Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you again to whomever nominated this story at Love's Last Glimpse Awards.
THE WORLD IS MINE


Summary: The one in which we find out some more dark secrets of Xander’s and Anya’s. Also Buffy gets a ‘warning’ via mail. How will she react and what does Spike do? Well, I’ll tell you this much; Spike goes caveman and we see the less softer side of our Spike Giles.

A/N: Again, I would like to thank you all for reading this. Thank you for nominating this fiction at the Love’s Last Glimpse Awards. It means so much to me.


Chapter 11: ‘Vengeance Is Mine…..’


Buffy stood in her office, arm poised back in a hurling position; then she let go. The small dart she threw hit ‘bulls-eye’ and her young companion groaned in frustration.

“Gee Miss Summers,” Andrew Preston mumbled under his breath, “I heard you were good at darts, but….”

The blond young woman giggled mischievously and motioned Andrew to sit down in the nearest chair. Their impromptu dart was forgotten, for now.

It had been a mundane morning at the precinct and with Spike off with his uncle doing ‘whatever’ Buffy decided to pass the time with the young office clerk.

Andrew Preston was barely eighteen-years-old and he looked even younger. Almost elfin in appearance, the teen had gotten himself into some minor trouble a while back. Instead of sending Andrew through the usual branches of young offender justice system; Rupert Giles had come to bat for him and had the kid working in the precinct at odd clerical duties. Apparently Rupert saw something in the young man; something more then just a nerdy, troubled teen. With a quick mind and a basically sweet nature, Andrew and quickly become well liked in the precinct.

“You know, Andy,” Buffy began, “I think it’s okay if you call me Buffy and not Miss Summers. It makes me feel like a hundred,” she added with a pout.

“Yes, Miss, I mean Buffy,” Andrew stammered shyly. He focused his blue-eyed gaze on the Buffy’s statue of liberty paper weight on her desk.

“I was thinking, Andrew,” Buffy began again, her lips pursed in thought. “I’m having a bar-b-que, at my condo this weekend,” she continued. “Detective Giles, I mean Spike,” she blushed briefly, “he’s going to do the honors at the grill. His uncle, Rupert and Jennifer Giles will be there and…..”

Andrew gave Buffy that puppy dog look of his, melting her heart even more. Buffy knew Andrew had a ‘thing’ for Jennifer’s young niece, Amanda, and was eager for a proper introduction

“You know Amanda Calendar, right?” Buffy asked slyly, a wicked little grin graced the corners of her mouth.

“Uhm, well yeah,” Andrew sputtered in reply, sure he had made a complete fool of himself.

“Well, I’m inviting Amanda also and of course Willow and her guy, Daniel Osbourne, or Oz as he likes to be called. I thought I’d ask some other people too; make it a real party. I wondered, well thought that maybe you’d like to attend?” Buffy raised her right golden brow; which was for dramatic affect only. She knew Andrew would jump at the chance to really be included in the social activities Buffy had just described.

“Yes Miss Summers!” Andrew exclaimed eagerly. “I mean,” he mumbled shyly, “I would really enjoy your bar-b-que, I’m sure.”


Anya Jenkins was a very practical young woman; in most ways that is. She had a soft spot in her heart for Xander Harris and of course, this was her Achilles Heel, so to speak.

At the moment, Anya was finishing up her wedding plans which had been fairly difficult for her. She had insisted on doing most of it herself, especially since it would be a small affair. After all, it’s not like she had a lot of guests to invite here in Sunnydale. For that matter, Anya didn’t have a lot of friends anyway.

Her entire present life centered around Xander, his brother Frank and oh yes that bitch Faith. Anya hated Faith, literally, but she was Frank’s lover and that meant that she was part of the Harris extended clan.

Of course, Anya totally suspected that her Xander was fucking Faith while they were in Sunnydale. She would gladly have called her fiancé out on it, ages ago, but for one or two little details: Xander would just deny it and the whole confrontation would just throw a monkey wrench in the wedding plans. Anya did not need that now, or ever for that matter.

Then, of course, there was the ‘other’ not so little detail. Anya truly loved Xander and she knew he loved her too. As if this wasn’t enough, Xander also ‘had’ nearly as much dirt on Anya as she did on him.

It was Anya, years before that had aided her lover in the vengeance on his parents. It was Anya that had slipped the dope into the older Harris couple’s tonic water at the restaurant. Even if Xander had provided the untraceable powder; he had convinced Anya to do the deed for him.

Anya sat, deep in thought about the whole incident years before. She finally snapped out of her troubled musings and refocused on the tasks before her. Her mother, Sylvia Jenkins, was due to arrive in Sunnydale by Friday of next week; Anya needed to finish up some last minute details for her arrival.

“Besides,” Anya snorted to herself as she stood up from her chair, “once I’ve got Xander’s wedding ring on my finger? He’ll never touch that skank, Faith again. I know my Xander better then even he realizes,” she added with a wry smile.


Franklyn Harries warily watched his brother, Xander, as he downed another glass of whisky.

‘Christ,’ Frank muttered to himself, ‘you’d think the idiot would hold off until at least noon.’

“Go ahead little bro,” Xander chuckled between sips of another glass. “Don’t hold back, speak your mind,” the older brother snorted.

“Well, since you say so Xander. Can’t you wait until at least noon to start getting shit faced?” Frank could not hide the disgust in his tone.

“I don’t get shit faced,” Xander snorted, but set his glass down on the little table anyway.

“Okay then,” Frank began again, hesitating briefly to think out his next sentence. “Can I ask you why you’re inviting Buffy and a ‘date’ to your wedding?” As if he, Frank Harris, didn’t know the answer to that one.

“Oh, thought we’d have some family of ours there,” Xander replied in his matter of fact voice. He did not, however, look his younger brother in the eyes when he responded. Instead he focused his dark gaze on the nearly empty bottle of Jack Daniels next to his glass.

“Oh for fuck’s sake, Xand,” Frank cursed harshly, “you don’t give a fuck about so called family. What is this shit about Buffy going to ever get you anyway? Can’t you let Anya have ‘her’ day in peace without…..”

“Anya will understand,” Xander mumbled gruffly as he again sipped at his drink.

‘Why bother with the glass?’ Frank thought sarcastically. ‘Why not just drink straight from the bottle?’

“Anya knows what she’s getting into here, Frank She knows why I do what I do.” Xander continued evenly. “Besides, it’s Angel Crawford who’s inviting our little cousin to the wedding, albeit for me,” he finished with a wicked laugh.

“I can’t stand that worthless fuck,” Frank growled menacingly. “He’s thick as mud and a fuck up in general. I don’t see why you involved him in this Sunnydale mess anyway…”

“Because I can,” Xander hissed, cutting his younger brother off. His glass slammed back onto the table, cracking in two in the process.

Xander stood up and began to pace about Frank’s apartment living room, muttering to himself, angrily. Frank watched his brother march about; reminded of some pompous hulking dictator.

After a moment or two, Xander halted his pacing and marched up to his shorter brother. He glared down into Frank’s dark eyes, his own brown eyes burned with anger.

“You’re right, Sunnydale is a fucking mess right now,” Xander growled at the younger man. “You can blame yourself for some of that,” he added snarkily. “Since this town is ‘mine’ I’ll just have to fix it, won’t I?”

Frank looked into his brother’s fiery eyes; he was intimidated, of course, by Xander, but he did not back down.

“So you’re gonna’ fix it by using Angel Crawford to help us? Are you forgetting that it was Crawford that fucked up that whole Robin Wood fiasco?” Frank asked quietly, knowing his idol would not really take out his infamous temper on his own little brother.

“I’ll do what I have to,” Xander grunted in response before he flopped back down on the huge leather couch.

“This is my town; my world, ain’t it? Besides,” he sighed wearily, “I wanted Wood dead, you know that. One more warning for Buffy right? Anyway,” he continued, his voice deadly calm once again, “Angel ain’t gonna’ hurt Buffy or the rest of our dear little family. He’s only gonna’ warn her and her new bleached blond puppy to back off from us, okay?”

“Okay,” Frank sighed in defeat, but he still wasn’t convinced that Xander wanted Buffy merely warned. He feared that his older brother ‘the self-proclaimed king of Sunnydale’ was interested in more then intimidating Buffy Summers.


Buffy perused her condo patio, happily, knowing that her little get together was a smashing success. ‘Smashing’ that’s what William would call it, Buffy thought to herself affectionately; a small smile graced her lips.

At this very fine, sunny Saturday afternoon moment, William/Spike Giles was grilling some hamburgers and a nice tri-tip on Buffy’s brick, built in bar-b-que. Buffy watched as William (the name she chose to call him) debated amicably with Daniel ‘Oz’ Osbourne, Willow’s boyfriend. It appeared that they were discussing the finer points of ‘From First To Last’ as a band vs. the old Sex Pistols.

Of course, Buffy’s boyfriend, William, was arguing the esthetic values of the Pistols, while Oz pointed out the newness and youthful presence of FFTL. Buffy grinned at Jennifer Giles, Rupert’s wife, and received a benevolent smile in return.

Rupert Giles took this opportunity to sidle up next to Buffy and point out how happy his nephew, William appeared to be. Buffy blushed, shyly, still somewhat unprepared to take any credit for Will’s new found happiness.

“He seems quite settled, eh Jenny?” Rupert asked his wife who had now joined Buffy and him by the condo’s sliding glass doorway.

“Yes, he does,” Jenny chuckled warmly. “You’ve been such a good influence on William, Buffy,” she added knowingly. “I’m so glad he finally came here to the States and met you,” she finished with a quick wink in Buffy’s direction.

“William is pretty special,” Buffy purred appreciatively as she watched her guy flip burgers on the grill. “He’s really brilliant, but you know that, right?”

“Too right,” Rupert snorted slightly, taking his glasses off and wiping them on a handkerchief. “William just needs a positive direction in life; seems you’re that very thing Buffy dear,” the older man chuckled and patted Buffy’s arm.

Spike took that moment to look up at the admiring trio and graced Buffy with an adoring smile.

Buffy and Spike were in charge of the hamburgers; tri-tip and bread, while Rupert had whipped up some of his famous potatoes salad. It was Rupert who was the cook in the American Giles’ family and his salads were known throughout Sunnydale.

Oz had brought along a case of beer and his best friend, Devon who had brought Tara, his girlfriend with him. Willow and Tara had made up a huge green salad and homemade dressing to go with.

There were some specially selected bottles of wine and ice cold watermelon for dessert; along with homemade ice cream.

Andrew had shown up with homemade brownies (from his mother) and made a quick bee-line for Jennifer’s niece, Amanda Calendar. At this very moment, Andy was shyly handing the object of his affections a plateful of yummy looking food. Amanda took the plate with a good grace and smiled coyly up at the fair-haired youth.

Buffy grinned at the young couple’s exchange, happy to know that Andrew was really coming out of his shell. Just at Amanda seem to be doing.

The small gathering of people chatted away and ate the simple, yet wonderful feast. All in all, the day was going along great and Buffy felt happier then she had in ages. Never one for entertaining, Buffy ‘right’ about this get together, especially with William in attendance.

‘Maybe this will turn out,’ Buffy thought to herself in contentment. ‘I’m so glad….’ Her happy thoughts were interrupted by her condo’s front doorbell. The doorbell rang through the condo and shrilled out into the patio, alerting Buffy to another guest.

“Everyone’s here I invited,” she mumbled in confusion as she trotted through her condo to the front door.

Spike had followed right behind Buffy, protectively keeping in step with his girlfriend. He had a bad feeling in his gut for some reason and he had no intention of letting Buffy answer the door by herself.

“Sign here, please Miss,” the mail delivery guy asked evenly as he held out his clip board.

“Sure,” Buffy stammered somewhat nervously. She was not used to getting specially delivered mail, even though she was a Sunnydale police officer.

“What’s this then?” Spike asked suspiciously eyeing the two packages of mail that Buffy held in her tiny hands.

“I don’t know,” Buffy replied stuttered as she eyed the two envelopes herself.

Buffy slowly ripped open the smaller of the ‘letters’ who fingers trembled slightly in trepidation.

“Oh, God,” Buffy murmured when she had successfully opened the letter and read it’s contents.

“I…..” she mumbled and held out the fancy white paper that was embossed in gold trim.

“What the fuck!” Spike bellowed when he read the impressive white paper.

“Why the fuck would Xander and Anya invite you to their wedding,” he mumbled.

“I, I don’t know,” Buffy stammered in reply, her green eyes fell on the other large envelope she held in her right hand.

“Open it,” Spike ordered quietly. “Open it, or I will,” he added evenly.

Buffy timidly opened the large, manila envelope, afraid of what she would find in it. Her green eyes widened in horror when she discovered the contents of the mysterious envelope.

“Oh, my God, Will,” she gasped in horror; her right hand shook, visibly as she held out the damning pictures to Spike.

Spike scanned the pictures that Buffy had given him; his blue eyes wide in disbelief.

There were various shots of Joyce and Dawn Summers, along with Dawn’s husband Connor. Apparently, the photographer had taken the cryptic shots in Los Angeles, the city Buffy’s mom and little sister lived in now. Buffy had spilled everything to Spike, along with showing him different pictures of her family there.

“He knows; Xander knows exactly where Mom and Dawnie are,” Buffy whimpered fearfully. She tried to sweep past Will, but the blond man caught her arm and roared, “Uncle Rupes, get in here!”

Rupert Giles hurried into Buffy’s living room, followed by his devoted wife Jennifer.

“What is it?” Rupert asked, a worried scowl marred his handsome mouth.

“It’s this,” Spike hissed as he held out the invitation and pictures to his uncle.

“Oh dear Lord,” Rupert muttered, again removing his glasses and cleaning them furiously.

Buffy finally managed to pull away from Spike and high tail it into her kitchen. Jenny began to follow, but Rupert held his wife in check.

“Wait, Jennifer dear,” Rupert whispered, “I think we’d better go over this with William.”

“I’m gonna’ kick that bastard, Harris’ arse,” Spike growled menacingly as he headed for Buffy’s door.

“I’m not so sure that this is Xander’s work,” Rupert stated, taking his nephew by the arm. “This looks more like Angel Crawford’s work,” he added with a thoughtful frown.

“Who?” Spike asked impatiently, his blue eyes focused on Buffy’s front door.

“Angel Crawford, a local private investigator,” Rupert sighed heavily. “He’s been on our radar for years; never could pen anything on the man, just…..”

“He works for Xander?” Spike asked quietly as he re-scanned the damaging pictures Buffy had received.

“We have been watching Angel for years,” Rupert began attentively, “never could catch him at anything. Not that Crawford is the sharpest tool in the shed; but he is clever enough to escape any damaging evidence against his person.”

“I’ll give him damage,” Spike rasped gruffly as he pulled away from his uncle’s grasp. “I’m going to go talk to Buffy then I’m coming back in here. When I do? I want a business address for this Harris butt monkey, Crawford. After that, I’m leaving for a while, but I ‘will’ be back,” the blond called back as he headed into his girl’s kitchen.

“I would appreciate it if you would go and talk to Buffy, dear,” Rupert whispered to his wife.

“Of course, Rupert,” Jenny Giles replied quickly as she followed her husband’s nephew into Buffy’s kitchen.

Spike found Buffy, huddled in one of her kitchen table chairs; her blond head hung low over the table.

“Baby,” Spike began cautiously, “I’m here. Please, tell me that everything is…..”

“It’s not,” Buffy muttered under her breath. “Nothing’s okay,” she whimpered softly. “Xander, he…..”

“Is dead meat,” Spike finished for her.

“Xander didn’t send this,” Buffy muttered half-heartedly. “It was…..”

“Angel Crawford,” Spike finshed yet another sentence for his lover.

“Yes,” Buffy whispered in response. “He works for Xander, sometimes,” she added sorrowfully. “I went to school with Angel and his now wife, Darla,” she finished with a sad sigh.

“Listen Princess,” Spike began tenderly as he gently stroked Buffy’s soft golden head. “I have to go out for a while, but I’ll be back, understand?”

Buffy looked up into William’s honest blue eyes, her green ones clouded with fear and despaired.

“He won’t stop, you know,” Buffy murmured fearfully, obviously speaking about Xander Harris.

“He will if ‘we’ stop him,” Spike replied evenly. With that, Spike bent down and kissed Buffy’s forehead then turned and sauntered out of her kitchen door. “I love you Buffy,” he murmured sincerely as he headed out of the small but bright kitchen.

It was then that Buffy noticed Jennifer Giles close by and she looked at her supervisor’s wife with pleading green eyes. “Jenny? Where is Will going?” Buffy whispered in her detested little girl’s voice.

“I imagine William is going to do what the Giles men do best,” Jennifer began quietly. “He is going to go and protect, or should I say revenge the woman he loves.”


Spike pulled up in front of a rather dubious looking office building. This was the poorer part of Sunnydale and Spike wasn’t really surprised.

After his uncle had provided a business address for one Angel Crawford, Spike wasted no time in driving his rented car to this very spot. Angel appeared to be in, if the Mercedes in the lot was any indication that is.

“Do you have an appointment,” the idiotic looking woman behind a receptionist’s desk asked Spike. He glanced at the nameplate on the desk and read ‘Nina’ in bright gold letters.

“No, but your boss will surely see ‘me’ girl,” Spike muttered in reply. He knew his blue eyes burned with righteous indignation and this must have impressed the woman because she scurried into her bosses’ inner office. Nina returned quickly and motioned for Spike to enter the main office.

Spike swaggered into the office, stopping when he noticed the dark haired Goliath that sat behind a shoddy little desk. If Spike was intimidated by this other bloke’s obvious size, he pushed the fear down and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Who are you?” Angel Crawford asked the odd looking, obviously bleached blond man before him; although, he had a pretty good idea who he was. Xander Harris had provided an extensive description of one William ‘Spike’ Harris and apparently, this was the man in the flesh.

Angel stood up and sauntered around his desk with his most intimidating posture. Who the fuck did this Billy Idol wanna’ be thing he was? Coming here, to Angel’s office and…..

“I’m your worst fucking nightmare mate,” Spike growled; he reached behind him and pulled out a large wooden bat he had carefully hidden there.

Before Angel could mutter a word or call for help, Spike swung his bat and hit the taller man right in both of this kneecaps. This sent Angel Crawford tumbling forward in pain, which gave Spike the advantage of placing his left foot into the dark haired man’s back shoulder blades.

“What the fuck to you want!?” Angel gasped in pain from his position on his own office floor.

“I want you to leave my girl, Buffy Summers, alone,” Spike hissed as he ground his foot into Angel’s back.

“I….” Angel began defensively.

“You work for Xander Harris,” Spike finished for the incapacitated private detective. “That’s over,” Spike continued matter of factly, his foot still dug into Angel’s back. He viciously kicked Angel in his side with his right foot.

“I think it’s time for you to pull up stakes and move on, Crawford,” Spike chuckled, surveying his victim’s backside. “In fact, I think it’s time for you to pack up your family and get the bloody hell out of Sunnydale. What do you think, Crawford?”

“I,” Angel sputtered into his plush black carpet. “I think maybe you might be right,” he groaned in pain.

“Get out now,” Spike ordered evenly, “and keep running until you’re safely off of Harris’ radar screen,” he added with another swift kick to Angel’s ribs.

“If you don’t,” Spike continued in a deep, menacing voice, “and any other little package arrives at my girl’s house? I’ll hold you personally responsible and like God? Vengeance is mine,” he finished then pulled out his Scotland Yard issued police revolver.

Spike held the gun to Angel’s shaking head and clicked the trigger back. “I mean this, mate,” the blond hissed, “I’ll personally come here, or your home and blow your worthless head off. Now, what are you going to do Crawford?”


A/N: Well, that was hard for me; I don’t know why! Anyway, please read and review. Thank you, spufette.