Chapter 17

“Okay, I have never seen you smile so much before.”

Spike’s smile grew even bigger. “That’s because I’ve never been this happy before.”

Cordelia smiled as well. She wanted to spend the day with her step-brother because they haven’t seen each other much since he moved to Sunnydale. She was hoping to get some information out of him about the new love in his life. That looked to be easier than she thought. “Any woman that can keep that smile on your face must be pretty special.”

“Bloody amazing is how I would describe her.”

Cordelia shook her head. “I still can’t believe we’re talking about Buffy Summers. I never would have figured you to fall for a teacher. You guys are so different.”

Spike nodded. “Well, you know what they say about opposites attract.”

“No, what do they say?” she wondered.

Spike raised his eyebrows. “That opposites attract.”

“Oh, I knew that.”

He rolled his eyes, but there was a hint of a smile on his face. “We’re not so different. We both like sex, for one. The poor girl has been deprived of it for too long. Six bloody months is just torture, but she’s very inventive when she wants to be. She actually bought these trick handcuffs and we...”

Cordelia held her hand up. “I’m so stopping you right there. That is way too much information, buddy.”

“Sorry, got carried away,” he amended.

“Yeah, you seem to do that a lot where Buffy is concerned. You really love her, don’t you? I can tell because your eyes light up whenever her name is mentioned.”

Spike ran his fingers through his hair. “This is different than anything I’ve ever felt before, even Drusilla and you know how crazy I was over her.”

“You’d have to be crazy to want that psycho.” She paused at the look on his face. “Sorry, carry on.”

“I’m just worried that I might do something to screw it up. I don’t know what I would do if I lost her.”

Cordelia gave his hand a comforting squeeze. “You’re doing fine, Will. You really don’t need to worry so much.”

Spike nodded and just decided to change the subject. “Was there something you wanted to talk to me about?”

She smiled. “I was actually wondering if you could baby-sit for us tonight. Angel and I haven’t had a night out in what feels like forever.”

“Yeah, I can do that.”

Cordelia placed a kiss on his cheek. “Thanks, we really appreciate it.”

They continued their walk in silence.

Spike realized that they were walking over to the park bench that he remembered sitting with Buffy in what felt like lifetimes ago. He noticed that someone else was sitting there now. As he moved closer, he was able to recognize the woman. She looked distressed and was clutching a cell phone in her hand. There was a stroller next to her that held a small child inside. “Faith, is everything okay?”

She turned to look at him, relieved to see someone that she knew. “No, apparently there’s some emergency at work and they need me to come in. I can’t get anyone to watch Dawn for me in such short notice. I tried calling Buffy as a last resort, but there’s no answer.”

Spike nodded, figuring that Buffy was out and forgot to turn her phone on again. “I’ll watch her for you,” he said suddenly.

Her face lit up. “Really? I wouldn’t want you to go through the trouble.”

Spike shook his head. “It’s no trouble, love.” He then turned to Cordelia. “You think I can take her to your house? I’ll look after both her and Connor. It might be good for him to have someone close to his age to play with.”

Cordelia nodded and smiled at Faith. “Sure, it would be fine.”

Faith let out a relieved sigh. “Thank you, she has everything that she needs with her. I should only be a few hours.”

Spike peeked into the stroller and gazed at the sleeping child. “She’s a cute one.”

Faith gave him a grateful smile and handed over Dawn’s bag.

Cordelia assured Faith that everything would be taken care of and exchanged addresses and phone numbers with her.

Spike tuned them out after that and just continued to stare at the little girl. He was getting closer to realizing that he was ready for children. He wouldn’t bring that up with Buffy just yet, but looking at the little angel in the stroller was enough to convince him.


* * * * *


“What’s this one?”

Connor looked it over before expressing his answer. “Tyrannosaurus!”

Spike smiled and put down the dinosaur that he was holding. “Right again, has Mommy been letting you watch Jurassic Park? That movie is probably too scary for you.”

Connor scrunched up his nose. “I’m not scared! I’m a big boy!”

Spike held his hands up in surrender. “Of course, I don’t know what I was thinking.” He glanced next to him and saw that Dawn was playing with an old doll that Cordelia gave to her, then turned back to Connor. “Hey, big boy? Why don’t you play with Dawn, but be gentle with her?”

Connor nodded and moved over to Dawn, who was still engrossed in her new doll. The little boy got closer and planted a kiss on Dawn’s cheek. He then shared some of his toys with her.

Spike smiled as he watched the kids together. It wasn’t hard to picture himself staring at his own children. He really wanted a big family one day, but hoped that it was also something Buffy wanted.


* * * * *


Spike entered his apartment later that night.

“Buffy? Are you here?” he called out. He gave her a key a few days ago and told her that she could come and go as she pleased. He was worried it would have been too soon for that, but she just took the key with a smile.

Spike walked into the bedroom and stopped when he saw Buffy passed out in his bed. She must have had a tiring day. He decided to make himself something to eat and just let her sleep. He walked closer to the bed and pressed his lips to her forehead. He brushed some of the hair out of her face and stared at her contentedly. “I love you,” he whispered, then turned and headed back to the doorway. He almost made it out of the room, but her soft voice stopped him.

“I love you, too.”