Chapter 9

Spike didn’t know what he would tell Buffy when he saw her. He ended up watching Lindsey and the blonde snog for a few more minutes before the chit finally left. He was infuriated knowing what they were doing in the house, and probably in the bed that Lindsey shared with Buffy. He knew that he had to come clean about what he’d seen, but he was afraid that she wouldn’t believe him—and for good reason. Marking Lindsey for infidelity would enable her to run into Spike’s open, waiting arms with a clear conscience. It was a golden opportunity, even at a terrible price. He put his thoughts on pause when she knocked on his door. Somehow, he instantly knew it was her. Maybe there was something in her knock—he didn’t know.

There was something about Buffy altogether.

Buffy could tell something was wrong the second she stepped into the apartment. “You okay? You usually look happier to see me.”

Spike nodded and ushered her over to the couch, where they both sat down. He grabbed her hand, softly caressing her skin. “I am happy to see you. I just wish it was under better circumstances.” He paused and took a deep breath. “I have something to tell you and you’re not going to like it, but you have to know that I wouldn’t lie to you.”

Buffy pulled her hand out of his grasp. “Spike, you’re really starting to worry me. What’s going on?”

He inhaled sharply before he continued. “I went by your house yesterday. I was just walking and ended up there, it wasn’t planned.” A pause. “Buffy, I saw Lindsey. He was with another woman and they looked pretty cozy.” Spike was apprehensive about her reaction, but she didn’t look all that surprised.

“Was she blonde?”

Spike nodded. “Yeah, wearing a pink dress that left little to the imagination.”

Buffy let out a deep, dejected sigh. “That’s Harmony Kendall. She’s Lindsey’s secretary. I went to his office to surprise him a few months ago and I found her all over him. He told me that she made a pass at him and that he wasn’t interested in her.” She paused, her eyes shining with irritation and the sting of betrayal. “I actually believed him. God, I feel so stupid.”

Spike shook his head. “He’s the stupid one to cheat on a woman like you. I’ve seen classier birds at strip clubs.” He caught himself at that and glanced down sheepishly. “Not that I’ve ever been to one.”

Buffy gave a tiny smile. “Yeah, I’m sure you haven’t. I just can’t believe that I thought things would get better. He’ll never change and it’s about time I accepted that.” She stood up. “I’m going to do what I should have done a long time ago.”

Spike stood as well and followed her to the door. “What’s that, love?”

She turned back to him. “I’m going to break up with Lindsey. I can’t live like this anymore. I hate the person I become when I’m around him. He can have that skank for all I care. I’m sick of him walking all over me.”

Spike graced her with a proud smile. “Can I watch? I promise to stay out of the way while you put the ponce in his place.”

Buffy laughed and shook her head at his enthusiasm. “I’ll be back later.” She left the apartment, but not before placing a kiss on his cheek.

Spike smiled and decided to fix up the place a bit for when she returned. Things were finally starting to look better for him.


* * * * *


When Buffy entered her house, she heard yelling going on. She headed for the living room to see Lindsey and Riley in the middle of an argument.

“I don’t care if you have a key. You can’t just come in here whenever you feel like it. I don’t like you hanging around Buffy. She doesn’t need your influence.”

Riley was steamed, which surprised Buffy as he didn’t usually get pissed off that easily. Then again, his brother always seemed to bring out the worst in him. “My influence? What the hell is that supposed to mean? You’re the one that treats her like crap!”

“Has she been complaining to you about me? She’s just a girl. She doesn’t know anything.”

Buffy fumed at that, and decided that she’d had enough. “What exactly don’t I know, Lindsey?”

The brothers stopped quarrelling when they realized that they had an audience.

“I didn’t mean anything by that, Buffy. Riley’s just causing trouble. You know I don’t like him here.”

Buffy seared him with a look that could kill. “I think we need to talk.” She didn’t even wait for Riley to scamper out of the firing range. “You’re an arrogant jerk, Lindsey. You live in your own world and don’t even realize that you’re hurting the people around you. Especially me. Do you have any idea how it feels when you belittle me and tell me that my clothes aren’t appropriate? When you ignore me when you come home, unless you’re in the mood to talk? It’s my life and I’ll do whatever the hell I want. I’m done listening to you. I was done a long time ago; I have no idea why I haven’t said anything before, but the buck stops here.”

The shocked look on Lindsey’s face was priceless, though short-lived. In seconds, he was red with fury. “How can you be such an ungrateful bitch after everything I’ve done for you?”

Buffy emitted a humorless laugh. “What’s that, exactly? Making me feel horrible about myself? Never letting me see any of my friends because you don’t approve of their lifestyles? Right, I should feel very grateful. We’re over, Lindsey. I don’t want anything to do with you anymore.”

He wasn’t about to let her go. Just like that, his anger melted into charm. “Come on, sweetheart. You’re blowing this way out of proportion. I think we just need to talk about this rationally. I know we can work things out.”

Buffy cringed. Had he always sounded so fake? She stared at him, hard. “Oh yeah? How’s Harmony? You didn’t think I would find out about that, did you? If you ask me, you two deserve each other.”

“She doesn’t mean anything to me. I’m trying to get rid of her, but she’s not taking the hint.”

She rolled her eyes. “It doesn’t matter. You can do whatever you want, just like I can. I’ll be staying somewhere else until I get a place of my own. You can have the house and everything that goes with it. Let’s face it; nothing here ever belonged to me. This isn’t my world. I’m finally going where I really belong.” She then turned her attention on a smiling Riley. “Let’s get out of here.”

Riley nodded and followed her out of the house, loving the fact that his brother wasn’t so in control anymore.