Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading and please review.
THE WORLD IS MINE


Summary: Buffy gets plastered and the fun begins. Will Spike succumb to a seductive, inebriated Buffy? (Now, what do you think?)

Later, Xander and Anya make some plans for their future; or at least Anya does.

Buffy begins to reveal her past history with Xander and some other beloved BTVS characters.


Chapter 3: ‘Lesson The First: The Soul Guardian’





“Okay, so you slap a pinch of salt on your wrist; then bite into the cut lime and finally take a shot of tequila!” Buffy was in the process of explaining the proper way to drink tequila shots to Spike.

They had stopped in at a favorite local bar of Buffy’s, or pub as her new best buddy from England called it. It was almost a neighborhood bar, located fairly close to her condo and Buffy felt pretty comfortable here.

Willie’s Bar and Grill wasn’t exactly top shelf, but it wasn’t exactly low scale either. At the moment, Buffy was sitting next to Spike, probably a bit too close for just friendly really. She leaned against the bar counter, giggling wildly while she watched Spike try and master the art of tequila shots.

“Not bad for a newbie!” Buffy laughed gleefully when Spike again got the process mixed up and sunk his teeth into the lime first.

“It’s lick; bite and drink!” Buffy squealed in delight, only too happy to show him the proper order once again. She noted that her companion suddenly appeared to double in numbers and he had a most wicked smirk on his handsome mouth.

“What?” Buffy asked innocently with a frown at her annoyingly blurry bleached blond friend.

“You,” Spike chuckled deeply; he reached out and gallantly steadied Buffy’s petite little body. The shiver that he felt down his spine when he felt her bare shoulder was anything but noble however. Especially when she spoke those suddenly seductive words that just rolled out of her delectable little mouth.

‘I better cut her off from the liquor,’ he reasoned logically. The truth was this; he rather liked his delectable little companion like this.

The devil’s advocate inside of his brain was assuring Spike that this might be a good time to get Buffy home. However his ‘DA’ as Spike had just nicknamed him was not advising any type of noble or gentlemanly behavior. Not at all.

Rather, ‘DA’ was suggesting all kinds of delicious things for Spike to do to Buffy. None of them had anything to do with getting Buffy home and sobering her up. Any time soon anyway.

“I’m thinking we should get you home,” Spike sighed as he took hold of Buffy’s slim arm.

“Why, are you drunk?” Buffy asked him with a mischievous grin.

“No, I’m completely sober,” he chuckled in reply, maneuvering her up from the bar stool.

“That’s because you’re not doing it right!” Buffy squealed in exasperation. “You’re not licking first, you're…..”

Spike leaned in and whispered into Buffy’s warm, adorable little right ear, “I think you’ve had a bit much, pet. I'm afraid its time to get you home at least. You haven’t even told me about this soul guardian thing. Let’s get you home to your place and I’ll make you some coffee, or better yet, tea, yeah?”

“Kay,” Buffy whined in defeat as she allowed her ‘date’ to escort her carefully out of Willie’s Bar and Grill. “See ya’ Willie!” Buffy screeched loudly as Spike led her out of the front door of the establishment.

“See ya’ Slayer,” Willie muttered with a shake of his rapidly thinning haired head.

"Mental note to yourself, mate," Spike mumbled under his breath. ‘Find out just why Buffy Summers is nicknamed ‘Slayer’ by the local townspeople.’

Buffy allowed Spike to maneuver her through the ever growing bar clientele and out into the dark street. She even let him open the passenger door of his rented Cadillac and help her into the car seat.

They finally made it back to Buffy’s condo; Spike had driven like a fucking altar boy all the way of course. No way was he going to get pulled over by the local boys in blue; not with a very drunken Sunnydale cop in his rental car.

“I can see my way into my own place,” Buffy slurred indignantly. She was a bit put out when her ‘date’ appeared to be getting out of the driver’s seat and heading around to…..

“You couldn’t see your way to the loo at this point,” Spike countered with an evil chuckle. “And if you don’t let me walk you inside and see you to bed safely? I’ll bloody throw you over my shoulder and carry you inside, sweetling. What’s your choice then?”

“I’ll go quietly,” Buffy mumbled in defeat as she allowed Spike to take her arm and lead her to her own front door.

“The key,” Spike ordered evenly, somewhat surprised when Buffy handed her condo key over, almost willingly.


“Xander!” Anya’s shrill voice echoed from the penthouse master bedroom.

Xander Harris cringed in anticipation of what was to come; then he poured himself another whisky.

“Christ, maybe I should have left the shrew back in LA,” Harris grumbled in exasperation.

“Xander!” Anya screeched again, but this time she was standing right in front of him; her arms crossed over her very ample breasts.

“Yes oh sweet one,” Xander muttered through gritted teeth as he took a strengthening drink from his glass.

“How could you stand there, like a fucking fool, in front of everyone who is anyone in Sunnydale and allow that bitch to…..”
Anya’s angry question was interrupted by her ‘other’ half.

“Uhm, Ahn, what should I have done,” Xander asked patiently; his right dark eyebrow was quirked up. “Bitch slap Buffy right there in front of Sunnydale’s elite?” He frowned at the vision of him slapping his little blond angel at all; much less in front of anyone at any time.

“Christ!” Anya spat in disgust before she turned and headed to the expensive looking bar in the penthouse. “If I’d have been there, I’d have kicked the little self-righteous cunt into next week!” She poured herself a whisky and flopped down on a nearby bar stool.

“You know, Ahn,” Xander sighed as he eyed his significant other, warily, “I think I’ve told you time and again; don’t use such fucking ignorant terms like cunt, twat or even bitch. It just speaks volumes about your less then stellar upbringing, baby,” he finished with a dark smirk.

“Fuck you,” Anya growled before draining her whisky glass.

“Of course you will,” Xander retorted in his snarkiest tone. “And, you’re quite good at ‘that’ aren’t you honey?”

“Oh, hell, I can’t stay mad at you,” Anya grumbled in defeat. She slammed her glass on the oak bar counter and scampered over to her lover.

After Anya placed her voluptuous rump in Xander’s welcoming lap, she nestled into him. He stroked her bare arms, lovingly, and hummed into her ear.

“You know I love you, don’t you, baby?” He asked suddenly; somewhat unsure of his girl’s answer.

“I know you do,” Anya sighed deeply as she snuggled up even closer to Xander. “I just hate that bitch, Buffy Summers,” she muttered under her breath.

“You know I can’t personally harm Buffy, don’t you babe?” Xander asked Anya for the hundredth time.

“I know,” the woman in his arms mumbled. "I also know why you can't harm an unnatural blond hair on precious Buffy's head," she sighed in frustration. It doesn’t mean I like it though,” she added with a pretty pout.

“If I take out or fuck over everyone in Buffy’s inner circle,” Xander continued seriously. “Then it’ll destroy her, eventually,” he finished in a whisper.

The couple sat like that, in silence, for at least ten or fifteen minutes. They cuddled and snuggled each other, much like most ‘normal’ couples. Then, Anya dropped her bombshell…..

“I wanna’ get married, as soon as possible,” the brunette woman stated evenly.

“What?” Xander hissed, nearly pushing his delightful bundle off of his lap.

“I wanna’ get married and have a baby,” Anya whined defensively. “Jesus, Xand, we’ve been together for what; five years? You promised, right from the start that I’d have your last name and your babies, soon. What was that? Lip service?”

Xander Harris felt like he was completely cornered, but he took a deep breath and swallowed hard. If he had any self-preserving senses at all, Xander’s biggest one was the ability to talk his way out of uncomfortable corners. This ability had served him well in the past and it would prove to buy him time now.

“Yeah,” he mumbled slowly as he pulled Anya back into his tight embrace. “I did, didn’t I?”

“You did,” Anya reminded him, yet again. She was sitting there, watching her boyfriend’s face intently.

“You know what,” Xander began carefully; his dark eyes seemed to dance with joy. “I think you’re right. We ‘should’ get married and as soon as possible. What do you say, Ahn, next week; right here in good old Sunnyhell. You can have a big wedding, or if you want, we’ll just go down to city hall and tie the knot. Maybe that’s the ticket, huh? How about a civil ceremony for now and something big and gaudy for later maybe? It will take some time for us to track down your mom; then she can attend the church wedding. What do you say Anya?”

Xander was pretty proud of himself; he had completely skirted around the whole ‘baby’ issue. After all, the world hardly needed any more fucked up children in it and Xander/Anya offspring would have been as fucked up as they come.

“Yeah, we’ll get married, as soon as possible,” Xander whispered tenderly into his girl’s ear.


“Set yourself down,” Buffy ordered Spike with a drunken giggle.

He did as he was told of course but he watched his tipsy charge with a careful eye.

“Want a nightcap?” Buffy asked seductively with a saucy little wink at her guest.

“I think we’ve both had enough Princess,” Spike replied evenly. “I did promise to make you some coffee or tea though,” he added.
“I’ll just head into your kitchen and…..”

“What about me?” Buffy purred softly as she closed the gap between Spike and herself. She swung her tight little hips as she sashayed over to a very stunned bleached blond hunky male.

“You didn’t say ‘me’ in the coffee and tea thingy,” she whimpered lowly and pouted.

“Buffy,” Spike sighed, “you don’t know what you’re saying, much less what you’re doing. Let me go into the kitchen and fetch us some tea, yeah? I’ll make it strong and…..”

Buffy snuggled up to her victim and grinned up at him wickedly. “You’re gonna’ stand there and tell me you’re not interested in me?” She tilted her golden head to one side and ran a long slim finger down the front of his stunning blue shirt.

“No, I’m not going to stand here and lie to you. I am ‘interested’ in you, of course; but…..” He paused briefly and thought about his next words carefully.

‘This is going to be hard,’ he reasoned silently. Something else on Spike’s anatomy was already pretty fucking hard too and Buffy was not making this any easier. If she rubbed up against him one more time and…..

“I’m not going to take advantage of you,” Spike blurted out suddenly, even with his arms wrapped about Buffy tightly.

“I want you, no question, have for some time,” he added with a derisive chuckle. “But ain’t gonna’ make love to you tonight and have you forget it all in the mornin’ sweetheart. I want you to remember everything that happens between us and I’m afraid that in the condition you're in; well, you’ll just regret it in the morning.”

“Oh,” Buffy whispered in wide eyed shock. This was something different for her, wasn’t it? A guy that didn’t want to take advantage of her; imagine that? Wow!

“Oh,” she repeated again, a little louder this time. Buffy frowned up at Spike, but then smiled widely. He had the most charming, sincerest grin on his face; it wasn’t condescending or snarky at all.

A warm cozy very unfamiliar feeling crept up through Buffy’s body. Now, she could have explained it as the result of Spike holding her so tightly; almost possessively. However, she had a very strong feeling this unusual sense she was having might just might be more then that.

Buffy could tell by the ‘look’ in Spike’s gorgeous blue eyes that he just might be feeling this too. She carefully disentangled herself from his embrace and backed away from him.

“Sorry,” she murmured shyly; her neck and face were hot and Buffy knew she was probably the color of a ripe red tomato. Buffy felt suddenly stone-cold sober and hit by a wave of embarrassment and shame.

“No apologies,” Spike murmured softly with that ‘lovely smile’ of his still plastered on his handsome mouth. “Actually, I’m flattered,” he continued with a warm, kind laugh. “I just want you to be sure about somethin’ like ‘that’ and have it mean somethin’ to you, yeah?”

“Yeah,” Buffy stammered slowly, her face still hot and flushed.

“Uhm, how about that tea then?” She asked quickly; trying to salvage the situation by changing the subject.

Buffy managed to last about ten minutes before she fell blissfully asleep on her own sofa. Spike and she had set there, on the comfy couch, sipping their tea and talking quietly before she dropped off to sleep.

Spike watched his little charge as she slept soundly on her sofa, a little afghan placed lovingly over her tiny frame. He had allowed her to drift off to sleep last night and then laid her down as gently as he could. After placing the convenient afghan over her, Spike kicked off his shoes and took up residence on the Lazy Boy chair that sat across from the sofa.

“Goodnight Princess,” he whispered to her from his make-shift bed. “We’ll have ‘that’ talk in the morning,” he added as an afterthought.

Buffy woke up with a start; immediately struck by the awful pounding in her head. That and the wonderful aroma of something cooking in her kitchen. When she sat up from the sofa, she noticed Spike’s shoes placed carefully next to the couch. His beautiful blue button down shirt was casually laid over the lazy boy’s arm.

“Oh shit!” Buffy gasped when full awareness finally struck her like a fallen brick to her head. “Oh God, I must look like the walking dead,” she groaned; even that took an immense effort.

Spike took that moment to enter her living room; a make-shift breakfast tray in hand. He looked so damned cute, headed towards her with a ready made meal in hand that Buffy had to smile despite her sour mood or the banging in her brain.

“Well, good mornin’ sleeping beauty,” Spike purred as he set the tray on the coffee table before her. “Oh,” he began again before she could say a word, “don’t even think about not eating all of this fine breakfast I’ve made you. You need the food and the energy because we are finally going to have that talk we were supposed to have last night.”

Buffy felt like a complete idiot, especially since she suddenly remembered how she had behaved last night. The fact that the guy was still here, waiting on her hand and foot made her feel even more useless. Well, okay so actually she felt like a freaking queen at the moment.

‘A girl could get used to this,’ Buffy giggled to herself gleefully. Then that huge hammer in her head fell, heavily, causing her to scowl in pain.


“Oh God,” Buffy groaned miserably, “it feels like a freaking marching band, led by 76 trombones, is tramping through my head.”

“Well, you did say that alcohol and you were unmixy things, pet,” Spike reminded her. There was a somewhat wicked smirk on his mouth but Buffy decided to let that go.

“Okay,” she sighed, “I’ll be good and eat, besides, I’m starved for some reason.” She picked up her fork and began to munch down the wonderful eggs that Spike had made her.

“Aren’t you eating,” she asked suspiciously while he eyed her with amusement.

“I ate,” he stated simply. “When I was cooking, I had a nosh or two,” he finished with a shrug. “Didn’t know how long you’d be out and…..”

“I get it,” Buffy mumbled between chews of perfected toasted english muffins. “Coffee?” She asked hopefully, when she spied the delicious looking liquid in a mug on the tray.

“You bet,” Spike chuckled in reply as he sipped his own mug of the fine smelling drink.

“Mmmmm,” Buffy purred while she took a deep, long gulp of the hot, yummy coffee goodness.

When she had finished her breakfast; every bite of it, Buffy drank another cup of coffee and wiped her mouth daintily on her napkin. She leaned back into the couch and grinned over at her own personal cook, waiter and apparent miracle healer.

“Now,” she murmured lowly, her nervousness betrayed her inner anxiety. “Now I think I’m ready to discuss this whole obsession of Xander’s. About me I mean and this idea he has about me being his soul’s guardian angel.”

“I think we need more coffee first,” Spike said evenly as he stood to retrieve the coffee from the kitchen. “You lay back and relax,” he continued with gentle authority, “I’ve a feeling that this is going to take some time, yeah?”

“Let me ask you something, Spike,” Buffy began with a cautious tone. “Are you a religious man?”

Spike raised his scarred left brow and eyed Buffy warily. “I was raised Catholic,” he replied evenly. “Am I religious? Do I practice the entire Catholic doctrine or am I a bonafide religious sort? No,” he answered honestly. “However, I am a believer of sorts. Why?”

“You did graduate from the University though; like your father and your Uncle Rupert,” she asked carefully.

Buffy was always fully aware that religion was a touchy subject; that and abortion rights and politics. She usually stayed clear of these taboo subjects, publicly that is, but this situation warranted an open discussion.

“I did,” Spike responded quickly. Graduating from ‘The University’ had always been a high point in his life. Something Spike was incredibly proud of and nothing he would ever apologize for.

“Then I take it that like your uncle,” Buffy continued matter-of-factly, “you were required to study world religions?”

“Yes,” Spike answer as he squirmed in discomfort in the lazy boy recliner.

“Well, believe it or not, Xander Harris studied religions too,” Buffy continued with a wry smirk. “Are you familiar with the Muslim belief of tit for tat? I mean for a lack of better terminology?”

“If a human being saves another human being’s life,” she continued somberly, “then the one saved owes recompense. That person, the saved one, must save the savior’s life at some point in time. Then, and only then, can the first saved being be free of the responsibility of the other’s human life.”

“I never pegged Harris for a particularly religious man,” Spike gaffawed in response. “Are you saying Xander Harris has to save your life at some time to….”

“He’s not, really. Religious I mean,” Buffy muttered, virtually cutting of Spike’s question. “However, he’s incredibly superstitious,” she finished with a shrug.

“If you think about it,” she continued thoughtfully, “Xander has really saved my ass a few times. In his own, twisted way that is,” she sighed.

“Xander has this notion that since I saved his life when we were kids; that I am forever the keeper of his mortal soul. A guardian angel of his human, soulful entity. If I go the way of death; especially at Xander's own hands somehow? Then his mortal soul is in danger of wallowing in earthly limbo. Not even his beloved girl friend, Anya Jenkins, would be able to save Xander’s soul. She loves Xander, Anya truly does,” Buffy’s voice was barely a whisper.

“Do you believe this bloody rot too?” Spike asked warily as he watched Buffy’s reaction.

“No,” the little blond mumbled, “but it’s enough that Xander believes it. He’s obsessed with the idea; obsessed with me because of it,” she finished sadly.

“Harris is in love with you. You know that, right?” Spike asked carefully as he tried to thwart the wave of jealousy that attempted to overcome him.

“Yes,” she answered simply enough. “But he’s not so emotionally inept that he thinks I reciprocate his feelings. Xander came to grips with my rejection of his affections years ago. That’s why…..”

“He’s hurt you, indirectly, then; a hundred times in a hundred ways?” Spike finished the sentence for her.

Buffy paused momentarily, unsure of how much she should reveal to this virtual stranger before her. Even though he had technically spent the night with her, platonically that is.

“He has,” she whispered quietly. “It started back in college,” Buffy continued gruffly. “Xander went after a friend of mine; I mean a mutual best friend of ours. Willow Rosenberg,” she mumbled reverently.

“What did Harris do to your friend?” Spike asked cautiously. He noted the look of pain that crossed through Buffy’s beautiful green eyes.

“He broke her heart,” Buffy replied in a horrified whisper. “He seduced Willow, when she was far from ready for it and then devastated her emotionally.”

“Harris did this because you didn’t love him?” Spike asked in a subdued tone.

“Xander did it because he knew it would hurt me; to hurt my best friend,” Buffy murmured sorrowfully. “He set out to break Willow’s poor heart, just to break mine indirectly.”

“He’s a fucking monster,” Spike hissed. He leaned over and took Buffy’s tiny, shaking right hand in his.

“Yes, he is,” Buffy whimpered.


A/N: That was weird, huh? Anyway, more history about Buffy, Xander, Willow and yes, Angel and Cordelia in the next chappie!

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.