Author's Chapter Notes:
It's sad to say that my updates won't be as fast after this chapter. The other chapters aren't ready yet, but I'll try not to take forever with them. Thanks for the reviews=)
Chapter 6

“Does he know what he has?”

Buffy looked up at Spike, not knowing how to answer that.

They decided to go for a walk when they left the Espresso Pump and were now sitting on a park bench, watching the children play in the distance.

“I don’t know,” she replied after a lengthy silence.

“Bloody ponce. He gets to come home to you everyday and he doesn’t even appreciate it,” Spike said, more to himself than her. “Can I hit him, love? Might make both of us feel better.”

Buffy laughed and shook her head. “You may have to get in line. There are a few others in front of you that wouldn’t mind hitting him, but I don’t really believe in violence. It never solves anything.”

Spike just nodded, then shifted and pulled something out of his pocket. “If you ever need anything, this is where I’ll be staying. I decided not to impose on my sister. A man needs his own space and there’s only so much of Angel that I can take.”

She smiled and took the paper from him. “Angel’s a sweetheart. Cordy’s lucky to have a guy like him.”

“Yeah, he’s a good bloke. I just love to give him a hard time, it’s in my nature.”

Buffy had to agree.

“Are we going to talk about it, or just pretend that it never happened?” he suddenly asked.

“Talk about what?”

Spike rolled his eyes. “You know what, Buffy. The kiss that we shared not more than half an hour ago. This time you made the first move, so you can’t blame me for it.”

“I’m not going to blame you. I knew what I was doing, but it can’t happen again. It’s for the best.”

He wouldn’t believe that. “I hear you say it, but I don’t think you really mean it. I think you’re just scared to get close to someone else. You already know that you can trust me.”

Buffy wasn’t as sure, but she didn’t say anything about it. She just continued to observe the children.

There was nothing more. Spike figured that the conversation was over, for now anyway.

Buffy then pulled her wallet out of her purse to put the piece of paper that he gave her inside. She didn’t want to lose it.

He watched her intensely, taking notice of a picture that she had in her wallet. She was hugging a brunette man that wasn’t Lindsey. “Who’s that?” he wondered, pointing to the picture.

Buffy’s face broke into a smile as she gazed at the photo. “That’s Riley, he’s my best friend. Well, best guy friend. He’s Lindsey’s brother.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “You’re best friends with Lindsey’s brother? How did that happen?”

She shrugged. “It just did, Riley’s the one that I always talk to. I can go to him with anything and he always listens. He’s one of the best guys I know.”

Spike still had a look of confusion on his face. “If this guy is so great, why are you dating his brother instead of dating him? Not that I want you dating anyone who’s not on this bench -- I’m just trying to make sense of it.”

Buffy grinned, looking for another picture in her wallet to show him. “Riley’s already seeing someone and I’m not exactly his type. We’re just good friends.” She held up the picture once she located it. “This is Lorne, Riley’s boyfriend.”

“Oh, I see. It makes a bit more sense now. They look good together.”

Buffy nodded and closed the wallet, shoving it back inside her purse. “Yeah, they do. They’re both great guys; I don’t know what I would do without them. My two best girlfriends are Willow and Tara. They’re also together and before you say anything, I do know straight people. I just love my friends and wouldn’t trade them in for anything in the world. I just wish I was able to see them more.”

Spike took in what she told him. He was glad that she had such good friends in her life. He then turned his thoughts to the last thing she said. “Why can’t you? They’re your friends; you should be able to see them whenever you want.”

She looked away from him, not saying anything else about it.

Spike could tell by the expression on her face that Lindsey had something to do with her not seeing her friends that much. The more he found out about the Texan, the more he was really starting to hate him. If Buffy was his girl, he would never stop her from seeing her friends. He had a feeling they would be his friends, too. Maybe Buffy would introduce him one of these days.


* * * * *


“Okay, what’s wrong? You have a something-is-bothering-me face.”

Buffy smiled at Riley and sat down on his couch.

He sat down next to her, the look on his face telling her that he wouldn’t let her leave without telling him what was wrong.

She knew that she had to talk to him after her visit with Spike earlier that day. She had a lot on her mind and really needed to get things off of her chest. “I’ve just been a little confused lately.”

“Does this have anything to do with that guy from the Bronze?”

Her head whipped up in surprise. “How do you know about him?”

Riley rolled his eyes, but not in an irritated way. “We all saw you dancing with him, Buffy. It was hard to miss, especially with the way he was moving. That man is sex on legs.”

Buffy laughed, slapping his arm playfully. “You were checking him out?”

Riley shrugged. “It was hard not to and don’t give me that look. Lorne was also checking him out. I think even straight guys were checking him out, but he wouldn’t notice with the way his attention was focused on you. He’s got it bad.”

Buffy beamed at that. “You think so?”

“Yeah, he definitely wanted you. Is that why you’re so confused? You’re starting to have feelings for someone that’s not Lindsey?”

Buffy nodded, becoming more serious. “I’ve felt more with Spike in three days than I ever have the whole time with Lindsey. I just don’t love him anymore…I don’t know if I ever really did. We haven’t had sex in six months. Can you believe that? I tried to get him into it the other night, but he only wanted to sleep. I can’t even turn him on anymore. Do you think Lindsey’s gay and just hasn’t realized it yet?”

Riley laughed loudly. “Trust me, he’s not gay. I would have been able to tell. You know how he is around me, Buffy. He can’t stand the fact that I’m gay. He thinks it’s disgusting.”

Buffy nodded. That was one reason of why Lindsey didn’t like her friends. “What am I going to do?”

“I can’t tell you that. I can only tell you to follow your heart. If you don’t feel anything for Lindsey anymore, then maybe you’re just not meant to be with him. How do you feel when you’re around Spike?”

Buffy’s face lit up at just the mention of the bleached blond. “I feel my heart jump whenever he’s near me. The way he looks at me, it’s more intense than anything I’ve ever felt before. It’s like I’m the only woman in the world.”

Riley grasped her hand in his, giving it a gentle squeeze. “Well, I think that’s your answer.”

Buffy smiled and planted a kiss on his cheek. She then left his apartment and headed to her next destination. She had to see Spike.