Chapter 15

“I still can’t believe you have a daughter,” Buffy said for what had to be the millionth time after Faith took Dawn back to her room.

“Yeah, I’m still getting used to it. A lot has changed since we last saw each other.”

Buffy agreed. A lot had changed; she hadn’t realized that things could have changed so much. “Well, I’m happy for you. It looks like you’re really doing well for yourself.”

Faith shrugged. “I get by. I’m working two jobs right now. I had to take a break from the college life when I found out about Dawn. Nothing seemed important anymore.”

“I guess that makes sense. Is it just you two living here? You didn’t mention anything about her father.” Buffy immediately regretted bringing it up when she saw the pained expression on her friend’s face. “I’m sorry; it’s none of my business.”

Faith waved dismissively. “Don’t worry about it. I figured you’d ask eventually. The father’s not in the picture. And trust me, it’s better that way. Dawn’s better off not knowing him. To put it simply, the guy was a total prick. He doesn’t even know about her and I don’t plan on him ever finding out. I’m hoping to never have to see the bastard again.”

“I’m really sorry about everything, Faith. I should have been around more. I feel so bad knowing that you were dealing with all of this by yourself.”

“You know me, B. I’m more of a loner, anyway. It’s just good to have you around now.”

Buffy smiled. “You’ll probably end up getting tired of me with how often I plan on being around. Hey, do you wanna come to the Bronze tomorrow night? It’s been a while since we’ve done anything fun.”

Faith nodded. “I might be able to go. I have someone that watches Dawn for me every now and then. He loves to do it.”

Buffy perked up at this. “He?” She was surprised when Faith blushed. That wasn’t something that happened often.

“He’s just a friend. I met him at my first job and he likes to help me out sometimes.”

Buffy decided not to push the issue, but she had a feeling they were more than just friends. She checked her watch and stood up in surprise when she realized how late it was. “I should be getting back now. Spike will probably send out a search party for me. He worries a bit too much.”

“You’re dating a guy named Spike?”

Buffy nodded with a small, shy grin. “It’s a nickname. I don’t really get it all that much either, but it suits him. I’ll introduce you if you come to the Bronze.”

“Well, now I have to go.”

The girls hugged quickly. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” Buffy said, hurrying out the door.

Once she was alone, Faith smiled and went to check on her daughter. It was really great to have her friend back.


* * * * *


“What took you so long? I almost had to go to bed alone.”

Buffy knew that Spike would be waiting up for her. “Sorry, it took longer than I planned. I just had to talk to someone.”

“Would this happen to be another man?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “No, I have plans with him next week,” she retorted teasingly.

“Okay, I don’t know if you’re being serious or not,” he replied, clearly not amused.

“Of course I’m not being serious. I went to see an old girlfriend of mine. We had some catching up to do. I found out that she has a daughter, now. I never would have guessed that she would be the first one to have a kid. She’s the cutest little girl, too. I think maybe about three or four-years-old. I want one now.” She laughed at the look on her boyfriend’s face. “I was kidding that time, Spike. I know it’s way too soon to be thinking about that, but I do want kids in the near future. Just keep that in mind.”

Spike agreed. “I can do that. So you birds had a good conversation, then?”

“Yeah, it was great talking with Faith again. I never realized how much I missed her until now. She always made college more interesting, until Lindsey came into my life and thought it was fun to control everything I did.” Buffy sighed wistfully. “Tell me again why I didn’t break up with him sooner? No, forget not breaking up with him sooner. I should have never dated him in the first place. I must have really been desperate. Sure, he’s gorgeous if you like that sort of thing, but really not my type now that I think about it.”

Spike stopped her rambling by placing a soft kiss on her lips. “Let’s not talk about him, sweetheart. I would rather go to bed.”

Buffy nodded and let him pull her to the bedroom. “You know what I just realized? We’re practically living together now. I’m always over here and most of my stuff is even here. I don’t even remember when the last time was that I stayed the night at Riley’s.”

“I guess I never really thought about that. Is it a bad thing?”

She shook her head. “No, it actually doesn’t really scare me. I like the idea of living with you, but we’re not ready for anything more serious just yet. In fact, I think I should stay at Riley’s tomorrow. If we’re always together every night, we’re bound to get sick of each other.”

“I don’t think that’s possible. But if you think it’s the right thing to do, then we’ll do it. I’ll have to try and survive a night without you.” He paused and grinned. “But not tonight.”

Buffy squealed as he picked her up and threw her over his shoulder, giggling as he carted her off to the bedroom and slammed the door behind them.


* * * * *


Buffy was perched firmly on Spike’s lap at the Bronze the next night, unable to quench the urge to be close to him. Her face lit up when she saw Faith enter the club. She jumped off her boyfriend’s lap and headed over to the brunette.

“Hey, I’m really glad you could make it.”

Faith nodded. “I almost didn’t for a second there.”

Buffy smiled and grabbed Faith’s hand, pulling her over to their table. She introduced Faith to those that didn’t already know her.

Faith greeted everyone and took a seat in the only available chair. Everyone soon dissolved into conversation that was hard to keep up with; all things considered. Her eyes remained on Buffy, who was once again perched on Spike’s lap. It was obvious that they were completely into each other, and while he seemed much better than Lindsey, she had just met the man.

All eyes turned to the stage when the lights dimmed and the night’s performer appeared, guitar in hand. He sat down on a proffered stool and started to play.

Buffy’s eyes bulged when his voice carried over the club, recognizing him immediately. It didn’t take long for the others to notice.

“Does he do this often?” Spike said in her ear.

Buffy shook her head. “This would be a first,” she replied, her eyes glued to the stage. She couldn’t believe that her ex-boyfriend was up there. That he was singing. That he was actually good. She then glanced over at Faith and frowned at how pale her friend had become. Almost as though she’d seen a ghost.

After a few minutes, Faith bolted to her feet and made a beeline for the exit.

Confused, Buffy went after her, catching up once they were outside. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

Faith stopped to look at her. “You didn’t say he would be here.”

“That’s because I didn’t know. This is the first time he’s ever done anything like this. That I know of, anyway. Why are you so upset? I’m the one that should be all wigged right now.”

She shook her head, tears starting to form in her eyes. “I can’t be around him. I don’t even want to be in the same room as him.”

“Faith, what’s going on? I know you never liked Lindsey, but there has to be more to it than that for you to act like this when he’s near. Did he do something to you? It’s okay, you can tell me.”

Faith ran her fingers through her hair, her voice choking around the truth. She just hoped that Buffy would understand. “I haven’t been completely honest with you, B. There’s a lot about my past that you don’t know.”

“I would like to know. We all have secrets; it can’t be anything that bad.”

Faith gave a humorless laugh. “It really is.” She took a deep breath before revealing the rest. “Buffy, Lindsey is Dawn’s father.”