Chapter 18

Spike groaned when he noticed that Buffy went right back to her nap. “Bloody great. You tell me you love me and then go to sleep. You really are trying to drive me crazy.” He headed back over to her and placed another kiss on her forehead. “I really hope you meant it,” he whispered, then walked out of the room and closed the door behind him.

Buffy opened her eyes and smiled once Spike was gone. She made herself more comfortable and tried to drift back off to sleep, with the smile still on her face.


* * * * *


Buffy knocked on Faith’s door and got no answer. She turned the knob after a moment to find that the door was unlocked. She suddenly felt worried and let herself into the house. She moved into the living room and stopped at the sight in front of her. Faith was sitting on the couch with a man that Buffy didn’t recognize, and they were in the middle of a heavy lip lock. She cleared her throat.

Faith quickly pulled away and immediately looked embarrassed.

The man was just missing the loss of her lips.

“Buffy, what are you doing here?”

She smiled. “I knocked, but there was no answer. I can see why.”

Faith glared and fixed her shirt, then turned back to the man by her side. “This is Buffy, my annoying friend.”

He nodded. “Right, the chick that you mentioned.”

Buffy crossed her arms at being called a chick.

Faith glanced back at the blonde. “This is Charles Gunn, but he just goes by Gunn. It’s a thing.”

Buffy nodded and graced him with a small smile.

Gunn smiled in return and then stood up. “I guess I’ll let you ladies talk.” He pulled Faith up and gave her a firm kiss on the mouth. “I’ll see you later.”

Buffy watched as he walked out of the house, then turned her attention on Faith. “So, just a friend?”

“Shut up, we’re not really together. He just comes over every now and then, and we sometimes get carried away. Dawn’s over at a friend’s. I rarely get the house to myself and when I do, I tend to take advantage of it. There aren’t many men out there that would be interested in a single mother, but Gunn’s different. He already loves her.”

Buffy smiled, glad that her friend had someone like that in her life. “Well, that’s really great. I’m happy for you. I just wanted to see if you were okay, but it’s obvious that you are. I’ll just get back to Spike now. We have things to talk about and I can’t avoid the conversation forever.”

Faith nodded in understanding.

Buffy gave her one more smile before leaving the house. She dreaded the upcoming conversation with Spike, but hoped she was ready for it.


* * * * *


“Finally, you’re back. We really need to talk.”

Buffy pretended to be clueless as she entered Spike’s apartment. “Talk about what?”

He gave her a look that clearly said he didn’t believe her. “You know what about, Buffy. We need to talk about what you said last night. It’s driving me crazy. I need to know if you meant it.”

She shrugged. “I don’t remember saying anything.”

Spike growled and threw his hands in the air. “Are you trying to make me crazy? I know you remember. I refuse to believe that you were actually sleeping.”

Buffy laughed and couldn’t keep up with it anymore. “You mean the part where I said I loved you? How could I forget that? You took me by surprise when you said it. The only thing I could think of was to say it back. Did you really want me to say thank you? That would have been a slap in the face.”

He shook his head. “No, but I wanted you to mean it. I don’t want you to say that if it’s not something you feel.”

Buffy could see the distress on his face and moved closer to him. She took both of his hands in hers. “I meant it, Spike. I do love you. I know I’m still burned from my so-called relationship with Lindsey and hearing you say it so soon was really a shock, but I wouldn’t have said that if I didn’t mean it. This is all so very new to me. I’m not used to being in a relationship with someone that actually loves me. I don’t know why I ever thought that Lindsey did. I should have known that what I had with him wasn’t love. You’ve already given me so much. I guess it’s just hard to believe at times.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her tiny frame, cradling her head against his chest. “I love you so bloody much, Buffy. I’ve never felt anything like this before, not even for Drusilla. It’s just as new to me. The emotions I felt for you did scare me at first, but now it’s the most natural thing in the world. You’ll never have to doubt my love. It’s something that I don’t think can ever go away.”

Buffy nodded against his chest. “That’s a comforting thought.”

He smiled and planted a kiss on the crown of her head.

They just stood in each other’s embrace for a while longer, knowing that no more words needed to be said.


* * * * *


It was another school day and Buffy was watching the kids get picked up by their parents. She loved seeing the happy looks on their faces as they talked the adults’ ears off about what they did that day. She then saw Cordelia and waved to her.

Cordelia smiled and walked over, clutching Connor’s hand in hers. “Hey, I wanted to thank you.”

Buffy was taken by surprise. “Thank me for what?”

“For everything you’ve done for William. I’ve never seen him like this before and I know it’s because of you. I was really worried about Will after I heard about the trouble he was getting into in England. I’ve seen a complete change in him since he’s been here. Well, since he’s met you. That Drusilla woman was just horrible. For the longest time I thought he would never really get over her. She made him completely miserable. It’s so great to see him happy again.”

Buffy blushed. “I didn’t really do much.”

Cordelia shook her head. “You did a lot more than you think. He’s even getting along with Angel now. I never thought that was possible.”

Buffy smiled and was about to reply, but was stopped by the ringing of her cell phone. She excused herself and went to her desk to answer it.

Cordelia was concerned at the look on Buffy’s face when she took the call.

Buffy hung up after a moment and turned back to her. “Lindsey’s in trouble. The guy on the phone said he didn’t know who else to call. I have to go.”

Cordelia nodded and watched her leave the classroom, hoping that everything was all right.