Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to those that have reviewed this. It helps knowing that at least someone is enjoying it. I hope you guys like this chapter=)
Chapter 4

Connor was too busy playing with a toy robot to notice the tension in the room.

Buffy walked over to Spike. “What are you doing here?” she asked quietly.

“I live here…at least until next week.”

“Wait…are you Cordelia’s brother?”

Spike nodded. “Guilty as charged. Well, her step-brother actually. Are you the teacher?”

Buffy nodded as well.

Spike smirked. “If my teacher’s were as hot as you, I probably would have paid attention more.”

Heat kissed her cheeks, and Buffy quickly moved away from him. “We should get back downstairs.”

“Why are you always running away from me?”

She hesitated, then met his eyes. “Because I have to,” she replied, walking out of the room and down the stairs.

Spike let out a sigh. He didn’t think he would ever understand women, but he was definitely not going to give up.


* * * * *


Buffy entered the kitchen, wishing she was anywhere else.

Angel saw the distressed look on her face. “Are you okay?”

She gave him a small smile. “Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

Spike then walked into the kitchen.

Cordelia was about to introduce them, but Spike didn’t give her the chance.

“We already met upstairs,” he announced, his eyes not leaving Buffy. He frowned when he noticed a man that he didn’t recognize standing next to her.

Buffy caught the look and knew that she had to say something. “This is my boyfriend, Lindsey.”

Spike raised his eyebrows, obviously not expecting that. He just shook the other man’s hand. Right off, there was something he really didn’t like about the bloke. He tried to ignore the fact that his hand was on Buffy’s arm.

Dinner was ready and they all made their way into the dining room.

They ate in awkward silence, no one knowing what to start a conversation with.

Spike decided to take the lead. “So, how long have you two been together?”

Buffy looked at him. “We’ve been together for about three years now.”

Spike nodded, struggling to maintain his smile. “Where are you from, Lindsey?” he asked, bewildered that anyone could give their boy a girl’s moniker.

“I’m from Texas; I moved to California about ten years ago.” He seemed to be proud of his answer.

“What do you do?”

Buffy wondered what was up with the twenty questions, but she remained silent.

“I’m a lawyer.”

Spike rolled his eyes. He hated lawyers; there was no trusting them. “How nice for you,” he commented, taking a bite out of his chicken breast.

Buffy again wished that she could be elsewhere. Feeling like she needed to get out of the room, she bolted to her feet. “I’m just going to get some fresh air. I’ll be right back,” she explained hurriedly, disappearing without waiting for a response.

Spike looked at the expressions of everyone around the table. “I’m going outside for a smoke.” He got up and went after Buffy, leaving the others to stare after him.

Somehow, Lindsey was able to maintain his opinion until Spike was out of earshot. “She won’t get much fresh air with him smoking around her. I don’t understand how anyone could poison their lungs like that–it’s a disgusting habit. And what’s wrong with his hair? Why would anyone want that color?”

Angel and Cordelia both rolled their eyes, neither understanding what a smart woman like Buffy saw in him.


* * * * *


Spike found her outside, a pensive look on her face.

She turned around and sighed when she noticed him. “You weren’t supposed to follow me.”

“Like I wanted to stay in there. Why didn’t you tell me you had a boyfriend?”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “When would I have told you that? We had one dance, Spike. That’s all it was and I honestly didn’t think I would see you again.”

Spike ran his fingers down her arms. “You know that’s not all it was.”

Shivers raced down her spine from his touch.

“He could never make you feel as good as I can,” he whispered.

Buffy realized that his lips were getting pretty close. She drew in a deep breath and waited as his mouth finally covered hers.

The kiss started out slow and then, as they grew comfortable with each other, became more passionate. Spike felt that he could kiss her forever. No woman has ever made him feel so alive.

Buffy wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back, with just as much passion. It could have lasted forever if she hadn’t realized what she was doing. Just as quickly, she pulled away from him and took a step back. “We can’t do this.”

Spike didn’t attempt to conceal his disappointment. He gave her a pout. “Why not? We were doing fine and you can’t tell me that you didn’t feel anything.”

Buffy shook her head. “It doesn’t matter. I can’t do this. I’m with Lindsey. I...I love him.”

Spike wasn’t convinced. “Right, next time try saying that without the stutter. You don’t love him, Buffy. You’re not even happy with him. I can tell from just seeing you together. You look like a woman that hasn’t been satisfied in months…possibly more than that.”

Buffy crossed her arms. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Spike rolled his eyes. She could be a damn stubborn bint, but it just made him want her all the more. “I know about love. Cordy and Angel, that’s what being in love looks like. I’m not sure what it is that you two have, but it’s not love. Anyone with half a brain can see that.”

Buffy wouldn’t listen. “You’re wrong, I have to go.”

Spike grabbed her arm. “I’m not letting you walk away again. We need to talk about this. There’s something going on between us and I know you feel it, too. I knew I was lost the moment I laid eyes on you. You can’t tell me that I’m the only one that felt that way.” He moved his eyes up and down her body. “Did he pick out this dress for you? That’s not you, Buffy. I just met you and I already know that. He’s trying to change you into someone you’re not. I can show you all that you’ve been missing, if you’ll let me. I promise you won’t regret it.”

Buffy looked into his eyes and could see how sincere he was. No one has ever looked at her like that before. Yeah, she was definitely lost.