Chapter 3

“Does he have to stay here?”

Cordelia rolled her eyes for what had to be the millionth time that day. “We already talked about this, Angel. Will’s having some problems in England and needs to get away for a while. Just give him a chance.”

Angel sighed. “Fine, but I’m only doing this for you.”

Cordelia beamed and brushed a kiss across her husband’s cheek.

The moment was interrupted when a blond man entered the kitchen, a five-year-old clinging to his back.

“Uncle Spike was giving me a piggy back ride!” the child exclaimed proudly.

Angel didn’t look impressed. “That’s just great, Spike. You’re going to shake him up. He just ate.”

Spike rolled his eyes and lowered the child to the ground.

“Connor, go play in your room,” Cordelia instructed. The child nodded and obeyed.

Angel turned back to Spike. “I don’t want you to get him all hyper.”

“Lighten up, Peaches. I was just having some fun with the tyke.”

Angel glared at him for the awful nickname, but decided to drop it. It was easier simply to change the subject. “Connor’s teacher is coming over for dinner tonight and I would appreciate it if you didn’t act like yourself.”

“I didn’t behave for my own teachers when I was in school. Why would I start now?”

Angel clenched his fists at his side. He never got along with the bleached menace, but he was Cordelia’s step-brother, so wringing his neck was out of the question. He would put forth an effort for her.

“Spike, it wouldn’t kill you to act your age for once,” Cordelia observed.

Angel sighed in relief, surprised that she decided to speak up.

“All right, but I won’t be happy about it. Look, I’m not trying to be difficult. I really appreciate you two letting me stay here, but there’s only so much I can take. I’ve thought about it, and I think it’ll be better if I rent an apartment. I even found one that’s not that far from here. I need my own space and there’s no telling how long I’ll be in this town.”

“Your own space? What, the guestroom isn’t big enough for you? I’m sure you need something bigger for all of the bimbos that you plan on bringing home,” Angel spat, even though the thought of Spike leaving their home made him extremely happy. He knew about Spike’s way with women—that he basically lived for one night stands. The irritating blond preferred it if no commitment was involved.

Spike just smirked. “That’s the plan. I already have my eye on a certain beauty that I met yesterday, but she’s not a bimbo. This one is different…” He trailed off, his mind automatically flashing to the girl that had haunted him since their haphazard acquaintance. He shook his head and walked over to Cordelia, kissing her cheek. “Thanks for the hospitality, sis. I’ll be out of your hair by next week.” And with a two-finger salute to Angel, left the kitchen.

Angel looked at his wife. “I really hate that guy.”

Cordelia shook her head, but there was a hint of a smile on her face. “He likes to act up, but that’s all it is. Just an act, he’s really very sweet once you get to know him. Believe me; we couldn’t stand each other at first. I was so angry when my mom married his dad, but we ended up getting closer.”

Angel raised his eyebrows. “How close are we talking about?”

“Gross, Angel! Get your mind out of the gutter. We were nowhere near that close. We both lost a parent and could relate to each other about that, so it brought us a bit closer and we started to actually act like siblings. I’m the only one that gets away with calling him by his given name, but I try not to if I can help it. Spike was always very protective of me.”

“Well, that’s something we have in common then,” he claimed, placing a sweet kiss on her lips.


* * * * *


“You don’t really have to come with me, Lindsey. I know you don’t want to.”

“They are your friends, so I can at least try. As long as we don’t stay too long.”

Buffy nodded and offered a small smile. “I’ll call Cordelia to see if it’s okay,” she said, retreating to the phone. It meant a lot that he was actually trying.

Her high, however, was short-lived.

“Are you going to wear that? It looks trashy. I honestly don’t know where you get your clothes.” He gave an exasperated sigh. “I have an image to maintain, Buffy. It doesn’t when my girlfriend dresses so cheap. You should wear that blue dress that I got you. It’s very classy.”

Buffy sighed and went upstairs to change after she made the call. She just wished that he would say something nice to her for once.


* * * * *


“We’re so glad you could come over,” Cordelia said as she greeted her guests at the door.

Buffy smiled. “Thanks for having us.”

Cordelia led them into the kitchen, where they found Angel slaving over a hot stove.

He glanced up. “Dinner should be ready soon,” he said with a smile.

Buffy nodded and introduced Lindsey.

Then they heard footsteps coming down the stairs and a small boy bounded into the kitchen.

“Miss Buffy!” he exclaimed and hugged her legs.

Buffy smiled and kneeled down to be closer to the child. “It’s nice to see you, too.”

He nodded and grabbed her hand. “Wanna see my room?” he asked, pulling her away before she could respond.

Buffy looked at the others. “I’ll be right back,” she told them and let Connor lead her away.

He pulled her upstairs and led her into a room filled with toys. “I made more drawings for you,” he said, handing her a few of the pictures he’d made.

The pictures were of his family and a lot of dogs that looked to be running around. It was obvious that Connor wanted a pet. “These are really great, sweetie. Do I get to keep them?”

He nodded vigorously.

Buffy smiled and placed the drawings on his little desk, she would remember to get them later. He had to be the cutest little boy in the world.

“Well, what do we have here?”

Buffy turned at the sound of the voice. She was stunned to see the same blond man standing in the doorway. The same man that she has yet to get out of her mind.

“Isn’t this a small world?”

Buffy nodded, at a complete loss for words.

A small world indeed.