Chapter 19

Buffy entered Willy’s bar and searched for her ex-boyfriend. She found him perched on one of the stools, with a bottle of beer attached to his lips.

The bartender saw her and immediately went over to her side. “He’s out of control. I tried to cut him off, but he just threw a glass against the wall. I didn’t wanna get the cops involved, so I called you. I know you two used to have a thing. And besides, you were all he talked about.”

Buffy nodded and stared at Lindsey. She couldn’t believe that he would stoop so low as to get completely wasted. She looked back at Willy. “Thanks, I’ll handle it from here.”

He sighed in relief and went to deal with a few other customers.

Buffy shook her head and walked over to Lindsey. She felt anger take over when she got a good look at him. She couldn’t remember ever seeing him so disoriented and it pissed the hell out of her. “What the hell are you doing?”

He turned at the sound of her voice. A smile forming on his face. “Sweetheart, I was just thinking about you.”

She cringed at the scent of booze that was coming off of him. “Well, you can stop thinking about me. We’re not together anymore, Lindsey. He shouldn’t have had to call me to get you out of here. I think that falls in Harmony’s territory now.”

Lindsey shook his head. “I’m not with her, Buffy. Everything I said was a lie. She’s a poor substitute for you. I’m nothing without you, baby.” He tried to grab her, but she just moved out of his way.

“You don’t know what you’re saying. Let’s go, I’m taking you home.” She took his hand and pulled him off of the stool.

Lindsey just draped his arm over her shoulders to keep from falling. His hand went a little too low and Buffy grabbed a hold of it.

“If you even think about touching my boob, I’ll deck you. I don’t care if you’re drunk.”

He only nodded and let her help him out of the bar and into her car.

Buffy started it up once she got him situated and then drove to her old house.


* * * * *


Lindsey managed to get the front door open after a few tries.

Buffy rolled her eyes and helped him into the house. She deposited him on the couch and watched his head drop to the cushion. She was once again wondering what she ever saw in him. She was about to walk away, but his voice stopped her.

“I lost my job, Buffy.”

She turned back to look at him, crossing her arms over her chest. “Not that I care, but what happened?”

He sat up and took a deep breath. “I was drinking at work. I got so frustrated with this one case that I blew up at my boss. I don’t remember much, but I think I might have destroyed his office.”

Buffy couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She glanced around the living room to see the mess it was in. She couldn’t remember him ever keeping the house anything but clean when she lived there. She noticed all of the empty beer bottles and cans that littered the floor. “God, what happened to you?”

Lindsey let out a humorless laugh. “Do you even need to ask? I’m a complete screw up, I get that. I’ve been this way for a long time. To be honest, I’m surprised you stayed with me for as long as you did. I’ve lost everything and I pretty much deserve it. I don’t know what I’m going to do, Buffy.”

He sounded so broken that Buffy couldn’t do anything except sit down next to him. She gave him a pat on the back. “You’ll figure something out. I know you, Lindsey. You wouldn’t let this get you down for long. You just have to stop drinking so much. It’s not going to help you get better.”

Lindsey knew she was right and looked into her eyes. He caressed her cheek. “You were the best thing that ever happened to me. I was an idiot for letting you go. I wasn’t the man that you deserved, but I can make up for that. I know you still love me, Buffy.”

She didn’t say anything and tried to avoid his gaze, but he wouldn’t let her.

“We had some great times, didn’t we?” He moved his hands down to the buttons on her blouse, undoing the top button and keeping his gaze locked on hers. “I’m going crazy without you. I need you, baby.” He then couldn’t take anymore and crushed his lips to hers.

Buffy finally came back to reality and shoved him away from her. She stood up, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. “I can’t believe I just fell for that. You were putting on this vulnerable act just so I would sleep with you? God, you really are disgusting,” she spat, then headed for the door.

Lindsey got up and went after her. “You were into it just as much as I was. Admit it, Buffy. You can’t live without me, either. You know there’s something still between us.”

Buffy glared at him. “The only thing that’s between us is loathing. I hate you, Lindsey. Do you understand that? I have a man in my life now that I love. A man that would never treat me like you did. He’s the only person I could ever want. You were just a moment of weakness, but I’m not weak anymore.” She took a deep breath to calm herself. “I’m really sorry that you lost your job, but you only have yourself to blame. If you want someone to help you, I suggest you go live with your mother. Goodbye, Lindsey.” She pulled the front door open and marched out of the house, not bothering to give him a another glance. She just wanted to be as far away from her ex-boyfriend as possible. She got back in her car and drove away. She had to stop and pay Riley a visit to let him know about the state his brother was in, then she was going to see Spike. She was too lost in her thoughts to notice that she was being watched.


* * * * *


Spike was pacing back and forth in his living room. He was worried that Buffy hasn’t arrived yet when she should have been there hours ago. She would usually call if she was going to be late. He sighed in relief when there was a knock on the door. He didn’t even wonder why she would be knocking instead of just letting herself in. He opened the door with a smile on his face, which quickly faded once he saw the familiar woman standing there. A woman that he never thought he would see again.

“Drusilla?”