn’t want to spoil it.



“What happened, Dawn?” she pushed crossing her arms over her chest and tapping her foot impatiently.



“It probably wasn’t anything,” the girl insisted. “We were just talking, and he got quiet for a minute. When I asked him what was wrong, he sort of forgot my name.”



“Forgot your name?” That definitely didn’t sound like Spike. He adored the Slayer’s little sister. He wouldn’t forget her name—unless something was causing him to.



“I’m sure it’s nothing,” she added quickly noticing how worried Buffy looked. “He’s been through a lot lately. Maybe he’s sick or something. Maybe we should take him to the doctor.”



“You’re right. It’s probably nothing,” she agreed with her best fake smile. It did seem like he was sick, but taking him to the doctor just wasn’t an option. How would they explain it? Tell the doctor that they thought he was having an adverse reaction to being human? Besides, they didn’t have the money for a doctor. “I’ll mention something to Anya tomorrow. Maybe she’ll have an idea.”



“So where are you guys going tonight?” Dawn changed the subject. She hadn’t meant to worry Buffy when she had seemed so happy.



“You know,” she looked thoughtful for a moment, “I really don’t know. I doubt he has any money. I hope it’s not kitty poker again.”



“Kitty what?” she looked confused.



“Never mind,” Buffy sighed.





***





Spike gave his reflection a huge smile as he adjusted his red shirt over his shoulders. He hadn’t felt this happy since that night they had literally brought the house down. It was only a date, but it was a step in the right direction. He only hoped that he managed to pull it off. It wasn’t like he made a habit of dating. The closest he had gotten was an evening in with Dru with a young girl chained to the wall waiting to become the evening meal. Somehow, he didn’t think the Slayer would be impressed.



He had felt like an idiot taking dating advice from a teenager, but he hoped Dawn’s suggestions worked. She knew her sister better than anyone.



He gave his reflection on last inspection. He never really cared about his appearance—perhaps that was due to the lack of a reflection for the last 120 years. Every platinum hair was in place, his blue eyes sparkled with excitement, and…and when did he get those creases at the corners of his eyes?





***







“I was beginning to think that you were going to stand me up,” Buffy teased as her date finally descended the stairs.



“And miss our first date? Sorry, luv, can’t get out of it that easily.” He gave her a playful smirk to cover up his nervousness. It was bad enough his heart was racing like a schoolboy’s, and having Dawn grinning at him like a Cheshire cat wasn’t helping matters. Looking away from the girl before he wore a matching goofing grin, he focused his attention on pulling on his duster.



“So are we ready?” Buffy asked sounding rather nervous herself.



“Whenever you are, luv,” he reached out to take her hand, but then motioned towards the door instead. He’d let her make the first move, even on something as small as holding hands. He wasn’t going to screw up this time.



“Would you guys go already!” Dawn laughed. “You’re going to be late.”



“Late?” Buffy eyed her sister suspiciously. “Is there something you’re not telling me?”



“Yes,” she replied, “and that’s all I’m telling you.”



Buffy sighed as she shrugged her jacket over her shoulders. Dawn was giving her one of her patented difficult teenager looks. She wasn’t going to be letting her sister in on the secret any time soon. “Are you sure you’ll be alright by yourself?”



“I’ll be fine,” she replied pushing her sister and the ex-vampire towards the door. “Willow will be home soon, and Xander’s number is by the phone. Now go!”



“I don’t think we’ll be getting back in there any time soon,” Spike observed as the door quickly swung shut behind them.



“And mom always said I was the pushy one,” Buffy laughed following Spike down the porch steps towards the Desoto parked in the front of the house. It was odd to see it, not only because he had taken to riding the motorcycle, but also because the once blackened windows were now clear. “I don’t suppose you’ll tell me where we’re going?”



“Sorry, pet,” he grinned as he swung the car door open for his date. “That stays a surprise until we get there.”



She settled back against the car seat as Spike rounded the front of the car and slid into the driver’s seat. The fact that their date was turning into some little conspiracy wasn’t making her feel overly comfortable. “You’ve been busy today,” she motioned towards the windshield.



“Yeah, a little,” he replied starting the engine. “The Bit helped me clean ‘em up a bit.”



“You got Dawn to clean?” she laughed. “Maybe you should stick around.”