Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you like this one. It is kind of a bridge chapter and there are anvils in it for future plot line.
THE WORLD IS MINE


Summary: Spike and Buffy greet Brutus at the airport…will the pup like Buffy???

Xander and Anya go on their honeymoon, with complications of course.


A/N: I’m updating this one; then maybe High School Drama before I begin my next new WIP. I am putting Redemption on permanent hiatus because I don’t see much interest in it anymore. I can understand that since I haven’t put my whole heart into it for a long time now.


Chapter 15: ‘Special Delivery’


Buffy was fairly quiet, all the way to the Sunnydale Airport and Spike was ‘concerned’ to say the least. He was never ‘concerned’ normally, but this was Buffy…..and Brutus.

“So, do you think Brutus will like me?” Buffy asked innocently enough. She was staring out the window of Spike’s rented car, almost in a daze.

“Well, yeah,” Spike stammered nervously. “Brutus will love you, sweet; he’d better, or I’ll…..”

“Will,” Buffy hissed as she shot him one of her patent impatient glares. He had become somewhat used to these and had learned how to deflect them.

“I’m just saying that my mutt better be on his best behavior Princess,” he offered gallantly. “Brutus better be a perfect gentleman or…..”

“Hmmmm,” Buffy hummed anxiously.

‘This is ridiculous,’ Buffy thought to herself, somewhat disgusted with her whole unsure demeanor.

This was a dog for God’s sake. A dog! So what if the pooch didn’t like her; who cared???

Well, she did, actually; for some reason that is. In fact, Buffy cared a whole hell of a lot if Spike’s pup liked her or not.

“So, tell me, again, about Akitas, huh?” Buffy asked quietly, her gaze once again focused on the passing scene of the highway.

“Well, they’re great watch dogs; and companions,” Spike offered casually. He had his blue eyes focused on the highway, which was a good thing, actually.

“They’re bred, originally in Japan as fighting dogs, but they’re incredible watch dogs too. The first two were brought to the States by Helen Keller.”

“The Helen Keller,” Buffy asked in disbelief. “As in the Miracle Worker?” Her mouth flopped open like a fish and this caused Spike to snort, briefly in response.

“Yeah ‘that’ Helen Keller,” he replied proudly. “Seems the Japanese people revered her; called her Saint Keller as a matter-of-fact. A Japanese business man, back in ‘37’ thought one of his litters would fit Ms. Keller’s needs, so he made a gift of the little bloke. Poor thing died early on and Ms. Keller was said to be heart-broken. The Japanese man sent her another pup, right away, all the way to New York, I think.”

“Akitas are especially respected in Japan,” he continued easily falling into the back story of his pet’s magnificent line.

“There was an Akita ‘Hachi-Ko’ was his name. He was so bloody loyal to his owner; the bloke worked in a big city in Japan. The owner had to take the train everyday to the city and Hachi-Ko would go to the station to greet him home at night. Came time when the owner passed away and the dog still went to the bloody train station and waited patiently at the right time for him. I guess Hachi wouldn’t give up hope that his owner would return some day. The citizens of the bloke’s village were so impressed that they erected a bronze statue of Hachi-Ko at the train station.

“Wow,” is all Buffy could whisper in reply. She was quite impressed herself and wondered again if Brutus would take to her?

The couple pulled up to the fair-sized Sunnydale Airport and Spike parked the car. They headed, in mutual silence to the terminal to meet Brutus the Akita.

Buffy was suddenly terrified. What if Brutus didn’t like her?





{At the Five-Star Hotel ‘The Four Seasons'; in the City by the Bay}



“I wanted to go to Maui,” Anya whined as she sashayed over to the expansive balcony door and stared out of it, glumly.

“This suits me better,” Xander grunted in reply, his nose in Frisco newspaper.

“Some honeymoon,” Anya grumbled bitterly throwing open the balcony door of their suite. “Why couldn’t we go to Maui? I wanted to go to Maui,” she repeated in a childish whimper.

“I need to stay in the US; in this area,” Xander explained with a sigh, sipping his whisky he got from the huge in-room bar of their suite.

“Right,” Anya hissed with a roll of her brown eyes. “I’ll remind you that Hawaii is in the US,” she mumbled, eyeing her husband’s open bottle of booze.

“Yeah, I know Ahn,” Xander replied in his tone of exaggerated patience, “but I need to be in this part of the US. Angel Crawford and that bitch of a wife of his were spotted up near Eureka and…..”

“Christ,” Anya muttered huffily, “business again! Even on our so-called honeymoon.

“You knew the job was dangerous when you took it baby,” Xander chuckled sarcastically.

“I didn’t know that our marriage would be a job Xander,” she murmured sadly, her dark eyes surveyed the scenery out of their suite.

“Or that Jesse and Mitch would be along; in the adjoining rooms to our suite for that matter,” she added bitterly.

“We might as well have asked my mother and your brother along with us,” she huffed. “Even that slut, Faith, should have joined in; after all, she was hitting all over Jesse at our wedding.”

“That’s my brother’s problem,” Xander snorted. “If he can’t keep his woman in line, then that’s on him,” he finished smugly.

“Do you even ‘like’ your brother Xander?” Anya asked seriously. “I mean, if you think about it; why would you…..” she let the question trail off when she spied the murderous look in her groom’s chocolate eyes.

“I love my brother Anya,” Xander hissed, slamming the newspaper down on the antique end table. He stood up and strode over to join her by the beveled glass door.

Xander clasped Anya by the arms and violently pulled her to him. He glared down into his wife’s dark eyes; his anger made Anya tremble in fear.

“You know who ‘I’ am, Anya…who you are and how we both need protection. That’s why Jesse and Mitch are here and for no other reason!” Xander’s dark eyes flashed in anger at his bride.

“Look,” he pointed out at the Pacific Ocean with his right hand. “There’s a fucking huge ocean out there, just like by Hawaii. Go walk around on the Wharf tomorrow and watch it all day for all I give a fuck! Take Jesse and Mitch with you and sight-see all week for God’s sake!”

“Are you going to go into bitch mode, now that we’re legally hitched babe? Cos if you are, then I better warn you that…..” He paused and scanned Anya’s deep, soulful eyes. She was terrified of him, that much he could tell.

Xander suddenly felt like the first class shit-head he truly was.

“Anya,” Xander whispered softly as he placed her head into his chest. He nuzzled the top of her dark head and kissed it tenderly.

“I have got to take control of this Angel problem, don’t you get that? If that prick talks to anyone outside of our little circle; I’m fucked completely and so are you,” he mumbled harshly. “I’m just trying to protect you; me and our family baby, that’s all,” he offered sincerely.

“I know,” Anya whispered in reply, a lone tear slipped down her right cheek. “I just wanted to have some time to ourselves,” she explained meekly. “To, you know be together, alone and maybe start our family.”

‘That’s the ticket,’ Xander realized suddenly. ‘Get her knocked up, immediately, and that’ll settle her ass down for good.’

Xander pulled back and peered into Anya’s doe-like eyes, “you missed your last shot, right?” He asked quietly as he gently stroked her soft hair with his big hand.

“Uh huh,” she replied sheepishly, her eyes focused on the huge diamond and gold wedding set on her ring finger.

“Good,” he sighed in relief. “Because I’m going to make you a mother half a dozen times over before we’re finished,” he smirked wolfishly.

“Really?” Anya asked hopefully, her dark eyes brimmed with tears of joy.

“Really,” Xander replied sincerely, just before he picked up his bride and carried her to their honeymoon bed.

“I’m going to make a great mom,” Anya giggled happily embracing Xander tightly.

“I know,” he whispered tenderly.

“I love you so much Xander,” she hummed as he undressed her.

“I love you too,” he replied earnestly.

The problem is,’ he thought to himself, sadly, ‘that I love Buffy more.’


{Back at Sunnydale Airport}


“This arrived special delivery, for you Mr. Giles,” the airport employee motioned at the huge ‘traveling pet pen’ that the airline provided.

“Thanks mate,” Spike replied jovially and headed over to the carrier that held his beloved Brutus.

Buffy peered at the ‘carrier’ and two dark eyes glaring out of it; wild eyes they were, she felt.

“Uhm, maybe I should step aside and let and Brutus re-acquaint, naturally,” Buffy offered timidly.

“Nope,” Spike protested mildly. “You two need to meet right up front. He’s going to be spending a lot of time with you after all.”

Spike leaned down and unclasped the pen lock to set his pet free.

Brutus came bounding out of the carrier and nearly leapt into Spike’s awaiting arms. Buffy felt oddly out of place and crept over to a nearby table, hoping to appear uninterested in the dog and his master.

She felt as if she was intruding in her boyfriend’s reunion with his best friend.

‘Whoa! Boyfriend! Where the hell did that come from???’ Buffy’s silent slip to herself temporarily dazed her, briefly.

Spike interrupted her musings by leading Brutus over to the table where she stood.

“This is Buffy boy,” he rattled off evenly. “You’re going to stay with her and she is very important to me…so, you’re going to be on your best behavior, aren’t you Brutus?”

Brutus reared back and sat on his massive haunches; his massive head was tilted to one side and he eyed his master’s girlfriend with intent curiosity.

“He’s huge,” Buffy stammered nervously eyeing the bear-like animal before her.

“Brutus just needs to warm up to you, and he will,” Spike assured her in a soothing tone. “Akitas are bloody masters of intuition, Princess. When he sizes you up and figures out you’re square, he’ll make up to you and…..”

Right at that moment, Brutus jumped up from his sitting position and leapt at Buffy, his huge tail wagging. The dog began to lick Buffy’s petite hand; his sign of affectionate introduction no doubt.

“I want you to like me Brutus,” Buffy murmured gently patting his huge head. “Besides,” she whispered conspiratorially, “I come bearing welcome gifts!”

Buffy held out her left hand, displaying the extra-large, juicy looking bone she had picked up from the butchers just that morning.

Brutus spied the bone and his brown eyes flew open wider then before. He eagerly eyed the delicious looking bone, then glanced at his master; making a silent appeal for permission to taste the unexpected treat.

“I don’t think ‘liking’ you is going to be a problem, sweetheart,” Spike chuckled as he nodded his permission to his dog.


After a simple meal of take-out Chinese and a shared bottle of chardonnay; Brutus’ sleeping arrangements had been decided. At least for the time being.

Buffy had pointed out that they had not purchased a decent dog house for the Akita, so it only seemed logical that Brutus should stay in Buffy’s service porch at night. At least for a while.

Spike had no doubt that Brutus would be taking up residence, permanently, in Buffy’s condo; after all, it had been mutual love at first sight. For Buffy and Brutus both.

Brutus was pleasantly ensconced in Buffy’s service porch, along with his favorite toy; a warm blanket and his bone, of course. The airplane trip must have been tiring because the Akita was sound asleep, his massive bear-like head rested on his huge paws.

Spike and Buffy were happily snuggled up in her bed, finishing off another bottle of wine together. Their naked bodies were sated from their last round of love-making and Buffy felt, well…pretty damned contented for once.

“Brutus seems happy doesn’t he?” Buffy asked quietly sipping her glass of chardonnay. “Even in my service porch?”

“He is,” Spike assured her as he nuzzled her soft, warm head with his lips.

“I suppose you think that your dog being here means you have squatter’s rights to my place, huh?” Buffy asked with a giggle, her mouth was twisted in a coy little smile. She glanced at Spike out of the side of her green eyes.

“I bet you think because Brutus has resident rights here, that you plan to maneuver your way over here any time you like, right?” Buffy stifled another giggle, but grinned widely at her own question.

“Well, yeah, that’s the general plan, baby,” Spike chuckled merrily. He nipped at Buffy’s neck and stroked her bare arm tenderly.

“I really like your plan William,” she replied simply, then broke out into peals of happy laughter.


A/N: Hope that wasn’t too sappy.

A little hint here; some anvils were dropped in this chapter. I will give away this much; there is a baby on the horizon for one of our couples in this story. It may not be who you think???!!!


Thanks for reading, please review, spufette.