Author's Chapter Notes:
I am submitting this chapter today because I'm feeling a bit better now about RL and alot of things!
Yeah!
Anyway, please read and review and thank you for this lovely site and you lovely readers.
THE WORLD IS MINE


Chapter 2:


Summary: Spike and Buffy actually meet, face-to-face that is! Oh, Spuffy sparks will fly immediately, have no fear!

On a darker note; Xander and Anya return to Sunnydale for a quick visit. Could there be a Sunnydale reunion in the works?

A/N: This is a long chapter and I will explain the authoress of the beginning quote in the end author’s note. Thank you.


Chapter 2: ‘Monsters And Angels’


{Until you free yourself from the final monster in the jungle of your life; your soul is up for grabs…..Rona Barrett}





William Giles watched the passing scenery as he leaned back into the rather comfortable seat of the limo. Apparently his Uncle Rupert had decided to kill the fatted calf and all; for his arrival into Sunnydale, California, USA. It was Uncle Rupert who had sent the limo to the somewhat less then formidable little airport that was Sunnydale International.

Spike, as William was informally called, reached into the mini-bar and pulled out a diet coke. The whisky and other liquor called to him, but it was still morning in California. Even Spike Giles knew enough protocol to not drink alcohol before noon for God’s sake.

As he rode the last few miles to the Sunnydale Police precinct, Spike thought about his trip here and the reasons for it.

True enough, Spike knew more about the criminal mind then most law enforcement experts; no question about that. His uncle had apparently convinced Miss Buffy Summers of it, as well as the Sunnydale boys in blue.

However, there was a more personal reason for Spike to be here, now, in Sunnydale. For years now, Spike had been somewhat obsessed with Buffy Summers herself.

Some time ago, Uncle Rupert had sent Spike some photos of his wife, Jennifer and various other people in their lives. Spike remembered the first time he saw the photograph of Rupert, Jennifer, Joyce and yes, Buffy and her little sister Dawn.

Spike had read about, in letters, and heard about, via telephone and internet, about the virtues of Buffy Summers. Uncle Rupert had taken the young woman in as a protégé; well before she graduated from the police academy. It was the picture, though, the one of Buffy’s graduation from said academy that had caught Spike’s eye and intense interest.

There was something in that picture of Buffy; her long golden hair hung well past her shoulders and her huge green eyes mesmerized him. Even from an E-mailed photo print to him from the proud mentor, Rupert Giles.

The minute, no the second he had laid eyes on a full grown Buffy, Spike was smitten with her. He had fallen fast and furiously; shot by Cupid’s own bow.

There was something so soulful in Buffy Summers’ green eyes; even though Spike had only sensed it through a printed photograph off of his computer. However, those soulful emerald green eyes of hers also emitted something more; a sense of loss Spike felt. Spike felt he could literally ‘see’ right into Buffy’s soul through her eyes, even if it was only an impersonal photo that he looked at.

‘Always was a poetic ponce,’ Spike chuckled to himself as he thought about that photo. Even now, while he rode to Sunnydale precinct; Spike knew the photo was safe and sound, packed into his suitcase in the trunk of the limo.


Buffy Summers sat at her desk in her little office in the dreary building known as (dum-da-da-dum) Sunnydale Police Department #1. Of course, there was only one Sunnydale police department and this was it, oh tra-la.

It had been almost a week since poor Robin Wood had been buried; military and police protocol met at every turn thank you very much. Although things at the precinct were beginning to return to somewhat normal, Buffy still felt that everyone around her was watching her. Judging her; condemning her and yes, passing the order of execution on her.

‘Maybe it’s all the pot I’ve been smoking lately,’ Buffy reasoned in a moment of actual mental lucidity. ‘Maybe I’m just being paranoid?’

At the moment, Buffy was incredibly tired and simply put; she was bored out of her skull. Today was the big red letter day; the day when Rupert Giles’ sainted nephew ‘His Highness William Giles’ or ‘Sir Spike-a lot’ was to show his angular face in Sunnydale.

“Whoopie,” Buffy muttered in mock excitement. Oh, she was bitter about this alright. To think that Rupert Giles didn’t even trust her enough to not need the help of some Brit from across the pond! It was more then Buffy could stand and frankly, she’d made evil plans all last night. Plans to humiliate the unwelcome newcomer and make his very existence unbearable here in good old Sunnyhell.

Buffy sat in Giles’ office, her long right leg was crossed, non-chalantly over her left one. She had specifically worn a very inappropriate outfit that day; a short, short black skirt with a blood red silk rather low cut shirt.

“Nice outfit,” Rupert mumbled under his breath; he didn’t even look at his protégé at all. He just went over his paperwork and occasionally sipped his tea from time to time.

In fact, old Rupert hadn’t even bothered to speak to Buffy much at all since she had arrived in his office an hour earlier. Apparently, her boss had sent a limo for his Saint William whose plane had been somewhat late.

Just as Buffy felt the need to stick a pencil up her nose (out of sheer boredom) for something to do; Rupert’s secretary rang in on his intercom.

“William Giles is here Mr. Giles,” Doris the frumpy secretary chattered away in her annoyingly cheerful voice.

‘Why does Rupert have such a twit for a secretary?’ Buffy asked herself for the umpteenth time. ‘And if she’s such a twit, why not a young pretty one then?’

It suddenly dawned on Buffy that Jennifer Giles probably had a lot of say about her husband’s choice of office employees. Jennifer certainly had nothing to worry about, as far as Rupert’s faithfulness to her. However, like most women, Jenny could get some funny ideas sometimes. Buffy certainly knew all about that.

Buffy heard her captain’s office door open and the heavy steps of what could only be Doc Marten’s as they hit the tiled floor. She stood up and turned to face her ‘new partner’ with just the right amount of an indifferent stance.

‘Holy God!’ Buffy gasped silently to herself, in her own mind. ‘I thought that this guy was a nerd or something!’

Boy; had Buffy been misled, or misinformed that is by Rupert Giles! His nephew had changed, immensely from the shy looking, bookish young man in the photo on Rupert’s desk.

The good looking Brit standing in front of Buffy was not nearly so bookish or insecure looking. He was well, he was anything but that; he almost looked as if he walked on the dark side to Buffy anyway.

This guy looked like a Billy Idol imitator; right down to the leather duster and bleached blond hair. Was that a freaking sneer on William’s handsome mouth?

William Giles said nothing, just stood in front of the women he had been lusting after for years. Via a photograph that his uncle had sent him that is.

‘Buffy’s even more beautiful in person,’ Spike told himself repeatedly as he eyed her up and down. He noted the confused, almost surprised look in Buffy’s expressive emerald green eyes.

‘That’s right,’ Spike remembered suddenly, slightly amused. ‘She’s probably only seen that one photo of me; the one before I changed my look and…..’

As Spike and Buffy stood, sizing each other up, they both failed to notice Rupert Giles at all. Even when the older man cleared his throat, politely of course, to get his protégés’ attentions.

“I see you two have uhm, spied each other then?” Rupert Giles muttered under his breath. “Oh well; here goes,” he continued in his clipped British accent.

“Buffy Summers this is my nephew William Giles,” Rupert began somberly.

“Spike it is,” Spike held out his hand to take Buffy’s tiny one in it. He immediately lifted her long slim hand up and placed a chaste kiss on the back of it.

“Wow,” Buffy murmured, completely stunned by this newcomer’s greeting.

“William, ehr Spike, this is Buffy Summers,” Rupert mumbled; a slight scowl on his fine mouth.

“Yeah, I know,” Spike chuckled deeply, never taking his blue eyes off of Buffy’s wide green ones.

For the next hour or so, Rupert brought Spike up to speed on the Harris case. Buffy had an uncanny feeling that Spike had stared at her the entire time Rupert was speaking.

Actually, it wasn’t just a feeling on Buffy’s part; Spike had been staring at her the entire time. If Rupert noticed however, he said nothing about it.

Finally, Rupert stopped talking and started asking Buffy and Spike some questions of his own.

“I think if I take Buffy out tonight,” Spike suddenly interrupted his uncle, “to dinner say,” he continued. “We could catch up together on the case and all,” he finished with what he felt was quite a charming smile at the lady.

Spike grinned at a very surprised looking Buffy, but then frowned when he saw she shook her head no.

“I don’t ‘see’ co-worker socially that is,” Buffy stammered nervously with a shake of her golden head. ‘At least not anymore,’ she thought ruefully.

“Well, we could call it ‘business and have a nice chat,” Spike interjected hopefully.

‘Business my arse,’ Spike grumbled silently. ‘It might start as business but I’ll make sure it ends up pleasure,’ he assured himself.

Buffy was about to reject Spike’s offer once again, when Officer Riley Finn burst into the Rupert’s office. The large, hulking policeman seemed extremely excited as he practically ran up to where Buffy sat.

“Sorry,” Riley huffed a quick apology for the rude interruption. “I’ve got some news, from our inside source, on Harris and Jenkins,” he exclaimed proudly.

“Guess who’s back in Sunnydale?” Riley asked excitedly when no one else in the office spoke.

“Adolph Hitler and Eva Braun?” Buffy quipped sarcastically, still unable to meet Riley’s gleaming brown eyes.

Spike burst into laughter when the big oaf, Finn, stopped and actually took a breath. This Riley looked a bit confused at the non-chalant reaction of the lovely Miss Summers. Oh, and Spike also noticed how Buffy refused to meet Finn’s dumbfounded gaze.

“No, Buffy,” Riley whined, “Alexander Harris and Anya Jenkins! Our mole called us, just a minute ago. Harris and his bimbo showed up at the airport just minutes ago. From what our guy said,” Riley continued, “those two are here for a while. They brought three bodyguards and I don’t know how many suitcases and…..”

Rupert took this moment to interrupt Riley’s tirade. “Thank you Officer Finn,” his captain said politely. “We will digest this bit of information and come up with a new plan.”

Riley knew a dismissal when he heard one and nodded at his superior. “Anything for Buffy,” Riley murmured as he shot her a longing glance just before he left the office.

Spike watched the hulking man leave with narrowed eyes. ‘There’s something between them, or there was something between them,’ he surmised about Buffy and this Finn idiot. He felt a wave of possessive jealousy wash over him.

Buffy sat silently staring at Rupert’s closed office door, deep in thought. Even though she and Riley had called it quits, romantically, years ago; Buffy still felt a bit weird around him.

“Friend of yours?” Spike asked her suddenly pulling Buffy from her quiet thoughts.

“You could say he ‘was’ once,” Buffy mumbled her somewhat embarrassed reply. She glanced at Spike, who appeared to be green with jealousy and this stunned her completely.

‘He barely knows me. Why would he be so interested in Riley and me? Or any guy and me,’ Buffy asked herself, quite confused by now.

Spike glanced over at his uncle who was watching 'him' carefully. Rupert's left bushy brow was raised slightly and there was that bloody pinched look in his face again. Uncle Rupert had the most disapproving look on his face and Spike was about to say something about that when Buffy’s musical voice stopped him.


“Well, I suppose Xander and Anya will head right to La Mezzanote In Milano,” Buffy mumbled to herself, still deep in thought.

“It’s Anya’s favorite Sunnydale restaurant,” she explained quickly to both Rupert and Spike. “Xander worships Anya; he’d walk over hot coals for her,” she finished thoughtfully.

“What do you say, Spike,” Buffy continued, suddenly quite animated. “Let me go ahead and take you up on your dinner request? La Mezzanote is the best place in town and maybe you should meet our Sunnydale Bonnie and Clyde there?”


“Of course,” Spike replied gallantly. “I’ll have dinner with ‘you’ anyway I can,” he chuckled as he watched Buffy Summers blush all kinds of pretty shades of red.


Buffy scurried around her bedroom, various outfits were strewn around the room. The word anxious as a description for Buffy’s present emotional state would be an understatement. She was terrified by this impromptu dinner date with Spike Giles. No, she wasn’t quite terrified; more like petrified. Actually, she was petrified and pretty damned excited by the ‘date’ tonight.

The truth was; Buffy hadn’t been out on a date in a while; but not for lack of local guys asking her. She had just been out of circulation, socially, for a while; by her own choice of course. In fact, Buffy was rather looking forward to dinner with Spike Giles tonight. Even if she had a feeling she might be biting off more then she could chew; date wise that is.

After the big announcement by poor old Riley earlier that day, Rupert had taken Spike to his home to settle him in there. Spike would be staying with Rupert and Jenny Giles while he was here in Sunnydale.

Spike had arranged for a rental car and told Buffy that he would pick her up at 7:30 PM sharp for supper at La Mezzanote. Since she had gotten home this afternoon, Buffy had been frantically trying to pick out the perfect outfit for their date.

Finally, she chose the simple black cocktail dress; sweetly pretty, but sexy too. For some reason, Buffy wanted to really ‘wow’ Spike, even though she had a weird feeling that he may have already been wowed by her.

“Vanity, thy name is Buffy,” she giggled at her reflection in the full length mirror. “However, you do look pretty damned hot girl,” she finished with a wink and a grin at herself.

It was exactly 7:30 PM when her front doorbell rang and Buffy hurried to answer it. About midway in the living room, she stopped still. ‘Geez, I’m worse then a teenager,’ she chided herself before she began to walk slowly to the front door.

Spike had to take a deep breath when Buffy opened the door to him and he took in her ‘look’ for their date. She looked like a fucking goddess to him, even more now then ever.

“You look amazing Buffy,” he gasped as he gave her the once over again. He could feel his eyes grow even wider the third time he gazed up and down at this gorgeous creature before him.

Buffy wore a divine little black dress that was just short enough to show off her lovely long legs to full advantage. Spike could tell the dress was probably backless and he couldn’t wait to get a look at her exposed flesh from behind. He was pleased that Buffy wore her golden lock down; loose and flowing about her shoulders and arms. The make-up she wore was Smokey and sexy; a perfect compliment to her outfit.

“You look pretty darned good yourself, Spike,” Buffy retorted with a saucy little giggle. He did look great, Buffy had to admit. Gone were the leather duster and black jeans and tee shirt. For their ‘date’ Spike had dressed in well fitting trousers, still black of course and a blue button down shirt. He wore a casual but very expensive looking black jacket over his attire.

“Come in for a quick drink,” she asked coyly.

Of course, Spike accepted her delightful invitation inside.


Spike sat and just watched the beautiful Buffy Summers nibble at her antipasta salad. He was pleased to note that his date had seemed pretty relaxed and comfortable all evening. Spike only hoped that Buffy noticed he too was very relaxed and comfortable around her.

When they had arrived at the restaurant, Buffy’s appearance had caused a quiet riot amongst the other diners. Both men and women stopped their eating and conversations to appraise the beautiful girl on Spike’s arm. Spike had even heard some of the more loud comments of approval from the other patrons.

‘I suppose she causes quite a stir where ever she goes,’ Spike thought warmly, ‘especially dressed to kill like she is tonight.’ These private musings had caused him to smile since they had been seated at a particularly secluded booth.

The conversation, so far between Spike and Buffy had been relaxed and pleasant. In the hour or so they had been at La Mezzatone; sipping good wine, ordering their meal and munching appetizers and salad.

About midway through their main entrée; Spike was about to ask Buffy about her childhood when he noticed she had gone suddenly pale. In fact, the poor girl looked as tense as could be and her whole body seemed frozen. Buffy’s wide green eyes looked past Spike and seemed to be focused on something or someone behind them.

“Buffy, what is it luv?” Spike asked carefully, although he had a pretty good idea just what had upset her.

Xander Harris strode through the La Mezzatone as if he owned the joint. Well, it made sense really, because he did own half interest in it.

It also helped Xander’s massive ego that he was accompanied by his two best friends in the world. Jesse Coulton and Scott Hope not only were Xander’s friends; they were his two most trusted bodyguards.

At first Tony, the maitre’d, tried to show the Harris entourage into a private room in the very back of Mezzatone, but Xander suddenly stopped him. For some reason, Xander had an inner sense; an intuition if you will. He was drawn to the other side of the main dining area. When Tony showed them to another secluded area of the main dining area; Xander homed in on the reason for his astute intuition.

“Well, well, well,” Xander chuckled gleefully as he watched Buffy’s reaction to his presence. “If it ain’t pretty little Buffy Summers; my own personal angel.”

Jesse tapped his boss on the arm and whispered excitedly. "Hey, Xander since we’re stuck in this lousy town for a while, Xander, can I take a shot at Summers? I don’t mean with a bullet, you know? I mean that in a sexual way, Xand,” Jesse continued jovially. “You have Anya and…..”

“Nobody touches Buffy, got it?” Xander growled at Jesse; his dark eyes burned with fire.

“Okay, okay, boss. I get it,” Jesse grumbled in reply.

“Hello gorgeous,” Xander greeted Buffy after he closed the space gap between them and her table. When he finally stood right in front of the small, private booth she sat, frozen still he noted; Xander realized that his ‘angel’ was accompanied by an apparent date.

A strong feeling of overpowering jealousy hit Xander Harris like a tidal wave. He glared at Buffy’s companion; some bleached blond freak who obviously knew exactly who he, Xander was.

Spike watched Xander Harris’ reaction to his presence with even greater interest then before. The blond policeman noted the second Xander’s snide smirk transformed into a sick, twisted frown. It was when Harris spied Spike sitting across the table from Buffy.

‘Bloody hell if this obsession Harris has for Buffy has gone way past dangerous,’ Spike contemplated as he continued to clock Xander’s reaction. ‘Harris is in love with Buffy,’ he realized instantly by the jealous outrage he saw in Xander’s chocolate brown eyes.

“Hello Xander,” Buffy stammered nervously as she fiddled with the cloth napkin on her lap. She finally got up the courage to look her ex-friend in his soulless dark eyes.

“Where’s your uhm, well, I was going to say your better half,” Buffy continued in a snide tone. “But we both know Anya and you are about equal; as far as your stellar reps go so…..”

“Anya’s at our Sunnydale penthouse. We’re going to be here for a while and she wanted to settle us in,” Xander explained through gritted teeth. “I’m havin’ dinner here with my boys and takin’ Anya’s favorite pasta home to….”

“Just why the fuck am I explaining this to you?” Xander muttered harshly.

“I’d prefer it if you didn’t talk like a sailor in front of the lady, Harris,” Spike spat angrily.

“Who’s this?” Xander asked Buffy; completely ignoring Spike.

“My date,” Buffy replied evenly. “William Giles, this is Xander Harris and…..”

“Giles,” Xander snorted, “you’re old Rupert’s nephew, aren’t you? The cop from England?” Xander looked pretty smug, briefly, as he sized up this British Billy Idol wannabe.

“That’s right. I’m here on assignment you might say,” Spike replied in a terse tone. “I’m Buffy’s new partner,” he added with a cheeky smile at Buffy. Spike noted that his double innuendo did not go unnoticed by Xander.

Xander didn’t extend his hand in greeting, but then again, neither did Spike. Buffy just sat silently, still nervously picking at her expensive cloth napkin.

“Sorry about Robin, Buff,” Xander offered insincerely in his nasally voice. “He was a good guy and…..”

“We’re going to take you down, you know that right?” Buffy gruffly asked Xander. She bravely stared her old friend and present nemesis in the eye.

‘Good girl,’ Spike thought, smiling proudly. ‘Don’t let the fucking wanker push your buttons sweetheart!’

“You can try,” Xander countered indifferently. “Oh, Giles,” he continued snarkily, “you’re lucky that you’re Buff’s new partner. Our girl here has a history of let’s see, how do I put this politely? Oh, yeah, she likes to cozy up to her partners. She’s such a good girl that way and all.”

The three men standing burst out into laughter; that is until Spike slammed his own napkin onto the table and stood up.

“Look here Harris,” he growled through clenched teeth. He clenched and unclenched his large hands at his side. “I won’t have you talkin’ about Buffy like that and…..” Spike began again, but Buffy cut him off.

“Never mind Spike, please,” Buffy pleaded softly, her green eyes were the size of saucers. She glanced back and forth at her blond companion and her dark-haired worst enemy.

“Please sit down, Spike,” Buffy whispered; her voice was filled with pain. “Go away Xander, okay? Just take your hired killers and walk off with some sense of dignity for once. You’re making more of an ass out of yourself then of anyone else.”

“Okay, sweet,” Spike mumbled gruffly. “I’ll back off, for you,” he finished with a frown at Xander.

“I’m gonna’ wipe this town up with your fat arse, Harris,” Spike muttered under his breath. He wasn’t sure if Xander had heard him right or not.

Xander flinched, visibly, but seemed to relax a bit before he shrugged his massive shoulders. He stared at Buffy again; a slow smile formed on his large mouth.

“Take care my soul’s personal guardian angel and I’ll tell Anya you said hi,” he chuckled good-naturedly. “I’m sure we’ll all be seeing each other soon,” he finished with a non-chalant wave. Then, Harris turned and strode off; followed right behind by Jesse and Scott.

“Maybe we should go,” Buffy whispered miserably as she set her napkin on the table. She looked as if she was going to by physically ill.

“I say we stay,” Spike mumbled; taking another bite of his delicious pasta. “We stay and finish this amazing supper; the one that’s costing me a fortune and yeah, even order desert.”

Spike chuckled as he spoke and grinned at Buffy affectionately. “Don’t let him win, Princess,” he murmured tenderly while he reached over and patted Buffy’s petite hand. “He’s a bloody moron and an even bigger psychotic then I thought. Don’t let him push your buttons, sweetheart,” he ordered her soothingly.

“I know, but….” Buffy’s reply trailed off.

“I didn’t you know,” she began again in a raspy whisper.

“Didn’t what, sweetling?” Spike asked quietly, although again, he pretty much figured out what she was talking about already.

“I didn’t sleep with ‘all’ my past partners, Spike,” Buffy sighed. “Xander was implying I slept with Robin Wood and all. I swear to God, Spike, I didn’t and…..”

“I know that Buffy,” Spike interrupted her and took her tiny hand in his large one. He gazed, soulfully into her amazing green eyes and smiled kindly.

“You’re not the kind of lady who would sleep with a married man, Buffy, that’s obvious,” he continued evenly.

Buffy smiled, her green eyes shown with gratitude to Spike for believing her and understanding her position in all of this.

“Buffy why does Xander call you his soul’s personal guardian angel?” Spike asked suddenly; he held her hand tight in his.

“It’s kind of a long story,” Buffy sighed sadly in response. “I’m not sure I can go into all of it; not here and now,” she finished with a pretty pout.

“Tell you what then. Let’s finish this wonderful supper here and then head out to a nice pub somewhere close. You must know a quiet, decent place to have a couple of drinks and maybe talk about this more, yeah?” Spike smiled tenderly at the confused, upset young woman whose hand he held so tightly in his.

“Okay,” Buffy replied shyly. “Only I might need more then a couple of drinks and I have to warn you,” she paused briefly. “Alcohol and Buffy Summers are pretty damned unmixy; so be prepared,” she finished with a wicked little giggle.

‘tbc’


A/N: Okay, I wanted to explain the quote at the beginning of the chapter. Rona Barret was, of all things, a gossip columnist on TV back in the day (long long ago). When I stumbled upon this quote by her in an inspirational book I was reading; I felt it would be appropriate for our characters in this fiction.

In the next chapter, I will reveal some of the reasons Xander believes Buffy to be the guardian angel of his soul.

Oh and readers can look forward to a tipsy Buffy and some Spuffy action in the next chapter also! Tee hee!

Also, if any of you are reading my other story ‘To Know The Human Heart’ then you may recognize the restaurant La Mezzanote In Milano. I thought it would be fun to use familiar names from other stories about Sunnydale, CA, such as this one and the Bronze, etc.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.