Author's Chapter Notes:
I know I haven't been as fast with this one, but I really hope you guys are still interested in it. I'm about to get into the good parts. I would love to know what you guys think=)
Chapter 8

It has been exactly one week since Spike last saw Buffy. He figured, miserably, that she just forgot about him and decided to work on her relationship with Lindsey. He just prayed that she wouldn’t actually marry the bloke.


* * * * *


In truth, Buffy’s reason for being away from Spike was not because of Lindsey. Rather, she had decided to spend more time at her mother’s gallery. She had some art stored away in her attic that she determined to donate. Once, she had painted all the time, but gave it up when she became involved with Lindsey. He had told her that it was a waste of time; luckily she kept all of her favorite creations.


* * * * *


Spike found himself sitting on the bench where he had sat with Buffy only about a week ago. It felt like lifetimes had passed. In the past, when he wanted to get his mind off of Drusilla, he would go out and find a woman completely opposite of her to use as a distraction. Things were different now. He didn’t want to get his mind off of Buffy. He just wanted to be with her.

“Hey, is this seat taken?”

Spike shook his head, ripped from his thoughts, and moved over, letting the man sit down. He looked slightly familiar, but he couldn’t place where he saw the dark haired man before. It took a few seconds, but finally, it hit him, and his eyes grew big with realization. “Do you know Buffy?”

The man grinned. “I guess she told you about me. My name’s Riley.” He held his hand out.

Spike shook it after a second. This was the friend Buffy mentioned.

“No need to tell me who you are,” Riley continued. “I’ve heard a lot about you.”

Spike was flattered that Buffy talked about him, though was also weary at what she might have said. “How is she doing?” he asked instead.

“She’s doing better. I know she wants to see you again; she’s just been pretty busy.” Riley paused, and decided to cut the small talk. “Look, I like you. You seem like a decent enough guy and that’s what Buffy needs right now.” He then pulled out a card from his pocket and handed it to Spike.

He grabbed the card and looked it over.

“That’s her mom’s gallery; Buffy has been helping out with it recently. She should be there tomorrow afternoon. Just something to think about.” Riley stood up, knowing that he had done the right thing.

“Why are you helping me? Isn’t Lindsey your brother?”

Riley nodded, but didn’t seem too happy about it. “Basically, my brother’s an ass. Buffy deserves better.”

Spike then watched Riley walk away, leaving him with his thoughts. He knew that he would definitely be paying her a visit.


* * * * *


Joyce Summers beamed at her daughter. “Honey, these paintings are so beautiful.”

“It was the least I could do. I know I haven’t been around much, but that’s all going to change. I can come everyday after class to help out.”

“You don’t have to do that, Buffy. You’ve more than helped out already. I’m sure Lindsey would miss having you at home.”

“That man needs a good kick in the pants, if you ask me,” a disapproving voice volunteered.

Joyce rolled her eyes at her husband’s immaturity. “Honestly, Hank. He’s Buffy’s boyfriend. You shouldn’t say such things.”

“I’m just saying that he’s not right for our daughter. He’s still living in the fifties.”

Buffy cleared her throat. “I’m standing right here, Dad.”

Hank paused, then glanced downward ashamedly. “I’m sorry, baby. You know we just want what’s best for you and if you think he is, well, I’ll try to live with it. I would just love to have grandchildren before I die, unless that’s too much to ask for.”

Buffy cracked a smile. “I don’t think Lindsey’s quite there yet, but I promise it’ll happen.” A small frown crossed her face. She did want children, but she couldn’t picture herself having them with Lindsey. She just decided to bring up the subject about her helping out more. “It’s really no problem to come here more often. Lindsey’s hardly at home much, anyway. I really want to do this. I miss you guys.”

Joyce smiled and hugged her. “We miss you, too.”

Hank joined in on the hug and kissed the top of Buffy’s head.

Joyce then looked to the entrance of the gallery and pulled away. “Well, it looks like we might have a new customer.”

Buffy turned to the entrance as well, surprise written on her face at who said customer was. “I’ll be right back,” she told her parents and then marched over to him. “What are you doing here?”

“Glad to see me, love? I happen to be a big fan of art.”

Buffy obviously didn’t believe him. “How did you know I would be here?”

“I talked to a friend. At least I feel a bit more relieved about what you’ve been doing all week.”

“I told you, I have a lot of decisions to make. It’ll take longer than a week.”

Spike nodded. “I just wanted to see you, that’s all. You look good.”

Buffy blushed, which was becoming a permanent state around him.

“So, do you ever bring the git here?”

She didn’t need to ask who he was referring to. “He’s not really into this stuff. I should go help my mom.”

“We really need to talk, Buffy. I’ll be outside.”

Buffy nodded and went back to join her parents.


* * * * *


Spike waited a few minutes before she joined him. He noticed that she was nervous. That was good; he shouldn’t have to be the only one.

“Are you going to marry him?” He got right to the point, even though he dreaded asking that question.

“I haven’t given him an answer yet.”

Spike figured that was the best he would get out of her. He just watched her standing there, the wind blowing her hair all around her face. He suddenly couldn’t take anymore. He grabbed her around the waist and pulled her closer, planting a firm kiss on her lips. He was a man starved and she was his addiction.

Buffy eagerly returned his kiss, her defenses melting.

He pulled his lips away to trail down her smooth neck.

She moaned and shut her eyes. “Spike, we shouldn’t be doing this here,” she managed to whisper.

He wasn’t about to stop now. “I don’t care. I’m bloody going crazy without you. No one has ever had such an affect on me before. How do you do it?”

Buffy didn’t know how to answer that. She was trying to stay focused, but Spike had started nibbling on her earlobe, and that was a very sensitive spot for her. She finally pushed him away, trying to catch her breath. “We have to stop. I can’t have my parents seeing us. I should really get back inside.”

Spike nodded and let her go, disappointment on his face. “Okay, will you at least come by my place this weekend? We can just talk if that’s all you want. I don’t think I can go another week without seeing you.”

“I don’t know. I’ll have to see if I have any other plans.”

He looked disappointed, though nodded again. “That’s good enough for me.”

She nodded as well, then left back inside the gallery.

Spike decided he would never like watching her walk away from him.


* * * * *


Spike went for a stroll a couple of days later and found himself outside Buffy’s house. He managed to get the address from Riley after he met up with the man again the other day. He knew she probably wouldn’t be home, but he had to see for himself. He would be satisfied by just getting a glimpse of her. It was official; he has become a bloody stalker. Ain’t love grand?

He moved out of sight when the front door opened and Lindsey came out. Spike raised his eyebrows when he saw the man having a snog with a blonde girl, a blonde girl that was definitely not Buffy.