Author's Chapter Notes:
I would have posted this chapter tomorrow, but I'll be going to New York and I wanted to get it in before then. I figured you guys have waited long enough. Well, still hoping you're interested. Wish me luck for tomorrow, I hate flying. Hope you like the chapter=)
Chapter 10

“I’ll be staying with Riley, just until I can get a place of my own.”

“You could always stay with me.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “I don’t think we’re quite there yet.”

Spike grinned sheepishly. “You can’t blame a bloke for trying. So, does this mean you’re my girl now?”

She looked shy for a moment. “If you still want me.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer, planting a soft kiss on her mouth. “More than anything,” he whispered.

“That works out nicely then,” she said, burying her face in his chest.

Spike held her tighter. He couldn’t believe that she was finally his.


* * * * *


“I really appreciate you letting me stay here.”

“Don’t mention it. I’m just glad that you decided to leave my brother. How did Spike take the news?”

Buffy smiled. “I think he took it well.”

“He seems like a good guy.”

She nodded. “I invited him over later…if that’s okay.”

“Yeah, it’s fine with me. You guys should come to the Bronze tonight. He can meet the gang.” Riley walked out of the kitchen and found her sitting on the couch. He smiled. “I’m proud of you, Buffy. It’s good that you managed to stick up for yourself.”

“I think I even surprised myself. That was the first time that I ever did it. It felt really good.”

Riley was about to reply, but a pounding on the door stopped him. When he opened it, there was a very pissed off Lindsey on the other side. Without waiting for a greeting, he just barged into the apartment, shoving his brother out of the way.

“Why don’t you just come in?” Riley drawled sarcastically, closing the door.

Buffy leapt to her feet when she saw Lindsey. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to take you home. Let’s be serious here. You would never leave me. It’s this loser that’s putting the ideas in your head,” Lindsey spat, pointing at Riley.

“He doesn’t have anything to do with this. This is what I want. I’m finally making my own decisions and I’m not going to let you control me anymore.”

Riley nodded. “That’s right, Lindsey. You should just leave now. If I’m not allowed in your house, then you’re not allowed in mine.”

Lindsey scowled at his brother. “Shut the hell up, fag! I know you’re responsible for this.”

For a second, she thought Riley was going to break something.

“All right, that does it.”

Buffy placed her hand on Riley’s arm to prevent him from doing anything stupid. She shot Lindsey an icy glare. “Don’t you dare call him that! This is where I live now. I want you to get out.”

Lindsey wouldn’t budge. “I’m not leaving without you, Buffy. Don’t you realize how childish this is?”

She scoffed. “Oh, I’m being childish? No, I think I’m finally starting to act like an adult. The only childish decision I’ve ever made was thinking that I loved you and that you would change. You’re a selfish bastard that I should have left a long time ago.”

She didn’t see his hand coming, until she felt the sting on her cheek.

“That’s what you get for talking back to me,” Lindsey spat.

The world went on mute. She knew that Riley was yelling at Lindsey, but she couldn’t follow what was being said. She just touched her cheek in shock that Lindsey had actually hit her. She was so much in her own world that she didn’t even realize when someone wrapped her into their arms. Familiar arms. Spike. She’d been too distracted to even notice that he’d entered the apartment. Sound slowly returned, and she saw that Riley and Lindsey were still in a heated argument. They were shooting insults back and forth.

Lindsey finally looked away from Riley and recognized the blond man holding Buffy. His eyes widened in realization. “Oh, I get it. This is why you’re leaving me? How long have you been screwing him behind my back?” He waved dismissively. “Forget this; you were just a waste of my time.” He headed to the door and turned back to look at her one more time. “You were a lousy lay, anyway. At least Harmony knew how to keep a man’s attention. See you around, Buff. Don’t come crying to me when he gets sick of you, too.” Lindsey didn’t wait for a response, storming out of the apartment and slamming the door behind him.

Spike saw the tears in Buffy’s eyes and wanted to rip the prick’s head off for hurting her, but the Heaven’s would move before he left her side. He pulled her over to the couch and sat down, coaxing her head to find his shoulder.

Riley went to the kitchen and came back out with an icepack. He handed it to her.

When Buffy didn’t move, Spike took it with a grateful smile. He placed it over the small bruise that was now forming on her face. “Please tell me that he hasn’t been hitting you during your whole relationship,” he said softly.

Buffy shook her head and took the icepack from him. “No, this was a first,” she replied. She was still in shock. Lindsey would constantly get angry, but he never hit her before. She couldn’t remember ever seeing him that mad before.

Riley looked nearly as enraged as Spike. “I could kill him for that. He has no right to hit you. I’m sorry, Buffy.”

“It wasn’t your fault. You were only trying to help me. He’s just a jerk.”

The jerk’s brother couldn’t agree more.

“Whoa, what’s with all the sad faces?”

They all glanced up to see Lorne standing there.

“You should really lock the door, sweetcheeks. The devil himself could come in.”

Buffy had to crack a smile at that. “He just left.”

Spike and Riley laughed appreciately.

Lorne had a look of confusion on his face. “Did I miss something?” he wondered.

“I’ll tell you later. Come on; let’s give these two crazy kids some privacy,” Riley said, grabbing Lorne’s arm and pulling him into the kitchen. He explained everything that happened with Lindsey once they entered the kitchen, trying to keep his voice low.

Lorne was just as shocked. “He actually hit her? Well, if I was a fighter I would give him a piece of my mind.”

Riley smiled. “Yeah, I know what you mean. At least she’s away from him now. I think Spike would be good for her.” He peaked out into the living room to see Buffy and Spike in the same position, with her head resting on his shoulder. He smiled again as he watched them. Riley really believed that Spike would take care of her.