Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm surprised to be getting this chapter in so soon. Even though it seems like only a couple of people are interested in this now, I'm still gonna keep with it. I'm probably just going to end it soon, anyway. Thanks to those that always manage to review me. I really appreciate it.
Chapter 14

“Spike, would you calm down already? Really, my dad doesn’t own any guns. You’ll be fine.”

He took a deep breath. “This is the first time I’ve done the whole meet the parents thing. I saw that movie, so excuse me for being a bit nervous.”

Buffy laughed and shook her head, squeezing his hand in reassurance. “You worry way too much.” She smiled at her parents once they opened the door, hurrying to give them both a hug. She turned quickly and introduced them to her boyfriend.

Spike shuffled uncomfortably under the older man’s stare.

Hank finally spoke once they were inside, his eyes still fixed on the bleached blond. “Spike, is it? That’s an odd nickname, but I’m willing to look past it. Buffy promises that you’re not in a gang.”

Spike glanced at her, wondering why she didn’t mention that little detail before. “No. Not in a gang.”

“I hear you’re from England. Do you happen to be a fan of Manchester United?”

Spike gulped, unsure which answer would be the right one. He decided to go with the truth. “Yes, sir. They’re a favorite of mine.”

Hank had a hard expression on his face, but it soon melted into a smile. “Welcome to the family, son,” he said, patting Spike on the back. “I finally have someone that cares about the sport as much as I do. You don’t know how hard it is just being around women all of the time.” His voice carried away as they walked into the living room.

Joyce shook her head. “He’s sure to talk that poor boy’s ear off now.”

Buffy laughed, glad that it seemed to be going so well. “I think Spike can handle it. I just hope Dad didn’t freak him out with that ‘welcome to the family’ comment. It’s a bit too soon to be thinking about that.”

“Let’s give them time to bond since it doesn’t look like any blood will be spilled. I could use your help with dinner.”

Buffy nodded and followed her mother into the kitchen.


* * * * *


“What are your intentions with my daughter?”

It sure didn’t take Hank long to get right to the point. Spike was quiet for a minute as he thought. “I really love your daughter, sir. I know we’ve only been together for a short time, but I do plan on marrying her one day. She means everything to me.”

Hank nodded. “I just worry about her. I know she’s not a little girl anymore, but she’ll always be my little girl. I met that other boyfriend of hers only a few times, but I never liked what I saw. He would always make decisions for her and I know I raised Buffy to be a strong woman. I never understood why she would let that man treat her the way he did. She’s better than that. I hope that I won’t be seeing the same thing from you.”

Spike shook his head. “You don’t have to worry about that, Mr. Summers. I know how strong Buffy is. I would never do anything to change that. She’s perfect just the way she is. I couldn’t stand Lindsey when I first met him, and it killed me knowing that an amazing woman like Buffy could be with a complete ponce like that. I’m nothing like him.”

Hank smiled. “Well, that’s a good thing to hear. And please, call me Hank. Mr. Summers is my father.”

Spike smiled in return; glad to have the older man’s approval.

“Does Buffy know of your feelings?” he asked suddenly.

“I haven’t exactly told her yet. It’s really soon, I wouldn’t want to scare her off.”

“I suppose that makes sense.” Hank didn’t say anything else as the women made their way into the living room.

“Are you two playing nice?” Buffy asked.

“Of course, honey. You have yourself a good man here.”

Buffy smiled and sat next to Spike. She was extremely relieved that everything was going so well.


* * * * *


“You’re not going to tell me what you talked about with my father, are you?”

He shook his head. “It’s nothing for you to worry about. Your father’s a pretty decent bloke.”

Buffy smiled and wrapped her arms around him. “I told you everything would be fine.”

Spike placed a soft kiss on her lips. “You always know best.” He kissed her harder and pulled her closer to him. He started to move them over to the bedroom, but Buffy had other ideas.

“Later, I have something that I need to do first.”

Spike pouted. “What could be more important?”

She tried not to let the pout affect her. “I have to go see someone. It shouldn’t take me long.”

He raised his eyebrows. “And who would that be?”

Buffy gave him a quick kiss on the lips, then made her way over to the front door. “I’ll be back later.” She walked out of the apartment, leaving Spike to stare after her in confusion.


* * * * *


Buffy walked to the familiar house that she hasn’t been to in what felt like forever. She took a deep breath before knocking.

“Well, never expected you to show up here,” the brunette drawled, leaning in the doorway.

Buffy nodded. “I didn’t expect to be here, either. I was hoping that your address was the same. We need to talk, Faith.”

She moved out of the way and let Buffy into the house.

Buffy looked around and couldn’t believe that she hasn’t been there in three years. A lot of things have changed.

“What did you wanna talk about?”

Buffy finally looked at her old friend. “I wanted to apologize for everything. You were always such a good friend and I was horrible to you. I should have listened to you about Lindsey. I was just scared and confused, but I like to think that I’m better now. I know it took me about three years to come to my senses, but I finally ended things with him. I don’t expect for things to ever be the way they were with us before, but I would like to try and be friends again.”

Faith was quiet for a second as she thought. “I would like that, too. It just hurt knowing that you would choose him over me, but I’m not one to hold a grudge. As long as you finally got rid of the bastard.”

Buffy smiled. “So, we’re okay then?”

Faith nodded. “Yeah, we’re good.”

Buffy was relieved and gave her a hug.

Faith was taken by surprise, but then returned the embrace.

Buffy pulled away after a moment and was about to say something else, when another voice stopped her.

“Mommy, I’m thirsty.”

Faith turned her attention on the child that was standing behind her. “All right, sweetie. Come here for a second.”

The little girl walked over to her mother, who then picked her up.

Faith looked at Buffy and took a deep breath. “This is Dawn, my daughter.”

Buffy nodded; stunned that Faith had a daughter that she knew nothing about. She supposed it made sense; they haven’t been a part of each other’s lives for years. She was more determined than ever to change that.