Author's Chapter Notes:
I guess I’m putting the next chapter in earlier than I thought. I didn’t expect to get it back yesterday. I hope you guys would like it. Don’t worry; there will be much Spuffiness soon. I would appreciate any comments=)
Chapter 7

Buffy decided to head home first and change her clothes before making her way over to Spike’s apartment. She walked into her house and stopped suddenly at the sight in front of her. It was dark and there were candles everywhere. She walked further into the living room and saw Lindsey waiting for her.

“What is all this?”

He moved closer to her and took her hand in his. “This is because I’ve been a jerk. I’ve been so stressed out at work and I took it out on you. I know things haven’t been so great with us lately, but I would like to make it up to you. I love you, Buffy.” He then pressed his lips to hers in a quick kiss and wrapped his arms around her.

Buffy was still surprised, but returned his hug anyway. She couldn’t remember ever seeing this side of her boyfriend before.

Lindsey pulled away to look at her. “Let’s go upstairs. I want to make love to you. It’s been too long, baby.” He led her to the stairs, without bothering to wait for a reply.

Buffy finally came back to reality and stopped, pulling her hand out of his grasp. “And whose fault is that? You can’t just be romantic for one night and decide that everything is going to be okay. I offered myself to you and you just ignored me. You seem to be doing that a lot lately. Maybe I’m not really in a lovemaking mood.”

Lindsey was taken aback at her outburst; she never raised her voice to him. “Buffy, I’m really trying here. You could do the same.”

His words only made her angrier. “I have been trying, Lindsey. Don’t you see that? I do everything for you, but it never seems to be enough. I just don’t think this is going to work out anymore.”

Lindsey shook his head. “You don’t mean that. I’m all you have right now, Buffy. No one will ever love you the way I do. Look, is this because you don’t think I’m ready to commit to you? I thought a lot about this and I think I’m finally ready to settle down. We’ve been living together for years, but I know you want more. The marriage, the kids, maybe the house with the white, picket fence. I may not be ready for kids yet, but I can start with this.” He then pulled out a black box and opened it, revealing a diamond ring inside.

Buffy gasped. She clearly hadn’t been expecting that. She’d expected the next part even less.

Lindsey got down on one knee and held the ring out to her. “Will you marry me?"

Buffy shook her head as tears started to fall down her face. “You can’t do this to me now. We’ve been having problems for so long. You can’t just propose to me out of nowhere and expect an easy answer.”

Lindsey nodded and stood up. “I don’t expect an answer right now. Will you at least think about it? I really want this, Buffy.”

She looked into his eyes and really didn’t know if she could believe that. “I’ll have to think about it,” she said with more conviction than she felt.

He smiled and kissed her cheek. “We’ll talk about this more later.”

Buffy nodded as she watched him walk up the stairs. She seemed to have everything figured out after her talk with Riley, but now she was more confused than ever. Lindsey chose the perfect time to realize that he wanted her.


* * * * *


Buffy took a deep breath and knocked on Spike’s door.

He opened it a few seconds later and let her into the apartment. She looked around and noticed a few boxes that were still filled with stuff, but he didn’t have much to begin with.

“I’m glad you came. Can I get you something to drink?”

Buffy shook her head and remained silent.

He nodded and could tell that she wanted to talk to him about something, but he would wait until she was ready.

She paced for about a minute and finally decided to speak. “I wanted to talk to you about Lindsey.”

Spike held his hand up. “I really don’t want to hear about the great ponce right now.”

She chose to ignore him. “He’s such an idiot.”

“Continue,” he said, realizing that she wasn’t likely to say anything nice about the other man.

Buffy gave him a small smile. “You know, I had a whole speech planned for when I came over here. I was going to tell you that you were right about everything. You know me more than Lindsey ever has.” A pause. “I was going to break up with him.”

Spike didn’t like where this was headed. “Was?”

Buffy nodded and tried to say the rest. “I went home and it was like everything changed. He was actually romantic for the first time that I can remember. He knew that he was wrong and he wanted to make things better.” She took a deep breath before she told him the next part. “Lindsey asked me to marry him.”

Spike felt his heart ache at her words. God, he hoped she wasn’t actually thinking of marrying the bloke. He didn’t know what he would do then. “Oh, what was your answer to that?”

“I told him that I would think about it. He went through all that trouble, I couldn’t just tell him no. And I’m not ready to say yes, either.”

“Then what are you going to do?

Buffy looked away. “I don’t know,” she mumbled.

“The hell you don’t. Look at me, Buffy.”

She turned back to him, almost reluctantly.

“You can’t seriously be thinking about marrying him. So he realizes that you exist for one time in your relationship. What’s to say that things will always be like that? You said so yourself, he doesn’t know you like I do. I’ve known you for less than a week and I already have you figured out. Do you know why that is? It’s because we’re meant to be together. I felt it the first moment our eyes met and I feel it even more now.” He grabbed her hand and placed it over his heart. “Do you feel how fast my heart beats whenever you’re around me? You can’t tell me that he reacts the same way.”

Buffy had tears in her eyes and pulled her hand away, putting some distance between them. It was all happening so fast and she needed to do some serious thinking before she made any decisions. “I have to go.”

Spike was getting irritated at her always walking away, but he wouldn’t let her leave without saying one more thing. “You don’t love him, Buffy.”

She stopped to look at him one more time.

“I know you have feelings for me, you wouldn’t be here right now if you didn’t. It may not be love yet, but it’s pretty damn close to it. And when you figure that out, you know where I’ll be.”

Buffy nodded, and then she was gone.