Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow....it's been ages since I've updated this and I hope you all still want to read it.

Thank you.
THE WORLD IS MINE

Chapter 20: ‘Disappointment and Disdain’


Buffy lay in her husband’s arms; his strong embrace a comfort to her.

Yes, her life had finally come full circle and Buffy was truly happy for the first time in years.

She was married to a great guy; her in-laws seemingly adored her on first sight and she was going to have a child in less then eight months.

Things were perfect, absolutely perfect, especially since she had come to this conclusion in this beautiful honeymoon suite.

Haddon, England; what a ride!

It felt right to Buffy, finally, to lay in a man’s arms and feel completely content and well…safe. Yes, safe she felt and it felt wonderful.

Wasn’t it okay to ‘feel safe’ for once, even if she was a usually strong, self-confident woman. (Okay, the self-confident bit was probably an overstatement here).

Anyway, it was kind of nice, for once, to depend on someone else (even a man!) to make her feel completely loved and safe; and yes, completely adored.

Oh yes, Buffy’s life was just perfect now that fate had decided to take a holiday from screwing in up.

Of course, fate would just have to step in, again, and shit all over one Buffy Summers. Well….. wouldn’t it?


The phone ring woke Spike up with a start. He bolted up in the bed and desperately searched the unfamiliar room, looking for the source of the bloody annoying ring.

Buffy was sound asleep next to him in their honeymoon bed and Spike would be damned if some random phone call was going to wake his angel.

Spike grabbed his cell phone, conveniently placed next to the bed on the oak end table. After a quick glance at his wife, he glared at the offending device in his hand. The time on the cell phone read 3:46 AM which caused the blond man to be even more pissed then a moment before.

“Who the bloody fuck is calling at…..” he growled, then he noticed the ID signal on the phone.

“William,” Rupert Giles’ stoic voice echoed over the phone line.

“What the fuck is going on Rupes?” Spike rasped, still somewhat asleep.

“You do not need to swear so violently William,” Rupert Giles admonished his nephew.

“Well bloody hell Rupert, it’s just that…..” Spike’s voice trailed off into silence.

“It’s Angel and his wife,” Rupert interjected stoically.

“What’s up then?” Spike asked quietly as he nervously surveyed his sleeping spouse.

“Well, we tracked them down, both of them, up in the northern part of the state,” Giles almost mumbled the statement.

“And…..” Spike muttered harshly to encourage his uncle to continue.

“We lost them,” Rupert replied in a hushed tone.

“Lost them!” Spike yelped in disbelief.

“Not so much lost them,” Giles continued reluctantly. “We think, actually, that Harris and his crew may have caught up with them…..up near a town called Salinas.”

“Oh great Jesus!” Spike growled loudly.

“What’s wrong?” Buffy whispered from her place in the bed. “Who’s on the phone?”

“We’ll call back,” Spike growled into the phone before he nearly slammed it back down on the receiver.

“Will?” Buffy whispered nervously as she sat upright in the once warm bed she shared with her husband.

“Buffy,” Spike began quietly, “it’s Rupert, he……” his voice trailed off when his gaze met his wife’s.

“Sunnyhell, right?” Buffy groaned the question and flopped back down into the bed.

“What is it?” She hissed, almost mimicking her husband’s signature growl to a tee.

“Those bloody gits at the Sunnydale Police Department have located Crawford and his wife,” Spike began with an apprehensive sigh.

“But that’s of the good, right?” Buffy jolted up once again and smiled slightly, unaware of the bad news to follow.

“Well…..not so of the good,” Spike mumbled.


They flew back to America immediately, of course, Buffy and Spike did.
It was absolute that they did, even if it meant Buffy had to leave behind the beautiful new country she had just discovered…..and fallen in love with.

Buffy was a wife, a soon-to-be-mother and a woman, naturally, but she was also a police detective and a good one at that. The case against Xander and Frank Harris was important to her, and to her husband.

It would simply have to come first, even if Buffy cried halfway back across the Atlantic Ocean.

On a brighter note, she only cried during their takeoff from Kennedy Airport in New York!

“How much did Rupert tell you?” Buffy had asked Spike as they quickly packed their bags back in Haddon.

“Only as much as he knew, I guess,” Spike replied half-heartedly.

The blond man was well aware how much this Harris business affected his wife and he hated it fiercely.

Spike never realized just how much he could hate before he had gone to America. This whole Harris business nearly made him go around the bend; what that fucking family had done to his Buffy, especially that bastard Xander!

Then again, on the other side of the coin, Spike finally had found true love with Buffy. Now there was something to be immensely grateful for and he would never forget that either.

While he watched his wife sleep, somewhere over some Godforsaken city in Arizona, Spike smiled tenderly down at her.

Buffy’s snored ever so slightly when she slept soundly, like a kitten fast asleep. This was something Spike found quite endearing. He reached out and softly stroked her noticeably pooched and dear little tummy just under the plane’s safety belt.

Their child rested in that dear little tummy, Spike’s and Buffy’s little baby slept soundly there.

‘I’ll never let anyone hurt you baby,’ he silently promised his wife. ‘Or you little sprog,’ he added warmly to his child.

‘I will rip Xander and the whole fucking Harris clan apart piece by piece before I let them harm one hair on either of your heads,’ Spike finished with a slight growl.

It was William Giles oath to his little family…..and to God.


{Back in Sunnyhell!}


“I don’t like it,” Frank Harris grumbled roughly, his forehead tensely crunched up.

At just that moment, Xander thought his younger brother looked sixty at least. That was just too fucking bad…that his baby brother had decided to ‘gain conscience’ at this point in the game.

“It’s gotta be done,” Xander muttered roughly in reply. He turned to the expensive oaken bard to pour a good stiff drink of whisky for himself.

“Why bother with them?” Anya asked innocently enough. She hated the weak whimper in her tone and took a deep gulp of air to calm herself.

Xander’s wife had directed her question at her husband, even though her brown eyes seemed to be focused on his brother Frank.

“Jesse and Scott have that fucking moron up in Salinas; him and his bitch of a wife,” Xander growled, angrily taking a deep gulp of whisky.

“So we’re gonna’ just go up there and fuck with them? Make Angel and his wife talk shit and…..” Frank’s voice trailed off when he noticed his older brother’s surly glare.

“That’s right,” Xander replied gruffly, slamming his empty glass down on the nearest table.

“We’ll all take a crack at Angel, if we have to,” he continued matter-of-factly. “Don’t worry baby,” he added quickly with a reassuring glance at Anya, “I don’t intend on hurting Darla or the baby.”

“Oh,” Anya whispered in slight disbelief as she sat down in the chair next to the little end table.

Frank shifted in obvious discomfort in the chair on the other side of the end table, his gaze focused on his lap.

His mind made up; Xander flopped down on his easy chair and leaned back as far as he could. He closed his eyes, momentarily, then opened them again and stared in contemplation at Anya and Frank.

Xander noticed that his wife was clearly disturbed by his plans; hell, even Frank looked visibly upset.

The slight disdain in Anya’s lovely dark eyes was noted by Xander and he knew it was directed at him. He conveniently chose to ignore it. This was business and his wife would just have to accept that.

The elder Harris also noticed that Anya was as white as a ghost, while Frank was an ugly shade of sickly green.

As observant as he usually was, Xander failed to notice something extremely important. His wife’s slender left hand, clasped in Frank’s, carefully hidden under the little antique table that just slightly separated them.


Tbc……


Chapter End Notes:
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to put this here, but here goes:

I'm hoping to finish this one up in the next few chapters.

Thank you for your patience.