Chapter 20

“My Spike, aren’t you going to invite me in?”

He couldn’t seem to form any words at the moment.

She didn’t wait for an invitation and just made her way into the apartment.

Spike finally was brought out of his thoughts. He turned around to face her, not even bothering to shut the door. “What the bloody hell are you doing here, Dru? How did you even find me? Never mind, I don’t care to know. I think you should leave.”

“Now, is that any way to treat the woman you love?”

He could feel a headache already coming on. “I don’t love you anymore. I doubt if I ever really did. You’ve caused me nothing but trouble. That’s part of my past I would like to forget, and you being here is not helping.”

Drusilla gave him a twisted grin. “But the stars have spoken to me. I think you would want to know what they said.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Would you quit it with the bloody stars? You’re a sodding nutcase, you know that? I can’t believe I stayed with you for so bloody long.”

She moved closer to him and gently touched his cheek. “You’ve been a very bad dog, choosing the light over your dark princess. She will only hurt you, William. I can make everything better.”

Spike knew she was crazy, but she always did have a meaning behind her words. “What are you on about?”

Drusilla smiled and pressed her lips to his ear. “Turn around,” she whispered.

Spike was taken by surprise, but did as she said. His eyes bulged when he saw Buffy standing in the doorway. He had a feeling about what was going through her head and immediately pulled away from Drusilla. “Love, this isn’t what it looks like.”

Buffy stepped further into the apartment, not knowing what to think. “What’s going on?” she asked shakily.

“Nothing’s going on. Drusilla was just leaving,” he said, giving the other woman a stern look.

“Drusilla? Your ex-girlfriend?”

Spike nodded and really wanted to take her into his arms to show her how much Drusilla being there didn’t affect him, but Dru had a different idea.

“Naughty little girl. You should be ashamed to betray my sweet boy.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows; clearly Spike wasn’t lying when he said his ex wasn’t all there. She was about to respond, but never got the chance.

“I saw you visiting a past lover. Were you not coming out of his house?” she said with a satisfied smirk.

Spike turned his gaze on Buffy, knowing who Drusilla was referring to. “Is that true? You were with Lindsey? Is that why you were so late?”

Buffy shook her head. “No, it wasn’t like that. He got really drunk and they didn’t know of anyone else that could help him. I only took him home, but I left right after that.”

Spike sighed in relief. He knew Buffy had no reason to lie, but Drusilla’s next words made his heart clench.

“Is that smeared lipstick, deary? Did snogging the bad dog make you feel all better?”

Buffy looked into Spike’s eyes and could see the hurt and disappointment. She had to somehow make this right.

“You kissed him?” he wondered softly.

“I wouldn’t do that, Spike. Lindsey tried to make me feel sorry for him. He kissed me and I pushed him away right when it happened. I left right after that and wanted to see you. I told him how much I loved you and that he didn’t mean anything to me anymore. You believe me, right?”

Spike didn’t know what to believe. A cackling laugh brought his eyes back on Drusilla.

“Poor lost girl. Doesn’t know how to keep a real man. My Spike would be better off in the dark. Her heart will always belong to another.”

Spike shut his eyes tight. “Get out,” he said in a soft, harsh voice. He then opened his eyes and stared right at Buffy.

She was hurt and couldn’t believe that he would actually kick her out. “Spike, you can’t listen to her. She’s just trying to turn you against me.”

Drusilla was giggling like a mad woman.

Buffy couldn’t take anymore. She turned and started to walk away, but Spike grabbed her arm. She looked up at him in confusion to see that his eyes were focused on Drusilla now.

“I told you to get out, Dru. I’m done listening to anything you have to say. I’m finally happy with my life and I’ll be damned if I’m about to let you ruin it.”

Buffy let out a breath that she didn’t even realize she was holding, relieved that Spike wasn’t talking to her.

Drusilla gave him a sad look. “Poor Spike, you’re so lost. Not even I can help you now,” she replied, then left the apartment.

Spike wrapped his arms around Buffy and pulled her closer to his side. He placed a kiss on the top of her head. “I’m sorry, baby. I didn’t know she would find me here. God, I never wanted you to deal with her. She’s bloody insane.”

Buffy laughed against his chest. “I kinda noticed.” She looked up at him after a moment. “You do believe me, right? The kiss didn’t mean anything. Lindsey was just so pathetic. I had to help him, but that’s all it was. I wanted to get back to you as fast as I could. He’s on his own now. I don’t want anything to do with him.”

Spike smiled and pressed his lips to her forehead. “I believe you, Buffy. I know you love me. I would never believe Drusilla over you, pet. I’m starting to wonder what I ever saw in the crazy bint.”

Buffy shrugged. “I really couldn’t tell you, but I’m glad you’re over that phase.”

He nodded in agreement. “You have no idea. Now, I only prefer the small, blonde type.”

She slapped his chest playfully. “I better be the only one.”

Spike held her tighter, “Always, baby. I love you,” he whispered.

“I love you, too.”

They just continued to hold each other for a while after that.